Tiger Warranty Issues

I observe that there is information being posted here by persons new to the forum that presumes great knowledge of overall pictures and averages.

Stating things about 'most' people or 'usually' and or what's going on at the factory and so on presumes a close knowledge of full facts, not personal experience alone or few examples gleaned from the I'net.

Don't mean to suggest that there are not 'best strategies' for dealing with a small Thai manufacturer, great frustration with any delays relating to a new purchase, nor to deny anyone's personal experience - which in some instances might have been angry-making indeed.

But if this thread is to be helpful, we should be precise in naming what worked best for us and our situation. For example, I had a new bike which required factory work and Tiger came and picked it up at their expense and shipped it back at their expense. Pariya + Patience = Progress. Entire satisfaction came after working with a mechanic and private shops, no big deal and it included improvements of a personal preference nature.

Ultimately I had to employ patience and depend upon Pariya. As a new bike owner, I became frustrated and angry, as if this were not a (relatively) small company in Thailand. Wanted things my way and now. Had I paid much more - double at the time - I might well have avoided frustration. In "Finding Nemo," Dora keeps saying, "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming." Seems sort of mindless, but it works.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thaicbr

are you sure you dont work for Tiger? :) just admit Tiger look like its crap,,, but again "they have a very good service" :)

Hd. If you look at my posts both here and at Tigersachs club. I have ALWAYS said that Tiger could , should improve their QC.

i DO FIND IT SURPRISING how poor the warranty work was in this insistence thats why i suggested talking to Khun Pariya as misunderstandings can happen very quickly if English is not your 1st language.

Thats why ANY ONE looking for a new vehicle should use the internet to check things relevant to a purchase. I'm sure that if the internet and google had been available 15 years ago you would have seen plenty of complaints about Harley Davidson. But they changed and got better. I'm sure that Tiger will do the same but not 100% sure as SE Asians have a slightly different mindset TO SAY THE jAPANESE. they would not like to lose face if there is a problem . But SEA'S TEND TO NOT WANT TO LOSE FACE FIXING A PROBLEM.

i SEE THAT EVERY DAY AT WORK. :D

I observe that there is information being posted here by persons new to the forum that presumes great knowledge of overall pictures and averages.

Stating things about 'most' people or 'usually' and or what's going on at the factory and so on presumes a close knowledge of full facts, not personal experience alone or few examples gleaned from the I'net.

Sure, we are talking about Tiger motorbikes and our experiences with them. At least the people who currently own Tigers do it. Noone of us is working at Tiger and of course there is a lot of hear/say. But this is the only information we have. Additionally we have our own experiences to proof the hear/say.

You have sold your Boxer because you could not deal with the situation. But you want other people to keep patience and continue giving their bike to repairs which may or may not fix the problem. Some repairs even make it more worse. I have heard/read/experienced this many times now. And it doesn't wonder, if you look at the quality of the parts the Boxer is build with.

Don't mean to suggest that there are not 'best strategies' for dealing with a small Thai manufacturer, great frustration with any delays relating to a new purchase, nor to deny anyone's personal experience - which in some instances might have been angry-making indeed.

But if this thread is to be helpful, we should be precise in naming what worked best for us and our situation. For example, I had a new bike which required factory work and Tiger came and picked it up at their expense and shipped it back at their expense. Pariya + Patience = Progress. Entire satisfaction came after working with a mechanic and private shops, no big deal and it included improvements of a personal preference nature.

Ultimately I had to employ patience and depend upon Pariya. As a new bike owner, I became frustrated and angry, as if this were not a (relatively) small company in Thailand. Wanted things my way and now. Had I paid much more - double at the time - I might well have avoided frustration. In "Finding Nemo," Dora keeps saying, "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming." Seems sort of mindless, but it works.

I'm obvious new to this forum and post recently a few posts regarding Tiger motorcycles. But I personally have little experience dealing with Tiger motorcycles. Most information regarding Tiger motorcycle I get from this and a few other forums, it's remarkable what you can learn about a motorcycle brand from reading back some forum history.

Even with a quick look at the forum you can see several recent forum topics regarding Tiger motorcycle's quality and customer service.

I'm obvious new to this forum and post recently a few posts regarding Tiger motorcycles. But I personally have little experience dealing with Tiger motorcycles. Most information regarding Tiger motorcycle I get from this and a few other forums, it's remarkable what you can learn about a motorcycle brand from reading back some forum history.

Even with a quick look at the forum you can see several recent forum topics regarding Tiger motorcycle's quality and customer service.

Aye, but it's important for you to realize, being new to the forum and all, that a lot of the threads and posts that speak poorly of the Tiger brand were made by someone who has a commercial interest in Tiger's main rivals... Always a good idea to take everything you read on a public forum with a degree of skepticism and realize that there are two sides to most stories and that some posters may have ulterior motives for their contributions...

I for one generally believe that you get what you pay for (overpriced imports aren't part of that equation). With that in mind I never expected much from my cheap as chips Tiger Retro with Sidecar, but I've had it over a year now and yes, it's had some mechanical issues, but Tiger's warranty service has been beyond reproach and they have always sorted out any problems I've reported in a timely and professional manner, so I'm a happy customer.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you can't expect a Thai built 89k Baht Tiger X-Road to "measure up" to a Thai built Kawasaki D-Tracker 250 that sells for 152.5K Baht. Expecting D-Tracker quality for 89K Baht is asking for the impossible IMO, BUT spending 89k to get an X-Road gives you a cheap good looking bike to start with. IF I were going to buy one I'd take it straight home, tear it apart and re-build it myself to make sure it's put together properly before I ride it. But hey, that's just me, and I like to tinker with bikes. For someone who just wants to buy a bike and ride it straight off with no worries or headaches I honestly think the D-Tracker would be a better choice, even if it is 63k Baht more expensive (or 63k Baht less cheap) depending on how you look at these things. :)

Happy Trails!

Tony

Aye, but it's important for you to realize, being new to the forum and all, that a lot of the threads and posts that speak poorly of the Tiger brand were made by someone who has a commercial interest in Tiger's main rivals... Always a good idea to take everything you read on a public forum with a degree of skepticism and realize that there are two sides to most stories and that some posters may have ulterior motives for their contributions...

I for one generally believe that you get what you pay for (overpriced imports aren't part of that equation). With that in mind I never expected much from my cheap as chips Tiger Retro with Sidecar, but I've had it over a year now and yes, it's had some mechanical issues, but Tiger's warranty service has been beyond reproach and they have always sorted out any problems I've reported in a timely and professional manner, so I'm a happy customer.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you can't expect a Thai built 89k Baht Tiger X-Road to "measure up" to a Thai built Kawasaki D-Tracker 250 that sells for 152.5K Baht. Expecting D-Tracker quality for 89K Baht is asking for the impossible IMO, BUT spending 89k to get an X-Road gives you a cheap good looking bike to start with. IF I were going to buy one I'd take it straight home, tear it apart and re-build it myself to make sure it's put together properly before I ride it. But hey, that's just me, and I like to tinker with bikes. For someone who just wants to buy a bike and ride it straight off with no worries or headaches I honestly think the D-Tracker would be a better choice, even if it is 63k Baht more expensive (or 63k Baht less cheap) depending on how you look at these things. :)

Happy Trails!

Tony

Tiger has a rival in the Thai market? Who is that?

Happy Trails!

Tony

Tiger has a rival in the Thai market? Who is that?

There are a number of Chinese manufacturers with models that are similar to some of Tiger's offerings. Ryuka, Lifan, Platinum (Thai or Chinese I can't remember?), Stallion, etc.

Happy Trails!

Tony

agreed

two similar bikes Tiger Xroad and Kawasaki dtracker. Very different in price. Both Thai made, both 250cc. If you pay less than 2/3 and expect same quality and warranty handling and service net, you need to think again

Hello Another update . Mailed the Bike back to Tiger Factory yesterday . which they said they would remburse I wish this had happened the first time around and then would not of had to wait for parts to be sent out 2 different times. I am looking at another 3 week to a month of being bike-less .For those of you that don't know this is my second Boxer 250 RS and I knew of some of the problems with the first one . Om my first bike they came to the house to do a few repairs . They were great and I was a happy camper . My second bike has had a few more problems and had corrected most of these myself at my expense . At 1800 kms the front caliper fell off and had it repaired at the first bike repair shop I came accross .

I guess I am a bit pissy after waiting over 3 weeks and then going for a 50 km ride resulting in oilsoaked leg and shoe . I guess i could have rapped it in saran wrap to keep it dry . Well I guess i will see you back on the road in the next 3 or 4 weeks if everything goes well.

I've had my Tiger Boxer for 7 months now, initially had a few problems, Tiger's service was fantastic and the repair centre (Rungrueng, Chiang Mai, not Suphanit) were always extremely helpful.

I've not had to take the bike in for repair for the last 4 months and it feels fantastic. A lot of fun to ride and I'm now confident in the reliability of the bike. I really don't see how anybody can complain about the service from Tiger. If you don't think a service centre is giving outstanding service, call Khun Pariya and he'll make sure they do.

I don't think I'm the only one to notice a spike in members with low post counts complaining about Tiger motorbikes since Richard-BKK's obscure thread last week.

I've had my Tiger Boxer for 7 months now, initially had a few problems, Tiger's service was fantastic and the repair centre (Rungrueng, Chiang Mai, not Suphanit) were always extremely helpful.

I've not had to take the bike in for repair for the last 4 months and it feels fantastic. A lot of fun to ride and I'm now confident in the reliability of the bike. I really don't see how anybody can complain about the service from Tiger. If you don't think a service centre is giving outstanding service, call Khun Pariya and he'll make sure they do.

I don't think I'm the only one to notice a spike in members with low post counts complaining about Tiger motorbikes since Richard-BKK's obscure thread last week.

Nothing obscure about my thread from last week. I'm currently not in Thailand, and, while I have some ideas, I have currently not enough time to tell them...

Isn't it a bit to early to talk about reliability after just 7 months owning a Boxer and after just 4 months without repairs? Please do not forget to come back again in two years and make another report :)

I do understand people who are complaining about repairs which have made things more worse. But we will see what will happen with the bike of the OP. I wish him the best and hope that he gets his bike back soon.

Nothing obscure about my thread from last week. I'm currently not in Thailand, and, while I have some ideas, I have currently not enough time to tell them...

It's so obscure that it's been deleted Richard... How can you get more obscure than a deleted thread?! You know you can't tell us your "ideas" on this forum because you're already in hot water for libel and slander. :whistling:

So your knowledge of Tiger Motorcycles is based on what you have read on this and other forums?

And although you have never had a Tiger bike and don't know anyone who has the majority of your posts just happen to be about Tiger motorcycles?

And your knowledge of motorbikes in Thailand is such that you were unaware that their owners often took them to be blessed by monks?

Bye-bye .....

Hi

Again " the service is good" why do you need that??? when buying a bike no matter what price you should ride it and dont think about if its faling apart,, i have had 6 bikes (dont count HD's) and right now have a DRZ from 2006 none of the bikes have needed to be in a work shop,, only for service,,, i still say, you get what your pay for, but hey thats fine if you have time for having the bike fixed, when you could enjoy a ride :)

Hello Another update . Mailed the Bike back to Tiger Factory yesterday . which they said they would remburse I wish this had happened the first time around and then would not of had to wait for parts to be sent out 2 different times. I am looking at another 3 week to a month of being bike-less .For those of you that don't know this is my second Boxer 250 RS and I knew of some of the problems with the first one . Om my first bike they came to the house to do a few repairs . They were great and I was a happy camper . My second bike has had a few more problems and had corrected most of these myself at my expense . At 1800 kms the front caliper fell off and had it repaired at the first bike repair shop I came accross .

I guess I am a bit pissy after waiting over 3 weeks and then going for a 50 km ride resulting in oilsoaked leg and shoe . I guess i could have rapped it in saran wrap to keep it dry . Well I guess i will see you back on the road in the next 3 or 4 weeks if everything goes well.

I glad you are here to tell the tale if the front caliper FELL OFF? Holy cow man why do you want to keep a bike where this happened? This is not actable in my book.

My Tiger Retro/w side car is the worst bike I ever had, we hardly use it anymore. I given up using the warranty but use a small shop near to our house as I don't want to ride/drive on Sukhumvit road on it(pattaya), and the trips for repairs have been qiute a few (electrical problems).

The rig have now covered app 1100 km in about 1.5 years but sounds like a tired Wave with +100k on the clock.

If Tiger gave me a bike for free, I would say thanks but no thanks.

So your knowledge of Tiger Motorcycles is based on what you have read on this and other forums?

And although you have never had a Tiger bike and don't know anyone who has the majority of your posts just happen to be about Tiger motorcycles?

And your knowledge of motorbikes in Thailand is such that you were unaware that their owners often took them to be blessed by monks?

Bye-bye .....

Please not start inventing words I never said... I said before that I was looking to buy a motorcycle, first I was very interested in a X-Road and after reading a few topics regarding Tiger I started thinking about a Tiger Boxer 250 RS.

My brother in law, is a police officer and has a Tiger Boxer 200cc motorcycle, and, while we cannot count him as a Tiger supporter, I did ride the bike a few times around his neighborhood.

Tiger Motor yesterday informed me that the Tiger Boxer 250 RS is out of production (not sure if the lady I spoke to meant forever or just for now). Tiger hopes to have the X-road 250 available at the end of the month, the lady I spoke with was clearly not sure about things.

Calling for the famous Mr. Pariya ended at the telephone operator girl telling me 'no no I connect you', I was also not sure what she told me as she disconnected the line, which was likely an honest mistake. Second call I did not get Mr. Pariya but was transferred to a female who was very capable communicating in English.

On another forum I read that Mr. Pariya is probably not in the office for the next 4 months, as he had a serious accident playing soccer.

Today my brother in law will bring me to Kawasaki.

For Tiger I cannot say that something is wrong, but when you go buy something and things not 100% feel right you best do a few steps back to reconsider.

What looks not 100% right?

In the last few weeks we hear more about Tiger motorcycle problems than in the last year. Tiger online shop discontinues operation. Mr. Pariya, who most foreigners are told to contact, is out of reach with a soccer accident in which he broke a bone in his feet. Production of motorcycles is stopped and nobody seems to be able to tell when it starts.

Maybe other people will say who cares and buy a motorcycle anyway, but I have a funny feeling and maybe it's nothing – it's enough for me to reconsider other motorcycle brands.

Bye-bye .....

Please not start inventing words I never said... I said before that I was looking to buy a motorcycle, first I was very interested in a X-Road and after reading a few topics regarding Tiger I started thinking about a Tiger Boxer 250 RS.

My brother in law, is a police officer and has a Tiger Boxer 200cc motorcycle, and, while we cannot count him as a Tiger supporter, I did ride the bike a few times around his neighborhood.

Tiger Motor yesterday informed me that the Tiger Boxer 250 RS is out of production (not sure if the lady I spoke to meant forever or just for now). Tiger hopes to have the X-road 250 available at the end of the month, the lady I spoke with was clearly not sure about things.

Calling for the famous Mr. Pariya ended at the telephone operator girl telling me 'no no I connect you', I was also not sure what she told me as she disconnected the line, which was likely an honest mistake. Second call I did not get Mr. Pariya but was transferred to a female who was very capable communicating in English.

On another forum I read that Mr. Pariya is probably not in the office for the next 4 months, as he had a serious accident playing soccer.

For Tiger I cannot say that something is wrong, but when you go buy something and things not 100% feel right you best do a few steps back to reconsider.

In the last few weeks we hear more about Tiger motorcycle problems than in the last year. Tiger online shop discontinues operation. Mr. Pariya, who most foreigners are told to contact, is out of reach with a soccer accident in which he broke a bone in his feet. Production of motorcycles is stopped and nobody seems to be able to tell when it starts.

Maybe other people will say who cares and buy a motorcycle anyway, but I have a funny feeling and maybe it's nothing – it's enough for me to reconsider other motorcycle brands.

Funny you say you joined this forum because you are interested in purchasing a Tiger motorcycle but you haven't joined the Tiger forum that is specifically focused on that brand.

Once again you're making wild assumptions based on nothing.

If you took a moment to review the other forum that is dedicated to the Tiger brand you would know that Tiger is adding fuel injection to the Boxer 250RS which is why the bike is presently not available.

Who told you Khun Pariya broke a bone in his foot? Where did you hear this? I only know what I read on the Tiger forum. I don't actually know the details of his injury, only that he has required major surgery. A broken bone in the foot will not require major surgery or keep one away from work for a long period of time.

The Tiger online shop was not owned or operated by Tiger Motor Co. Ltd, but rather by a member of this forum (who is NOT the son of a Tiger executive!). He ran the shop as a hobby and the rumors that it paid for his beautiful house are simply ridiculous. Again, this is covered in great detail on his Tiger forum- simply put the owner has decided that he needs to focus on his main business and no longer has time to run the online shop.

Certainly if Tiger can't supply you with the bike you want you should look at other brands, but your continued bashing of the brand, the bikes and the employees really smells fishy Richard, erm I mean Roy... :rolleyes:

Bye-bye .....

Funny you say you joined this forum because you are interested in purchasing a Tiger motorcycle but you haven't joined the Tiger forum that is specifically focused on that brand.

Once again you're making wild assumptions based on nothing.

If you took a moment to review the other forum that is dedicated to the Tiger brand you would know that Tiger is adding fuel injection to the Boxer 250RS which is why the bike is presently not available.

Who told you Khun Pariya broke a bone in his foot? Where did you hear this? I only know what I read on the Tiger forum. I don't actually know the details of his injury, only that he has required major surgery. A broken bone in the foot will not require major surgery or keep one away from work for a long period of time.

The Tiger online shop was not owned or operated by Tiger Motor Co. Ltd, but rather by a member of this forum (who is NOT the son of a Tiger executive!). He ran the shop as a hobby and the rumors that it paid for his beautiful house are simply ridiculous. Again, this is covered in great detail on his Tiger forum- simply put the owner has decided that he needs to focus on his main business and no longer has time to run the online shop.

Certainly if Tiger can't supply you with the bike you want you should look at other brands, but your continued bashing of the brand, the bikes and the employees really smells fishy Richard, erm I mean Roy... :rolleyes:

No more posts about Tiger from me sure. By the way it was his left foot - and yes it sounds funny somebody require major surgery or keep one away from work for a long period of time. So probably something more is going on, what you think?

Duindam, if you think about buying a Boxer 200/250, than you should consider the fact, that Tiger has built many different versions of this bike. There are many different parts, engines, brakes and so on. E.g. there are police Boxers which have a vibration damping, because their engine is mounted with dampers. On my Boxer there are no dampers and so i loose the feeling in my hands after just 10 kilometer when driving the Boxer.

Try to get the Boxer you want to buy for more then just a one hour testdrive. Also take the time to unmount the seat and the plastic covers and look carefully at everything you can reach. Take a pocket lamp with you to make sure you will see everything. And don't pay e.g. 50.000 - 60.000 Baht for a one year old Boxer with 5000km on the clock. You should be prepared to loose a lot of time and also some more money (loan bike for the time of repairs; pay the shipping to send the bike to the factory; taxi drives; ...).

IMHO Tiger will not start the production of the EFI-Boxer. They have enough trouble with the Boxer 250RS. I think they are happy to stop production of the Boxer 200 and 250RS. Just my personal opinion, so we have to wait and see what will happen. The old Cagiva F4 (not the current Cagiva F4 model), on which the Boxer is based on, may have been a very good bike. But the bike Tiger is now screwing together as "Boxer 250RS" is not compareable to it.

Edited by wantan

I never suggested that the Tiger shop owner was related to TIGER Motor Co. Ltd. Second, and again, I never said anything about the house of the online Tiger shop owner. Apparently people on this forum invent things said so they can discredit other people.

And as Tiger expert you don't even know what is wrong with Mr. Pariya, what is the last time you contacted him? People, like me, who are actually wanted to buy a Tiger motorcycle call people send emails and visit showrooms and learn a few things more than they tell on a dedicated Tiger forum. One of the reasons the Tiger Sachs Club forum is so positive about Tiger motorcycles is that they deleted threats regarding problems they cannot solve

Edited by Duindam

No more posts about Tiger from me sure. ........

what you think?

I think you're about as reliable as your claim that that you will make "no more posts about Tiger"....

Apparently people on this forum invent things said so they can discredit other people.

Apparently you they do ....

To try to put some balance to the thread, as a Tiger owner rather than just a Tiger supporter or Tiger basher, I also own a Tiger Retro and sidecar.

I have posted at some length about the initial problems I had with it on the Tiger Club Forum (and none of my posts were deleted) which centred around poor quality control - poor electrical connections, poorly fitting brake cables/fittings and dangerously poorly assembled forks. I opted to fix all the problems myself as it was the easiest and simplest solution. Should they have been there in the first place? No, there is no excuse for shoddy workmanship, which is what this was. Has that spoilt my subsequent enjoyment of the bike? No, it is the most fun you can have legally on three wheels in Thailand, and it still represents excellent value for money.

I had a TVR a long time ago when I was living in England and there are a number of similarities - you buy it knowing that you are getting something unusual, that may or may not be well put together, but which will ultimately give you more enjoyment than you can get from anything else for the money if you are prepared to put up with some faults, and which is easy to work on. If you want something that you can just get in and drive/ride, then buy a Japanese clone; if you want fun, then go for something a bit different.

post-56035-0-25152500-1311862252_thumb.j

I've had my Retro w/ Sidecar for about a year and a half now and love it.

Yes, it had some "issues" at the beginning that in a perfect world would have been sorted prior to delivery, but every issue that came up was resolved promptly so I'm a happy customer.

As I've mentioned before, you get what you pay for- I wasn't expecting perfection for 55k Baht. But the fun factor of this little scooter is worth way more than the price paid.

I'm soon moving into a busy, congested part of Bangkok and I don't think it will make much sense trying to negotiate Bangkok traffic with a sidecar so it is with a fair bit of regret that I think I'll have to sell this rig.

Enjoyed it a lot and will miss it.

Happy Trails!

Tony

"One of the reasons the Tiger Sachs Club forum is so positive about Tiger motorcycles is that they deleted threats regarding problems they cannot solve"

<deleted>. The reason it's so positive is that Mbox would GO OUT OF HIS WAY to help the members with any problems. Prove what your saying or shut the hell up.

Enjoy your Kawasaki D-TRACKER 250. Who buys a 250 to go 3 km's each way through BKK traffic.

A knob head does. :rolleyes:

Yes, it had some "issues" at the beginning that in a perfect world would have been sorted prior to delivery, but every issue that came up was resolved promptly so I'm a happy customer.

As I've mentioned before, you get what you pay for- I wasn't expecting perfection for 55k Baht. But the fun factor of this little scooter is worth way more than the price paid.

I'm soon moving into a busy, congested part of Bangkok and I don't think it will make much sense trying to negotiate Bangkok traffic with a sidecar so it is with a fair bit of regret that I think I'll have to sell this rig.

Happy Trails!

Tony

LOL, you love your Tiger so much that you soon want to sell it. Seems like many Tiger fans act like this :lol:

I do not expect much either. You get what you pay for, i fully agree with this. But people should at least be sure to get a safe and running bike for the money. And this has to be assured before selling the bike, not after selling it.

Happy Trails!

Tony

LOL, you love your Tiger so much that you soon want to sell it. Seems like many Tiger fans act like this :lol:

I do not expect much either. You get what you pay for, i fully agree with this. But people should at least be sure to get a safe and running bike for the money. And this has to be assured before selling the bike, not after selling it.

Which part of moving to a CONGESTED PART OF BANGKOK did you not read

Happy Trails!

Tony

Good lord you are THICK. I love the retro with sidecar and so does everyone who sees it, but as I said earlier, I'm moving DOWNTOWN and it will be pretty useless trying to ride this thing in Bangkok traffic.

It's been PERFECT for running around out here in rural Minburi where I live now. I'll miss you Retro! :wub:

040910TigerRetro2Sm.jpg

She's listed in the ThaiVisa Classifieds for quick sale:

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/tiger-retro-with-sidecar-for-sale-low-mileage-good-condition-fun-scooter-115961.html

Happy Trails!

Tony