Lenovo Laptop Screen Smashed.. Any Ideas How Much For A New One?

toffo9

The good news is it's repairable by replacing the screen.

The bad news is that on the average laptop the display is at least 50 to 75 percent of the original total cost.

Ergo, it will be expensive to repair it. Usually it's simply better to get a new one.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

The good news is it's repairable by replacing the screen.

The bad news is that on the average laptop the display is at least 50 to 75 percent of the original total cost.

Ergo, it will be expensive to repair it. Usually it's simply better to get a new one.

It can certainly be expensive, but it can also be cheap. And it depends on where you get them.

Normal retail sites for replacement screens can run from $100-$300 for just the replacement panel, not the top lid or related plastics.

If you're in Thailand and fairly resourceful do this: Disassemble the panel so you have the panel out by itself and you can see the connector, brand, model number, and all the other specs. Know the resolution. Then head down to Chinatown and wander around and see if you can find a replacement. Don't be afraid to bargain.. ;o)

There are tons of electronic parts places in Chinatown and I'm batting about .700 finding replacement parts. I take in lost, broken, and unwanted laptops and digital cameras which I then repair and find good homes for during my travels to the refugee and orphanage areas. Example prices: 14.1 inch LCD 1280x760 panel for an HP - 850 baht. Brand new HP part. 2.5" LCD for Fuji digital camera - 190 baht. Again, brand new Fuji part. These are typical prices. These parts often fit in multiple models and are quite common.

I've also found plastics (lids, cases, etc), keyboards, switches, dials, and more. 70-80% of the time I come home with the desired part.

If you do get a new one there are lots of videos on Youtube showing you how to replace a laptop screen

True.. Youtube is an excellent resource for assembly/disassembly.. and they'll sometimes tell you where they sourced the part. We live in good times where such information is so available.

I had a Lenovo T43p laptop that died. It went through two mainboards in five years. I took it to Tukcom and had several laptop repair shops look at it. Several shops told me that they had every part in the computer on the salvage shelf EXCEPT mainboards. One of those shops surely has a good second hand screen available for a reasonable price.