A Couple Of Visa Questions.

Hi all,

This is my first post here but have been reading a while. while I am sure this has been previously covered but I can not seem to find the information.

I am a British passport holder, and will be 41 later this year.

I have a full time job and I work for 42 days followed by 42 days off.

I am moving to Thailand next month, where I will rent an apartment or house on a 12 month lease agreement, I have no intention of working whilst there I will just be spending my 42 days off work in Thailand. I have friends who have all said just do a visa run towards the end of my 30 day tourist visa, and get the extra 15 days which will cover the last 12 days before I go back to work.

My questions are: 1/ Can I do this indefinitely, i.e every time I have my 42 days off work? or is there a maximum amount of times this can be done?

2/ Is there any multiple entry visa I can get in my Passport issued in the UK to negate the need for a visa run?

When I head over next month it will only be for 3 weeks, then I need to go back to the UK to sort a few things out, returning approx 10 days later, which would give me time to get passport into one of the consulates back home. I will then return and have around 5 1/2 weeks before I am due to start working again. I have looked on the Thai consulate website for the one in Hull and can not see anything that a 41 year old in full time employment outside of Thailand can apply for.

Thanks and apologies if this has been covered several times in the past.

if your there only 42 days a tourist visa suits you fine. You could get a double entry at hull go to Thailand use the 1rst entry go to work and then use the 2nd entry. There are two dates on tourist visa the date the irst entry needs to be used and the use by date of the second entry usually 6 months. Then obtain another double entry for next series of entries. I wouldn't get the visa until a couple of weeks before leaving for Thailand

There will be the regular mods. on later and they may have a better solution.

Repeated double-entry tourist visas, as mentioned by moe666, officially fits your situation. With this visa you can make two trips to Thailand within six months and on each arrival you receive permission to stay for 60 days.

The requirements for the multiple-entry tourist visa have recently become stricter. With a bit of luck you might nevertheless be able to get it from an understanding honorary consul -- give Birmingham a call, for example -- with a confirmation of your on-work/off-work schedule from your employer and a copy of your rental contract for the condo in Thailand. This visa would allow you an unlimited number of trips to Thailand within 12 months, with a 90-day permission to stay on each arrival. The reason for your visits to Thailand would be "to visit friends".

Repeated double-entry tourist visas, as mentioned by moe666, officially fits your situation. With this visa you can make two trips to Thailand within six months and on each arrival you receive permission to stay for 60 days.

The requirements for the multiple-entry tourist visa have recently become stricter. With a bit of luck you might nevertheless be able to get it from an understanding honorary consul -- give Birmingham a call, for example -- with a confirmation of your on-work/off-work schedule from your employer and a copy of your rental contract for the condo in Thailand. This visa would allow you an unlimited number of trips to Thailand within 12 months, with a 90-day permission to stay on each arrival. The reason for your visits to Thailand would be "to visit friends".

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I have a requested a letter from work confirming the 42 on / off. Problem with the double - entry visa is I need to be in the UK to get it in my passport. Part of the reason for moving is to avoid going back to the UK at the end of my 42 day tours. I will try and get the multiple entry 12 month visa.

Has anyone had any dealings with the Glasgow consulate? At the moment that is where I live and would be easier to deal with them in September when I am back in the UK for 10 days or so. However if going to Birmingham or Hull is more likely to offer a positive outcome I'll just do that.

Thanks again for the help.

Your original plan to use 30 day visa exempt followed by a 15 day visa exempt should work fine. There is no limit on the number of such entries allowed and it will be obvious you are not using them to work in Thailand. A multi entry non immigrant O visa would be ideal but may not be issued, but worth a try with explanation of work schedule.

...However if going to Birmingham or Hull is more likely to offer a positive outcome I'll just do that...

You can apply form any UK consulate by mail and many actually prefer that you do so. Wishing you luck.

The requirements for the multiple-entry tourist visa have recently become stricter. ...This visa would allow you an unlimited number of trips to Thailand within 12 months, with a 90-day permission to stay on each arrival. The reason for your visits to Thailand would be "to visit friends".

Sounds like Maestro is talking about a Non Immigrant O visa....., not a tourist visa. Worth a try, but the "visiting friends" hook recently was squashed -- so too the "condo lease." But, who knows, maybe enough time has passed for their resurrection.... :rolleyes: Worth a try.

I have spoken to the consulate, the best I can get is a 6 month triple entry tourist visa. IF I was over 50, married to a Thai or had family in Thailand I could get a 12 month multiple entry. Getting married is a bit extreme haha. I will need to go back to the UK every 6 months for a couple of days to re-new it.

The lady I spoke to said they are tightening up on entry without a return ticket, or onward travel ticket. So I guess another option is book a cheap flight to KL for example and use that as onward travel, then either take the flight and get 30 days more or do a border run by road for the extra 15 days.

The requirements for the multiple-entry tourist visa have recently become stricter. ...This visa would allow you an unlimited number of trips to Thailand within 12 months, with a 90-day permission to stay on each arrival. The reason for your visits to Thailand would be "to visit friends".

Sounds like Maestro is talking about a Non Immigrant O visa....., not a tourist visa. Worth a try, but the "visiting friends" hook recently was squashed -- so too the "condo lease." But, who knows, maybe enough time has passed for their resurrection.... :rolleyes: Worth a try.

Yes, I am. Thank you for catching that typing error.

soon2bexpat, is it possible to get a triple-entry tourist visa from a Thai consulate by mail in the country where you will be working?

NOPE, I asked that at the moment I'm working in one of the former soviet countries and there is no consulate in the city i am working, and no easy way to send passport to their consulate.

My work schedule is basicly same as yours.

5 weeks on 5 weeks off= with travel days each way its about 37 days every other month in Thailand for me.. :D

for the past 3 years i have been entering Thailand with 30 days on arivial at airport stamp

and getting a 7 day visa extention in Phuket town for 1900 bht takes 5 minutes with all paperwork filled out and in order..has been working fine for me.

I just say Im tourist staying at a local hotel and never a problem at immigration

on the rare occasion i get more time off i just do a 1 day visa run to Burma from Phuket 1500bht get 15 days and im sorted...

no need for going to Thai consulates which is nice :jap: