Rabid Songtaws

Gik

Just to add a safety warning not really related to proper fares, strategies to avoid conflict while still not getting overcharged. Be sure to remove your hand RAPIDLY after paying the fare. I certainly do, but today I wasn't fast enough. After paying the fare, the driver sped off faster than my hand could get out and it was hit on the cab. I think a second slower and there could have been a real injury. It's not the first time obviously, so just a reminder to be careful of your appendages. The drivers certainly aren't. Seriously if they broke somebody's arm, what percentage do you reckon would even STOP? Of course it could be worse, if they grab your arm and hold you in, so again refer to my conflict avoidance tips earlier in the thread, and now add REMOVE ARM FAST!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sorry ... but don't understand why so many people think baht buses are complicated.

Step 1. Flag down bus

Step 2. Sit in back

Step 3. Ring bell when near destination

Step 4. Pay 10 baht (or whatever ?)

if want to use as private taxi.. negotiate price first.. if too expensive.. walk

Not hard really ???

Please, give us a break. There are many well documented situations where complications arise. I can name quite a few. JT could write a book about them. I suggest you read the thread instead of just complaining about it.... or just stay away.

Of course there will always be a small minority of people who will find complications in the most mundane of daily tasks….let it be using public transport, eating in a restaurant or whatever ! ... 99.9% people use baht buses without any hassles or complications :jap:

... 99.9% people use baht buses without any hassles or complications :jap:

That's hilarious. So you based that statistic on what objective study exactly?

In any case, the times any specific rider might experience hassles are based on (among other variables of course) --

1. Random chance

2. What specific routes the ride typically takes (some routes are much more predictable than others regarding things like being booted off well before where you expected to be taken, fare ambiguity, etc.)

3. Whether the rider tries to pay the actual fare instead of always caving to a "safer" higher fare by default

So you see for any specific person, the percentage of times a hassle may occur varies widely.

I discount the experiences of occasional riders and tourists. They could get lucky and never experience any hassles and conclude that these don't commonly happen, based on a way too limited statistical sample.

Another big factor is that some drivers come off as decent human beings but not a tiny percentage behave like psychopaths or drug addicts. It's not like the violence prone ones are like one percent. It's definitely up there. I would say under 50 percent, but beyond that, I am just guessing, as even 10 percent would be 10 percent too high. It is clear there is no screening of these characters.

Edited by Jingthing

Is it possible to make a poll in this forum ?

Of course it is possible but I am not going to do it. The reason is that I think the results would be even more meaningless than the normal poll here. There are way too many variables for such a poll including what routes they take, how often they ride, how many years do they ride, whether they generally overpay, etc. I think a general question, do you experience hassles with baht buses is completely useless.

Edited by Jingthing

Is it possible to make a poll in this forum ?

Of course it is possible but I am not going to do it. The reason is that I think the results would be even more meaningless than the normal poll here. There are way too many variables for such a poll including what routes they take, how often they ride, how many years do they ride, whether they generally overpay, etc. I think a general question, do you experience hassles with baht buses is completely useless.

why do you need to worry about breaking down into different routes etc. the question "do you experience problems from baht bus drivers" is perfectly meaningful despite not being able to drill down.

having said that, i don't think it will be an interesting poll, the answer will probably be low, but its just not a very interesting subject in my opinion.

sorry ... but don't understand why so many people think baht buses are complicated.

Step 1. Flag down bus

Step 2. Sit in back

Step 3. Ring bell when near destination

Step 4. Pay 10 baht (or whatever ?)

if want to use as private taxi.. negotiate price first.. if too expensive.. walk

Not hard really ???

Please, give us a break. There are many well documented situations where complications arise. I can name quite a few. JT could write a book about them. I suggest you read the thread instead of just complaining about it.... or just stay away.

Of course there will always be a small minority of people who will find complications in the most mundane of daily tasks….let it be using public transport, eating in a restaurant or whatever ! ... 99.9% people use baht buses without any hassles or complications :jap:

Please go away. Getting baht buses off the common standard routes requires a university degree...and then you'll still fail most of the time.

Edited by tropo

I have been reading about JTs fear of baht bus travel for over 2 years. Everything is based on fear of being chased, shot or bodily assaulted yet he keeps riding them. He then gives in to the ransom if pressed. Why do you want to "guide" people on how to ride baht buses safely and offer recommendations when your own fear is so evident? Please walk or buy a scooter so we can then read about the dangers of riding a scooter around Pattaya - Jomtien. Enoughs enough already.

I have been reading about JTs fear of baht bus travel for over 2 years.

. Enoughs enough already.

You've been reading his threads on baht buses for 2 years and you still continue? If they present such a problem for you, don't click and find more interesting threads to read like where to find vegemite etc?

Enough of you thread complainers already.

Edited by tropo

I have been reading about JTs fear of baht bus travel for over 2 years. Everything is based on fear of being chased, shot or bodily assaulted yet he keeps riding them. He then gives in to the ransom if pressed. Why do you want to "guide" people on how to ride baht buses safely and offer recommendations when your own fear is so evident? Please walk or buy a scooter so we can then read about the dangers of riding a scooter around Pattaya - Jomtien. Enoughs enough already.

A rational post on the subject,

well said.

;)

Edited by cobra

why do you need to worry about breaking down into different routes etc. the question "do you experience problems from baht bus drivers" is perfectly meaningful despite not being able to drill down.

having said that, i don't think it will be an interesting poll, the answer will probably be low, but its just not a very interesting subject in my opinion.

I am not worrying. I am not the only one who can do polls and I won't be doing the suggested poll but if someone else wants to, just do it or forget about it. However, if someone does it, don't be surprised to have the structure of your poll torn to bits as mine always are (wonder why I don't do them much anymore?); that's all part of the fun!

Edited by Jingthing

No point responding to blatant personal flame posts and/or people who clearly aren't interested in this topic (so why are they here?). See post 88.

Next ...

One of the big forum mysteries - Why do people who are not interested in a particular topic both read and reply to such topics?

Enough of the inflammatory and personal attacks

JT provides a useful, up to date and colorful service for anyone who wants to read his baht bus posts, if you don't want to read them just move on to the next topic.

You've been reading his threads on baht buses for 2 years and you still continue? If they present such a problem for you, don't click and find more interesting threads to read like where to find vegemite etc?

Vegemite 120gms for 195 baht at Villa supermarket Second road.biggrin.gif

Vegemite 120gms for 195 baht at Villa supermarket Second road.biggrin.gif

LOL! Thank you, but I'm trying to cut back.

Stop a bit after where you want to go. The more traffic the better.

Have exact change.

Quickly stick your hand in the window and drop the coin on his hand. Try not to actually TOUCH his hand as that makes it easier to grab your hand and hold you hostage.

If he starts screaming at that point, ignore him, and toss the coin on the seat instead.

NEVER MAKE EYE CONTACT!

Rapidly exit the scene of the payment walking against the traffic direction.

If you hear beeping or screaming ... walk faster.

BTW, if you behave this way, he will know you're a local and not a patsy and probably won't bother making a fuss, there is much easier fruit to harvest all over the place.

You're welcome.

Next...

Crap ! I don't own a byke so I use songtaews all the time, but never had such problems. The only discussion arises when I travel from View Talay 1 to Pattaya Klang , some drivers ask for 20 baht while others seem happy with 10. Considering that doing the same trip the opposite way would cost 20 baht but also considering that coming from Jomtien you don't get stucked into the Pattaya Tai traffic jam, I think 15 baht is a fair fare and always pay that amount now, some drivers are happy for a 5 baht tip, while others don't bother over a 5 baht discount.

No point responding to blatant personal flame posts and/or people who clearly aren't interested in this topic (so why are they here?). See post 88.

Next ...

One of the big forum mysteries - Why do people who are not interested in a particular topic both read and reply to such topics?

I guess we are quite bored ...:lol:

Crap ! I don't own a byke so I use songtaews all the time, but never had such problems. The only discussion arises when I travel from View Talay 1 to Pattaya Klang , some drivers ask for 20 baht while others seem happy with 10. Considering that doing the same trip the opposite way would cost 20 baht but also considering that coming from Jomtien you don't get stucked into the Pattaya Tai traffic jam, I think 15 baht is a fair fare and always pay that amount now, some drivers are happy for a 5 baht tip, while others don't bother over a 5 baht discount.

That's an interesting tactic. However as I have found that about 1 in 10 drivers balk at getting 10 baht for that trip and not once has even the one made a big deal about it except to beep a little, I don't see any rational reason to pay 15, 20, or 50. I don't have any problem with what you are doing though as it's your money (except the idea of "tipping" bus drivers seems absurd to me). Whatever works.

Also note occasionally drivers coming from Jomtien will turn right at Pattaya Tai or stop the bus and throw you out (usually with a where you go, convert to taxi or bugger off question) well before Pattaya Klang. In those cases of course, you must pay 10 baht.

Edited by Jingthing

I sugest keeping your hand as close to the window opening as possible. Make the driver reach out toward you so as to minimize the possibility of getting your arm broken.

and don't hand over the money using the hand that your wrist watch is on.

Interesting idea but then I would be passively waiting for the driver to grab the coin from my hand. I don't like that as I like to drop the coin in his hand without touching it. But I reckon any tactic has it's pros and cons.