Passport From Hk.. How Long?

I will be DHL'ing my British passport application to Hong Kong tomorrow. The 11th.. my visa runs out on the 7th of next month.

Enough time? Any reports will be appreciated!!

Also, is it ok to leave with my old (damaged) passport then get a new visa in the new one? The stamp is illegible....

Just did exactly this - 2 weeks for mine there and back and 962 baht to the local DHL office for the two way service.

I am travelling to the UK in a couple of weeks and hope to "stamp out" at Swampy with my old passport (even though it has been cancelled) as this is the one with my last 90 day stamp in it and the white immigration slip. Then, if that works out OK I'll get a new non-imm visa on the first page of my new (48 page) passport.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Just did exactly this - 2 weeks for mine there and back and 962 baht to the local DHL office for the two way service.

I am travelling to the UK in a couple of weeks and hope to "stamp out" at Swampy with my old passport (even though it has been cancelled) as this is the one with my last 90 day stamp in it and the white immigration slip. Then, if that works out OK I'll get a new non-imm visa on the first page of my new (48 page) passport.

Cheers,

Pikey.

I think they will only stamp you out in your live passport, your old one will of been cancelled when you new one was processed jap.gif

From the UK In Hong Kong site;

"Please note that the passport being renewed will be electronically cancelled and is therefore not valid for use as a travel document from the moment you submit your application.

On receipt of your new passport, you must physically cancel your old passport by cutting the corners of the photo page and the front and back covers."

From the UK In Hong Kong site;

"Please note that the passport being renewed will be electronically cancelled and is therefore not valid for use as a travel document from the moment you submit your application.

On receipt of your new passport, you must physically cancel your old passport by cutting the corners of the photo page and the front and back covers."

I never cut the corners off mine & can still travel on new one - I think if I tried to use old one then it might not work jap.gif

heres the letter they sent me

Where to send

British Consulate-General

RPPC - 5th Floor

1 Supreme Court Road

Hong Kong

(Please note that Hong Kong addresses do not have post-codes).

How to send

We recommend that you send us your application by secure means such as by registered post or by courier. The British Embassy in Bangkok has

negotiated a preferential rate with DHL for sending passport applications and associated documentation from Thailand to Hong Kong. This

preferential rate is currently available at all DHL office in Thailand. For security reasons, please make sure that you do not highlight on the outside of

the envelope that it contains a passport application.

How much

See our list of relevant passport fees [PDF, 66kb], including postage.

How to pay

You will need to pay the exact fee (passport fee(s) plus return delivery charge) either by credit card using the credit card form, or by International

Banker's Draft, payable in Hong Kong Dollars (HK$) to "British Consulate-General Hong Kong". We only accept debit cards which have either the

Mastercard or Visa symbol, as usually these can be processed as payment by credit card. No other debit cards are accepted. Please note that if

paying by credit card, the payment will be taken in Hong Kong dollars at the prevailing rate when your application is received. Your credit card

company may charge an additional fee for this. We do not accept payment by personal cheque.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH

Timing

If you are renewing an existing British passport, you should allow 4 weeks for us to return your new passport to you. If you are applying for a British

passport for the first time (this includes children who have not had a British passport before, customers who are changing their name other than by

marriage, or replacing an old blue passport), you should allow at least 6 weeks for processing. If replacing a lost or stolen passport you should also

allow at least 6 weeks. Please do not call to check on the progress of your application before this time.

Delivery back to you

We will return your new passport to you by DHL courier service, unless otherwise advised.

Specific requirements from Thailand

ORIGINAL PASSPORT: Thailand is an exception to the main guidance given on our primary website. It is not advised to be without your original

passport in Thailand and we recognise this. You may therefore submit a clear photocopy of your passport (just the page with your personal details and

photograph). Please note that the passport being renewed will be electronically cancelled and is therefore not valid for use as a travel document from

the moment you submit your application. On receipt of your new passport, you must physically cancel your old passport by cutting the corners of the

photo page and the front and back covers. Failure to do so may leave your replaced passport open to abuse. Alternatively, you should visit the British

Embassy in Bangkok to have your replaced passport physically cancelled.

heres the letter they sent me

Where to send

British Consulate-General

RPPC - 5th Floor

1 Supreme Court Road

Hong Kong

(Please note that Hong Kong addresses do not have post-codes).

How to send

We recommend that you send us your application by secure means such as by registered post or by courier. The British Embassy in Bangkok has

negotiated a preferential rate with DHL for sending passport applications and associated documentation from Thailand to Hong Kong. This

preferential rate is currently available at all DHL office in Thailand. For security reasons, please make sure that you do not highlight on the outside of

the envelope that it contains a passport application.

How much

See our list of relevant passport fees [PDF, 66kb], including postage.

How to pay

You will need to pay the exact fee (passport fee(s) plus return delivery charge) either by credit card using the credit card form, or by International

Banker's Draft, payable in Hong Kong Dollars (HK$) to "British Consulate-General Hong Kong". We only accept debit cards which have either the

Mastercard or Visa symbol, as usually these can be processed as payment by credit card. No other debit cards are accepted. Please note that if

paying by credit card, the payment will be taken in Hong Kong dollars at the prevailing rate when your application is received. Your credit card

company may charge an additional fee for this. We do not accept payment by personal cheque.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH

Timing

If you are renewing an existing British passport, you should allow 4 weeks for us to return your new passport to you. If you are applying for a British

passport for the first time (this includes children who have not had a British passport before, customers who are changing their name other than by

marriage, or replacing an old blue passport), you should allow at least 6 weeks for processing. If replacing a lost or stolen passport you should also

allow at least 6 weeks. Please do not call to check on the progress of your application before this time.

Delivery back to you

We will return your new passport to you by DHL courier service, unless otherwise advised.

Specific requirements from Thailand

ORIGINAL PASSPORT: Thailand is an exception to the main guidance given on our primary website. It is not advised to be without your original

passport in Thailand and we recognise this. You may therefore submit a clear photocopy of your passport (just the page with your personal details and

photograph). Please note that the passport being renewed will be electronically cancelled and is therefore not valid for use as a travel document from

the moment you submit your application. On receipt of your new passport, you must physically cancel your old passport by cutting the corners of the

photo page and the front and back covers. Failure to do so may leave your replaced passport open to abuse. Alternatively, you should visit the British

Embassy in Bangkok to have your replaced passport physically cancelled.

Letter..? That's just from the website.

Cheers,

Pikey.

I think they will only stamp you out in your live passport, your old one will of been cancelled when you new one was processed jap.gif

Yes, I know that the passport got cancelled but I didn't cut the corner and as I'll have my new one with me, I'll try to stamp out on the old one to keep the new one "clean" until I get my non-imm in the UK. If they say no then they can stamp the new one no problem.

Cheers,

Pikey.

If you get a new passport, please take care that the Embassy also issues some kind of statement that the new passport replaces the old passport (including passport # of the old passport).

Some countries print this statement in the new passport.

A few years ago, my Embassy issued a new passport.

Went to the Immigration in order to re-stamp my visa into my new passport.

My visa was about to expire in 7 days and in 6 days I was about to leave the country.

Immigration connected the 2 passports and told me to offer both passports to Immigration at the airport.

No problem what so ever.

Have you got your new passport already?

What is worth noting that if your passport needs renewing and you are actually visiting the UK, the one day premium service, whereby you can lodge your application in person and collect your new passport and collect four hours later, is still cheaper than renewing in Hong Kong. If you have enough time in the UK, then the savings made by using the regular and seven day service can be quite substantial.

Edited by theoldgit

What is worth noting that if your passport needs renewing and you are actually visiting the UK, the one day premium service, whereby you can lodge your application in person and collect your new passport and collect four hours later, is still cheaper than renewing in Hong Kong. If you have enough time in the UK, then the savings made by using the regular and seven day service can be quite substantial.

Can that still be done at the Post Office

Can that still be done at the Post Office

For the same day and guaranteed seven day service you have to make an appointment at one of the Regional Processing Centres, the one by Victoria Station in London was convienient for me, for the standard service you can send via the Post Office, I believe that is quicker than mailing it.

Hi I just Did my sons passport renew to Hong Kong no problems

*Posted Thai EMS to HK (500Baht)

*pre signed credit card payment

*copy of passport only(you dont have to sen original)

*forms counter signed etc

got it back Via DHL in 3 weeks, but DHL were useless could not find our house, his mobile ran out of points, phoned from a call box and we directed him to our house, but He F***ing left the passport in the Phone booth!

All ended up ok.

just checked the prices.

HK for renewal is quoting 128GBP

UK is 77GBP normal service.

1 day UK service is 129.50GBP.

Sorry, I should have said I was using the cost of a 48 page passport.

£163 in Hong Kong, including return courier fees, plus the postage to Hong Kong, against the £138.50 for the four hour service in the UK. At £24.50 only a small saving but a saving nevertheless, with the added bonus of getting your passport the same day.

If you have more time the cost is £120.50 for the seven day delivery and £90.50 for the regular service, with savings of £42.50 and £72.50 respectively. Of course you need to be visiting the UK and near a Regional Processing Centre to make it cost effective.

Cheers,

Pikey.

.. which would presumably result in bells & whistles sounding loudly if the old passport was swiped through the scanner by the IO at BKK

just checked the prices.

HK for renewal is quoting 128GBP

UK is 77GBP normal service.

1 day UK service is 129.50GBP.

Sorry, I should have said I was using the cost of a 48 page passport.

£163 in Hong Kong, including return courier fees, plus the postage to Hong Kong, against the £138.50 for the four hour service in the UK. At £24.50 only a small saving but a saving nevertheless, with the added bonus of getting your passport the same day.

If you have more time the cost is £120.50 for the seven day delivery and £90.50 for the regular service, with savings of £42.50 and £72.50 respectively. Of course you need to be visiting the UK and near a Regional Processing Centre to make it cost effective.

Not to mention the resulting peace of mind!