New Toyota Hilux Vigo Champ

The new big-minor-change VIGO has now been officially unveiled by Toyota Thailand, and has been coined the "VIGO Champ"

Prices:

Vigo Champ Standard Cab

• 2.5J Standard Cab. 487 000.
  • 2.5J Standard Cab power steering 507 000
  • 2.7J Standard Cab power steering (gasoline) 515 000.
  • 3.0J Standard Cab 537 000.

+7,000 Baht for metallic paint.

Vigo Champ Extra Cab

• 2.5J ExtraCab power steering 552 000

+7,000 Baht for metallic paint

Vigo Champ Smart Cab

• 2.5J SmartCab power steering 587 000
  • 2.7J SmartCab (gasoline) 617 000
  • 2.5E SmartCab 633 000
  • 2.5G SmartCab 681 000
  • 3.0G SmartCab 716 000
  • 2.5E SmartCab (Prerunner) 657 000
  • 2.5E SmartCab VN Turbo (Prerunner) 697 000
  • 3.0G SmartCab (Prerunner) 747 000
  • 2.5E SmartCab VN Turbo 4WD 730 000
  • 3.0G SmartCab 4WD 807 000

Vigo Champ Double Cab

• 2.5J Double Cab 627 000
  • 2.5E Double Cab 717 000
  • 2.7E Double Cab (gasoline) 709 000
  • 2.5G Double Cab 757 000
  • 3.0G Double Cab Automatic 832 000
  • 2.5E Double Cab (Prerunner) 744 000
  • 2.5E Double Cab VN Turbo (Prerunner) 779 000
  • 3.0G Double Cab (Prerunner) 849 000
  • 3.0G Double Cab (Prerunner) Automatic 889 000
  • 2.5E Double Cab VN Turbo 4WD 810 000
  • 3.0G Double Cab 4WD 936 000
  • 3.0G Double Cab Automatic 4WD. 981 000.

Prices have increased anywhere from 8,000 Baht to 18,000 (from lowest model to top).

Most prominent change is the new front end styling - A pillars back remains unchanged except for 'VIGO Champ" branding.

Prerunner double cab is now available with an Automatic transmission.

Engines and transmissions remain unchanged - no extra HP until the end of the year when they go Euro4.

And here's the celebrity TV ads featuring Ronaldo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v3DKcrgEUE

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

a new best seller is out, Prerunner 3,0 auto

Prerunner is very popular partly because the financecompanies accept low down without 4x4

Yep - this one is obviously a result of market pressure from the Triton Plus - however at 80-87K Baht more than the Triton Plus 4-door, and still lacking the Triton Plus' features/HP/Fuel Economy, I don't know if it'll be enough to slow down Mitsu's growth..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Presumably the increase in price is to pay for Christiano's endorsement (via Skype I may add!) as Toyota have not seen fit to address the basic, lousy interior. Quite disappointing but as TIT I have no doubt it will still outsell everything else.

Also worthy of note is that's it's the first model in Thailand to get double nicknames: VIGO Champ

I guess they couldn't go with just "Champ", otherwise people might mistake it for one of these:

car1p.jpg

:D

While on the subject, for those who don't yet know, VIGO is actually an acronym: Value Innovative Global Oustanding.

VIOS is too: Value Innovative Outstanding Sporty.

Really. I didn't make that up :P

Also worthy of note is that's it's the first model in Thailand to get double nicknames: VIGO Champ

I guess they couldn't go with just "Champ", otherwise people might mistake it for one of these:

car1p.jpg

:D

While on the subject, for those who don't yet know, VIGO is actually an acronym: Value Innovative Global Oustanding.

VIOS is too: Value Innovative Outstanding Sporty.

Really. I didn't make that up :P

The name

New

HILUX

VIGO

Champ

is just silly, one foot in the tradition/reliablity Hilux camp, one in Vigo best seller camp, and the rest is.............................

but its gonna sell nomatter what name, as long as it starts with Toyota

In 2003 the old Hilux was still selling, and that was a very old design, facelifted a few times. Spec on that car better than Dmax tho

The name

New

HILUX

VIGO

Champ

is just silly, one foot in the tradition/reliablity Hilux camp, one in Vigo best seller camp, and the rest is.............................

In 2003 the old Hilux was still selling, and that was a very old design, facelifted a few times. Spec on that car better than Dmax tho

If I'm not mistaken, the D-4D Hilux Tiger (that sold from 2002-2004 until the VIGO released) had a 3.0L that made just 97HP - when the D-Max first came it in 2002 it's 3.0L was making ~130HP?

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

The name

New

HILUX

VIGO

Champ

If I'm not mistaken, the D-4D Hilux Tiger (that sold from 2002-2004 until the VIGO released) had a 3.0L that made just 97HP - when the D-Max first came it in 2002 it's 3.0L was making ~130HP?

didnt live here full time in 2002, but in 2003 Tiger had a commonrail 3,0 at 130-140 hp Euro III, while DMax 3,0 was running old style Euro II at 120hp until Euro III was required in 2005?. not to mention DMax dated 3 sensor ABS. DMax looked fresh, but tech was old. Tiger/Sports Cruiser was better tech in an old body

The name

New

HILUX

VIGO

Champ

didnt live here full time in 2002, but in 2003 Tiger had a commonrail 3,0 at 130-140 hp Euro III, while DMax 3,0 was running old style Euro II at 120hp until Euro III was required in 2005?. not to mention DMax dated 3 sensor ABS. DMax looked fresh, but tech was old. Tiger/Sports Cruiser was better tech in an old body

This was bugging me, so I had a dig though some old files to get the facts ;)

Hilux Tiger 3.0L 1999-2002 made 88HP. From 2002-2004 it was upgraded to the D-4D (the first rev of the 1KD-FTV as still used on today's VIGO/Fortuner) which made 123HP. The 1KD-FTV ramped up to 163HP in 2004 for the release of the then brand-new VIGO - which is the same power it continues to make today.

The Isuzu D-Max launched in 2002 with a 3.0L making 120HP. The 2004 minor change saw that increase to 146HP, with the current 163HP being attained in the 2006 minor change.

So it should be pronounced Vigo.as in the Atlantic Lighthouse, not VEEEEEGO.as some do.

Thais pronounce it WE-GO - it's their brand, so they must be right :)

That's true. Marketing guys missed a trick here. Rather than Champ why didn't they go with something like Ware.

Can see the ads now. The new Toyota Vigo Ware? We go everywhere... in the Toyota Vigo Ware!

Sadly, they have not increased power across the range as far as I can see. 3.0 is still 163PS and 343 nm, although I notice 5th gear ratio has been altered on the 2.5VN Turbo. Now less RPM's for the same speed in 5th. A couple of new colours available too. Another point to note: If you want Navigation in your new Vigo, you still need to replace the whole head unit the same as the outgoing model according to Toyota.

Edited by Woodsie888

Im not too familar with the vigo but doesnt that TURBO actually gives it more accel and power at lower speed than the triton? HP isnt everything?

They all have turbos :)

The Hilux makes 163HP max, and 343Nm torque from 1400-3200 RPM, the 2011 Triton Plus 4-door makes 178HP, and 350Nm from 1800-3500 RPM (max torque on Triton is artificially limited with AT - in other markets it makes 400Nm with MT).

Doesn't matter how you try to cut it, the 2011 Triton is simply more powerful than VIGO - it's not a huge margin, but it is noticeable. Before it was an entirely diffrent story thought - the 2008-2010 Triton 2.5L only made 140HP/321Nm, with the torque coming in higher at 2000 RPM - so if you haven't driven a recent model, you might be in for a surprise ;)

I drove the old 3.0 and it wasnt very fast for sure.. I will definitely try the new engines when ive got spare time

No new engines in Vigo or Fortuner, so therefore, nothing to try in your spare time.sad.gif

Edited by Woodsie888

I drove the old 3.0 and it wasnt very fast for sure.. I will definitely try the new engines when ive got spare time

No new engines in Vigo or Fortuner, so therefore, nothing to try in your spare time.sad.gif

even if they do upgrade 3,0 to EuroIV power, it does not make much difference due to the slow shifting 4 speed auto with shift points far above max hp. A major difference would be the 5 speed auto, with shift points making engine work within max powerband

while we are waiting for EuroIV spec here in TH, 2012 Hilux EuroV has just been presented in Europe. 2,5 performs on par with Thai VN, I have no spec on 3,0 yet. Updated interior included electronic AC from Fortuna

Hilux has 25% of the european market, and have done the ugrades to not loose marketshares to newcomer VW Amarok

couple of decades ago VW Taro was a rebadged Hilux :whistling:

i meant the mitsu 3.0

There is no Mistu 3.0L - there used to be a 3.2L which made 165HP, but obseleted by the much improved 2011 4D56 2.5L. The updated 2.5L has more HP, more torque acoss the board, better low-down torque, plus the 2011 version has substantial reductions in noise and vibration, and better fuel economy - so the 3.2L just made no sense anymore.

It's good thing that Toyota has brought out the prerunner 3.0L auto if it has VSC and smart cab I don't see how you would want for more, this is assuming smart cab has the rear suicide door opening.

Standard I think there fast enough, chip it if you want a bit more HP, easy done.

It would have to have ' CHAMP ' in big shiny chrome letter to make me interested.

Edited by Kwasaki

It's good thing that Toyota has brought out the prerunner 3.0L auto if it has VSC and smart cab I don't see how you would want for more, this is assuming smart cab has the rear suicide door opening.

Standard I think there fast enough, chip it if you want a bit more HP, easy done.

No Smart cab at all with AT, and VSC remains exclusive to the 4-door 4x4 top-model.

No Smart cab at all with AT, and VSC remains exclusive to the 4-door 4x4 top-model.

That's a shame VSC for most I would think is important on 2 wheel rear drive.

i meant the mitsu 3.0

There is no Mistu 3.0L - there used to be a 3.2L which made 165HP, but obseleted by the much improved 2011 4D56 2.5L. The updated 2.5L has more HP, more torque acoss the board, better low-down torque, plus the 2011 version has substantial reductions in noise and vibration, and better fuel economy - so the 3.2L just made no sense anymore.

i know i was trying to explain to the confused guy that this is what i had tried.. I didnt retain much information since it wasnt a very nice test drive..

• 2 weeks later...

At our local Toyota dealer yesterday and considering the shortage of pickup trucks after the Tsunami in Japan our dealership was crawling in 'Champs'.

Must have had a recent big delivery as most of the models were there.

I looked over the new auto 4 door Prerunner 3L, and with the changes mentioned earlier in this topic, I noticed it had new type of alloy wheel, different rear light cluster and a camera on the tail gate.

Inside the seat colour/trim was a blue/black colour. The controls for air conditioning new style and a small monitor fitted. There were some buttons on the steering wheel too.

It has nifty 'vn turbo' badges on the front doors. At least not as bad as the current Nissan Navara's with heaps of writing on the doors!.

This auto Prerunner had a price sticker for 896,000 B on it.

Some 7 weeks ago now I took delivery of an auto Vigo 3L double cab that was ordered in February.

Its a good truck and have no complaints so far, if I had known about the 'champ' & the auto Prerunner despite the increase in price I would have considered it.

I now have the word 'chump' stuck on the back of our truck.

ph34r.gif

At our local Toyota dealer yesterday and considering the shortage of pickup trucks after the Tsunami in Japan our dealership was crawling in 'Champs'.

I looked over the new auto 4 door Prerunner 3L, and with the changes mentioned earlier in this topic, I noticed it had new type of alloy wheel, different rear light cluster and a camera on the tail gate.

Inside the seat colour/trim was a blue/black colour. The controls for air conditioning new style and a small monitor fitted. There were some buttons on the steering wheel too.

It has nifty 'vn turbo' badges on the front doors. At least not as bad as the current Nissan Navara's with heaps of writing on the doors!.

This auto Prerunner had a price sticker for 896,000 B on it.

Some 7 weeks ago now I took delivery of an auto Vigo 3L double cab that was ordered in February.

Its a good truck and have no complaints so far, if I had known about the 'champ' & the auto Prerunner despite the increase in price I would have considered it.

I now have the word 'chump' stuck on the back of our truck.

ph34r.gif

Seems like it. I have ordered one (Prerunner, 2.5) and promised delivery before the 10th of next month.

Sadly, they have not increased power across the range as far as I can see. 3.0 is still 163PS and 343 nm, although

How much power does one really need on a truck? I think it's just crazy, they're playing this arms race with horsepower and maximum speed, in a country where few roads are suitable to going much faster than 80-100kmh, in vehicles that don't really have the brakes or suspension for high speeds, especially not with any kind of load in them.

It'd be nice to see much better fuel economy figures, and also CNG versions. That's what I'd be waiting for, not an extra helping of another 10 or 20 HP that you never use, but struggling to make even 10 kms to the liter.

(Note that torque is different, I'll get to that next)

The Hilux makes 163HP max, and 343Nm torque from 1400-3200 RPM, the 2011 Triton Plus 4-door makes 178HP, and 350Nm from 1800-3500 RPM.

Doesn't matter how you try to cut it, the 2011 Triton is simply more powerful than VIGO - it's not a huge margin, but

LOL, What?! :blink: I read the exact same line and the only thing I thought was: "Jesus, Triton needs 1800 revs before things start happening." I think for a truck, and especially for an off-road 4WD truck, that's completely unacceptable.

All : IT'S A TRUCK! And torque is king. These trucks may very well hit an insane 200HP in the near future, but when you have to rev to 2000 rpm to get meaningful torque and you're up a steep mountain slope in the mud then you're truly up shits creek with a 10 ton steam engine. And no paddle.

Yeah, big delivery from down the road. ;) They're made in Thailand, not Japan.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Sadly, they have not increased power across the range as far as I can see. 3.0 is still 163PS and 343 nm, although

How much power does one really need on a truck? I think it's just crazy, they're playing this arms race with horsepower and maximum speed, in a country where few roads are suitable to going much faster than 80-100kmh, in vehicles that don't really have the brakes or suspension for high speeds, especially not with any kind of load in them.

It'd be nice to see much better fuel economy figures, and also CNG versions. That's what I'd be waiting for, not an extra helping of another 10 or 20 HP that you never use, but struggling to make even 10 kms to the liter.

(Note that torque is different, I'll get to that next)

The Hilux makes 163HP max, and 343Nm torque from 1400-3200 RPM, the 2011 Triton Plus 4-door makes 178HP, and 350Nm from 1800-3500 RPM.

Doesn't matter how you try to cut it, the 2011 Triton is simply more powerful than VIGO - it's not a huge margin, but

LOL, What?! :blinking: I read the exact same line and the only thing I thought was: "Jesus, Triton needs 1800 revs before things start happening." I think for a truck, and especially for an off-road 4WD truck, that's completely unacceptable.

All : IT'S A TRUCK! And torque is king. These trucks may very well hit an insane 200HP in the near future, but when you have to rev to 2000 rpm to get meaningful torque and you're up a steep mountain slope in the mud then you're truly up shits creek with a 10 ton steam engine. And no paddle.

Yeah, big delivery from down the road. ;) They're made in Thailand, not Japan.

Tend to agree, the focus should be on torque at the lowest revs possible in a truck for work but with decent HP to do the work and play. :)

Winnie, I haven't just stepped off the last boat that docked!.

Toyota has 3 assembly plants in LOS. They run out of bits to assemble the trucks due to Toyota's post Tsunami problems in Japan.

My own order was delayed by some weeks, but happy hector now.

ph34r.gif