Father of Norway attack suspect found out through news reports

News_Editor

Father of Norway attack suspect found out through news reports

2011-07-24 18:22:32 GMT+7 (ICT)

OSLO (BNO NEWS) -- The father of a Norwegian man who has been charged with carrying out two deadly attacks in Oslo and on Utoya island on Friday said he found out through news reports online.

32-year-old Anders Behring Breivik is accused of setting off a car bomb in the Government quarter in Oslo, killing seven people and injuring 30 others. He then allegedly went on a shooting spree on Utoya island, killing at least 85 others and injuring 67 more.

Breivik's father, who is retired and lives in France, said it was a shock to read about what had happened. "I read online newspapers, and suddenly I saw his name and photo on the web. It was a shock to find out," the father told the Verdens Gang (VG) tabloid newspaper.

The father, who was not identified in the report, told VG that Norwegian police have not contacted him, but said he did not see a reason why they should since they have not spoken since 1995.

"When he was young he was a normal boy, but he kept to himself. He was not interested in politics at that time," the father said. According to VG, Breivik had cut off all contact with his father when he was about 15 or 16 years old.

"This is a terrible shock to me, think of all these people who have been affected. I feel deep sorrow and dismay over what has happened and I have not gotten over the shock from the outrageous action by Anders, who I have not been in contact with since 1995," the father told VG. "For me it is totally incomprehensible that something like this could happen."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-07-24