Bangkok Police Break Gang Who Mugged Musician Bruce Gaston

webfact

Police break gang of muggers

By The Nation

30160364-01.jpg

Three suspects who allegedly mugged musician Bruce Gaston on June 27 at the Phra Khanong BTS station were arrested yesterday.

Metropolitan police chief Maj-General Chakthip Chaijinda confirmed that three men named Anant Paleebatr, 38; Navapon Leepad, 19; and Attapong Sakulnee, 27; were now under police custody.

These three men allegedly confessed that they were part of a group of seven who rode around the city on motorcycles looking for victims. They snatched Gaston's bag at the BTS station and were later traced back to a house in Pattanakarn Soi 25.

Police said this group trawled Sukhumvit, Chan, Charoenkrung, Pattanakarn, Srinakarin, Lad Phrao and Ramkhamhaeng roads looking for victims. People who have encountered this group of suspects can go to Klong Tan police station to get their belongings.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-07-16

Good story. Where are all the negative comments about how supposedly inept Thai police are? Where are all the comments about how "no one helps them." Give this short article a good read. Read it over and over again. Memorize it. Make it your mantra until you stop whining. jap.gif

Good story. Where are all the negative comments about how supposedly inept Thai police are? Where are all the comments about how "no one helps them." Give this short article a good read. Read it over and over again. Memorize it. Make it your mantra until you stop whining. jap.gif

My mantra would focus more on those form-fitting uniforms.

I wonder if the gang was specifically targeting the elderly or infirm? Mr. Gaston is approx 62. Tan Network reports that Navapon Leepad confessed that he and 7 associates physically attacked Mr. Gaston and stole his handbag. SRather pathetic to beat up on an old man like that. Good to see the BiB stop the gang from terrorizing others.

I don't knock Thai police in general, though I do knock their ineptitude at investigating.

Good to hear they busted the 7 or so punks who steal. Wonder if the punks will get any real punishment (if found guilty), or whether they'll be let off with just a warning not to target celebrities.

falangiim ever heard the saying "One Swallow doesn't make a summer."

bruce who ?

you know, bruce, the worn out falang who has lived in thailand for close to 40 years -

Even I know he was honoured for his contribution to Thai culture. I don't really care for his genre, but he's no slouch. He had a masters diploma and is respected. That is certainly better than making a spectacle of himself pawing at girls like some foreignes. And certainly a better quality of foreigner than one usually reads about in the Pattaya news crime blotter. An old guy was mugged. Have a heart. That could have been your grandfather. :(

Snatch Thieves Arrested in Famous Musician Case

Klong Tan Metropolitan Officer have nabbed the leader of a robbery gang that attacked a famous musician.

Officers said that the gang attacked the victim in the Pra Kanong District.

Klong Tan Metropolitan Officer arrested Navapon Padlee and have charged him with robbery of the renowned musician, Bruce Gaston on June 27 at Phra Kanong BTS station.

During the initial questioning, Navapon confessed that he and 7 collaborators had physically attacked Bruce and looted his handbag.

Police officers revealed that a gang named 'Tiger' is behind the crime. Recently, officers had already arrested 27 year old Attapon Sakunee who is the gang leader.

Meanwhile, officers are working quickly to find the 4 remaining suspects.

The gang leader confessed that his gang often commits crimes in the Phra Kanong, Bangrak and Sukhumwit districts and specifically targets victims who are alone late at night.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-07-16

footer_n.gif

And how long had this gang been operating before the police struck like lightning.

I think I'll still be 100% skeptical when it comes to the Thai police. They did their job. Well done!

Maybe you should join the voluntary police in Pattaya.

YOU're obviously the Dumb a$$ Newbie who thihnks offhand remarks are funny,, Bruce is an accomplished Musician, plays a regular set at the Sheraton, has many honors including Royal ones.

Best to know the people you're commenting on before opening that Newbie mouth.

bruce who ?

you know, bruce, the worn out falang who has lived in thailand for close to 40 years -

I wonder if the gang was specifically targeting the elderly or infirm? Mr. Gaston is approx 62. Tan Network reports that Navapon Leepad confessed that he and 7 associates physically attacked Mr. Gaston and stole his handbag. SRather pathetic to beat up on an old man like that. Good to see the BiB stop the gang from terrorizing others.

And what about the Scottish lady who died from her injuries after being dragged to the ground by thugs on a motorcycle who grabbed her bag, I think it was on Sukomvik around 2 years ago. I think her name was Mrs Rioch. Maybe this gang have an answer..

How dare you! 62 is the new 42!

And the word is shoulder bag, not handbag.

Sigh. I guess you're an American youth.

The police here are very efficient.

They know absolutely every gang, and its activities, within their respective precincts. They have to, in order to collect their monthly subscriptions.

Where gangs get caught is when (1) they operate outside their own allotted geographical areas, thus impinging on someone else's turf, an immediate kiss of death; or (2) they accidentally attack someone of stature, be it political connections, financial sway, or whatever.

Normally, banging on a foreigner is safe -- how many of us have relatives in high places here? But Bruce Gaston happens to be one of the best known and well connected westerners in town: sod's luck to the muggers.

Perfect.;)

bruce who ?

Do you know this man and have a specific reason to say 'worn out'?

One reason i can think of might be the pony-tail, but to call him 'worn out' based on his appearance alone, would be unfair IMO.

He apparently made the band, it is his ideas and his compositions.

I have seen him at Dawan deang Rama 3

Very lively piano player and lively music. He speaks almost perfect Thai too.

Glad they "caught" the robbers.

Maybe because this guy has some fame that's why the punks got caught. If you throw in a nameless farang/tourist in the equation, things might be a little different.

Well don't worry. Can't see anyone wanting to mess with the angel of death. (or as a Thai would spell it, the angle of death)

Bruce Gaston, commonly referred to as Ajarn Bruce by Thais, has been here 42 years following discharge from the US Army.

His genre is Thai-Western Fusion. He taught at Chula for many years and can now be seen at, among other places, the Tawan Daeng Beer Hall on Rama 3.

Remember the old lady who was severely injured last year (I think it was?) by a drive by grab? I wonder if the police will focus on this with them as well? Not saying these guys did it, but if the guys are proven to be guilty of this kind of thing, then perhaps they have knowledge of the old lady as well.

/quote

Founder of the Fong Nam ensemble, American composer Bruce Gaston has produced more than 30 CDs of classical and modern Thai music. A musician who has shared his knowledge with students at Payap and Chulalongkorn Universities, he is the only non-Thai to achieve the highest ordination in Thai classical music. In 2009, his achievements were recognised with the Silpathorn National Artist Award, the highest honour for an artist in Thailand, becoming the only non-Thai to have received this honour. A supporter of children’s charities, he is currently working on his third children’s opera, A Boy and a Tiger.

website

http://www.thailandtatler.com/bruce-gaston/

YOU're obviously the Dumb a$ Newbie who thihnks offhand remarks are funny,, Bruce is an accomplished Musician, plays a regular set at the Sheraton, has many honors including Royal ones.

Best to know the people you're commenting on before opening that Newbie mouth.

bruce who ?

Worn out....

what trash talk,

this guy is worth most any 3 musicians in this country.

He can play any style with anybody, and beyond,

and lose most all players with the width and breadth of his abilities.

No one else I can see here can quote Prokofiev, Stephen Foster,

Earl Hines, Gershwin, L. Bernstein, and Aaron Copeland

in the piano intro to just ONE Fong Nam piece.

I am glad Bruce wasn't hurt and they stopped these guys,

for what ever reasons they were motivated to do so.

He is a national treasure.

Edited by animatic