Muay Thai

bangkokrick

Just watching the National Geographic channel and there was a documentary on Muay Thai fighting in Bangkok. The stars were two 5 year old girls 3 feet in height <deleted>, Their parents and the baying crowd were betting on them. Absolutely barbaric and sickening to watch. Apparently there is no law against this in Thailand so long as it is not in the large arena's and is with their parents consent.

The mind boggles.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to watch the kids box between strip shows in Patpong late nights. Don't know if they still do it. Just another aspect of Thai culture. That's why I came here. Thai culture and of course the food.

Used to watch the kids box between strip shows in Patpong late nights. Don't know if they still do it. Just another aspect of Thai culture. That's why I came here. Thai culture and of course the food.

You came here to watch children fighting for money? I sincerely hope that they don't still do it.

You came here to watch children fighting for money? I sincerely hope that they don't still do it.

I came to watch the lady boxers. I like sweaty Thai women. I was kind of surprised that the opening bouts were kids since it was after midnight. It was only 5 years ago. At the pink something or other in Patpong. I dated one of the older lady boxers for a while. It was nice having a date/bodyguard all rolled into one. She was a Thai good girl although she did work in a bar but only to box. Our Western culture is getting to nannyfied. Who ever heard of wearing a helmet to ride a bicycle?

Let the kids box or play hockey toughens em up. Too many wimps around now.

I came to watch the lady boxers. I like sweaty Thai women. I was kind of surprised that the opening bouts were kids since it was after midnight. It was only 5 years ago. At the pink something or other in Patpong. I dated one of the older lady boxers for a while. It was nice having a date/bodyguard all rolled into one. She was a Thai good girl although she did work in a bar but only to box. Our Western culture is getting to nannyfied. Who ever heard of wearing a helmet to ride a bicycle?

So it would be fine if your kids (if you have any) would be getting kicked in the head at 3 to 5 years old and you would place bets on them?

So it would be fine if your kids (if you have any) would be getting kicked in the head at 3 to 5 years old and you would place bets on them?

Both of my daughters started martial arts training at a very early age and one went on to the Olympics. They kicked a lot of heads and got kicked a lot. I watched one girl break another girls leg when she was 12 or 13. I didn't bet on it. I'm not much into gambling. I never worried about them on dates though.

I think the biggest thing boxing teaches kids, girls especially is getting punched is not the end of the world. You don't have to fold up and cry. You hit back.

Edited by kerryk

Both of my daughters started martial arts training at a very early age and one went on to the Olympics. They kicked a lot of heads and got kicked a lot. I watched one girl break another girls leg when she was 12 or 13. I didn't bet on it. I'm not much into gambling. I never worried about them on dates though.

I bet the age was not 3 to 5 and I am not a gambling man either, but i also bet that they were not fighting for money in front of a large crowd.

I bet the age was not 3 to 5 and I am not a gambling man either, but i also bet that they were not fighting for money in front of a large crowd.

They started at 7. More exhibition than fighting, forms and breaking boards and things. Little bit of sparring. Big crowd though. By 14 or 15 they were capable fighters. Capable of being hurt or doing real harm to another person. Or as I looked at it defending themselves.

At 16 I wouldn't have messed with either one.

Edited by kerryk

Jr Golden Gloves starts full tournaments for boys before they are 9 or 10 years old. I have seen kids that are quite young training at Muay Thai camps here in Thailand.

9 or 10 slightly different to 3 to 5. The legal age for competitive boxing in Thailand is 15 years. It is a loophole to box kids an smaller stadiums.

Jr Golden Gloves starts full tournaments for boys before they are 9 or 10 years old. I have seen kids that are quite young training at Muay Thai camps here in Thailand.

9 or 10 slightly different to 3 to 5. The legal age for competitive boxing in Thailand is 15 years. It is a loophole to box kids an smaller stadiums.

Or at bars where they put a ring on the go go stage.

Would it have been ok if they'd been fighting for free in front of a large crowd?

Would it have been ok if they'd been fighting for free in front of a large crowd?

I did not say that so stop trying to manipulate. I don't agree with any kids at the age of 3 to 5 boxing. What makes it worse is that the parents and other adults openly encourage it, as do certain members on this board.

I did not say that so stop trying to manipulate. I don't agree with any kids at the age of 3 to 5 boxing. What makes it worse is that the parents and other adults openly encourage it, as do certain members on this board.

You are being culturally insensitive. Change your name to NiceWesternnannystaterick.

Maybe you should write a letter to a newspaper? :)

Thailand is what it is. The US has kids under 10 fighting.

Again I have seen young kids training at muay thai camps. I have seen younger than 15 (I am thinking your statement is wrong about ages -- I think you have to be 15 to "turn Pro") fighting at matches in Thailand. I haven't seen little kids fighting but ....

You are being culturally insensitive. Change your name to NiceWesternnannystaterick.

This has nothing to do with Thai culture. It is about Money and you know that. It always amazes me how supposedly educated Westerners from 1st world countries, who move to Thailand immediately go into retard mode. The West always talks about human right issues in Asia, but the Westerners condone this kind of child abuse. Double standards in my book.

I won't reply to you infantile remark about my screen name because that is not what this topic is about.

Your post is critical of Thailand for it. I'm pointing out to you it happens in other places too.

Have you taken one too many to the head or what?

Kiddie kickboxers in Australia too, fighting for prize money.

Well that makes it OK then?

We can't criticise Thailand can we. Of course it happens in different forms around the world, but the documentary highlighted kick boxing in Thailand. Just because it happens in other places does not make it right..