Skiing On Samui

"nobody comes here to play golf",.... my understanding is that Santiburi has several tournaments each year... not sure how many people attend... perhaps not the 'world class league" but seems to attract golfers from some where...

I think Joe's point is for golf holiday tourism it would have an impact. Having two international standard golf courses would justify a golfing holiday trip.

yep. would still fall short of hua hin but everyone that's anyone has played those already and samui is an island after all.

Would that mean those on the beach would be pestered every 10 seconds with vendors on the beach, trying to sell you some thing? :realangry: My first Thailand beach experience was staying a Hau Hin, never to go back again! :w00t:

As for a second course perhaps they should look at joining the Bopout golf course and the one in Lamui, (which I have never figured out where that is) ... and everyone in between being in a "FOUR" zone....:cheesy:: ;)

I would also think it would attract an "exclusive elite type of traveller", that would not frequent the many bars and restaurants that are looking for business...?

At least at the moment, tourism seems to have picked up, I judge that by the number of Safari trucks I see full everyday, also the tour boat companies busy with all boats doing day trips to other Islands (Marine park, KT and KP) Staff not had a day off in weeks, because full everyday.

i can't go to chaweng beach without being pestered to buy something already. just par for the course really.

most of the restaurants and bars that are here already weren't exactly established to be long term ventures anyway. most of them were started with "hey let's open a restaurant/bar and see how long we can stay here". it's in everyone's best interest that those restaurants/bars/massage parlors etc are allowed to fail in order to build a foundation for better business in the future. i don't think it's much of a stretch to assume that people who would travel here specifically to play golf would frequent those restaurants and bars that have done their homework and established a reputation for providing good attitude and service along with the good food and drink.

as for your comment about tourism seeming to have picked up, all i can say is that it is august. if we can't draw people here in august or dec/jan then we may as well turn out the lights.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So the correct link for their web site is:

http://www.clubkohsamui.com/

And the site talks about:

...the Club Koh Samui Group is investing USD 400 million (THB 12 billion) into the island to develop the largest resort project ever built in Thailand.

The Club Koh Samui Resort

• A 250 key 5-Star Resort and Conference & Entertainment Center
  • A comprehensive, world-class Stadium and Sports Academy including football and tennis academies
  • The V Rezidences Collections - apartments and villas
  • The Club Koh Samui Cable-Car – a modern high-speed gondola that rises from Chaweng Noi to the CKS Project and continues to the summit of Samui’s second highest mountain.
  • The Club Koh Samui EXPO
  • A Theme Park, Water Park and Manmade lake
  • Ski Samui – one of the largest indoor ski slopes in the world.
  • A 5-Star Suites Complex
  • A 4-Star Hotel

• The Club Koh Samui Group is also looking into other high profile destination attractions such as a Luxury Marina and 18-hole Champion Golf Course

The groundbreaking photo looks like a bunch of locals getting ready for a Song Kran BBQ.... not the start of a $400 Million U.S. project.... But maybe I'm missing something....

post-53787-0-53195100-1313040774_thumb.j

This is all a big joke, right??? :lol:

...the Club Koh Samui Group is investing USD 400 million (THB 12 billion) into the island to develop the largest resort project ever built in Thailand.

• A comprehensive, world-class Stadium and Sports Academy including football and tennis academies
  • The Club Koh Samui Cable-Car – a modern high-speed gondola that rises from Chaweng Noi to the CKS Project and continues to the summit of Samui's second highest mountain.
  • A 4-Star Hotel

• The Club Koh Samui Group is also looking into other high profile destination attractions such as a Luxury Marina and 18-hole Champion Golf Course

The groundbreaking photo looks like a bunch of locals getting ready for a Song Kran BBQ.... not the start of a $400 Million U.S. project.... But maybe I'm missing something....

artist impression of the ski slope

drusssss.jpg

• The Club Koh Samui Cable-Car – a modern high-speed gondola that rises from Chaweng Noi to the CKS Project and continues to the summit of Samui's second highest mountain.
  • A 4-Star Hotel

drusssss.jpg

For so many reasons this would be the biggest white elephant in the history of white elephants. They can't be serious

• A 4-Star Hotel

drusssss.jpg

For so many reasons this would be the biggest white elephant in the history of white elephants. They can't be serious

they have 6 workers up there and a shovel.... of course they are serious !

Ahh...I missed the two gold colored ones, kind of, hiding behind the small pile of dirt... I was only looking at the blue colored ones in the foreground...

I suppose it's silly to ask questions such as:

--Who owns and/controls the land on which the project is proposed?

--From where is the financing going to come to pay for any of this stuff?

--Do the local government/land officials know anything about any of this and/or have somehow given it their blessing?

--And just out of curiosity, does the location of this proposal happen to overlap at all with the former "The Peak" project for which the land supposedly has been for sale.... and/or the supposedly restricted forest land and/or illegally issued titles land that led to the unraveling of the other past projects there?

I don't believe it has anything to do with " The Peak "

You lot are so negative - I would have thought that something like this would be welcomed ! Most post on the Samui forum are complaining about lack of tourists and the problems with infrastructure - Now we have somebody who is willing to invest a large amount - I think the same person--- from a bit of googling ! is involved in the Samui Marathon and Samui Rescue see http://www.events.intraflash.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=119&Itemid=166

Nobody can say whether this project will succeed - But do not look backwards at previous and failed project to judge this one --

I type from Samui Gazette " Its sustainable development plans include a massive solar power project , a unique waste management project that turns garbage into needed topsoil , an effective windgenerated electric system , multiple water management programs and diverse platforms to revive the Island's farms and agriculture .

Don't we need to be positive ! Samui could really become the come to destination in Thailand .....

Edited by churchill

You lot are so negative - I would have thought that something like this would be welcomed ! Most post on the Samui forum are complaining about lack of tourists and the problems with infrastructure - Now we have somebody who is willing to invest a large amount - I think the same person--- from a bit of googling ! is involved in the Samui Marathon and Samui Rescue see http://www.events.in...=119&Itemid=166

Nobody can say whether this project will succeed - But do not look backwards at previous and failed project to judge this one --

I type from Samui Gazette " Its sustainable development plans include a massive solar power project , a unique waste management project that turns garbage into needed topsoil , an effective windgenerated electric system , multiple water management programs and diverse platforms to revive the Island's farms and agriculture .

Don't we need to be positive ! Samui could really become the come to destination in Thailand .....

Most successful developments, happen. Don't need an incomplete Website & some cheap articles to get them going. This is why I have my doubts.

If you honestly see US 400 million available today for such an exercise, good luck to you.

Same events organisers tried to advertise one of their previous commercial functions on here for free.

So if I have my doubts you see why.

You lot are so negative - I would have thought that something like this would be welcomed ! Most post on the Samui forum are complaining about lack of tourists and the problems with infrastructure - Now we have somebody who is willing to invest a large amount - I think the same person--- from a bit of googling ! is involved in the Samui Marathon and Samui Rescue see http://www.events.in...=119&Itemid=166

Most successful developments, happen. Don't need an incomplete Website & some cheap articles to get them going. This is why I have my doubts.

If you honestly see US 400 million available today for such an exercise, good luck to you.

Same events organisers tried to advertise one of their previous commercial functions on here for free.

So if I have my doubts you see why.

if i want to ski i go to somewhere cold and if i want hot sunshine i came to thailand,though not to ski saying that we have a great time in November in the uk skiing but thailand its got to be a joke? then againcool runnings come to mind lol

A fair point Churchill, and yes, I would like to be more optimistic.

But this is why I am cynical.

OK, the maths, and the numbers and the dates are probably all wrong. But here goes.

DisneyLand Paris cost $4bn to build. Last year, with over 15m visitors spending over $60 each, it still lost $62m. Paris is kind of easy to get to for a few million people, certainly when compared to Samui. A couple of hours by train from London, just round the corner from Paris itself, all of Germany not too far away.

Samui is going to invest about 10% of that number. So let's say it needs 10% of the visitors, each spending the same $60. (Hopefully more, or it too will make a loss!) The total number of visitors to Thailand last year was nearly 16m. So for the project to work, it is going to need to attract up to 10% of the total visitors to this country. To a little island that costs THB 10,000 to fly to? To go skiing (amongst other things)? Where the electricity cuts out every third day? Where you would have to spend more on a taxi to get there than you would pay for a hotel room?

I just cannot see how it can work.

I would like to be wrong. But who has $400m to invest in this idea?

Edited by itishothere

A fair point Churchill, and yes, I would like to be more optimistic.

But this is why I am cynical.

OK, the maths, and the numbers and the dates are probably all wrong. But here goes.

DisneyLand Paris cost $4bn to build. Last year, with over 15m visitors spending over $60 each, it still lost $62m. Paris is kind of easy to get to for a few million people, certainly when compared to Samui. A couple of hours by train from London, just round the corner from Paris itself, all of Germany not too far away.

Samui is going to invest about 10% of that number. So let's say it needs 10% of the visitors, each spending the same $60. (Hopefully more, or it too will make a loss!) The total number of visitors to Thailand last year was nearly 16m. So for the project to work, it is going to need to attract up to 10% of the total visitors to this country. To a little island that costs THB 10,000 to fly to? To go skiing (amongst other things)? Where the electricity cuts out every third day? Where you would have to spend more on a taxi to get there than you would pay for a hotel room?

I just cannot see how it can work.

I would like to be wrong. But who has $400m to invest in this idea?

some very good points

also to note, the fund or funds who invested in this place would be looking for around 10-20% gains per year MIN ( 40-80 Million USD )

Also, to by solar panels for a normal house is around 300,000 THB, give or take ( they arnt cheap here ) so how many will they need to run this place, plus as mentioned above, power cuts, they will need back up generators, but how many ? , it will consume all the diesal on the island !

Now, if thy ran a photo opp with say the group of investors, a model of the place in a nice location ect, it would be more believable, or at least had a launch event ( like the old failed water park before )

to me the figures just do not add up to even make this profitable, and the above post confirms it

I would like to think this would happen here, but this aint no Dubai !

Mr Churchill - replace the word negative with the word realistic. (And Samui is one of the top 'come to' destinations of Thailand. We cannot get more flights here.)

Why would we welcome something that promises the earth (but reality tells us that it cannot be delivered).

There are a LOT of failed projects on the Samui skyline. Half finished condos, shop houses, villas, developments etc etc.

The world is in the worst financial crises for a LONG time (worse than 9/11). The baht is strong and almost everything except the Yen and the Swiss franc are weak.

Please tell me why someone would invest a large fortune on a ski slope on a tropical island? (I have no idea who you googled.)

How will this project help the infrastucture on the island (where its citizens cannot even get government water every day of the week).

On a personal note - I would rather look at green trees etc than another concrete monolith.

I would love to be wrong on this, but when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck - it is probably a duck. (You can probably replace the word duck with the word scam here.)

AND I would not want another Disneyworld here either.

• Like 1

The folks in the photo don't look like they have $400 million at their disposal...

$40 million might even be a stretch...

Now $40,000, that I could believe.... How far does that get one in Samui? :whistling:

Entrance Fee into the new russian Strip Club ' Galaxy '

5 x San Mig Light

3 x ' a dance '

Bar Fine

1 Night with an 18 Year Old Russian Beauty....

total - 40K :whistling:

The folks in the photo don't look like they have $400 million at their disposal...

$40 million might even be a stretch...

Now $40,000, that I could believe.... How far does that get one in Samui? :whistling:

Entrance Fee into the new russian Strip Club ' Galaxy '

5 x San Mig Light

3 x ' a dance '

Bar Fine

1 Night with an 18 Year Old Russian Beauty....

total - 40K :whistling:

I would believe they have Baht 40,000 (between each other) :lol:

Mr Churchill - replace the word negative with the word realistic. (And Samui is one of the top 'come to' destinations of Thailand. We cannot get more flights here.)

Why would we welcome something that promises the earth (but reality tells us that it cannot be delivered).

There are a LOT of failed projects on the Samui skyline. Half finished condos, shop houses, villas, developments etc etc.

The world is in the worst financial crises for a LONG time (worse than 9/11). The baht is strong and almost everything except the Yen and the Swiss franc are weak.

Please tell me why someone would invest a large fortune on a ski slope on a tropical island? (I have no idea who you googled.)

How will this project help the infrastucture on the island (where its citizens cannot even get government water every day of the week).

On a personal note - I would rather look at green trees etc than another concrete monolith.

I would love to be wrong on this, but when it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and sounds like a duck - it is probably a duck. (You can probably replace the word duck with the word scam here.)

AND I would not want another Disneyworld here either.

Well said, Tropicalevo, I agree and so do people I've mentioned this idea too...:o duh!

Surely too, most of the people who come here from the "great white north" snow or ice, is the last thing they are looking for when we have nice beaches and a tropical atmosphere... other islands such as the Marine Park, where people go by the thousands on day trips when they stay here.

Some thing like this may work near a much larger centre of population, where week end trippers could use year road, but lets face it, we have 3 or perhaps 4 months of "high tourist" season, I don't think an indoor ski slope here would change that.... one iota.

Watch out when the snow melts, we may have flooding and another concrete skeleton .... perhaps then we could have days tours of failed projects on the island :D

Watch out when the snow melts, we may have flooding and another concrete skeleton .... perhaps then we could have days tours of failed projects on the island :D

I do like the idea of the day tours of failed projects. (Can we fit them all in on one day?) :rolleyes:

I do like the idea of the day tours of failed projects. (Can we fit them all in on one day?) :rolleyes:

it is a good idea and if it were allowed to be colorfully descriptive (read:accurate) it would be a profitable venture i'm sure.

honestly i would love to see a project like this succeed. "be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid". having said that, please don't write me to tell me about a fantastic new investment opportunity...

Yes Ian...."yet"....rolleyes.gif

they still have implemented the Idea of a Round the Island Mono Rail system

SuperStock_1890-4398.jpg

or the longest bridge in Thailand from Samui to the mainland

longest-bridge-seven-mile-bridge.jpg

or the samui space program ... maybe Richard Branson will move his Space Station project from the USA to Lipa Noi ? , sounds nearly as daft as an indoor ski Centre :)

Yes Ian...."yet"....rolleyes.gif

they still have implemented the Idea of a Round the Island Mono Rail system

or the longest bridge in Thailand from Samui to the mainland

or the samui space program ... maybe Richard Branson will move his Space Station project from the USA to Lipa Noi ? , sounds nearly as daft as an indoor ski Centre :)

Nice one :cheesy: :cheesy: