About Ed-Visa Seen In The News.

http://pattaya-times.com/a7347-new-major-visa-requirements-education-ed-visas-holders-must-attend-classes

It sounds very dramatic, especially - “Now any school found to be selling the Education visa simply to allow the foreigner to stay in Thailand and not attending the school will be closed down and lose their license. All of the school’s students, whether attending or not, will have their visas cancelled,” the representative of the Ministry of Education stated.

But you must of course attend if you have a student visa. It is up to the Thailand Ministry of Education to check the schools - not students - that students learn something. Thai is difficult.

I have read in 3 years and doubt I would pass the test down on imigration office. I go to tunnel-mode when they talk Thai to me on imigration office. .

Oh great, this means it's the responsibility of the students to insure that their fellow students attend! Otherwise, someone could be a serious student, attending all the classes, doing the homework, etc and still lose his ed visa because of the problems of another student.

I guess it means that potential students have to do their research before enrolling, asking a school about their attendence policy and how it's enforced. Then what recourse do they have with the school if they discover the school isn't enforcing their attendence policy after they've paid their money?

I think the example of Thai language competency used in the story is a little lame. I've been studying Thai seriously for nearly three years, yet I'd probably be at a loss for words if, out of the blue, an immigration officer starting talking about the fish in the tank. He wasn't even asking a question, was he -- just making a statement. What was the poor student suppose to do, say something "oh, I don't see one fish eating the other." How about something that would more normally flow out of a meeting like this as in "sabaai di mai, krap?" or "kin khao laew ruu yang, krap?" and see how the student responds to those common greetings.

Oh great, this means it's the responsibility of the students to insure that their fellow students attend! Otherwise, someone could be a serious student, attending all the classes, doing the homework, etc and still lose his ed visa because of the problems of another student.

I guess it means that potential students have to do their research before enrolling, asking a school about their attendence policy and how it's enforced. Then what recourse do they have with the school if they discover the school isn't enforcing their attendence policy after they've paid their money?

I think the example of Thai language competency used in the story is a little lame. I've been studying Thai seriously for nearly three years, yet I'd probably be at a loss for words if, out of the blue, an immigration officer starting talking about the fish in the tank. He wasn't even asking a question, was he -- just making a statement. What was the poor student suppose to do, say something "oh, I don't see one fish eating the other." How about something that would more normally flow out of a meeting like this as in "sabaai di mai, krap?" or "kin khao laew ruu yang, krap?" and see how the student responds to those common greetings.

Anyone can pick up the basics like that in a week and with a Lonely Planet Guide.

Survival Thai -- basics like getting around etc as a test for the first 90 day extension? Sure ... after that one would hope that a student could speak about general things in Thailand with some success. 3 years in ..... I would hope that people calling themselves a student of Thai could do far better.

I think I will start taking Thai classes again (at the Y) sometime soon just to brush up on simple things, but the whole time I was at Immigration today the officer never had to switch to English when talking to me. (I had to switch to English a few times to reply :) --- telling me that my speaking skills are not improving much even after years of being here. I can discuss things I am interested in, and standard conversational stuff but I get lost in official Thai government office names etc !)

Edit--- I don't need the visa so avoiding that trap is easy enough for me!

Edited by jdinasia

Yeah really ! If it should turn out to be the resposability of the students, that other students attend class, then the days of the Ed-Visa are numbered.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE REMEDY: The schools must police their students. For example: If a student does not attend class 3 times in a row without legitimate excuse, the SCHOOL must report him/her to immigration. (They may then cancel this individuals Ed-Visa. = Fine with me !)

It can't be, that serious students would have to suffer the SAME CONSEQUENCES !!!!!!

But don't we know it: A minority of "misfit"-Farangs, that have been cheating their way through life in the west, are now trying to do the same in Thailand. And by doing this, they manage to mess it up for the vast majority of Farangs that are above the "misfit" category. So no wonder, that Visa-Legislation is getting less liberal toward Farangs almost on a yearly basis.

Cheers.

Yeah really ! If it should turn out to be the resposability of the students, that other students attend class, then the days of the Ed-Visa are numbered.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE REMEDY: The schools must police their students. For example: If a student does not attend class 3 times in a row without legitimate excuse, the SCHOOL must report him/her to immigration. (They may then cancel this individuals Ed-Visa. = Fine with me !)

It can't be, that serious students would have to suffer the SAME CONSEQUENCES !!!!!!

But don't we know it: A minority of "misfit"-Farangs, that have been cheating their way through life in the west, are now trying to do the same in Thailand. And by doing this, they manage to mess it up for the vast majority of Farangs that are above the "misfit" category. So no wonder, that Visa-Legislation is getting less liberal toward Farangs almost on a yearly basis.

Cheers.

well then Im a misfit?I have a income from overseas,dont work,but have to allt this bullshit visas and crap,for what?But maby u have a answer?

And your country allows anyone to enter and stay without "visas and crap"? Here in the real world there are governments and regulations that most of us have to face.

As for long term stay in Thailand believe the 10 million baht investment option is still on the table.

And your country allows anyone to enter and stay without "visas and crap"? Here in the real world there are governments and regulations that most of us have to face.

As for long term stay in Thailand believe the 10 million baht investment option is still on the table.

Nope. I dont have any problem to do the visa, but all the time its changes, different rules in different consulates,and so on.It getting harder and harder if u are not 50+.And when Im 5o, the rules changed again.I be happey to do what they want but keep same every were

and stop all this hassle.Lopburi u are one of the best on visas, so u tell me what to do?im not 50, i dont work, i dont want to go to school?,school is the only choice?I done my turist visas in Lao, so no more,had 3 already, so Im fuc_ked i guess?if i hade 10milion i would not invest here anyway hehe

Edited by stacker10

This crackdown was bound to happen, the schools need to report all absenteeism to the Immigration Dept, then the students will start attending.

Waiting to see if it happens in BKK, and which schools are gonna be named and shamed.

Nope. I dont have any problem to do the visa, but all the time its changes, different rules in different consulates,and so on.It getting harder and harder if u are not 50+.And when Im 5o, the rules changed again.I be happey to do what they want but keep same every were

and stop all this hassle.Lopburi u are one of the best on visas, so u tell me what to do?im not 50, i dont work, i dont want to go to school?,school is the only choice?I done my turist visas in Lao, so no more,had 3 already, so Im fuc_ked i guess?if i hade 10milion i would not invest here anyway hehe

You can still go to other countries around Thailand for a tourist visa, it is 3 in the same place then you are out, so just move onto the next Consulate.

You can still go to other countries around Thailand for a tourist visa, it is 3 in the same place then you are out, so just move onto the next Consulate.

well that can be one way, but u never know when u come to a consulate and they see 6-7 turisvisa stamps, they can easy just say no, im sure they will, its a god advice thanks, but its not ok for they long time.I need to find some way to stay for long time,only one thing to do, getting married hehe,no thanks done that,been there

You could invest - you do not want to do that.

You could marry - you do not want to do that.

You could work - you do not want to do that.

You could study (just about anything) - you do not want to do that.

You can still obtain entry - but you want a sure thing (forever)?

Would you like to volunteer your time to an NGO?

Would you like to set up a company and have a work permit with no more work than signing checks?

As bad/restrictive as it is there are viable options that most people find usable. But perhaps they are viewing a half full glass.