Bangkok Property Type

I thought I posted this already, but I can't seem to find it so I am reposting.

I have convinced my company to let me move to Bangkok early next year. I have a budget of 90,000 baht per month for housing for my family. I am looking at 3-4 bed property (preferably house) with a pool near the skytrain (walking distance).

When I posted this question previously I was told that I can find this for much less, that I was a cretin for having a housing allowance, that I was rich!???, that I was 'rubbing people's noses in it' and even a moron etc

As such may I ask is that normal behavior, am I really being out of line by asking a question about housing for an expat in Thailand on a forum that has expats living in Thailand posting on it? Bizarre.

Anyway, if anyone can help it would be appreciated as well as point me in the direction of somewhere I can see housing options. The websites written in English are all apparently asking double what they should be and Thai only sites can be trusted.

Thank, that's really helpful. No wonder I cant find it.

Now, would you care to elaborate on the actual content of my post if its not too much trouble?

OK ... since you didn't post previously nobody told you any of those things you suggest they did. I didn't understand some of the post.

You are 6 months+ off from moving and if your company is moving you they should use a professional company like SantaFe to help get you and the family in a house and settled in. http://www.santaferelo.com/why-santa-fe/testimonials/thailand/

Hi Axpat, Try Bangkok post they normal have condos & houses for rent/sale. You can find something quite descent for 90k bath a month. Also check real estate agents, most of them if not all have web sites, so try goggle around. Yes they might be more expensive than finding something yourself but since you company pay why care too much about it.

It is off-course best to come here and look around yourself, so maybe just rent something temporally for say a month and maybe your wife can check around if you are busy working.

Its a while ago since I lived in BKK so I can't help you much with specifics, sorry.

This forum is filled with grumpy old bastards that don't have better things to do than be sarcastic, they properly only do it out of boredom or lack of money or maybe both, so fuXk them :D

Bangkok "the Big Mango" is a very fascinating city in many ways, I sure you & your family will have a good time there.

Thank, that's really helpful. No wonder I cant find it.

Now, would you care to elaborate on the actual content of my post if its not too much trouble?

OK ... since you didn't post previously nobody told you any of those things you suggest they did. I didn't understand some of the post.

You are 6 months+ off from moving and if your company is moving you they should use a professional company like SantaFe to help get you and the family in a house and settled in.

Thanks, the comments were on another forum. The Lonely Planet thorntree. There are some regular posters who live in Thailand who post there so I thought it would be a good place to ask as well as here.

Thanks for the advice. What's your experience with Santa fe?

Hi guzzi

Thanks a lot. Have already encountered the bored, broke, grumpy types and yes, they can go <deleted> themselves!

I know Bangkok fairly well, but only from a tourist perspective so any advice from non grumpy expats is always welcome. Good to know I can get more or less what I am looking for. Being 6 months away is when you want to tie up negotiations with your company, not when you are two weeks away from leaving so its really helpful to know all this now.

Thanks again both of you.

Where is your kids' school ? Where are you going to work ?

You need to answer these two questions first as this will determine your location.

90,000 bahts is plenty of money for a nice 3-4beds appartment with facilities almost anywhere in Bangkok. However, the supply for houses with swimming pool within walking distance to BTS in prime areas is very limited.

Walking distance to BTS is nice to have but if your end point (i.e school or office) is nowhere near a BTS station, it does not help and you'd better choose the location based on the roads network/traffic patterns. Also, walking distance is 100m to 1km depending on who you are talking to (and whether you walk in May or in December !).

You would struggle to get 3-4 bedroom house with pool in the prime sukhumvit area. Expect around 140-250k for that. and even at 140k the choice is very limited for your requirements with a lot of nice in their day houses around sukhumvit 24 that the owners are still demanding top dollar for which are really now sub par and need renovated from top to bottom.

Other options is a condo with pool such as The Met in sathorn could get 3 bed with small pool there for around 110k. Or le rafflene sukhumvit 24/31/39 from around "starting" 130k+ for 3 bed in the older 24 building.

If your lucky with timing and desperate landlord you could pick up a 3 bed duplex with pool at le raffiene 31 for 135k. 39 you would be looking at 120k for 2 bed with pool and 3 bed duplex with pool rising to around 220k at the top end.

Edited by negreanu

Thanks everyone, although the properties you are mentioning are all outside of my budget! I'm not exactly rich you know!

Office is on Suk, walking distance from the skytrain. Looking at Bangkok Prep for schooling so anywhere on that strip would be ideal.

Looks like I will have to downgrade my expectations. According to the grumpy shack dwellers on the LP forum I could be getting a mansion! Its fair to say they dont know what the hell they are on about!

Thanks again oh knowledgeable ones.

BUT --- he could be out in the Rama9/Motorway area and close to City Link etc and get what he is looking for. City-link could make it all doable. The Thonburi side of the river might be an option as well.

The issue with cases like this include so many variables that working with a professional relocation company is probably best. (Access not only to work, the kid's schools, shopping, etc ---)

Will the company be providing a car/driver? etc etc etc etc ... so many variables.

He could just want something near the skytrain like he is asking for...

Thanks again everyone who provided some input.

If you really want a house, be near the BTS and still have a farang friendly neighbourhood, I recommend you have a look at the Ari / early Phahonyothin area. For this budget you can find a nice house with a big garden and maybe a swimming pool, with western restaurants, supermarkets...etc nearby.

I used to rent a detached 2 bed house with small garden in a quiet cul de sac just off Suk 39 for 35 K per month. They are there, just gotta look. If it was me I would pay an agent a reasonable fixed lump sum to draw up a short list of say 6 - 10 houses that met my spec. Then when next in town I would vist all the properties on the short list before making a decision.

He could just want something near the skytrain like he is asking for...

Thanks again everyone who provided some input.

I'm sorry ... you didn't quite prioritize ... yet another reason to see a professional. If you want the 3-4 BR house with a pool and yard ......... and close to lightrail (yes I know it isn't the skytrain but it is close ..... etc. Hope you find what you are looking for but considering the opening post and the above testy reply .... buh bye :)

Bye bye jd!!!

Thanks malcolm, I'll probably do that.

Also thanks for the Ari suggestion Vorranuch, I dont need a farang friendly neighborhood so to speak, just preferably near the skytrain so my wife can take the kids to school at Ploenchit and Thong Lor and I can get to my office on the days I dont work from home which is also on Suk road.

Thanks again everyone.