Retirement Visa Extention

Hi All,

It's that time of year again. I need to extend my retirement visa for the year, but have forgotten what I need exactly. I do the 800,000 in the bank method, so know that I need a letter from the bank. Can someone please tell me what else I need. Other than a memory.

I have just changed computers. Old one died with all needed documentation on it.

Cheers jb1

Passport and copies of data page, arrival card and visa/extensions signed by you. Letter from bank (same or previous day often a requirement at some locations) and same day proof (passbook entry) and copies of passbook pages showing account balance has remained above requirement for 3 months also signed by you. 1,900 baht and 4x6cm new photos for the TM.7 form. Proof of residence if your office requires and pen to fill in several other forms.

You might want to think about getting a "re-entry" permit whilst you are there incase you want to go outside Thailand for any reason. Handy if something unexpected comes up and you have to leave quickly, or if like me you like to have all aspects covered.

Sorry to perhaps hijack this thread. Thank you for the list of documents needed for this topic.

I am currently in Thailand on a Non Imm. 'O' visa from Hull, UK. I believe I qualify for my first extension of stay based upon retirement, and the THB 800,000 is doing its' 2 month maturing here.

My current permission to stay expires on 25 September. My visa expires on 24 August. Does the first extension have to be done within the validity of the visa? If so, the funds will not have matured, and so the only solution I would see is returning to the UK and applying again for a new O visa - which they may or may not give me. Or - worse still - return to the UK and wait around for the police report to start the retirement visa/extension process from there.

I would be very grateful for any advice on this, or suggestions for alternatives. I am sure I meet all the requirements, it is just that the funds will not have matured by 24 August.

Many thanks for any help.

The important date is the permitted to stay allowed. Your visa does not have to be valid. So if you will meet the two month requirement before September 25th (which it will reading between the lines) you will be fine. Or if you can use a combination of Embassy letter income and bank deposit (not two months required). If you needed a new visa it should be issued by a local Consulate in Laos or Cambodia/Malaysia without a trip back to the UK.

The important date is the permitted to stay allowed. Your visa does not have to be valid. So if you will meet the two month requirement before September 25th (which it will reading between the lines) you will be fine. Or if you can use a combination of Embassy letter income and bank deposit (not two months required). If you needed a new visa it should be issued by a local Consulate in Laos or Cambodia/Malaysia without a trip back to the UK.

Thank you. I was hoping that was the case, so I should be fine.

Thanks for the very prompt and clear answer.:jap:

If you have a multiple non-O visa, you can get another 90 days by just leaving and re-entering just before the visa itself expires.

Yes, thank you. I do have a multi entry visa. I may indeed re-enter before 24 August and use this 'free' extra 90 days to give me that extra time needed to jump through any hoops my Immigration office deem appropriate. :lol:

Thanks again for your time and input guys.

Don't forget. YTou can apply during the last 30 days of any permisison to stay. The extension of your permission to stay will always start on the date your current permisison to stay ends, so by applying early you don't lose any ays and you will be sure to have extra time in case some additional documents are required.

Immigration often advices to come in 3 to 2 weeks before.

For retirement it is not a lot of paperwork or hoop jumping. The only requirement is a couple photo copies/photo/financial proof and 1,900 baht for most people. The only extra thing for retirement might be some show of residence.

Passport and copies of data page, arrival card and visa/extensions signed by you. Letter from bank (same or previous day often a requirement at some locations) and same day proof (passbook entry) and copies of passbook pages showing account balance has remained above requirement for 3 months also signed by you. 1,900 baht and 4x6cm new photos for the TM.7 form. Proof of residence if your office requires and pen to fill in several other forms.

Concur with all the above, the provincial offices have some extra quirky requirements/procedures.

I had to show my 90 Day reporting slip, and in January this year I opened a 15 month fixed deposit account and put the 800k Baht into it.

I was asked for the old account book as the Immigration officer wanted to know where this deposit had come from!.

Well I explained the money had been in the account for well over 6 months and I didn't have the old book with me. I had to show my normal Bangkok Bank account book, joint one with wife and after some discussion with his supervisor all was ok!.

They take a photo of you too now.

My extension took only 25 minutes, if you have all your docs they can process fairly quickly these days.

This was at Phitsanulok which covers Phitsanulok, Phichit and Phetchabun.

I went to do my visa extention on Thursday at Chaeng Watthana (Government Complex). Had letter rental + contract from apartments where I am staying. Also letter from bank stating the 800,000bt.

Arrived there at 11.30, collected my ticket (lunch 12.00-1.00) jobsworth called me in at around 3.00pm. looked at paper work, said he needed bank book, the amount matched the letter from bank, then decided he wanted the bank book up dated, so off we go to bank got that sorted went back, had to wait a while whildst he was looking into something else. Eventually he looked at the book, then decided he wanted a photocopy of the page that showed amount, so off we go again. When we got back, all was ok, more papers to sign two other people to see. Got my stamp all finished at 3.45pm. Had to prise the contract for apartment from him (jobsworth). That was the fourth time I had done the visa extention and I have to say that it was certainly the worsrt.

so be warned.

1/ Letter from bank

2/ Bank book

3/ Bank book updated

jb1

Don't forget. YTou can apply during the last 30 days of any permisison to stay. The extension of your permission to stay will always start on the date your current permisison to stay ends, so by applying early you don't lose any ays and you will be sure to have extra time in case some additional documents are required.

Immigration often advices to come in 3 to 2 weeks before.

I would say good advice, Mario.

jb1