Uk Bank - Thailand Address.

Does anyone know if it is possible, and will the Bank allow me to change my address from the UK to my Thailand Address...

I am asking on this Forum first, before I ask them.

I have a Barclays Bank account for 30 Years now, and wondered if this is possible.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

I have a number of accounts with NatWest and have held these for a similar length of time.

They have had no problem with addresses in the Middle East and Asia. I was a bit surprised as ATM withdrawals in Thailand often lead to a suspension of the card.

Simon

Thanks for that, i was wondering if Barclays will actualy allow it.

The suspending of Cards, I have had this problem for 10 years until a few months ago, i noticed on there online banking website, that you can actualy fill in your details for up to 90 days abroad, and when the time runs out , you can keep on doing it, this saves having to ring them to take the block off the card... very handy.

I still am not sure if they will allow me to change all my address details to my Thailand address,, with it being a UK Barclays account.

I dont think they will allow iyou to change your address as they will want to know if you are a no longer resident in the UK.

If you are a non resident they will not allow you to open an account

I do not want to open an Account, I already have one for over 20 Years.

I just wanted to know if i can change my address on my account to be Thailand even though i am still a UK citizen, retired in Thailand.

I dont think they will allow iyou to change your address as they will want to know if you are a no longer resident in the UK.

I do not want to open an Account, I already have one for over 20 Years.

I just wanted to know if i can change my address on my account to be Thailand even though i am still a UK citizen, retired in Thailand.

My barclay credit card has a Thai address and the statements come here but they will not send a new card to the Thai address.

Halifax bank allowed me to do this with no problem.

However it does seem to be whoever you speak to you get a different answer, i spoke to telephone banking and they said i would have to write a letter to my branch, i then phoned the direct number for changing my address with the bank and they let me change it over the telephone [after answering security questions]

You can also have a correspondence address, i have my address listed as here but any mail ATM cards etc go to a relative in the UK.

I have had an account with Citibank in London for about 8 years. Last week I had a letter from them telling me that as I no longer appeared to be resident in UK, (well, yes for about 7 years), they would have to close my account. I'm not sure why this trend seems to be happening - non residents not being allowed bank accounts in UK. The irony is that my account was with Citibank INTERNATIONAL, part of their GLOBAL banking division. Clearly neither international nor global. I thought Citibank was indeed an international bank, but it appears no longer to be so.

I have moved my funds to HSBC in UK. It is indeed an international bank, and I can access through a thing called the internet. You would have thought these advances in technology would enable the likes of Citi to cope with international banking, but it seems to have gone backwards. Perhaps because they're now owned by the US taxpayer?

Edited by samtam

Hi, i'm interested in this also,, my Bank of Scotland branch in UK did not allow me to change my personal details to my thai address (although I tried via the telebanking and not in person), but they allowed me to change my telephone contact to my thai number, i'm travelling back to UK soon and I think I will pay my branch a visit to see whether I can do it in person.

Halifax bank allowed me to do this with no problem

However it does seem to be whoever you speak to you get a different answer, i spoke to telephone banking and they said i would have to write a letter to my branch, i then phoned the direct number for changing my address with the bank and they let me change it over the telephone [after answering security questions]

You can also have a correspondence address, i have my address listed as here but any mail ATM cards etc go to a relative in the UK.

I had to go

Back to Uk to change address to thai address with Santander. They won't send debit card but sent creditcard instead. Internet banking is what you need. Get a depost account here and transfer from Uk. I use Hifx

If using creditcards must be registered In Uk

Use bacs

Hi, i'm interested in this also,, my Bank of Scotland branch in UK did not allow me to change my personal details to my thai address (although I tried via the telebanking and not in person), but they allowed me to change my telephone contact to my thai number, i'm travelling back to UK soon and I think I will pay my branch a visit to see whether I can do it in person.

Halifax bank allowed me to do this with no problem

Hi try calling this number 08457 39 49 59. and ask them to change your address

As i said earlier telephone banking would not allow me to change my address over the phone, they were adamant about this, i tried the above number and changed it with no problem, this number is for changing address and it will give you the option to speak to someone regarding changing your address when you call them, as long as you have telephone or internet banking and can answer the security questions it should be no problem

Google "halifax bank change of address" for more info.

I have banked with Barclays for over 30 years. Five years ago I moved to Thailand and there was no problem changing my address.

Barclays do post debit cards (connect cards)to me as well as monthly bank statements. Last time my card was due for renewal it was "lost" in the post twice so they had it sent by DHL.

I don't use credit cards, but I believe that Barclays (Visa) will not post new cards to Thailand.

Edit to add - I was in the UK when I notified Barclays of my new address in Thailand. It might be a bit more difficult to do it over the phone from here.

Edited by chickenslegs

My advice -DON'T TRY! They may either now, or at some point in the future, close your account, which might be very inconvenient for you.

There was a thread on this previously where I included this link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/offshorefinance/8193761/Banks-have-lottery-style-approach-to-expats-who-want-to-retain-UK-bank-accounts.html

It basically says the law on whether you can be an expat and still keep a UK bank account open is unclear, and being interpreted in different ways by different banks, and sometimes differently for different clients within the same bank.

Before I lived in LOS I was in the US, and after about 7 years got a letter from Barclaycard saying as I had a non-UK address they were going to close down my Visa account! Now I know Barclaycard and Barclays Bank are different but related companies, but I wasn't going to risk Barclays bank closing my account as well, so I gave them a UK address when I moved here.

With anti-terrorism laws and the US forcing all foreign banks to fit in with their tax laws and report all clients information to them I can only suppose that as time goes on UK banks are going to become increasingly unwilling to accommodate expat clients .

My outlook is that eventually it will become impossible for UK expats to keep UK onshore accounts and I am basing my actions on this assumption.

What I have done is inform Barclays UK (banked with them for 30 yrs also) that my address is my sister's house in the UK, and as a back-up I've opened an offshore account that would allow me to do all the UK banking that I need, in case Barclays UK become aware that I don't really live in the UK (eg by some software analysis alerting them to the fact that most of my cash gets transferred to LOS).

Problem is, decent offshore accounts that allow you to pay bills, set up standing orders etc . in the UK, but do not charge huge fees, are nowadays pretty hard to find, (and hard to open once you find them).

Let sleeping dogs lie is my advice.

-

Yep, I know I have said it before.

The UK is self-proclaimed centre of international finance.

It is a joke. They offer the world's worst service to us "little people".

They do not want our money, "small" depositors and current account holders are a pain in the arse, particularly if we live abroad. Only if you want to take out a debt will they really want to talk to you. Was that 30 years one poster said he had banked with a bank? Sorry, but loyalty when it comes to banks is an outdated currency. Means absolutely nothing, all the Mr Mainwarings are defunct as the dodo. You have to constantly recheck to ensure that you are getting the best deal around, customer loyalty is used to cynically rob you.

.end of rant.

Yep, I know I have said it before.

The UK is self-proclaimed centre of international finance.

It is a joke. They offer the world's worst service to us "little people".

They do not want our money, "small" depositors and current account holders are a pain in the arse, particularly if we live abroad. Only if you want to take out a debt will they really want to talk to you. Was that 30 years one poster said he had banked with a bank? Sorry, but loyalty when it comes to banks is an outdated currency. Means absolutely nothing, all the Mr Mainwarings are defunct as the dodo. You have to constantly recheck to ensure that you are getting the best deal around, customer loyalty is used to cynically rob you.

.end of rant.

Might be the end of the rant.........but it was a bloody good one !!!!:lol:

Well thought out and bang on the money (no pun intended ;) )

Getting back to the OPs and some other posters questions, though, what i would do is check the T&Cs of your particular bank, with regards to being "overseas" while banking with them for any length of time, and recheck for any amendments, codicils etc.

Penkoprod

My advice -DON'T TRY! They may either now, or at some point in the future, close your account, which might be very inconvenient for you.

http://www.telegraph...k-accounts.html

It basically says the law on whether you can be an expat and still keep a UK bank account open is unclear, and being interpreted in different ways by different banks, and sometimes differently for different clients within the same bank.

Before I lived in LOS I was in the US, and after about 7 years got a letter from Barclaycard saying as I had a non-UK address they were going to close down my Visa account! Now I know Barclaycard and Barclays Bank are different but related companies, but I wasn't going to risk Barclays bank closing my account as well, so I gave them a UK address when I moved here.

With anti-terrorism laws and the US forcing all foreign banks to fit in with their tax laws and report all clients information to them I can only suppose that as time goes on UK banks are going to become increasingly unwilling to accommodate expat clients .

My outlook is that eventually it will become impossible for UK expats to keep UK onshore accounts and I am basing my actions on this assumption.

What I have done is inform Barclays UK (banked with them for 30 yrs also) that my address is my sister's house in the UK, and as a back-up I've opened an offshore account that would allow me to do all the UK banking that I need, in case Barclays UK become aware that I don't really live in the UK (eg by some software analysis alerting them to the fact that most of my cash gets transferred to LOS).

Problem is, decent offshore accounts that allow you to pay bills, set up standing orders etc . in the UK, but do not charge huge fees, are nowadays pretty hard to find, (and hard to open once you find them).

-

Dangerous misinformation that only allows 12D to rant again !

There is NO law that says somebody residing overseas cannot maintain a UK bank account ( no more than a UK resident cannot open a US$ account in America).

Forget about Money Laundering Rules (and addresses) because we are talking about existing accounts - not new.

Many banks actually have R85 forms (for gross interest) for anyone who is "non-resident for tax purposes",. Care with Nationwide - my last recollection was that if you are non-resident they will push you towards a Nationwide International account. You cannot have a Flexaccount if you are not a UK resident. (no problem as this account has lost it's appeal).

My recommendation is to advise the bank of 2 addresses. One in the UK (even if it is sister/brother etc) and one in Thailand. You can choose your main correspondence address.

If you have a UK bank account, and you live in Thailand, the only risk is of bank ignorance and their inability to deal with anything in a grey area. They have templates/work flows that they are programmed to follow and Buddha help you if you fall between their black and white parameters.

The secret is making yourself independent. Get an Internet bank where YOU are in control. I have several UK bank accounts but recommend Halifax for ease of operation, general efficiency and cost.

-

There is NO law that says somebody residing overseas cannot maintain a UK bank account ( no more than a UK resident cannot open a US$ account in America).

Forget about Money Laundering Rules (and addresses) because we are talking about existing accounts - not new.

Many banks actually have R85 forms (for gross interest) for anyone who is "non-resident for tax purposes",. Care with Nationwide - my last recollection was that if you are non-resident they will push you towards a Nationwide International account. You cannot have a Flexaccount if you are not a UK resident. (no problem as this account has lost it's appeal).

My recommendation is to advise the bank of 2 addresses. One in the UK (even if it is sister/brother etc) and one in Thailand. You can choose your main correspondence address.

If you have a UK bank account, and you live in Thailand, the only risk is of bank ignorance and their inability to deal with anything in a grey area. They have templates/work flows that they are programmed to follow and Buddha help you if you fall between their black and white parameters.

The secret is making yourself independent. Get an Internet bank where YOU are in control. I have several UK bank accounts but recommend Halifax for ease of operation, general efficiency and cost.

Sorry but I don't understand exactly why you are calling this misinformation. Do you not believe the article that I linked to?

Here the UK Daily Telegraph reports in detail what I said in my post. I'm not sure if you mean I am misinformed, or that article is?

It seems to me that a fairly strong case for what I'm saying can be made from reading that article, which refers to several customers' actual experiences and to a campaign that is being undertaken by a consumers' group to try to get banks to clarify or improve the position for the sake of expat clients.

I think it's also worth pointing out that even if there is no law against expats having UK onshore accounts, there is no obligation on banks to keep them open, and if it presents the slightest difficulty or reporting regulation that will cost them money thay can just refuse, law or not. All banks say in their terms and regulations that they can close your account if they want to, for any reason , or no reason at all.

But if you have information that I don't know about that makes this Daily Telegraph article misinformed or no longer applicable, I'd be really grateful if you could share it, because I'd really like to know!

Cheers

-

Sorry but I don't understand exactly why you are calling this misinformation. Do you not believe the article that I linked to?

Here the UK Daily Telegraph reports in detail what I said in my post. I'm not sure if you mean I am misinformed, or that article is?

It seems to me that a fairly strong case for what I'm saying can be made from reading that article, which refers to several customers' actual experiences and to a campaign that is being undertaken by a consumers' group to try to get banks to clarify or improve the position for the sake of expat clients.

I think it's also worth pointing out that even if there is no law against expats having UK onshore accounts, there is no obligation on banks to keep them open, and if it presents the slightest difficulty or reporting regulation that will cost them money thay can just refuse, law or not. All banks say in their terms and regulations that they can close your account if they want to, for any reason , or no reason at all.

But if you have information that I don't know about that makes this Daily Telegraph article misinformed or no longer applicable, I'd be really grateful if you could share it, because I'd really like to know!

Cheers

I agree with the above. The fact is that the clearing banks will not open a normal current account for a non resident, and nor will they accept investments. This likely lmeans if they establish that you are non resident they will at some time in the future want to close the account. Of course the rules on residence and domicile are totally unclear so you may be able to claim you are a resident, but in that case you will also be liable for UK tax if you are not paying it. If you dig too deep it is very complicated to live in both countries. Best not to rock the boat. I find when I use my debit card on the internet it is constantly blocked even if I have already told them I spend a lot of time here

It only took a Google search for me to find 3 such banks and it was easy to open an account with the one I chose.

UK law relating to whether non-residents can hold bank accounts is extremely clear: there is no law at all prohibiting it. Not even a sniff of a law.

However, there are anti money-laundering laws that require banks to take steps to identify customers, by requiring information about identity (sight of a passport, or certified copy thereof) and about address (sight of an official document bearing name and address, or certified copy thereof).

This applies even to existing customers, so you may find that your bank of 30 years standing may ask for documentation one day, if they dont have it on file already.

Some banks find it easier just not to bother with all that and so refuse to open accounts for new customers living abroad, or close existing accounts for people who move abroad. But it is the bank's choice, and has nothing to do with any law.

Needless to say, if your account has hardly anything in it they will be much more likely to close it than if you have thousands on deposit.

My main UK bank account is provided by one of the "big four" who also hold all my shares on a Crest nominee account in the stockbroker arm, and they also have about GBP80,000 on deposit. I dont see them objecting to me living in Thailand any time soon. In fact if I told them I lived on the moon they would probably not be bothered either.

Cheers

I don't doubt the report. It is, however, highly selective and I would certainly not regard it as gospel

I do doubt the reasoning behind your recommendation and I think your 'outlook' is flawed. The comments regarding "the slightest difficulty or reporting regulation that will cost them money" is pure conjecture for which there is no evidence. There is no business logic in spending huge sums of money attracting customers and the say "oops. we have an expat - let's close his account". Darrel is far nearer the truth -if you have 80 Grand on deposit they will not give a toss where you live (as long as you have previously satisfied MLR :)).

As others have stated there is no legal reason why an expat cannot maintain a UK account. The reality of trying to open one without a UK address is somewhat different.

However, I think it HIGHLY unlikely that existing customers are ever going to be "re-screened" for MLR.

Let us just take HSBC as an example "The World's Local Bank" with branches in 79? countries. Slightly incongruous for them to start telling expats to close UK accounts !

The issue (as usual these days) is dealing with low-level employees who either provide wrong information or are simply following a black and white script that does not allow for any 'grey area'.

I think we should try and avoid scare-mongering and concentrate on the things that ensure that those of us with UK accounts continue to enjoy such service. I have 5 UK bank accounts and I have no intention of losing any of them. My current recommendation remains Halifax.

Cheers

I don't doubt the report. It is, however, highly selective and I would certainly not regard it as gospel

I do doubt the reasoning behind your recommendation and I think your 'outlook' is flawed. The comments regarding "the slightest difficulty or reporting regulation that will cost them money" is pure conjecture for which there is no evidence. There is no business logic in spending huge sums of money attracting customers and the say "oops. we have an expat - let's close his account". Darrel is far nearer the truth -if you have 80 Grand on deposit they will not give a toss where you live (as long as you have previously satisfied MLR :)).

As others have stated there is no legal reason why an expat cannot maintain a UK account. The reality of trying to open one without a UK address is somewhat different.

However, I think it HIGHLY unlikely that existing customers are ever going to be "re-screened" for MLR.

Let us just take HSBC as an example "The World's Local Bank" with branches in 79? countries. Slightly incongruous for them to start telling expats to close UK accounts !

The issue (as usual these days) is dealing with low-level employees who either provide wrong information or are simply following a black and white script that does not allow for any 'grey area'.

I think we should try and avoid scare-mongering and concentrate on the things that ensure that those of us with UK accounts continue to enjoy such service. I have 5 UK bank accounts and I have no intention of losing any of them. My current recommendation remains Halifax.

OK , I agree it's just my opinion, but not pulled out of the air. I've has experience of threatened closure of Visa card account, and actual closure of a brokerage account ( Barclays Stockbrokers), merely for having a non-UK address.

As regards rescreening for money laundering activities, I had a B & B offshore account in the IOM for many years, and was asked once during that period to reconfirm my identity and address details with notarised documents. This was unrelated to any activity in the account, which I deposited around 75k GBP in and just left there with nothing going in or out. So banks do sometimes carry out checks in mid-stream so to speak.

Plus my favourite article does say:

"A spokesman for the Financial Services Authority (FSA) said: “According to the Treasury’s anti money-laundering regulations and handbook, banks are not prohibited from issuing accounts to British customers living abroad.

"Under the Treasury's 'Know Your Customer' or KYC regulations, however, it is recommended that firms apply ‘enhanced due diligence’ to customers abroad, as risks of money-laundering are higher."

A lot of banks also have a motivation to push you into their offshore service because these usually charge higher fees.

I think it's worth making people aware of these possibilities and I guess time will tell on this one whether my worries are justified or not.

Cheers

Edited by partington

I have a Barclays account, 2 in fact. Changing the UK address to a Thai address or back again causes no issues in my experience. I have changed the addresses both ways on numerious ocassions without any questions. Debt cards sent to Thai address no problems.

The only non related issue I had was when I tried to open a UK Western Union account online. They insisted I had a UK billing address. They subsequently lost business on that ocassion.

I also regularly transfer up to 5000 pounds from my UK account to my Thai Kasikorn Account. Again no issues.

Happy Banking

OK , I agree it's just my opinion, but not pulled out of the air. I've has experience of threatened closure of Visa card account, and actual closure of a brokerage account ( Barclays Stockbrokers), merely for having a non-UK address.

As regards rescreening for money laundering activities, I had a B & B offshore account in the IOM for many years, and was asked once during that period to reconfirm my identity and address details with notarised documents. This was unrelated to any activity in the account, which I deposited around 75k GBP in and just left there with nothing going in or out. So banks do sometimes carry out checks in mid-stream so to speak.

Plus my favourite article does say:

"A spokesman for the Financial Services Authority (FSA) said: “According to the Treasury’s anti money-laundering regulations and handbook, banks are not prohibited from issuing accounts to British customers living abroad.

"Under the Treasury's 'Know Your Customer' or KYC regulations, however, it is recommended that firms apply ‘enhanced due diligence’ to customers abroad, as risks of money-laundering are higher."

A lot of banks also have a motivation to push you into their offshore service because these usually charge higher fees.

I think it's worth making people aware of these possibilities and I guess time will tell on this one whether my worries are justified or not.

Cheers

A couple of points, which are just my opinion:-

1. UK address. Vitally important to have one. No problem in having an overseas correspondence address as well. For the fun of it you could even regularly change your prime address just to keep the bank on it's toes :). They don't really care where you live but MLR (or their interpretation of it) will drive their actions.

2. The B & B action is most unusual - possibly catching up with their MLR requirements. The requirement for notarised documents may have been the driver. When MLR was introduced most banks satisfied themselves that sufficient records were held to tick the boxes on address verification and ID. These two requirements have become a bug-bear for consumers - leading to a situation where a convicted Muslim cleric with a passport could buy government bonds whilst a 75 year old grandmother was declined a purchase.

3. I think the quote you have recited from the article refers to new 'customers abroad. KYC is part of account opening procedures.

4. Nationwide are the only bank I know of that does not allow non-residents to have a current product i.e. the Flexaccount. They specifically direct you to Nationwide International. Mai Bpen Rai - the Flexaccount has lost it's sparkle for visitors to/residents of Thailand. Nore: They tolerate existing expat Flexaccount holders.

5. I agree that people should be prepared for any impact on their right to enjoy a UK banking service. I am just concerned that inappropriate behaviour/actions could be driven by unnecessary fears.

In the words of Corporal Jones "Don't panic Captain Mainwaring". :D Keep a watching brief and make sure you have a UK address on file.

A couple of points, which are just my opinion:-

1. UK address. Vitally important to have one. No problem in having an overseas correspondence address as well. For the fun of it you could even regularly change your prime address just to keep the bank on it's toes :). They don't really care where you live but MLR (or their interpretation of it) will drive their actions.

Especially if you want to remain liable for UK taxes.

[

I has a similar request from Lloyds, they had a copy of my passport already but when it expired requested a certified copy of my new one.