Outgoing Thai PM Abhisit Resigns As Party Leader

webfact

I very much agree with the opinions concerning Abhisit's untapped potential as a statesman for Thailand.

I believe he would be excellent as Thailand's ambassador to the United Nations.

Edited by tigermonkey

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If nothing else, he looked and sounded good when interviewed by international press. That chap with his own cooking show couldn't even grunt in English

What country do you think this is?Just to inform you, this country is called Thailand .Its National language is Thai. That means there is no demand that to hold political office in this country or any other country where English is not the national language ,, you must be fluent in English.

Bringing your country forward in the world and working in the International community demands the ability to communicate in English which is the worldwide denominator of communication. Speaking only in your native tongue promotes isolationism and says a great deal about the depth of knowledge, education, and interest in moving the country to become a contributing member of the global community and global economy.

"But it is a job that requires some language skills" Hahaha, You really think the PM in your home country speaks more than one language fluent , please don't think English is awesome....

The previous Aus PM spoke fluent Mandarin.

really???? give a link i would like to listen to my mother languages spoken by an ausy;)

Just what you would hope for & expect, an honest man keeps his pre-election word, and gives his party the opportunity to consider other options. :jap:

at least the only good thing Abisit did for the benefit of Thailand... Goodbye... we won't miss u...

"But it is a job that requires some language skills" Hahaha, You really think the PM in your home country speaks more than one language fluent , please don't think English is awesome....

really???? give a link i would like to listen to my mother languages spoken by an ausy;)

skip through to 35 seconds

when he was ambassador to China (or something like that).

Edited by whybother

If nothing else, he looked and sounded good when interviewed by international press. That chap with his own cooking show couldn't even grunt in English

What country do you think this is?Just to inform you, this country is called Thailand .Its National language is Thai. That means there is no demand that to hold political office in this country or any other country where English is not the national language ,, you must be fluent in English.

Bringing your country forward in the world and working in the International community demands the ability to communicate in English which is the worldwide denominator of communication. Speaking only in your native tongue promotes isolationism and says a great deal about the depth of knowledge, education, and interest in moving the country to become a contributing member of the global community and global economy.

I think it is all very well and nice that a PM speaks English, but hardly a complete necessity for the job. Yingluck as far as I can see speaks and understands it well enough. I don't expect her to be able to recite Shakespeare. As long as a PM can hold a meeting, that is more than adequate.

I am sure she can say "thirty percent" quite well anyway. It isn't that hard.

Anyway, the way that the world is going, it will probably be far more important that she brushes up her Hokkien.

skip through to 35 seconds

when he was ambassador to China (or something like that).

wowwww he speaks really nice !!! well done Australia:)

I very much agree with the opinions concerning Abhisit's untapped potential as a statesman for Thailand.

You are kidding. The man has no spine. 100s dead on his watch. And he doesn't have the spine to say the truth. He was run by Suthep and the army.

No I am not Thai and I do not pretend to know what is best for Thailand more than a Thai does. I do know many Thais here in Isaan, having resided here for the past ten years. My wifes family members were often bemused when I defended Abhisit in political discussions, mainly because to me,

he appeared on the outside to be honest, dedicated, well educated, a good communicator and tried to lead from the front. I say "on the outside". I remember being impressed when he appeared on national television and virtually gave a presentation on the temple conflict between Thailand and Cambodia. Yes he would have had people helping him but I was impressed by his presentation and knowledge of the issue. I have doubts as to whether Yingluck will put herself in such a position?? She may well prove me wrong.

There have been some mention of relative IQs in this discussion, which makes me wonder what is the average IQ of an educated Thai working in Bangkok where the Democrats were strongly backed, compared to that of those in the North/North Eastern

provinces where Pheu Thai totally dominates? Thais will say that they voted YIngluck in because she is pretty, she has Thailands best interest at heart (Abhisit didn't?), she made promises aligned to Red shirt policy ("I will make the poor rich") and she is an accomplished business woman. I would suggest that its not difficult to own half of Bangkok and be successful in real estate when you are bankrolled by big bro Taksin.... The simple folk of Thailand have been conned by the Yingluck Travelling Show and I am sure that even when her political inexperience and incompetence become plain for most to see, those simple folk will still be happy with their vote because she is pretty, smiling and remains her big brothers' puppet on a string...... Good luck Thailand, I think you will need it.

I think it is all very well and nice that a PM speaks English, but hardly a complete necessity for the job. Yingluck as far as I can see speaks and understands it well enough. I don't expect her to be able to recite Shakespeare. As long as a PM can hold a meeting, that is more than adequate.

I am sure she can say "thirty percent" quite well anyway. It isn't that hard.

Anyway, the way that the world is going, it will probably be far more important that she brushes up her Hokkien.

"I am sure she can say "thirty percent" quite well anyway. It isn't that hard." Just like Gloria, only better!

You are kidding. The man has no spine. 100s dead on his watch. And he doesn't have the spine to say the truth. He was run by Suthep and the army.

The red shirts demand was for early elections, he said yes. SMS arrives, all off. BEFORE the major bloodshed. What would you have done in his , oh political genius and critic?

The red shirts demand was for early elections, he said yes. SMS arrives, all off. BEFORE the major bloodshed. What would you have done in his , oh political genius and critic?

thats the facts,he would have won anyway but,let them and they did and they do

LOL ya he talked out of one side of his mouth and said something (in reality) different out of the other side.

And when you open your mouth to speak, big frogs jump out. Better to keep it closed.

Anytime you'd like to try , your welcome to try :cheesy:

Good riddance, and don't let the door slap you on the a_ss on the way out :ph34r:

I'll second that sentiment! I only wonder how much money he's walking out the door with. I'm sure he's not leaving empty handed.

Are there any corruption charges facing Abhisit? (Plenty still facing Thaksin ... but THIS thread is about Abhisit!)

Good riddance, and don't let the door slap you on the a_ss on the way out :ph34r:

I'll second that sentiment! I only wonder how much money he's walking out the door with. I'm sure he's not leaving empty handed.

Are there any corruption charges facing Abhisit? (Plenty still facing Thaksin ... but THIS thread is about Abhisit!)

I think the word is, they are digging into it as we speak,( they Reds, UDD, Phui Thai) which ever you prefer are going to dig into it till they can bring something up, shake them like a dog shakes a rag doll, now that the old regime is out.

I think the word is, they are digging into it as we speak,( they Reds, UDD, Phui Thai) which ever you prefer are going to dig into it till they can bring something up, shake them like a dog shakes a rag doll, now that the old regime is out.

What would they find on Abhisit? Even in the censure debates they didn't suggest corruption on the part of Abhisit. It is good, at least, that you seem not to make any distinction between the reds, the UDD, and PTP.

What would they find on Abhisit? Even in the censure debates they didn't suggest corruption on the part of Abhisit. It is good, at least, that you seem not to make any distinction between the reds, the UDD, and PTP.

what more can one add

Chok Dee to Abhisit! He was over his head and this was the best thing he could do. :)

More like Thailand was WAY UNDER his head. If Thailand ever matures and we're talking at least numerous decades, hope for future generations they can elect leaders like Abhisit. He was rejected by the voters, but he should be proud of his achievements. I do hope his it's us or chaos line turns out to be wrong, but obviously it could go either way. Thanks very much, THAKSIN for that.

No, there aren't. Like most countries, they get the leader they deserve. So, Abhisit, the intelligent leaves, to be replaced by Yingluck the woman with nice smile and the famous last name. Pathetic!

Pretty speaker especially in English - and I liked him because I don't speak enough Thai. But I'm not Thai - I'm a guest in this lovely country and the PEOPLE have spoken. So I must support an earlier member - Good Riddance.

If, like someone argued above - he was a real statesman and an honourable man - he should have called an election earlier and the Reds could have won it - (like they have done now) Instead of being stubbon and intrangient - which in the end resulted bloodshed and extra judical killings which have made this great country look like a banana republic. Without that we would already be well on the way to full reconcilliation and development. The troubles could have been avoided - people were angry because their vote for the Government of their choice was subverted - by court rulings (banning a guy who appered on a cooking program - really) and allies crossing the floor to join a group of people who occupied an International airport and got away scot free. I can tell you that little incident moved more airlines to hubs in Malayasia and Singapore than the occupation of a down town junction.

So bye bye Abhesit - I don't think there are going to be too many folk crying about your departure - remember you only really deserve what you WIN not what you grab or steal.

Just thought about that last comment - There are some folk crying for you but unfortunately they all seem to be expats on a very right wing site - who don't count politically because they don't have a vote - they like me should just be glad to be living here and be prepared to accept that the majority of the electorate have spoken and that they are sensible and reasonable citizens - and that they voted Red because they want someone they appreciate to come home.

Kevin b you really should be sure of the facts before spouting such mindless CRAP

I give Abhisit credit for letting the people decide which way they wanted to go, and furthermore stepping down so gracefully. He said what he was going to do and kept his word. A man of his word is quite rare in these parts. Samak the cooking show guy spoke English quite well, he just lied through his teeth when he did.

He should have stepped down last year, nothing graceful about people dying.

Surely that would have been giving in to mob rule. Also I think he did offer to hold early elections but it was turned down.

Whatever you think of him it's clear Abhisit was a divisive figure in the Thai political landscape. Let us hope a new Yellow leader emerges who is both more willing and able to identify/engage with the Reds allowing the Dems to undermine Thaksin's powerbase with the Poor/North. Only then I think will the Dems be able to lead the Nation democratically and in a truly representative manner.