And So You Bought The Sg2

I picked up my phone and it did have the new firmware installed. The odd time I will have network problems but not as nearly as bad before, I believe the problem is with the phone and not True, also TRUE 3G is better coverage right now then AIS.

I tried an experiment by putting an AIS sim card in my S2 and I get a strong signal and 3G symbol shows, so it looks like you can use the S2 on either network.

That mean i9100t is also quadband!

dsj's report is the first, first-hand report I've seen which seems to verify that some version of the SGS2 with some version of firmware can operate on both 850 Mhz and 900 Mhz.

Great info here. I have the Sll locked to Bell Canada (unlock easy), anything else I need to do to use at home in Chiang Rai? I hope to use both Bell (ln Canada) and who ever can provide 3G up north. Model is 19100M. Phone is on steriods wifi and awesome on Bell G.

I do not believe there is any 3G available in Chiang Rai. Maybe consider EGDE from AIS/One-2-Call or DTAC/Happy.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up my phone and it did have the new firmware installed. The odd time I will have network problems but not as nearly as bad before, I believe the problem is with the phone and not True, also TRUE 3G is better coverage right now then AIS.

I tried an experiment by putting an AIS sim card in my S2 and I get a strong signal and 3G symbol shows, so it looks like you can use the S2 on either network.

I started to have the same problem of people not being able to call me, so I went back to Samsung yesterday at MBK and they told me that most of the True SGs2 have the same problem, the head customer service rep told me that True has to send some unlock codes to each phone so their sims card work, and that should be done automatically on August 18th. Also Samsung told me that they are coming out with new software in the next couple of weeks. It is good to see that TRUE is working on the problem and correcting it.

That mean i9100t is also quadband!

dsj's report is the first, first-hand report I've seen which seems to verify that some version of the SGS2 with some version of firmware can operate on both 850 Mhz and 900 Mhz.

Great info here. I have the Sll locked to Bell Canada (unlock easy), anything else I need to do to use at home in Chiang Rai? I hope to use both Bell (ln Canada) and who ever can provide 3G up north. Model is 19100M. Phone is on steriods wifi and awesome on Bell G.

I do not believe there is any 3G available in Chiang Rai. Maybe consider EGDE from AIS/One-2-Call or DTAC/Happy.

Hang onto your SGS2's. The Apple lawsuits are causing some retailers to pull product from the shelves. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 seems most affected (banned from sale in the EU pending a Aug. 25 hearing) but the SGS2 has also been identified by Apple as infringing. Obviously this is more about Apple v. Google, but Samsung, like HTC previously, is caught in the middle.

Edited by lomatopo

Sorry I wasn't following well...may I know what's the difference between the Samsung Galaxy S2 AIS Version compared to the True Version? Any difference?

If I buy a True version and put an AIS Sim card, will it work?

Strange to have 2 versions for 2 telcos...

Edited by Zen

Would anyone with a 9100t be willing to borrow an Ais sim card from a friend and test 3g connectivity? Really curious about that

See posts #110 and #117 where dsj seems to indicate ownership of a i9100T (the True/DTAC version) apparently working on AIS, perhaps after a firmware modification.

I've been looking for a more detailed first-hand account, in other local forums, unsuccessfully. Also I'm still not clear on how widespread this i1900T "True connectivity" issue is? I am still recommending to anyone who asks that they buy the version for their preferred network.

For now I feel semi-comfortable saying that a local i9100 or i9100T may be able to be made to operate on both 850 and 900 Mhz 3G networks, perhaps with some firmware modifications.

I changed to the SG2 from Nexus One. I installed a 32 GB SD card (class 10).

Total storage now is 48 GB, which is great as I have alot of Audio Books and

Lectures (with Video) I like to listen too ....

The screen and speed are absolutely awesome.

I am getting 1-2 days usage from the 1600 mah battery (somebody said it

was 1400 mah - that's WRONG). Li-Ion batteries like to be kept fully charged

and be topped off. So I charge my phone every night, and have never had

an issue. I can see the battery lasting less than a day if you chose to have

3G data connection always on and play games/videos all day long. Typically

I have about 50% battery left when I go to bed ...

I had a custom ROM on my Nexus One (Cygmod 7). But I was not dramatically

impressed with it, and had several crashes. For the time being I am keeping

the original ROM, it has everything I need.

I did replace the Launcher (User Interface) with the FREE GO Launcher. I

find it slightly better than the original Samsung Launcher.

I bought the SPB Shell 3D Launcher ($15 USD) which was a big mistake.

Except for the really fancy and cool desktop 3D wheel, it lacks on features

of other Launchers. My recommendation is Stay Away from SPB Shell 3D ...

Cheers,

rudi

where did you get the 32GB Class 10 Micro SD memory card ?

anywhere in bkk ?

i can only find 32 GB Class 4 Micro SD memory cards

pls let me know.

The Samsung SGS2 is really beautiful, but the two main issues with my old HTC Desire still stands:

First there's the terrible battery life. Even with Oxygen-ROM which is tuned for maximum battery saving it's awful. Sure, if I only take a call or two and some very light Internet usage, I can make a charge last a full day, but 2-3 hours actual work on the phone and it's pretty much dead. As it has a 1400 mA battery I doubt the SGS2 will be much different for this, and I don't see a solution until there is another serious breakthrough in battery technology, like when the LiIon battery replaced NiCa batteries.

Then there's the 4-band GSM radio but only 2-band HSPA/WCDMA which severely limits you freedom to choose a carrier here. At least this ought to have been easy to fix, but I think the problem is most of the world use 2100 MHz for 3G, 850/900MHz systems is just so 1980.

I think I'll stick with the old Desire for a little while yet, particularly as there are now custom ROMS available for it, no longer depending on HTC to bring out updates.

The battery is not 1400 but 1600. Battery life is prety good for this amount of power and you can get a full day out of it with moderate usage....just like any other modern smart phone. I know those reports sometimes that say "I get 2 days out of it or sth like that" but I think thats not realistic. That wont happen with an iphone also with normal usage. but its OK i think. Anyway, the SG2 doesnt perform worse or better than other smart phones here.

The Samsung SGS2 is really beautiful, but the two main issues with my old HTC Desire still stands:

First there's the terrible battery life. Even with Oxygen-ROM which is tuned for maximum battery saving it's awful. Sure, if I only take a call or two and some very light Internet usage, I can make a charge last a full day, but 2-3 hours actual work on the phone and it's pretty much dead. As it has a 1400 mA battery I doubt the SGS2 will be much different for this, and I don't see a solution until there is another serious breakthrough in battery technology, like when the LiIon battery replaced NiCa batteries.

Then there's the 4-band GSM radio but only 2-band HSPA/WCDMA which severely limits you freedom to choose a carrier here. At least this ought to have been easy to fix, but I think the problem is most of the world use 2100 MHz for 3G, 850/900MHz systems is just so 1980.

I think I'll stick with the old Desire for a little while yet, particularly as there are now custom ROMS available for it, no longer depending on HTC to bring out updates.

The battery is not 1400 but 1600. Battery life is prety good for this amount of power and you can get a full day out of it with moderate usage....just like any other modern smart phone. I know those reports sometimes that say "I get 2 days out of it or sth like that" but I think thats not realistic. That wont happen with an iphone also with normal usage. but its OK i think. Anyway, the SG2 doesnt perform worse or better than other smart phones here.

This has already been discussed, check post #26. The "it" I refer to in "As it has a 1400 mA battery I doubt the SGS2 will be much different for this" is my HTC Desire.

Question

I am confused

Every spec I see for the SGS2 shows UMTS to be Quad band

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxys2/html/specification.html

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3621&idPhone2=3536

That means 3G should work for any carrier

Why is there a T version at all unless you buy from True itself ?

But we all buy at Fortune Town or MBK in general here in Bkk

So why is it some claim you have to have the right version phone ?

Thanks

Edited by paulfr

Just to summarize the oft discussed topic:

The SGS2, for GSM markets (i.e. not Korea, Japan, Sprint, etc.) is said by Samsung to be quad-band, 850/900/1900/2100 3G-compatible.

There are two SGS2 models sold here: i9100 by/for AIS, and the i9100T by/for True/DTAC.

There are some reports here (one or two I think) that i9100T suffers from some "connectivity issues" with True. But that this can be repaired or remedied.

There are some reports here that an i9100 might work on both AIS and True 3G, indicating both 850 and 900 Mhz compatibility.

There are some reports of an i9100T, perhaps with some repair or modifications, working on AIS 3G.

See also my post #127 above.

I'd recommend you take a known good working 3G-enabled SIM, from your preferred provider and verify it works with the SGS2 before purchase.

Just to add to the discussion, dtac launched 3g today and i have seen a lot of switching between 3g, E, H, and H+ icons. even standing in one spot, the phone seems to switch every few seconds. bugs in the 3g launch or bug in the phone?anyone else experienced this?

Just to add to the discussion, dtac launched 3g today and i have seen a lot of switching between 3g, E, H, and H+ icons. even standing in one spot, the phone seems to switch every few seconds. bugs in the 3g launch or bug in the phone?anyone else experienced this?

Sounds like a configuration or location issue. I have DTAC 3G on an SGSold and it is working fine. You have a DTAC SIM? You have a 3G data plan? You set up an APN? Re-booted your phone? Which version of the SGS2 do you have?

* I did change Acquisition Order to UMTS-->GSM in the engineering service menu...

*#*#197328640#*#*

Debug Screen

Phone Control

Network Control

Acquisition Order change if necessary

There are two SGS2 models sold here: i9100 by/for AIS, and the i9100T by/for True/DTAC.

Minor error here

DTAC is 850 MHz. I called them today to verify.

True is 900 MHz.

So the i9100T will only work with True

I'd recommend you take a known good working 3G-enabled SIM, from your preferred provider and verify it works with the SGS2 before purchase.

Good suggestion.

Minor error here

DTAC is 850 MHz. I called them today to verify.

True is 900 MHz.

So the i9100T will only work with True

Good suggestion.

True is 850 Mhz for 3G; DTAC is 850 Mhz for 3G; AIS is 900 Mhz for 3G; TOT/MVNOs are 2100 Mhz for 3G.

Well, this is complicated...

the i9100T is sold by True and DTAC, and is purported to work on their 850 Mhz 3G networks

the i9100 is sold by AIS and is purported to work on their 900 Mhz 3G network

I don't think location is the issue. Same everywhere. I'm using the I9100T. What is setting up an APN? Yes, i have a DTAC data plan and 3g is working up to around 1.5mbps.

Will try your suggestions later about changing the order.

Sounds like a configuration or location issue. I have DTAC 3G on an SGSold and it is working fine. You have a DTAC SIM? You have a 3G data plan? You set up an APN? Re-booted your phone? Which version of the SGS2 do you have?

* I did change Acquisition Order to UMTS-->GSM in the engineering service menu...

*#*#197328640#*#*

Debug Screen

Phone Control

Network Control

Acquisition Order change if necessary

I don't think location is the issue. Same everywhere. I'm using the I9100T. What is setting up an APN? Yes, i have a DTAC data plan and 3g is working up to around 1.5mbps.

Will try your suggestions later about changing the order.

Sorry, I inferred that you were not getting any 3G service from DTAC. Obviously it is working for you, so maybe best not change anything. ;)

Every phone is different but in general the network indicator may switch from 3G (on idle) to H or H+ or HSPA or HSPA+ when using data.

An APN, or Access Point Name, is used to configure your Mobile Data connection(s). Perhaps the i9100/AIS comes pre-loaded with the AIS APN details and the i9100T comes pre-loaded with the True and DTAC APN details?

I always manually configure the APN. Settings, Wireless and network, Mobile networks, Access Point Names, create/edit and save APN details. Select the APN configuration you want to use.

Reboot the phone.

post-9615-0-77360000-1313550786_thumb.jp

Can't say for the i9100t, BUT...!

The Samsung i9100 works on AIS and True, regardless of what the sticker says. I tried it today. I'm probably not the first, but it keeps coming up.

Stock firmware (KF4), and came with the AIS sticker on the box (god knows for what reason -- to scare us into loyalty? I'd much rather get the subsidy..).

Ran it on AIS 3g for a few weeks, and then turned it off, popped in a friends working True sim from an iPhone4 (with the adapter for micro, natch), and it fired right up. So, 850 or 900, no problem, no configuration.

AIS 3g has been dead for a few days, but at its peak I saw about 3M. With true, at 5 pm (peak hours?), I pulled a measly 1.7M.

I never messed with the settings, so I imagine it's on auto.

Great news for the fickle consumer!

Would anyone with a 9100t be willing to borrow an Ais sim card from a friend and test 3g connectivity? Really curious about that

Just popped in an AIS sim in my i9100t but no 3g, wish there was a way to check and see if it was working without driving around. At least all the APN settings auto-detected correctly.

The Samsung i9100 works on AIS and True, regardless of what the sticker says. I tried it today. I'm probably not the first, but it keeps coming up.

Stock firmware (KF4), and came with the AIS sticker on the box (god knows for what reason -- to scare us into loyalty? I'd much rather get the subsidy..).

Ran it on AIS 3g for a few weeks, and then turned it off, popped in a friends working True sim from an iPhone4 (with the adapter for micro, natch), and it fired right up. So, 850 or 900, no problem, no configuration.

AIS 3g has been dead for a few days, but at its peak I saw about 3M. With true, at 5 pm (peak hours?), I pulled a measly 1.7M.

Edited by justsumhelp

Incidentally, I live in Phrakanong and work in Huay Kwang, and I haven't seen 3G on AIS in at least two days. I had 3G originally on AIS, so I can vouch that it worked. Was really happy/surprised to see it run on True 3G.

Just popped in an AIS sim in my i9100t but no 3g, wish there was a way to check and see if it was working without driving around. At least all the APN settings auto-detected correctly.

Ah the plot thickens about the mysterious i9100 and i9100T. Not receiving a 3g signal yet from AIS I began to question wether or not the my i9100T model is actually quad band UTMS. So I call AIS tell them I can not receive 3g in my area (Bangkapi) and would like help. The kind and very well spoken customer representative asked my about my phone to which i replied a galaxy s2 I bought from a friend. She said not all models of the phone will work on AIS since there is one for TRUE/DTAC and one for AIS. She then told me that if i supply her with the imei # then she can check to see if it is compatible with their system. Gave it to her and surprisingly she said that the phone would work since it was originally bought from AIS. Which it was not, I bought it from a True shop and is clearly branded i9100T. This makes me really confused. So now im waiting to have a call back while the technician checks the system. Strange strange

You should have AIS 3G coverage in Bang Kapi, I searched some Thai forums and found plenty of successful reports, although everyone's definition of a name-place here can be quite vast.

Did you mess around with this phone and add a different ROM/modem? I've honestly lost track of the three SGS2's you talk about here. You subscribed to an AIS 3G data plan? Manually entered the APN information (relying a pre-fills can be troublesome)? Re-booted the phone? Could be something in the settings you screwed up?

Went and bought a sim added the 3g did the apn settings, I have a complete frankenstein of a phone right now modem rom wise, will probably flash back to stock later if I cant pick up 3g when I leave school today. Specific area in on the ABAC campus.

You should have AIS 3G coverage in Bang Kapi, I searched some Thai forums and found plenty of successful reports, although everyone's definition of a name-place here can be quite vast.

Did you mess around with this phone and add a different ROM/modem? I've honestly lost track of the three SGS2's you talk about here. You subscribed to an AIS 3G data plan? Manually entered the APN information (relying a pre-fills can be troublesome)? Re-booted the phone? Could be something in the settings you screwed up?

Just went back to original and there was no 3g, must be the location.

I called AIS a couple days ago and they said the 3g was down until the 21st, though it came on again today on Thong Lo.

I am convinced the sticker-based carrier branding is a hoax. I tried it again on my i9100 stock rom, and got 3G on AIS and then 3G True.

It's a quad band phone, pure and simple. Don't believe the hype. Feel free to dump your carrier at any time.

Why not just buy the phone from TRUE?? Then let the salesperson show you it's working in 3G? Lots of drama.

btw. I don't shop at MBK. They have a crap selection. I would shop Central BangNa or Paradise Park.

Edited by snarky66