Social Security Ameirca

anyone able to access their social security details on line while in Thailand? I cant seem to access any info. Someone mentioned something like this awhile ago but woud like to know if anyone has been able to. I can sign on to the website but there is nowhere to put in my # or any info even though it refers to us being able to. Is this a Thailand issue?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my good buddy did all his ss biz on line.... from thailand....

and it took less than two months for the electronic transfer to be implemented successfully.

but it took him several nights of extreme anguish.... reading those instructions upon instructions and

digging up everything that seemed to have been completely forgotten.... to establish and prove

beyond any reasonable doubt who he actually is.... and that he is actually alive....

yup, he appeared at wireless road twice to prove himself alive and worthy of becoming an instant millionnaire in thailand .... lol....

his ss should have started some ten years ago but he was so engrossed and so enjoying himself in thailand that he just did not care to apply then....

when his ss check and the irs reimbursement check actually hit his bangkok bank acct.... lucky bast.... became an instant celebrity in the community.... :jap:

you need to sign up to the site mate and get a password

signed up, got a password, but what shows up on my screen has no way to input my information. Is the signup my social security number? I didnt use it as the user name since that wouldnt be good security. when i get on the site i cannot find anyplace to tell them who i am, and i clicked everything

you need to sign up to the site mate and get a password

signed up, got a password, but what shows up on my screen has no way to input my information. Is the signup my social security number? I didnt use it as the user name since that wouldnt be good security. when i get on the site i cannot find anyplace to tell them who i am, and i clicked everything

is there somehow that you can take a pix of that page, pls?

many of us are quite familiar with applying for that service in the past?

if and when we do see a pix, it might help jog our memory so as to assist you better and more speedily too? K? thx

Tried again. found a page i could enter this time

got this message

We Are Unable To Process Your Request

We are sorry but this service is not available to you. Please contact Social Security and speak with a representative.

Select "Return to Online Services" for other things you may be able to do.

Select "Log Out" if you are done.

got this message

We are sorry but this service is not available to you. Please contact Social Security and speak with a representative.

firstly, did you already enter a page or section where you are to enter personal info and work history....?

then the print out will show what and when you are entitlement will start and how you can choose or exercise your option....?

after your entitlement is calculated and you agree or disagree or whatever.... you are to click where it says continue....

are you able to go that far pls?

if not, you will not be allowed to go any further....

if you are really really lost in the wood there.... you next best option which i also did that exactly.... is to call the number....

but mind you.... long wait is in store for every caller.... i distinctively recalled one time.... i was put on hold for 23 minutes.... but then when a representative answered.... you would be accorded a royal treatment, especially when you inform them that you are calling from such and such country.... they won't let you go until your biz is completed according to your satisfaction.... i was much impressed each time....

it cost me over 100 usd that month to get everything sorted out.... fortunately for me.... they were just about to throw me out and barred me forever....

had i not been able to recall the exact spelling of my mom's very unusual name as printed on record in 1969 when i was first paid 65 cent per hour..... lol my mother's name saved me and my life.... honestly....

keep us posted, i am sure there are many hurdles you might have to cross yet.... but if you are stingy like i am.... i'll seek all the help i can.... before paying 4,000 usd for a lawyer.... :) good luck, k?

Edited by vont

I doubt it's the case, but you may be being blocked due to your IP being in Thailand. You can try using a VPN service that hosts you from an American IP:

AlwaysVPN - https://ssl.alwaysvpn.com/

They charge around $8 for 5g of transfers.

Honestly though, it sounds like some lame government employee failed to enter your information correctly. Good luck dealing with those folks.

From the U.S. embassy in Bangkok you can get the number to call the social security office in the Manilla, I used this route a few years ago and was able to take care of evrything over the phone.They were extremely helpful

I doubt it's the case, but you may be being blocked due to your IP being in Thailand. You can try using a VPN service that hosts you from an American IP:

Honestly though, it sounds like some lame government employee failed to enter your information correctly. Good luck dealing with those folks.

i bet you probably know zip about ss services nor have you any personal experiences with ss services in the states....

all their rep were most cordial and accommodating.... speaking from personal experiences....

i am referring to staffing in the u,s. ok.

ss personnel are a truly exceptional bunch that all americans can be very proud of....

yes, i am exceptionally proud of you guys and gals in the ss dept in america.... :wai::wai::wai:

since i never conduct ss biz thru manila.... i won't commend.... :)

I originally got my SS through manila, they were great.

I got though the whole process to get a temp password delivered to me [according to the website I need that first], put all my requested info in, and though it looked like it would work it turned me down after submitting everything they asked for with :

"We Are Unable To Process Your Request

Select "Log Out" if you are done. "

as someone suggested I think its probably the Thailand IP address. I remember something about that a long time ago. It could be because I am using a mac with Firefox but it all went perfect right till the end

I guess i will have to deal with the Philippines to get it going, I just sent an email and will wait for a reply and will post my next step

thanks for all the help

Edited by Lost in LOS

I originally got my SS through manila, they were great.

I got though the whole process to get a temp password delivered to me [according to the website I need that first], put all my requested info in, and though it looked like it would work it turned me down after submitting everything they asked for with :

"We Are Unable To Process Your Request

Select "Log Out" if you are done. "

as someone suggested I think its probably the Thailand IP address. I remember something about that a long time ago. It could be because I am using a mac with Firefox but it all went perfect right till the end

I guess i will have to deal with the Philippines to get it going, I just sent an email and will wait for a reply and will post my next step

thanks for all the help

Try this link. There is lots of info and links. Also visit the U.S. Embassy Citizen's Services.

http://www.ssa.gov/foreign/

that doesn't seem to help me. I did send an email to Philippines as someone suggested, on a saturday day and they answered immediately :unsure: [hope it wasnt spam]

this is what they sent. I normally dont give any info but this stuff seemed harmless enough since they didnt ask for my SS #, and it was linked to the SS website. we shall see

Please provide us your complete name and date and place of birth, so that we can check your records first.

Please also provide your mailing address and telephone number/s.

Thank you.

SSA Manila

Oh, I'm American and I'm proud alright! Every year, dumping 5-6k of my money into some ponzi scheme that takes care of you old folks.

But I'm happy to hear they were cordial with you, regardless of their 90 minute lunch breaks, and non-merit based salary increases.

i bet you probably know zip about ss services nor have you any personal experiences with ss services in the states....

all their rep were most cordial and accommodating.... speaking from personal experiences....

ss personnel are a truly exceptional bunch that all americans can be very proud of....

yes, i am exceptionally proud of you guys and gals in the ss dept in america.... :wai::wai::wai:

Try this link. There is lots of info and links. Also visit the U.S. Embassy Citizen's Services.

http://www.ssa.gov/foreign/

that doesn't seem to help me. I did send an email to Philippines as someone suggested, on a saturday day and they answered immediately :unsure: [hope it wasnt spam]

this is what they sent. I normally dont give any info but this stuff seemed harmless enough since they didnt ask for my SS #, and it was linked to the SS website. we shall see

Please provide us your complete name and date and place of birth, so that we can check your records first.

Please also provide your mailing address and telephone number/s.

Thank you.

SSA Manila

I contacted SSA.GOV only two days ago and had no problems. I don't think your IP has anything to do with it. If you are registered on the site and have a password it should work.

Oh, I'm American and I'm proud alright! Every year, dumping 5-6k of my money into some ponzi scheme that takes care of you old folks.

But I'm happy to hear they were cordial with you, regardless of their 90 minute lunch breaks, and non-merit based salary increases.

Yeah, well I paid 15% of my earnings for 40 years into that fund, so I would say they owe me now that, I can collect [and they tax what I am taking]. If I would have put that 15% in the bank with interest for that long I would be a zillionair. dont blame the old guys, we were forced to do it and they spent it instead of saving it like they were supposed to. Blame them. can we get back to the post now? :rolleyes:

Yeah, well I paid 15% of my earnings for 40 years into that fund, so I would say they owe me now that, I can collect [and they tax what I am taking]. If I would have put that 15% in the bank with interest for that long I would be a zillionair. dont blame the old guys, we were forced to do it and they spent it instead of saving it like they were supposed to. Blame them. can we get back to the post now? :rolleyes:

Ra1n85 - I’m so happy now knowing that it is you who is sending me my ss every month! Mystery solved.

But seriously, I say ra1n85 definitely knows zip about ss. I am receiving what I have put in for the last 42 years. It is my own money and it would have been a better payout had I invested THAT money in something else for all those years.

My advice to ra1n85, if he is to avoid living under a bridge when he retires, is to put another $5-6k monthly into some form of investment that will help taking care an old ra1n85 when the time comes. Nobody is going to give you any payout from his own pocket!

Now we all can get back helping the OP. cheers.

Sent an email from the site to the Philippines and this is the response I got

"Thank you for your email. It has been forwarded to me to reply.

Unfortunately this online option is not available for claimants residing outside the United States. For any inquiries on Social Security and changes or updates to your record, you will need to contact out office in Manila".

silly, wonder why :annoyed:

Edited by Lost in LOS

got this message

It's probably because the system is down! There is a BIG notice on their website stating system is down for the Holiday weekend for maintenance.

Edited by Mrjlh

Your argument is hard to follow - regardless, I'll keep to my initial posting - US government workers are far from enviable when it comes to work ethic. Add a complex web based database system for online services to the mix and you have a recipe for disaster. Contrary to what you might believe, their online services are not magic - it's staffed by plenty of government employees. I've worked with my fair share of GS types and the competent are few and far between.

I'm happy to hear your experiences with the SS folk have been easy, but opinions and accounts differ, and this is a forum. Again, I am not proud of a program that is taking money from me or my generation that will never be seen again.

Edited by ra1n85

Take a look at the following link:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/foreign/

Spells it very clear to me you need to contact the US Embassy in Bangkok.

Further info taken from the SS site:

Filing for retirement benefits outside the United States

Updated 04/29/2011 09:28 AM | ID# 16

I live outside the United States. Where do I file for retirement benefits?

To file for Social Security benefits outside the United States, contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. In the Philippines, contact the Veterans Affairs Regional Office in Manila. If you live in Canada, the British Virgin Islands or Samoa, you may obtain services from any Social Security field office.

For more information on these offices and filing for benefits while you are abroad, see Service Around the World.

If this doesn't answer your questions then YOU need to call their tool free number and ASK them!

I cannot do anything with SS online if I try to set it up in Thailand. I would have to set it up in America and then I think I can access it here. This is the answer from SS This includes looking at my account and or doing any changes to it

Dear sir

This online option is not possible outside the US. Changes will have to be done through our office.

Regards