Condo Versus House

What you dont want to do is pay for property that someone else could have a claim on (spouse, live-in GF/BF, government, nominee etc. etc.).

Hard to live like that (if not gay)

Strange. I'm not gay yet I find it extremely simple.

Easy to rent

But potentially rather expensive, long term.

If I had rented all my life I would have a lot less money than I do now.

If I had rented all my life I would have a lot less money than I do now.

If I rented all life would be 1 million EURO richer

(House purchased with money inherited from parents given to ex-wife on divorce by judge)

Edited by OlafStapleton

In the same boat so maybe renting has much more appeal. By the way recently lost both parents who worked their whole lives to build a nest egg and in the end they are both still dead and it all doesnt matter to them, Makes me wonder who has the right idea. But renting means the money is paid out and the house is maintained, etc if I buy I have the insurance, the rates, the maintenance and in the end maybe nothing

If I rented all life would be 1 million EURO richer

(House purchased with money inherited from parents given to ex-wife on divorce by judge)

Which is precisely why I made my comment about other people having a claim.

Your problem is not that you owned a house, it is that you got married.

I not agree

In west wife get house and pension and children easy, no matter who house name in, judge give wife.

Wife not need smile, have sex, tell you handsome man, you always at her mercy.

Here judge not give wife anything, only you do that.

Be smart

Just rent, own property anywhere in world not smart, just foolish.

i also not agree. judge give wife house only if you stupid too much not protect yourself and live careless in wrong west country AND marry wrong wife.

:ph34r:

If you're going to buy then houses are better value than condos which are overpriced.

If you do consider buying a house don't buy it in her village, or anywhere near it. Too much family influence and potential problems should things go wrong.

Search the real estate and housing forum for information on usufruct, you can own the house while the missus owns the land.

Good luck.

How many April Fools days are there in this country?

The poster says he is on his third Thai wife and he wants to be smart for once and buy a house and put it in her name!

Another lamb to the slaughter. They never ever learn. Thais love them for it.Easy money.

Surely this is a hoax post?

Nah not a hoax is real and its forum's like this that keep us on the right path. There are many more details involved but had to make it look as bad as possible for the right response. Am definately eyes wide open. Secondly not my third Thai wife. My first. Have alot of knowledge on the Thais but very little on buying property there.

Am hoping some guys who have simillar history may be able to save me some pain.

Am just concerned as my wife is pushing for house and thats my first wake up call Ive had so just want some no BS responses. Thanks for yours it does keep me thinking

If true, I think you should take the mindset that you will rent as long as "we" are together. If things go sour, so be it. No need for you to pay for her housing any more. Let the lease expire or not renew it, which ever comes first. I am sure she is pressuring for a house. I mean, that is what the rich falang should do. Yeah well, maybe.

Well seeing as I have seemed to have helped you find a new profession Im expecting a finders fee of lets say 30% per signed contract of finance that has come your way since my post.

Seems fair.

Then in 12 months I will have enough money to buy your properties, your wife and may even keep her on as my house maid seeing as she will know her way around and where the mop and bucket are kept.

Thanks for this opportunity am very grateful

How many April Fools days are there in this country?

The poster says he is on his third Thai wife and he wants to be smart for once and buy a house and put it in her name!

Another lamb to the slaughter. They never ever learn. Thais love them for it.Easy money.

Surely this is a hoax post?

Nah not a hoax is real and its forum's like this that keep us on the right path. There are many more details involved but had to make it look as bad as possible for the right response. Am definately eyes wide open. Secondly not my third Thai wife. My first. Have alot of knowledge on the Thais but very little on buying property there.

Am hoping some guys who have simillar history may be able to save me some pain.

Am just concerned as my wife is pushing for house and thats my first wake up call Ive had so just want some no BS responses. Thanks for yours it does keep me thinking

If true, I think you should take the mindset that you will rent as long as "we" are together. If things go sour, so be it. No need for you to pay for her housing any more. Let the lease expire or not renew it, which ever comes first. I am sure she is pressuring for a house. I mean, that is what the rich falang should do. Yeah well, maybe.

That's good advice, my wife's Thai and we live together in the condo I bought. You've got to be thick skinned; constant pressure for buying a house. The kicker is when you look at how much house you could have bought for the price of the condo, so much more space, but then higher maintenance and more problems to boot. I really love owning somewhere I live, it's a grossly under-rated joy, pride of ownership, and so much better than living in 'someone elses' place, but then that's how my wife feels. To this board member 'kirkieb' I'd just say all this talk about 'what ifs' from other members is a little inflated, marriage has all it's ups and downs in Thailand like anywhere else, property in Thailand can take ages to sell so you'll have plenty of time to work something out, enjoy the ride!

In the same boat so maybe renting has much more appeal. By the way recently lost both parents who worked their whole lives to build a nest egg and in the end they are both still dead and it all doesnt matter to them, Makes me wonder who has the right idea. But renting means the money is paid out and the house is maintained, etc if I buy I have the insurance, the rates, the maintenance and in the end maybe nothing

Whereas if you rent you are guaranteed that in the end you definitely will have nothing.

Whereas if you rent you are guaranteed that in the end you definitely will have nothing.

Renting Vs buying,

25 years renting end up with nothing, but guaranteed somewhere live for 25 year

I end up with nothing is true, but by then dead so not care!

Most Thai marry white men last less than 5 year, buy in wife name not good bet.

Hope still alive in 5 year.

Edited by OlafStapleton

Renting Vs buying,

25 years renting end up with nothing, but guaranteed somewhere live for 25 year

I end up with nothing is true, but by then dead so not care!

Most Thai marry white men last less than 5 year, buy in wife name not good bet.

Hope still alive in 5 year.

Olaf is The Man....

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Edited by 12DrinkMore

What are you going to have in the end?

At least with renting before the End arrives I have flexibility, new neighbours, new women and a new environment. As and when I chose.

And, to be honest, I've done my bit for the next generation of humans, the rest of my time and assets is all about me......

...and how I want to spend it and them.

Don't get me wrong, I am "PAY AS YOU GO", no huge front or rear end costs. Made clear from the outset and no false declarations of, well, whatever you want to declare.

And after a decade of a stable relationship this strange idea of honesty instead of deception and dreams seems to hold up far better than most partnerships I know.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

Unless this is going to cost you less than 5% of your total assets I can only advise

1. Don't buy.post-4641-1156693976.gif

2. Don't buy.post-4641-1156693976.gif

3. Don't buy.post-4641-1156693976.gif

Rent a nice house, plead poverty or that "your funds are tied up for a while, longer than expected".

Never let a woman know the true state of your finances.whistling.gif Thai or otherwise, it gives them IDEAScheesy.gif sometimes BIG IDEAS.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

this is the best advice in this thread. Always keep in mind the Thai ladies can read farangs like a book :lol:

this is one that could be argued forever . . .

my situation - we leased a newly-built house, the owners are getting (gross) 4.2% return on their investment.

Right now I feel more secure with my 5.65% (less tax) in an overseas bank.

I've looked at condos but none I like in this area, and I want to stay here.

Prime consideration for me if I do buy one is how much rent it would bring in should I choose to travel and retain the property, and that's a big negative as returns are low when costs - insurance, maintenance etc are deducted.