"under Consideration" For Extension Of Stay

I asked this in another thread, but my question might have been a bit off topic there so I ask it here again (sorry):

I arrived on a 3 month multiple entry non-em B visa. I am currently "under consideration" (30 days) for my first 1 year extension based on "investments in the Kingdom above 3M Baht" and reading some recent threads made me wonder whether I should expect same 30 day (or more) "under consideration" EVERY year I apply for/get a new 1 year extension?

In other words; should I even expect the "under consideration" to happen to me again when I go up to emmigration in 30 days again?

Further; should I expect a couple of "under consideration" 30 day extensions EVERY year I apply?

One would think that after the initial extension the foot work/paper work have been done and unless something changes (in my case; I sell my condo, in others case; divorce/lose job or whatever reason used for extension of non-em visa) there is no need for MORE "under consideration" periods?

Why all these "under consideration" periods? More money? Too busy?

Cheers!

My comments apply to Bangkok only.

In general, the only approvals - including of renewals - that are routinely provided on the spot, during the same application visit - are Class O retirement visas.

The routine process for all other renewals of extended entry permits is to give you an "under consideration" stamp - usually 40 days for Class-O spouse, and 30 days for most other classes of entry permit. The spouse permit is normally approved at the original 40 day mark - for the others, you normally have to get at least one more - often two more 30 day stamps.

I have no clue why they work things this way. It is indeed frustrating.

Processes may vary considerably at other locations in Thailand.

Cheers!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

I re-checked and can see that it is 40 days "under consideration" I got.

It is indeed annoying as it increases costs/hassle if want to travel as need to obtain re-entry permit on the current entry(being used for the application).

Also a hassle if one will be travelling on the "show up in person to hear the result" - day.

I thought it was only the FIRST time one had this kind of silly "consideration" stuff... live and learn....

Cheers!

Usually, I do get two 'consideration'-chops, 1 month each on staying non-imm B with WP. First application show my face 'in person', afterwards can send somebody. (BKK-imm)

Of course it's a hassle, get a new re-entry for 1 month, after immigration got to labor dept., extent WP for same period, and do this at least twice.

At least I will not have to involve the work permit + labor dept. too as my extension is based on investments.

Still it seems that nobody can answer WHY it works like that? Too big a work load? More money earned(re-entry permits)? Actually doing a CHECK on the job/wife/investments being there :o or what?

On a side note; If they KNOW it will take 2x30 days why not give 60 days right away?

Is the answer (as it is often) simply T I T?

Cheers!

The first year I applied for my one-year extension (spousal-based), I got it at the end of the 30-day period. This time around, I've gotten two 30-day extensions. When I politely suggested, as they stamped my second 30-day extension, that maybe we should call BKK and enquire about the status of the application, the immigration officer just waved the suggestion away, smiling, as if to say "Mai bpen rai." I've been somewhat worried, so it was good to hear that two 30-day extensions are the norm.

Why? I don't know, but I was tapped for some money the first time around (maybe that sped things up a bit). Since then, they've gotten to know me and my wife somewhat, and have not suggested something similar this time around -- and, maybe, my application is just working its way through the normal channels a little more glacially this time around... Of course, the normal expectation is that having been vetted by the process once, the second time would be easier and faster :o

• 2 weeks later...
At least I will not have to involve the work permit + labor dept. too as my extension is based on investments.

Still it seems that nobody can answer WHY it works like that? Too big a work load? More money earned(re-entry permits)? Actually doing a CHECK on the job/wife/investments being there :o or what?

On a side note; If they KNOW it will take 2x30 days why not give 60 days right away?

Is the answer (as it is often) simply T I T?

Cheers!

Any news yet firefan? Also if you want to leave the country with your extension can you get multiple entry, also where do i go to get extension, immigration in bangkok, where is it? Cheers

On an extension you can always obtain a re entry permit of single or multi type but remember it is only valid until the end of the current extension of stay. The extension of stay allows no travel itself.

You apply at an immigration office. In Bangkok that would be Suan Phlu (off South Sathorn Road) for most people (there is an office on Ratchada for BOI sponsored people).