Mental Stimulation And Intelligent Conversation In Thailand?

coolhandjoe

If you had to go back several years for a descent conversation you've clearly never tried skydiving

SC

Perhaps we could start a whole new topic on descent conversations... but I don't want to lower the tone.

Descent conversations. I knew this thread was going downhill.

Perhaps we could have a descant discussion about cheap woodwind instruments.

SC

It might even get recorded.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well..there's your first mistake...looking for signs of intelligent conversation of TV, I suspect for the majority of our OAP's TV is the closest they get to any conversation in "proper" English while living in Issan.....:whistling:

I'm curious here - your post implies that an intelligent conversation must take place in English? More so, it has to be "proper English"?

Seeing as the OP posted in what appear to be native English one assumes the intelligent conversation he seeks would be in English as opposed to Swahili or other language,

proper English as opposed to the pigeon English variety which is commonly spoken by farangs who inhabit the wilds of Issan.

So you DO imply that an intelligent conversation must take place in "proper" English? What if the conversation tool place in biblical hebrew? Will it have to be "proper" for the conversation to be intelligent?

Do you have a sore head this morning Forethat? It seems pretty obvious from his reply that he is suggesting that the intelligent conversation that the Op is seeking would be in English, given that the Op obviously speaks and understands it - if the Op had said he also speaks Biblical Hebrew then yes he would also be after intelligent conversation in that language. Both languages being spoke properly certainly helps when conversing.

"Plato, they say, could stick it away;

Half a crate of whiskey every day.

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle"

Where does that quote come from? I've not heard that before.

It is from Monty Python's Philosophers song:

The Philosopher's Song (Monty Python)

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant

Who was very rarely stable.

Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar

Who could think you under the table.

David Hume could out-consume

Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel,

And Wittgenstein was a beery swine

Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya'

'Bout the raising of the wrist.

SOCRATES, HIMSELF, WAS PERMANENTLY PISSED...

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,

On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.

Plato, they say, could stick it away;

Half a crate of whiskey every day.

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,

Hobbes was fond of his dram,

And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart: "I drink, therefore I am"

Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed;

A lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's pissed!

Hey -- thanks for that. I'm gonna check it out on YouTube (if it's there).

While your at it check out mp live at the hollywood bowl..football match with socrates, plato and so on is spellbinding. Not as entrawling as the 100 meter dash for those with no sense of direction, but spellbinding never the less.

I find it ironic that such highly-educated westeners chose LOS as a base and then complain about the lack of stimulating conversation here. Makes me happy to know that our uni's are churning out such highly-intelligent people. Suggestion to those in need of a quick fix-look in the bathroom mirror and say "I am smarter than the average puddy-cat".

White Man's Burden, James.

The irony is more likely lost amongst the heavy contradictions and hypocrisy that lends itself to what might pass as the Superior Paradox.

Blindness befits naturally.

It is reasonable to conclude that zzaa09 (otherwise known on his home planet as, Huh Wutusay ) is using the ThaiVisa Forums to send back messages to the invading party. No doubt there is a piece of equipment--similar to the Enigma Machine--that once appropriated can be used to crack this alien devil's plans for the People of Earth.

[quote name='zzaa09' timestamp='1310053059' post='4542624'

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

More wisdom and depth from Maestro ZZ.

What we have in the post shown above (as will become clear to those who take the time and trouble to study it) is a highly intellectual dissertation on European cheeses.

The Maestro is implying -- with great justification -- that Stilton is on a par with Roquefort and Gorgonzola.

Somewhat mysteriously, he seems to rank Red Leicester higher than Cheddar, and he seems unusually forgiving of Double Gloucester.

As for his veiled references to Parmesan ......... I am afraid his profundity is simply too much for me.

If you had to go back several years for a descent conversation you've clearly never tried skydiving

SC

Perhaps we could start a whole new topic on descent conversations... but I don't want to lower the tone.

SC

We could discuss the smell of a river in Wales; that would be a Dee scent conversation.

Or we could talk about silica gel...

Off topic - I'm clutching at straws now...

SC

SC

SC

We could discuss the smell of a river in Wales; that would be a Dee scent conversation.

Or we could talk about silica gel...

Off topic - I'm clutching at straws now...

SC

For the sake of argumentativeness we could have a dissent conversation.

If you wanted to stretch a point for the sake of economy, we could have a discount conversation

SC

Mental conversation and intelligent stimulation hmmmm, How about now Thailand has it's old goverment duly elected back in will the value of the Baht go back to were it was in 2006.

Im sure many of us hope so! would all the anti Thaksinites be happy with that compromise? Over to you.....

• Like 1

Mental conversation and intelligent stimulation hmmmm, How about now Thailand has it's old goverment duly elected back in will the value of the Baht go back to were it was in 2006.

Im sure many of us hope so! would all the anti Thaksinites be happy with that compromise? Over to you.....

Fat chance of that. The talking heads are stating that the BHT is going to 25:1 against the USD in the coming months. Won't bode well for the GBP or EUR either.

Teaching jobs are easy to get if you don't care about the pay and a work permit. If you are lucky enough to have a BA in Education and a certification to teach in your native country then you can talk here all you want and get paid well for it. Teaching here is fun if you don't need the money.

Sounds like a fantastic diversion. Do you live in Bangkok? Where are these doctoral students you speak of? :)

It is impossible to have such a conversation with a Thai,

Interestingly, I've had many Thais--especially Thai women--tell me that it's virtually impossible to have an intelligent conversation with most farangs. I wonder why that is?

Probably because their English leaves a lot to be desired.

You're on their turf.

Interestingly, I've had many Thais--especially Thai women--tell me that it's virtually impossible to have an intelligent conversation with most farangs. I wonder why that is?

You're on their turf.

That sailed clean over your head, didn't it?

Or maybe I am mis-reading it.

Anyway, I disagree; I think it to make him feel special, in a more munificent sense

SC

You mean the farangs' English I assume. True, it is mostly unintelligible. Strong accents, dialects (Brummie and Geordie prevalent), slang, barbaric idioms. Then you have the typical topics of the conversations--with Thai women in particular . . . .

• 1 year later...

Being the only farang in the viliage i can honestly say i rely on TV for mental stimulation and intelligent conversation in Thailand, I would have gone ting tong without the web here.

Learn Issan you lazy sod. Kow jai bor?

I agree with CoolHandJoe. I’ve lived as the only foreigner in my village part-time for 8 years followed by 9 years fulltime to-date. I speak Thai but can find no stimulating conversation here – only small talk. My attempts to engage in more stimulating conversation usually ends any conversation. It’s not just me – I can’t recall the last time I heard my neighbours in prolonged serious discussion between themselves. Books, Internet and sat-TV fill the gap for me though along with DIY projects around the house & farm.

I agree with CoolHandJoe. I’ve lived as the only foreigner in my village part-time for 8 years followed by 9 years fulltime to-date. I speak Thai but can find no stimulating conversation here – only small talk. My attempts to engage in more stimulating conversation usually ends any conversation. It’s not just me – I can’t recall the last time I heard my neighbours in prolonged serious discussion between themselves. Books, Internet and sat-TV fill the gap for me though along with DIY projects around the house & farm.

Id feel sorry for you if it wasnt YOUR DECISION to move there!cheesy.gif

You make it sound like a prison sentence

SHEESH!.....Gods lifes hard isnt it!cheesy.gif

Edited by krisb

Go on Chitty rip into em!...Im right there for back up.clap2.gif
  • Like 1

This topic takes the cake.

does my head in when westerners post in english with thai words thrown in.

Says the man with the Thai word in his username!cheesy.gif Sheesh!

are you aware there is no english word for muay thai.

Umm, the word is fight! But thats ok, thats your attempt at covering up your error.