Gout

chessplayer

I took that for a while, then switched to Celebrex and now I take Colcitex. With Colcitex I take maybe one tablet and its gone.

With those other two, it wrecked my liver or stomach, much happier with Colcitex.

You should go to Bangkok Hospital and have them advise you on it. I know Celbrex is very hard on the liver, and Indocin on the

digestive track.

That is why not drinking Beer has no effect on Gout. A Breathalyzer measures Acetic Acid Vapours on the Breath not Alcohol. That's why many say, I've stopped the Beer and the Gout seems worse.Lack of Acetic Acid provided via Beer.If you go to a Chinese Herbalist, there is a Green Leaf that works wonders.They know what you want, and no Chemicals to upset your intestines.

As someone who suffered gout; and a family history of 100% male gout sufferers, have not had another attack since starting Allopurinol some 20 years ago. All Uric Acid tests have been in normal range since.

I started taking 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda with 4 oz. of water in and AM, right after waking up, and the same amount right before bed 2 years ago.

It worked for me. It changed my life.

I believe it's the alkalizing effects that are working.

Baking works for some, but not everyone.

Baking soda is one thing, soda water is another altogether.

My Thread was about whether they are equal. MY IPad has typing problems so I have to paste it in this post. actually questioning are they equal title.

Edited by lopburi3
Fix quote

When I'm in Thailand I drink a lot more soda water (and Sangsom :licklips:) than beer and I'm not bothered by gout at all.

When I get back to Oz and on the suds (beer) it's not long before the old gout bus comes along and runs over my foot again.

Obviously the soda water flushes any uric acid from my system.

I know I should drink more water while I'm here but as my grandfather once told me;

You can't drink water son, fish fยck in that stuff.:sick:

Over the years I have tried all the herbs and home remedies. The only effective preventative I have found is alopurinol. There have been days when I have neglected to take the alopurinol. Usually I get away with that but if I feel a twinge of gout, I take the poisonous colchicine until it passes.

I can see no side affects with the alopurinol. I might add that I eat and drink whatever I want.

The colchicine upsets my stomach and gives me diarrhea, but even that is better than the crippling gout.

Over the years I have tried all the herbs and home remedies. The only effective preventative I have found is alopurinol. There have been days when I have neglected to take the alopurinol. Usually I get away with that but if I feel a twinge of gout, I take the poisonous colchicine until it passes.

I can see no side affects with the alopurinol. I might add that I eat and drink whatever I want.

The colchicine upsets my stomach and gives me diarrhea, but even that is better than the crippling gout.

why is colchicine so poisonous??

I understand you have some side effects but is that it or is there more with limited usage..

I mix my SaengSom (Or any rum/whiskey) with soda (pepsi) and lemon, fresh or from the bottle, no problems since..

the lemon does the trick... If i feel an itch I drink 3-4 glasses of water with a flat spoon of baking soda...

Is allopurinol an NSAID?

Allopurinol decrease levels of uric acid to prevent gout attacks. It is not the answer when you are having a gout attack. But as a preventative it is excellent in my experience (no gout for last 20 years of using it).

Allopurinol decrease levels of uric acid to prevent gout attacks. It is not the answer when you are having a gout attack. But as a preventative it is excellent in my experience (no gout for last 20 years of using it).

I understand you have to take allopurinol an a daily base??

I have been taking the same pill for 20 years now and feel taking it and avoiding attacks is well worth the medical supervision and occasional uric acid testing. For me it has worked well and have 100% male family history and started to have problems in my 40's. Obviously I don't eat liver every night but in general don't avoid anything completely.

My Thread was about whether they are equal. MY IPad has typing problems so I have to paste it in this post. actually questioning are they equal title.

]

So far about two implies Soda water equals Baking Soda plus water, but one by a moderator clearly mentions they are not equal. I have searched the net but have no clear answer.

Edited by lopburi3
Fix quote

]

So far about two implies Soda water equals Baking Soda plus water, but one by a moderator clearly mentions they are not equal. I have searched the net but have no clear answer.

I suffered gout almost permantly, drinking about 4 glasses of coke a day with my samsong, switched to diet coke, sometimes Zero, havnt had gout since. (about 4 months)

I've been told cider vinegar is the best cure. As i'm currently suffering from the most severe gout i've ever had i'd be very appreciative for any info.

Drink organic virgin coconut oil, 4 teaspoons a day Its anti-viral and anti bacterial and a mate from OZ who has the same thing as you at the mo is saying its effective.

Apple cider vinegar I believe is better than white vinegar aswell

]

Baking soda is an alkaline substance (Sodium bicarbonate) and Soda Water is water with carbon dioxide gas; this is acidic.

So, nearly three weeks down the line my gout is now improving. Thanks for the advice so far.

With regards to taking care of myself in the future and hopefully being "gout free" should i be taking a couple of table spoons of apple cider vinegar daily and/or allopurinol tablets daily as an ongoing thing?

• 3 months later...

I'm still taking my baking soda twice per day. It's still working.

Worth a try to people with gout issues.

An alternative to the baking soda (which has sodium) is squeezing a lemon or lime into a glass/bottle of water for drinking. It also alkalizes your system.

That is why not drinking Beer has no effect on Gout. A Breathalyzer measures Acetic Acid Vapours on the Breath not Alcohol. That's why many say, I've stopped the Beer and the Gout seems worse.Lack of Acetic Acid provided via Beer.If you go to a Chinese Herbalist, there is a Green Leaf that works wonders.They know what you want, and no Chemicals to upset your intestines.

Beer is low on the list. Following the low purine diet has worked for me and I have had gout all my life.

http://www.acumedico.com/purine.htm

• 1 month later...

Just to add my experience to this discussion, I came down with gout two years ago, spent a week in hospital on IV and had weeks of severe pain, (when standing) it took probably six months for foot and leg swelling to go down.

Gout seems to be fairly common with Thai men, and the thing I was told most is "Mae Gai".... no chicken! ...but it's a lot more than chicken .... lots of foods have high purine levels, that can contribute... even Mangoes! ...

That food list goes on and on!... I was given the normal drugs to take...

There is a good web site dealing with Gout issues ....

http://www.gout-pal....gout-pal-forum/

One discussion there deals with Black Bean Juice.... which is, what I have used on and off since reading about it...

Black Beans are easy get here. Small shops to Tesco etc.... and a 500 gram (cost is about 23 to 30 baht per pack) One pack will make two batches of Juice.

It's easy to make: Rinse beans and boil for 1/2 hour in 2 litres of water... (you may need to top up the water!) Then simmer for one hour. (Use a timer so you don't forget and they boil dry! )

Strain let cool and drink a glass or so... (keep remainder in fridge and drink as needed...)

I generally chop up about a table spoon of ginger, when boiling ...... which gives a nicer flavor... although the taste of the juice is not too bad... DO NOT eat the beans, as they are high in Purines!

I have tried the Apple cider vinegar and Soda, (yuk!!!!) neither do what the Black bean juice does.... at least for me... but if you read through the above forum, it does not work for everyone....

Since eating too much turkey and other bad foods, over the holiday season, I've needed to make a few batches to bring down foot throbblng... a glass of juice settles things down in minutes...

Could be worth a try.... but also see a doctor... They know about gout issues here, since so many local people have it...

I used and use the local Thai hospital... for blood tests etc... but not needed pills for a year and a half now!

Hope that helps a few people... it's no fun having gout! crying.gif

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Having had attacks of gout for over fifty years, I have a few comments to make.

Allopurinol is not a cure - it suppresses the kidney function that produces the uric acid in the first place. Thus it has to be (or should be) taken daily. This means your kidneys are not performing the functions they were designed for, and in hard-water areas are likely to produce kidney stones.

Drinking an alkali solution may alleviate the symptoms during an attack, but drinking acidic mixtures - vinegar, lemon juice, etc., - will not produce any relief.

I have given up on allopurinol, I want my organs to work as well as possible, and I just take lots of water and when I have an attack some strong pain-killers as well. There is no cure that I know of, just fortitiude to get through the attacks.

I'm also a sufferer of gout. Allopurinol every day seems to keep the attacks at bay. Also you need to change your diet and stop drinking so much alcohol.

As for painkillers, colcichine and dicloflenac (anti-inflammatories) stop the pain within a few hours.

Try and eat some cherries, they're meant to be good for gout and I found it helped a little. Also plenty of water.

Having had attacks of gout for over fifty years, I have a few comments to make.

Allopurinol is not a cure - it suppresses the kidney function that produces the uric acid in the first place. Thus it has to be (or should be) taken daily. This means your kidneys are not performing the functions they were designed for, and in hard-water areas are likely to produce kidney stones.

Drinking an alkali solution may alleviate the symptoms during an attack, but drinking acidic mixtures - vinegar, lemon juice, etc., - will not produce any relief.

I have given up on allopurinol, I want my organs to work as well as possible, and I just take lots of water and when I have an attack some strong pain-killers as well. There is no cure that I know of, just fortitiude to get through the attacks.

The main thing to do is change your diet so that your uric acid levels go down. The main cause of gout is diet related to be fair. Also you say that taking allopurinol is bad for you? The main painkiller which helps alleviate pain is anti-inflammatories... Have you done your research to know what anti-inflammtories do to your kidneys? They're worse.