Power Saver . Trying To Sll Me

Hi

My wife has listened to her friends again hehe

they told her about some thing they put in the house to reduce the power consumption to no more than 2500 baht a month.\

what could ths be and has any other person heard of this before , she does tells me it is illegal to install and i think it is a fire hazard what ever they are trying to sell me.

please need info

can any electrican or electrical engineer hear of such a thing?

thx in advance

If its the piece of kit I think its is....then it dont work anyway, and yes it could be a fire hazard, and even if it did work, capping your electical costs to THB 2500/m irrespetive of what you use is stealing and therefore illegal.

Personaly I have never had a power bill that high for my family even having the Air conditioning on 24/7 and many hot showers a day as well as electric cooking for our family of 3. There are many ways to truly save. Insulating ceilings, Change to power saving lights, and high EER air conditioners and ceiling fans too. There are no Magic boxes. Power is simply how much you use and if you use it wisely. In time, as it has in the past, Power cost will go up. If your here for the long run in a home that is yours, it is good to invest in good power saving equipment that saves you money and makes your home more confortable

:jap:

yes, you can get it done in our town but it is a oneoff 2500 baht so they are ripping you off.

basically a guy comes out and puts you straight onto the electric current, not through meter. you then dont get a bill. as far as i am aware the government allows for power used for moo-ban meeting areas and other government business where they use electricity. an example would be our railway station which has no meter, they just use the power for free, it is covered by the government who of course owns the electric company here in thailand.

however if you are caught you would be in big trouble. a farang i know got it done and was electocuted twice when he took a shower. maybe a coincidence but i think no. ;)

Actually there are such devices. Google these words "home power saver device" and you should see a whole sheet load of links claiming to save you this or that on your electric bill. Most seem to claim 12 percent savings. Do they work -- I have no idea.

I agree with most of the posts above. The best power saving idea is to simply flip the switch to the OFF position when not in use or even unplug devices when you don't expect to use them for some time. Lots of appliances are still using a tiny amount of electricity when they are turned OFF. If you don't believe that, touch the back of your TV when it is off -- chances are it will be warm. That heat comes from wasted electricity.

Lots of appliances are still using a tiny amount of electricity when they are turned OFF. If you don't believe that, touch the back of your TV when it is off -- chances are it will be warm. That heat comes from wasted electricity.

A TV will be warm at the back after being turned off because of residual heat from the PSU and transistors; the latter of which can get really hot when running. While there may be a minuscule amount coming out of the power supply (something like 1 watt/hour) when in standby mode, this is not enough to generate heat to the touch. If your TV is still warm in the morning after being off all night, I'd advise replacing it.

Still good idea to knock everything off though. ;)

Perhaps they're talking about Tesla's magnetic power generator.

yes, you can get it done in our town but it is a oneoff 2500 baht so they are ripping you off.

basically a guy comes out and puts you straight onto the electric current, not through meter. you then dont get a bill. as far as i am aware the government allows for power used for moo-ban meeting areas and other government business where they use electricity. an example would be our railway station which has no meter, they just use the power for free, it is covered by the government who of course owns the electric company here in thailand.

however if you are caught you would be in big trouble. a farang i know got it done and was electocuted twice when he took a shower. maybe a coincidence but i think no. ;)

This gets my "intriguing post of the day" award.

OP you say "reduce the power consumption to no more than 2500 baht a month" Question is……what is your average bill? Just what have you got plugged in…..Are you a hotel? One thing that will help, Turn all appliances off/unplug when not in use, this electrical draw is called 'vampire electricity' and adds up in cost. How about telling the household if they are so concerned with saving you money, (bless them) Turn OFF what there not using!

One last thing, are you sure no one else is plugged into therich farang's, (that's you by the way) power supply?

OP you say "reduce the power consumption to no more than 2500 baht a month" Question is……what is your average bill? Just what have you got plugged in…..Are you a hotel? One thing that will help, Turn all appliances off/unplug when not in use, this electrical draw is called 'vampire electricity' and adds up in cost. How about telling the household if they are so concerned with saving you money, (bless them) Turn OFF what there not using!

One last thing, are you sure no one else is plugged into therich farang's, (that's you by the way) power supply?

on our mooban its who has the bigest bill,just walk around when its dark,all the lights on upstairs,downstairs,car port,gates,then in the morning when light all outside lights still on,air con still going,our neighbours bill 1900bht,only has small house,our bill 850bht,big house most we have paid 1200bht,and no we dont have a power saving device but we do have common sense.

There's a farang who operates a restaurant on Third Road in South Pattaya who says he's an electrical engineering and has invented a device which reduces monthly power bills overall by some sort of continuous reduction of the amount of current going though the meter to the various appliances.

He says that in most cases there is more electricity going into apliances than really needed, and his device reduces the power going in. Whether this is correct or not I have no idea.

He claims it's been patented in various countries in Europe (maybe this means patent granted by the EU, not sure), and he claims he regularly ships large quantities to Europe.

Also not convinced.

Edited by scorecard

a farang i know got it done and was electocuted twice when he took a shower...

Dictionary.com:

–verb (used with object), -cut·ed, -cut·ing.

1. to kill by electricity.

:o

Simon

Name must have been Lazarus.

Thanks for that. laugh.gif

clap2.gif

Lots of appliances are still using a tiny amount of electricity when they are turned OFF. If you don't believe that, touch the back of your TV when it is off -- chances are it will be warm. That heat comes from wasted electricity.

A TV will be warm at the back after being turned off because of residual heat from the PSU and transistors; the latter of which can get really hot when running. While there may be a minuscule amount coming out of the power supply (something like 1 watt/hour) when in standby mode, this is not enough to generate heat to the touch. If your TV is still warm in the morning after being off all night, I'd advise replacing it.

Still good idea to knock everything off though. ;)

Perhaps they're talking about Tesla's magnetic power generator.

I'd read that this 'vampire electricity' is responsible for 80% of your electric bills.

I have all electric stuff plugged into a power strip which gets knocked off when I go to bed, simple one switch off, easy to remember, even when drunk.

Also unplug 'phone, camera, gameboy chargers when not in use and have your AC serviced.

There is a device known by the general name of "power saver". it plugs into the socket outlet and the electrical appliance is plugged into the power saver device. It calculates to electricity consumption in watts and the current used, and will calculate consumption in kWh. You use this information to reduce your power bill. The device is rated at 230V 10 amps.

There is a device known by the general name of "power saver". it plugs into the socket outlet and the electrical appliance is plugged into the power saver device. It calculates to electricity consumption in watts and the current used, and will calculate consumption in kWh. You use this information to reduce your power bill. The device is rated at 230V 10 amps.

Yeah, brand name 'Kill-A-Watt', have you seen them on sale in Thailand?

I agree with the others, these plug in power savers achieve nothing.

Yeah, brand name 'Kill-A-Watt', have you seen them on sale in Thailand?

I agree with the others, these plug in power savers achieve nothing.

The version I mentioned caculates the power consumption of an individual appliance in kWh.

1. One uses it to calculate kWh, amps load up to 10amps.of a range of electrical equipment in the home. They cost about AUD40.

2. The other version is connected by an electrician to the switchboard and is a wireless device with a range of about 40meters and operates on 433MHz. It will monitor your power consumption with can be downloaded to a computer. With this information you can control your power useage.

Link here, there is a PDF file on them which can be downloaded.

http://www.climatesm...me.com/faq.html

It is this second type that is more interesting for some. They may not be available in Thailand yet.

Edited by electau

There was a thread n here about 2 years ago, I think it was TV anyway. About the magic boxes for sale on Bangkok Sukhumvite near Soi 7 to Soi 11 that are still sold there as of 2 months ago claiming a 20% reduction in your bill. There some evidence it worked a bit, but it also had some down side if I remember correctly. Limiting power to some appliances giving them a 'brown out'. The TV search function is less than pathetic, sorry I can not find it again today.

Someone posted turning off the air con and replace with a fan, I do not have facts of course, but I think.... dangerous me thinking wife says.. laugh.gif ... anyway, I turn on a fan at the same time as the air con. Fan on low and up the air con 2 -3 degrees C gives the same feel to me and the AC is working defiantly half of the time, the compressor I mean.

I would really like to buy a Kill A Watt device on planet Thailand.

Back on planet earth I had a device with a digital read out installed that was mounted next to the phone, it had nothing to do with the phone though, it was actually wireless so could be installed anywhere but it gave me the actual usage in real time. You could turn the kettle on and see the usage go up. You could program it with the cost of the power, and it actually read out how much each hour at that consumption and it logged in $ usage in 24hr blocks as well. This was installed by the power company under a Gov grant scheme.

It was an eye opener how expensive some things really are to run.

It was good or the kids to, we were using about $7.50 a day average. Told the kids, anything under $6.50 they can have as pocket money. (lolly money). Almost instantly after they experiment what used allot, our bill avg $5.80 for the next month and the installed meter was spot on compared to the company bill as well. This one device was the game changer in the kids use of TV, lights and aircon being switched off when they are finished.jap.gif

I wish I could get one on Planet Thailand...........