Yingluck Govt Requests Japan Visa For Thaksin: Edano

webfact

YINGLUCK GOVERNMENT

Yingluck govt requests Japan's visa for Thaksin: Edano

By Xinhua

The Nation

Japan on Monday said it had issued a visa to former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, following a personal request made by Thailand's new government to grant him special entry to Japan, senior Japanese official said.

Japan issued a special visa for Thaksin Shinawatra, who has lived in exile since a 2006 military coup after it received a personal request from the new Thai government of Yingluck Shinawatra, who is Thaksin's younger sister.

"In light of the request from the Thai government and various related considerations, we have decided to issue a visa," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said.

Bangkok urged the approval of Thaksin's visa, saying that it would help improve bilateral ties between both nations and be of benefit to the victims of the March double disasters, Edano said.

"The Thai government takes a policy of not prohibiting former prime minister Thaksin from visiting any country and requested that Japan issue a visa," Edano told reporters Monday.

Edano said Thaksin hoped to visit Japan from August 22 to 28, to visit regions devastated by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

Thaksin has been residing in Dubai to dodge a jail term for corruption. According to Japanese law, people who have been found guilty of a crime carrying a jail sentence of more than one year are not allowed entry into the country, although on rare occasions exceptions have been made.

Thaksin's corruption conviction came with a 2-year prison sentence.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-16

related topic:

ANALYSIS: Japan Visa Request For Thaksin Came From Bangkok

They just told the Japanese that the Kasit bully style and diplomatic pressure is now over and they would not object or complain about when Japan grants a visa for whoever.

That is simply not the business of the Thai govt to tell Japan who they should "ban".

Edited by samurai

They just told the Japanese that the Kasit bully style and diplomatic pressure is now over and they would not object or complain about when Japan grants a visa for whoever.

That is simply not the business of the Thai govt to tell Japan who they should "ban".

That's not what the Japanese have said:

"The Thai government takes a policy of not prohibiting former prime minister Thaksin from visiting any country and requested that Japan issue a visa," Edano told reporters Monday.

That's not what the Japanese have said:

:rolleyes:

That is what The Nation says what the Japanese had said.

What the Nation writes and how the real world works are two different things.

You should have learned that by now.

So you must have a source somewhere for what he really said then?

edit: Maybe you'll believe Bloomberg's version of events.

Thaksin was granted a visa by Japan at the request of the Thai government, Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told reporters today.
Edited by whybother

Its called common sense and the opposite of delusional dreams.

Japan is not the lap dog of the new Thai government and would act immediately on every request they made. That is the Nation fiction.

To grant Thaksin now a visa is more like flipping the bird at Abhisit and Kasit by the Japanese than a mastermind work of the new govt.

The previous govt tend to make things complicated, raised "issues" and had their hissy fits with the international community, specially Kasit.

That is not the case with the new govt and for the benefit of all countries involved.

The dark days are over now, time to be happy. :)

Japan is not the lap dog of the new Thai government and would act immediately on every request they made. That is the Nation fiction.

To grant Thaksin now a visa is more like flipping the bird at Abhisit and Kasit by the Japanese than a mastermind work of the new govt.

The previous govt tend to make things complicated, raised "issues" and had their hissy fits with the international community, specially Kasit.

That is not the case with the new govt and for the benefit of all countries involved.

And Bloomberg fiction?

The Nation, Bangkok Post, it's all b.s.. Only propaganda spun to benefit whatever government is in power, or whatever popular opinion there is at the moment. It's amazing most people don't see that!!!!!

For sure, the new government is doing these things, so in November they will show how Japan and Germany, and whoever else they personally beg to let him in, 'respect' Thaksin, and he'll be at his daughters' wedding in December. I would put money on it, and he'll use his diplomatic passport to avoid his jail term.

Edited by REM

When the Dollar reaches 40 bahts per $ .. thats the time to be happy... who really cares which Government is in power, we know they are all so corrupt.. more bahts for our moneys and more girls and beer for our bahts.... pass me a carlsberg..!

Thailand cannot compel any government to accept its nationals. The granting of a visa is the perogative of the host nation.

... unless the traveller has a diplomatic passport. Let me guess: one is being flown to him right now.

Thailand cannot compel any government to accept its nationals. The granting of a visa is the perogative of the host nation.

... unless the traveller has a diplomatic passport. Let me guess: one is being flown to him right now.

I think you'll find the country still needs to accept the diplomatic credentials. It isnt as automatic as people think. However, in this case it is likely he is using a personal passport

When the Dollar reaches 40 bahts per $ .. thats the time to be happy... who really cares which Government is in power, we know they are all so corrupt.. more bahts for our moneys and more girls and beer for our bahts.... pass me a carlsberg..!

The most sensible post on TV for the day, we done, your priorites are correct.....;)

Maybe I should post in red so you you can read it.

According to Japanese law, people who have been found guilty of a crime carrying a jail sentence of more than one year are not allowed entry into the country, although on rare occasions exceptions have been made.

Based on the news article, the Thai government clearly requested that Japan exempt Thaksin from their entry ban of criminals. The official government request is likely to have influenced the result.

This is the first clear sign that this new government is working for the benefit of Thaksin, the Shinawatra dynasty and their business empire.

Edited by hyperdimension

Having a dipolmatic passport is not a get out of jail card or is it that big of a deal. I was offered a job at the US Embassy in Moscow and part of the package was a diplomatic passport, I am a plumber. I could only use the passport entering and leaving Russia and any other travel had to be on my personal passport. So donot read that much into a diplomatic passport, it gets you head of the line at immigration thats about it.

I didn't realize Thailand carries out Visa and consular services on behalf of foreign citizens such as Montenegro. If the Japanese visa is indeed attached to a Montenegro passport we have just entered the twilight zone; though I think I did that the day I moved here. :ph34r:

Suspect you are delusional if you think Japan is actively trying to 'flip the bird' at Abhisit.

Japan would have no interest in playing this sort of game, taking this sort of action.

So the guy is traveling on a MonteNegrin passport ... and that is where the Visa will be found .. what's the fuzz about ...just another in a long string of poorly written pieces of low quality "news" coming from the Nation which is just made to smear the new government and to promote the newspapers own political view/agenda and that of their paymasters......

I think you'll find the country still needs to accept the diplomatic credentials. It isnt as automatic as people think. However, in this case it is likely he is using a personal passport

No country is compelled by any law to accept anybody.

It remains the prerogative of any country to accept or reject anybody from entry, regardless of what sort of travel document they present. It cannot be any other way.

... snip ...we have just entered the twilight zone ... snip ...
Sawasdee Khrup Khun Dan of Steel,

You are right, we are in the land of perpetual twilight zone, and so few are both lucky and damned enough to realize it.

What I'd like to know is how loud the gnashing of 'Yellow' teeth is when they hear this story.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

So the guy is traveling on a MonteNegrin passport ... and that is where the Visa will be found .. what's the fuzz about ...just another in a long string of poorly written pieces of low quality "news" coming from the Nation which is just made to smear the new government and to promote the newspapers own political view/agenda and that of their paymasters......

The fuzz is about the new Minister of Foreign Affairs moving from full denial to being caught lying about this issue. Newspapers report on things like that, they're supposed to do that. I would assume that in your country of origin the newspapers also report on government failures, lies, etc. In Europe that's really normal. Has something to do with democracy and freedom of speech, I think :rolleyes:

The fuzz is about the new Minister of Foreign Affairs moving from full denial to being caught lying about this issue. Newspapers report on things like that, they're supposed to do that. I would assume that in your country of origin the newspapers also report on government failures, lies, etc. In Europe that's really normal. Has something to do with democracy and freedom of speech, I think :rolleyes:

But usually it takes until about mid-term for the lies to become apparent. B)

Wow, you have access to private cabinet requests and communications with the japan! You must be well connected to Senior PTP ministers.