Ceylon Or Other Quality Tea

ChiangMai101

Hi - I have a question to all the tea drinkers in Chiang Mai.

I noticed on my last visit to Chiang Mai that good quality black tea was difficult to find. I found lots of Twinings at Rimping etc but it was soooo expensive. Also saw a bit of Lipton around the place but I'm not a big fan of their tea though. I was a bit surprised as some good tea is grown in Sri Lanka and I assumed that since its close proximity to Thailandi it would be readily available - Lucky Leaf Super Fine brand for example. Dunno maybe I just didn't look hard enough..?

Intending to move to Chiang Mai for retirement in early 2012 and don't really want to bring a big supply of tea with me. What do other tea drinkers drink over there? Fresh pure black tea is what I prefer like an English breakfast type.

I have seen Ceylon(Sri Lankan) tea in both Rimping and Tops,cannot remember

the brand but was definitely from Sri Lanka.

Word of caution bringing in tea through customs ,my daughter was very lucky

that they let her through with my supply of Yorkshire tea ,they found something

else they could levy tax on ,but said next time it would be confiscated !!

Twinnings is expensive,Liptons not strong enough ,even if you left in cup

all day,and the brand manufactured in Chiang Mai,not good enough.

kind regards Worgeordie

kind regards Worgeordie

I hadn't realised that it was a problem to bring food and drink into Thailand?

I drink T MAX Black Tea, a lot cheaper than the brands you mention. You may find this address interesting. http://www.ramingtea.com/thai.php

Any concern which can produce such a pleasant website gets my support and they tell you that : "teas found on high mountains in Mae Taeng District of Chiang Mai grow wild on the mountain and belong to the same variety as the Assam teas that are planted in India and Sri Lanka."

Give Thailand a chance ; why hanker after Sri Lankan and Indian tea. The conditions in which they're grown are probably very similar. Thailand produces some good coffee so why not tea?

Cheers

Edited by Asmerom

The answer to this must depend on your personal taste. A friend once brought me some local Sri Lankan tea, and I just didn't like the taste, quite different from Dilmah or other brands. Raming is a good alternative... Dilmah of you must buy imported. PG Tips or Liptons if you smoke, and have a reduced sense of taste.

I drink T MAX Black Tea, a lot cheaper than the brands you mention. You may find this address interesting. http://www.ramingtea.com/thai.php

Any concern which can produce such a pleasant website gets my support and they tell you that : "teas found on high mountains in Mae Taeng District of Chiang Mai grow wild on the mountain and belong to the same variety as the Assam teas that are planted in India and Sri Lanka."

Give Thailand a chance ; why hanker after Sri Lankan and Indian tea. The conditions in which they're grown are probably very similar. Thailand produces some good coffee so why not tea?

Cheers

Thanks for the tip will def. try that. I would much rather support the local industry. Is it only available at the Siam Celadon shop?

I do like Yorkshire and PG tips but not the price. Dilmah is passable but I think it has a bitter aftertaste.

Cheers

Thanks for the tip will def. try that. I would much rather support the local industry. Is it only available at the Siam Celadon shop?

I do like Yorkshire and PG tips but not the price. Dilmah is passable but I think it has a bitter aftertaste.

No. The Raming T Max Black Label tea (English Blend) is widely available in its distinctive yellow packet with black lettering. I usually buy mine at Rimping as it's convenient but probably pricier. Though there is such a huge selection of teas displayed its often a trial locating it on the shelves.

Raming Tea sells great tea with a huge selection. Why not go directly to the source? The head of Raming Tea is also the Canadian Consul here in Chiangmai. The Raming Tea/ Canadian Consulate is on the Super Highway (Hwy 11) as one exits the city heading South to Lamphun/Lampang/Bkk, just past the 1141(Mahidol Rd) junction on the left(east). They have a nice air-conditioned cafe at the edge of the Super Highway with many varieties of tea for sale. They provide internet connection to while away your time there.

I've been buying HELADIV english breakfast tea for some years now. Its from Sri Lanka and is packed boxes with a big Union Jack..easy to spot!. Can make a good strong pot if thats what you like,or dont brew so long and its vey aromatic and tasty.

Helediv also have quite a good selection of other teas,certainly at Rimping.

kind regards Worgeordie

Don't really understand this as I bring back 500 Tea Bags every trip. Been seen by customs along with many other foods and never a word said. They are mainly looking for Bacca and Booze and show little interest in much else but I'm coming from the UK and have always got my Thai Mrs in tow. Maybe different from other places?

When I do run out I always go for the Dilmah which seems to be the nearest flavour to our Tea's.

I prefer Earl Grey and I get a mate in NZ to send me 6 boxes of 100 tea bags at a time and I have never had a problem yet.

I just looked up Dilmah Earl Grey and on the website for 6 packs of 20 tea bags each they want USD $48.

The last time I saw Lipton's Earl Grey in Lotus it was 175 baht for 25.

My mate pays about 220 baht for 100 in NZ.

kind regards Worgeordie

Blimey, I usually carry more tea back with me than the "Clippers" used to carry going the other way. Never been stopped once. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I do think though that places like Rimping supermkts are taking the piss, the Baht has appreciated some 20% over the last 5 years against most major currencies, but have the prices of goods stayed the same or similar, no have they bu**ery! These supermkt chains just keep on increasing the prices.