Swedish Expat Murdered At Luxury Villa In Phuket

webfact

Could be mistaken identity, I mean we all look the same us whiteys. Its only 10 grand to have some one done in with an old faded photo of the victim.

You know if you cant get a hit right then you should not be doing it.

He was only 25 --not old enough I would have though to be a dangerous gang leader,--probably chatted up some bar girl while her taxi driver boyfriend was watching.

22 year Ive been here and its getting real bad is this place, I mean at home if your in a gang you know its coming ,here you can get done in for looking like a person.

Phuket is getting ridiculous I prefer Pattaya,--its not as bad --yet.

Talking of Phuket,--I was there last week and I have never seen it that quite, I saw tumble weed blowing down soi Eric.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, what can I say. I always know that Thai are the beasts. This case just proved again it's good idea to left this country.

With that kind of slur against Thai people perhaps it is a god idea that you have left this country.

Hopefully someone will be held accountable, but we all know how the corridors of justice work.

The vast majority of Thai people are gentle and kind.

A tragic situation for the Swedish man, R.I.P. , but what were the reasons he was so grievously assaulted?

Thais are no more vicious than a gang of English high street thugs, or any other nationality for that matter. B)

The reason why I said you has been many times on Thaivisa already - assulting and muredering foreigners. An police just don't do any movement because they are Thai but we are nobody and nothing here.

Do you know statistic of insurance companies - the most number of foreigners asking for medical help exactly in Thailand. Guess why?

And.. Do you really think that Thai people will be gentl to you if they need something from you - you money or your property or you life?

Edited by Mamboking

There are many experts, believers and thinkers here so instead of trying to say something smart or poltical correct I just want to say it´s tragic to loose someone that young, whatever he done or whoever he got pissed, no-one deserves that kind of violence.

"Vila i frid, vad som än hände!"

Really Thai Visa - where are the mods?

How many racists comments go unpunished on these boards.

"These" people are psychopaths

This illustrates just how helpful Thai's are not in these situations.

I always know that Thai are the beasts.

do you clowns really think this does not happen in London and New York. Do you think greater numbers never pick on smaller numbers in these places.

If you dont like here LEAVE - simple. I know many Thai's and most are as nice if not nicer than many many wwesterners I have met. Both living here and abroad.

I really thought TV was beter than this. STOP racists comments. Please.

Graham.

Huh? You think the people that did this AREN'T psychopaths?

It's hard to steer clear of commenting on Thais because it is the Thais that are involved. Hardly being racist.

The term psychopath is overused. Its unlikely that a dozen 'true' psychopaths would live in one, small area.

We know nothing about the motives as yet, but as others have pointed out the circumstances tend to indicate a 'paid for' murder or 'warning' that went v wrong.

RIP.

how do you blame to Thai's for not helping? I'm guessing the fact it was a luxury villa in Phuket would indicate most of the guests observing the incident would be foreign, so how exactly can you pick fault with Thais?!

and what exactly, would you have Thai's do in that situation? It sounds like anyone that had tried to intervene would have met the same fate as the poor Swede. Would you die for a stranger?

why do so many people have a go at Thai people all the time?

next you'll be telling me that no-one in England ever gets stabbed, and no-one in the US ever gets shot...

Maybe because 12 Thai cowards tied this young man and slit his throat. Usually an overkill of Thai staff at these accommodations as well but don't act as the poor innocent Thais are being rained on. Happens all the time here. Just had my guests stay way clear of Phukette and gave them strong warnings about the hotel in Chiang Mai. Not a safe place!

How many people do get killed in the States or in Europe, while sitting here and writing two sentences? Guess crime is everywhere. Sorry, but that.:jap:

The only problem is that the police doesn't go after these guys viciously, as they should, most likely because they're connected to someone who rules over the police. Thailand should really solve that issue as it's well known and continually causing problems.

As for the tourism image, sure this is bad for the image, but consider that Thailand isn't all that dependent on foreign tourists - it's less than 10% of GDP. Just to put it in perspective for those who've never been outside the tourist areas and who think it's all tourists, all the time - it's not.

RIP you were too young to die.

PS: I live in a moo baan with security but you can bet that the 4 or 5 nice but underpaid guards are going to leave 12 gang members entering the complex well enough alone. Maybe they'll call the police but no way they're going to get themselves killed for their minimum wage job. And why should they?

A wealthy 25 year old Swede living in a luxury villa on Phuket Island. Where did his new found wealth come from? When it comes to rubbing out the opposition its the foreigners who go first.

Possibly he came from a comfortable / rich family - inheritance ? - we'll never know.

His wealth at a young age shouldn't suggest any illicit work on the deceased's part. That's how the BiB think as it provides justification for them to push the ignore button in their primitive brains and mitigates any work or investigation being done.

I fairly sure that a luxury villa in Phuket isn't actually that expensive if you were to compare similar properties owned by 25 year old swedes in Sweden - It's all relative.

Phuket/ Burmese fishermen are an evil bunch, the slitting of throats like fish is their way. Probably just sport to them, what organised killer would need 12 men that fled like rats that they are.

They do it because they can, its very unlikely they will be cought. Very sad,-- RIP I take it there was no security at this luxury villa, had he gone to the toilet just at that point?

You hear many stories like this and then one day one story just wont go away and hits the news media, this maybe the one.

Edited by Fishface

@Wallaby

My goodness you must really uneducated. Blaming a race for the actions of 12 men is about as good a dictionary defination of racism as there could be. (I can't spell thasuraus!)

Thais are not beasts or physopaths. Those 12 men may well be and infact look almost certainly to be, BUT THAI's ARE NOT.

@toenail - your comments are based on meeting how many of the 60million thai's that live here?

G

No mention of a spouse, 25 years old, not from an English speaking country, lives in a luxury villa (where does the money come from?), drives a motorcycle, not a car (especially considering the weather)...

What kind of visa does such an expat have?

Why use a knife when you have guns? A knife is more personal.

Why tie his hands when you have twelve people to hold him down? Perhaps he was very strong, an athlete. Muay Thai?Three or four would have been enough for a warning; but twelve had to draw a lot of attention and apparently did. Why risk it?

A gang of that size was looking to encounter opposition. From whom? Police? Body guards? A rival gang? An armed victim? Security guards in a gated community?

Also they could not risk hanging around there long. Somebody was shadowing him and letting them know he was on his way.

Curious that one of them had to steal a motorbike. How did he get there in the first place?

Conclusion: a ritual knifing usually indicates a personal vendetta. But it was based on a recent event because this revenge was spontaneous. It was poorly planned and even more poorly executed.

One thing is certain. They will get caught. Twelve are just too many. Someone will spill.

how do you blame to Thai's for not helping? I'm guessing the fact it was a luxury villa in Phuket would indicate most of the guests observing the incident would be foreign, so how exactly can you pick fault with Thais?!

and what exactly, would you have Thai's do in that situation? It sounds like anyone that had tried to intervene would have met the same fate as the poor Swede. Would you die for a stranger?

why do so many people have a go at Thai people all the time?

next you'll be telling me that no-one in England ever gets stabbed, and no-one in the US ever gets shot...

Maybe because 12 Thai cowards tied this young man and slit his throat. Usually an overkill of Thai staff at these accommodations as well but don't act as the poor innocent Thais are being rained on. Happens all the time here. Just had my guests stay way clear of Phukette and gave them strong warnings about the hotel in Chiang Mai. Not a safe place!

How many people do get killed in the States or in Europe, while sitting here and writing two sentences? Guess crime is everywhere. Sorry, but that.:jap:

You make a very fair point.

But i'm fairly sure that if (hypothetically) a 25 year old black man had his hands bound and his throat slit by a gang of 12 white males in the US it would draw a hell of a lot more publicity and social soul searching than this poor chaps death has. And the police /FBI would be falling over themseleves to find the 12 and incarcerate them. Crime is everwhere, but how it is dealt with is sadly lacking in some parts.

A wealthy 25 year old Swede living in a luxury villa on Phuket Island. Where did his new found wealth come from? When it comes to rubbing out the opposition its the foreigners who go first.

Every one is claiming he was a wealthy young swede why he may have been renting the villa , the villa may have belonged to his family every body jumps on board thinking this guy has done something wrong dare I suggest it might have been wrong place wrong time and this poor chap ends up dead also there are as many bad farangs in Thailand who is to say that this young man could have upset a farang whi in turn pays a few thai's to frighten him which resulted in his death my only hope is that the police will get to the bottom of this dreadful crime RIP young man

This was no random attack. Sounds like gang/mafia stuff with so many attackers. they left his apple computer so a hit, not mugging. this person was wanted by someone. 25yrs old with a luxury villa, so wealthy for such a young person.we'll see what he was up to as the investigation unfolds (may be). has obvoiusly upset someone with connections.

RIP young man & dont piss people off again!

My first thought too, triad (chinese mafia) related attack.

If the neighbours are witnesses why does it say 'about' 12 men, unless different neighbours counted different amounts,

you would have to guess a warning was the motive as 12 men seems overkill for a theft or burglary, but then again also seems overkill for murder, so maybe it was a warning but he managed to cut the jugular rather than just leave a nasty scar and warning.

could be any reason. though i am suspicous why they think it was twelve men unles they found 12 pairs of differnt foot prints.

i do know that burglers go round in big groups and at times are very ruthless. i know 1 woman that was stabbed in her bed because there wa not enough money in the house.

Probablem with having a big wall to keep people out. once they are in noone can see.

maybe a neibour sore loads of people gathering about. imagine they had their faces covered. i doubt anybody would want to be a whitness.

there again it could be anything because they have not put any possible motove down. if they did they would say.#

maybe revenge orlove triangle or robbery. Basically means anything

R.I.P

such comments anymore.

YES! I totally agree!!!!!!

I can' t hear or read such racist comments anymore. Sure, this is tragic and sad and I hope that this guy may rest in peace...but it happens everywhere in the world in all our countries.

If you all do not like it here, it is as simple as Graeme64 says, LEAVE the country! I am living here for 8 years, have been living in Samui, in Phuket and elsewhere, I have many, many Thai friends and I have been treated always the same way I am treating the people and Thailand is my home now, I love the country, people, the culture and I do understand the way Thai are and live and I respect the Thai, their culture and their mentality.

Stop this racist bullshit!

"These" people are psychopaths

do you clowns really think this does not happen in London and New York. Do you think greater numbers never pick on smaller numbers in these places.

If you dont like here LEAVE - simple. I know many Thai's and most are as nice if not nicer than many many wwesterners I have met. Both living here and abroad.

Graham.

Edited by TinaKohChang

Until Thailand gets a Police force that takes all crime seriously and officers realizes that are there to actually investigate and follow crimes thro to prosecution nothing will ever change in this idiotic Country

This applies to Domestic and Non-National crimes

Expats with enough money and connections knows the deal here...pay and on the next flight please.

How on earth can it be reported here that a gang of 12 Thai men perpetrated this attack, while that publication-that-must-never-be-mentioned is reporting that Police are searching for 2 Swedish men in relation to this death?

One of these reports will turn out to be seriously flawed...

The other Phuket newspaper does not mention a gang of 12 Thais.

They report that police are looking for two Swedes, Tommy Viktor, 26, and Johan Hellbacken, 36.

They escaped the housing through a hole in the fencing and forced a Thai man to give them his motorbike.

They also name the deceased.

Edited by PoorSucker

“These” people are psychopaths

Graham.

No racist comments here. Thai is a nationality, not a race. If the terms Orientals or Caucasians was used, you might have a case. :o

After living here for 7 years (and being a typical Westerner where we are use to showing our anger or expect the same "rules" in a different culture/country) I have the "knowledge" one needs realize that the Thais may seem to be passive, smiling people, but you don't want to piss them off...then their anger can turn into rapid rage. This murder is another reminder to tread gently around them when upset about a business transaction or a simple confrontation.

I have lived over in Thailand for 6 years and have noticed a change in culture as a farang I am careful who I make friends with my Thai friends are all polite , honest and very helpful we do not live out of each others pockets infact non of them have ever asked me for a baht I show them the same respect as they show me however I am always very careful and walk away from any sort of confrontation be it in the street or in a bar I remember when I first arrived 6 years ago arguing with a taxi driver over the fare there was no violence but I knew he was not happy to me it was a lesson learned when you see a gun coming from the glove box you pay up and shut up even though you know you have been ripped off good style

name='adamokeefe' timestamp='1312253584' post='4597749']

Lets just say that usually in most cultures they dont attack in packs like mad dogs .

Lets hope its never your turn and you dont get to see people who dont give a shit stand around and watch you die

So thailand has the exclusivity in gang attacks does it? doesnt happen in any other country???

and yes, i hope its never my turn too! what a stupid thing to say. but thanks for not wishing me a brutal death, that's very nice of you. I think we could be friends, you say such nice things. Moron.

i'd hope people step in to help, but SERIOUSLY what would you expect a bell-boy or cleaning lady to do in that situation??? against a gang of 12 armed men? You think they get paid enough to risk their life?

'Lets just say' you're speaking nonsense.

AMBUSHED... they were in the Villa waitng for him, photos show that. The security guard job is to keep people out of the property, they should not have been there in the first place to be able to mug him, 12 Thai guys get it 12, just hanging around for no reason with no business being there apart from alleged revenge.

But, I'm sure after your extensive one year here in Thailand, you would know best, when the honeymoon is over let me know.

Oz

I'm just curious about how 12 guys, who obviously didn't belong there, could stand around a luxury villa and not draw the attention of someone smart enough to call the cops and report it. Ok, granted, maybe the cops wouldn't have done anything, which would not be surprising, or maybe, just maybe they would have sent someone to check it out. Just that much MIGHT have been enough to save this young man's life. But too many times the attitude of : "It doesn't involve me, so I'm not getting involved" prevails.

So said for the young man to die at such an early age.

Homocide stats from wikipedia:

USA - 5 murders per 100,000 people per year

Thailand - 5.9 murders per 100,000 people per year

Considering Thailand is a third-world country, with living costs to match, things really aren't as bad as they are portrayed - thaivisa reports every single farang murder (as it should).

Why do so many farang killings happen in Phuket and Pattaya? Because that is where a large percentage of Thailand's expats live. There is also more money in these areas, which inevitably leads to crime and corruption.

Phuket News - Russian stabbed to death in Phuket

The Phuket News - Tuesday, 2nd Aug 2011 12:00

PHUKET: Police are now hunting two Swedish men believed to be responsible for the brutal murder of a Russian expat last night.

[NAME DELETED], 25, died around 9pm last night after being stabbed in the throat outside his home in The Lantern property development in Koh Kaew.

Police have named 26-year-old Tommy Viktor as the prime suspect, along with another Swedish man whose name was not revealed.

They believe a failed business relationship may have motivated the murder, saying Viktor and [NAME DELETED] had previously worked together in an online business, but had recently had a falling out. They also speculated a love interest may have been involved.

The security guard at The Lantern told police that Mr [NAME DELETED] came stumbling towards the guard house, holding his throat and begging for help. He fell to the ground and died there.

Police originally speculated the murder may have been a robbery gone wrong, however, Mr [NAME DELETED]’ backpack containing a laptop, cash and other valuables, was found on his body.

A witness at the murder scene said he saw two men running away after Mr Schantz called for help.

Mr [NAME DELETED] had been living in Phuket for three years. Neighbours said that he moved into The Lantern about a month ago, bringing with him few possessions apart from his large Kawasaki Ninja motorbike.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/wp-post.php?id=26264

Apparently the deceased had two passports Swedish and Russian.

Born in Russia moved to Sweden when two years old.

Edited by PoorSucker

It's never random or by chance.

Usually it's:

1- related to money (the Swedish should have been less selfish, "any of your belongings belongs to me")

2- coming from a "relative" (boy friend or girl friend's protector)

3- one of the protagonist has something to do with drugs

In a normal life / environment it's unlikely you'll have problem with Thai people.

You are correct, I can confirm that it is never me ;)