Some Brits Don'T Deserve To Be In Business Here...

johnboy3739w

The Place - Well known Fish and Chip restaurant on 2nd Road, Central Pattaya....

The time / date - Sat 9th July - 2.30pm

Those present - Me and my sweetly pretty missus.....

Arrived to see a completely empty restaurant, apart from a Ferang playing on a laptop opposite the bar....

Sat down and asked waitress if they had any english newspapers and she pointed to a table in front of the Ferang on the computer - i had to walk round him cos he was sitting with his feet sticking out - i picked up the papers, smiled at him - only for him to ignore me and carry on faffing about on the computer - he didn't even have the courtesy to move his feet as i went back to my table....

Anyway food comes - not bad, although chips a tad under cooked - but got me thinking - "is the bloke on the computer the owner or just an ignorant customer" ?

so, we are mid way through our meal, and the bloke closes the lap top and proceeds to walk out - as he passed our table i smiled at him - again to be ignored.......

After he left, i called the waitress over and asked if the man was "big boss" - and the answer was "yes" and she went on to say she was sorry but he is rude to everyone and many customers don't go back.....

Well - Like my title said - "some Brits don't deserve to be in business" - and this miserable so and so is definately one of them.....

Wild horses wouldn't drag me back there....

By complete contrast, a few weeks ago we went to a well known fish and chip restaurant , on the Village Estate, 3rd Road (opp fire station)

As we sat down the owner (a Britt from Northern England) came out to greet us and asked where we had head about the place ? - ordered and had a few minutes natter with and found him to be very personable and very proud about the quality of his product....

Food came - absolutely smashing deffo 10/10 - and half way through our meal, owner came back to see if everything was ok with our food and did we need anything else....

By complete contrast, he deserves to be in business.....

By any chance, would you be tte owner of that "chippy" place in that housing estate on 3rd Road opposite the fire station :lol:

As I have posted before, I don't judge a restaurant by the personality of the proprietor...I judge it by the food and friendliness/efficiency of the service staff. If the food is to my liking and the person taking my order is pleasant I may go back...I don't give a rat's arse if the "big boss" says "hi" to me or not. I have plenty of friends in Pattaya and don't need to make friends with all the restaurant and bar keeps in town :rolleyes:

Edited by FarangBuddha

johnboy.... i take it your American OR french....... Your topic title is just stupid.

Some "PEOPLE" would be more appropriate. Jeez how many Thai restaurants have you been into that the serving staff or management do not even smile.. Do they deserve not to do business here.

PS: I'm glad you have found somewhere you can get decent fish and chips and i hope the owner continues to come out and greet you and natters with you EVERY time you go there, I just hope your NOT having a bad day or are concentrating on some work when he does so B)

Edited by thaicbr

Interesting. I think I know the 2nd road owner you talked about and I found him very pleasant, friendly, and happy to provide information about his approach in his menu. The Village place, a number of visits and never greeted by an owner. So I would say decide for yourself. The food is different, so you are likely to prefer the style of one over the other, and I think for most, that's the deciding factor.

Miserable SOB restaurant owners come in all nationalities: Brit, US, German, Thai, Chinese, you name it. Makes me wonder why some of them are in that business.

This doesnt put me off if the price and quality of the food is correct: I dont go to restaurants to make friends, I go to eat and a miserable owner wont spoil my appetite at all. In fact he may just give me something to laugh about whilst waiting for my meal.

But I admit that given the choice of two identical places serving identical food at the same prices, I will always choose the one where the owner/staff say "hello" rather than the one where the owner/staff treat me like something they just trod in.

mess 3....

before retiring here, i owned a customer service business in the uk for 30 years and always impressed on my staff to be friendly to customers, as they always had a choice and could buy our product elsewhere......

and forget the "bad day" - his staff admitted he was always like that........

Anyway - up to him - i ain't going back ...........

I can see both sides of the coin here. I agree that if you are a customer in his shop then very least he can do is say hello to you, after all manners cost nothing, right? On the other hand it wouldn't really bother me if he didn't say hello, who cares, you have gone there to eat right, not chat to strangers. Maybe he was having a bad day, or maybe he thought you looked like one of these bored/nosey expat types who just want to talk to everybody and bore them to death and he wouldn't be able to get away....imagine it if he spoke to all his customers all day he wouldn't have time for anything else

Btw, why not just say the names of the establishments? Most here will know anyway, it makes you come across a tad silly.....now grow some balls man and stop whinging like a little girl.

I can see both sides of the coin here. I agree that if you are a customer in his shop then very least he can do is say hello to you, after all manners cost nothing, right? On the other hand it wouldn't really bother me if he didn't say hello, who cares, you have gone there to eat right, not chat to strangers. Maybe he was having a bad day, or maybe he thought you looked like one of these bored/nosey expat types who just want to talk to everybody and bore them to death and he wouldn't be able to get away....imagine it if he spoke to all his customers all day he wouldn't have time for anything else

Btw, why not just say the names of the establishments? Most here will know anyway, it makes you come across a tad silly.....now grow some balls man and stop whinging like a little girl.

Topics have a habit of dissapearing when names are named and shames are shamed.

Edited by PattayaParent

How right you are P P :whistling:

If it was Goose's Fish and Chips he could be as unfriendly and rude to me as he likes. Those fish and chips are darn GOOD! :thumbsup:

I agree mate I don't expect or want the boss of a restaurant to juggle balls and entertain me I go to the circus for that. As long as the grub is good the place is very clean which it is there I go back. By the way the staff in there are always friendly.

edit: spelling

Edited by rayong09

If it was Goose's Fish and Chips he could be as unfriendly and rude to me as he likes. Those fish and chips are darn GOOD! :thumbsup:

I agree mate I don't expect or want the boss of a restaurant to juggle balls and entertain me I go to the circus for that. As long as the grub is good the place is very clean which it is there I go back. By the way the staff in there are always friendly.

edit: spelling

Are the chips fried in goose fat?

Could be although he is the boss he dosent have a work permit...talking to customers without one can get a very hefty fine

Just for talking...?

Yes...it's happened before... usually by reporting by jealous competitors. I mean, there are work catagories for restaurants and bars like "host", "GRO :whistling:" "greater", "maitre d'", even "bartender", whose job is to basically greet and chat with customers and if the owner didn't posess a WP he could be hauled-in and made to donate to the police New Year's party fund for just greeting and/or talking to customers.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Interesting. I think I know the 2nd road owner you talked about and I found him very pleasant, friendly, and happy to provide information about his approach in his menu. The Village place, a number of visits and never greeted by an owner. So I would say decide for yourself. The food is different, so you are likely to prefer the style of one over the other, and I think for most, that's the deciding factor.

This has been exactly my experience.

How right you are P P :whistling:

Would it be beyond the bounds of decency for H.H to offer an apology?

It's not just a "Brit" thing, I could say the same thing about nearly every nationality here . . . flat out rude and ignorant most of them.

Excellent point by you, krap. Of male farangs in Pattaya (visitors & residents), my guess is (visiting farangs sque the heck out of this):

Jai Dee Gentlemen: 5%

Sabai Sabai Goodguys: 15%

Complete A-Holes: 25%

Everybody Else: 50%

Indescribable: 5%

B)