Thai Drivers

midas

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure there are more idiots on the road then in the West but to call all Thai drivers bad is a bride to far.

My gf rebularly comments on the stupidity of her own countrymen while driving. So there are enough Thais who think the same as we do.

I think everyone is aware of the upsetting parts, so i'll just point out a positive thing,

they signal far more often these days to explain their intention, just a pity that often the signal is left forgotten after the turn, but that also goes for many falang's

Don't forget all the other lights……….Fog light on at the sniff of rain, along with all manner of colors for head, brake, tail and under lighting…………….But funny when it gets dark, night, bad visibility and so on…….notso much as a flicker of light.

I am convinced that if there was an option to buy cars, bikes and pick-ups with no rear lights,at all, for say….5000k discount they would outsell all others on the road.

The amount of bikes I pass on the 107, going home at night with no rear lights out number those with most of the time…………..It appears it's not there problem, after all………Cars can see them, in the pouring rain…low, or no light, that's why, (apparently) cars have head lights, so we can see them.

Edited by Tonto21

KKK, agree 100%. What surprises me is that Thais believe themselves to be Buddhists, waiing on each spirit house, wearing amulets, keeping altars on dashboards, however Buddhism teaches Love and Compassion to all living beings, and where is it?

I'm probably gonna get slammed for this but here goes. It's the best I can remember from talks with a tibetian monk.

Buddhism as practised by Thais follows an inner circle of belief. Every action I make affects me.

Tibetian buddhism follows an outer circle of belief. Every action I make affects everybody everywhere.

So a Thai e.g. offering alms to a begger is not for the benifit of the begger it is for the benifit, i.e. merit, of the giver. This inner circle of belief is very selfish as nobody else matters but oneself.

Also the non-confrontational attitude of Thais (never complain to or confront something or somebody doing harm or wrong) means that anybody can do just about anything they like, and mostly get away with it, because they know nobody will complain.

perhaps that would explain why they do things without consideration for others.

waiing on each spirit house...hope I'M not there too soon

wearing amulets...warding off evil attacking ME

keeping altars on dashboards...protecting ME

Notice it's all ME, ME, ME, never they, they, they.

Well that's my point of view anyway..like it or leave it...

Edited by KKK

OP you do understand that letting space for motorbikes to go up front if what causes 50% of the thai traffic?

Motorbikes are so EFFIN slow, having to pass them at every light and then them coming back up and blocking your way is what makes everyone miss every green light.

Keeping them in the back would make the traffic better and SAFER.

Its inconsiderate to let them pass.

I would reckon that you have never ridden a motorbike in your life. How is that a motorcycle, less than a quarter of the size of the average car, be the cause of traffic jams. Letting them all up front of a traffic Q makes good sense. They bunch close together, take off at far higher accelleration than most cars, clearing space for the dozy car drivers who had fallen asleep as they fumble with the gear shift only to find that the light has turned red again.

If all car drivers would line themselves up in a straight line with headlight to tail light instead of the zig-zag fashion you tend to find then the motor cycles could pass on either side allowing those turning left to do so without hinderence, and those turning right or going straight ahead to get into position for a quick getaway.

Just because your car cost 10x the price of a motorbike gives you no right to be the "heh I'm richer, therefore better, than you, cause I got a car" bitch. Motorbikes are far more economical, per passenger mile, than most cars. and therefore good for the environment. Your car only satisfies one thing...your overinflated ego.

Had to laugh today (sort of...) when I came up to a set of red traffic lights and a car had stopped in the box at the front. I just went in front of him and when the lights turned green accelerated away far more quickly than the car.

After about half a mile, he finally caught up and overtook about 6 inches away from my scooter.... He was definitely annoyed that I had stopped at the lights in front of him, even though his acceleration was WAY slower than mine! Was that you Thailand (poster -not country...)? :lol:

It gave me a bit of a fright as I hadn't thought anything of it and was driving along happily as far left as possible.

The average Thai driver seems to have a death wish IMHO after driving here for nearly 1O years....:rolleyes:

Yes, but you have to take into consideration that driving cars and mc, is a relatively new thing to Thailand. One has to give them 1 generation to get used to it. The same goes for mobile phones. :)

Edited by Semper

OP you do understand that letting space for motorbikes to go up front if what causes 50% of the thai traffic?

Motorbikes are so EFFIN slow, having to pass them at every light and then them coming back up and blocking your way is what makes everyone miss every green light.

Keeping them in the back would make the traffic better and SAFER.

Its inconsiderate to let them pass.

I would reckon that you have never ridden a motorbike in your life. How is that a motorcycle, less than a quarter of the size of the average car, be the cause of traffic jams. Letting them all up front of a traffic Q makes good sense. They bunch close together, take off at far higher accelleration than most cars, clearing space for the dozy car drivers who had fallen asleep as they fumble with the gear shift only to find that the light has turned red again.

If all car drivers would line themselves up in a straight line with headlight to tail light instead of the zig-zag fashion you tend to find then the motor cycles could pass on either side allowing those turning left to do so without hinderence, and those turning right or going straight ahead to get into position for a quick getaway.

Just because your car cost 10x the price of a motorbike gives you no right to be the "heh I'm richer, therefore better, than you, cause I got a car" bitch. Motorbikes are far more economical, per passenger mile, than most cars. and therefore good for the environment. Your car only satisfies one thing...your overinflated ego.

Had to laugh today (sort of...) when I came up to a set of red traffic lights and a car had stopped in the box at the front. I just went in front of him and when the lights turned green accelerated away far more quickly than the car.

After about half a mile, he finally caught up and overtook about 6 inches away from my scooter.... He was definitely annoyed that I had stopped at the lights in front of him, even though his acceleration was WAY slower than mine! Was that you Thailand (poster -not country...)? :lol:

It gave me a bit of a fright as I hadn't thought anything of it and was driving along happily as far left as possible.

I hope you wern't past the STOP line and into the the zebra crossing that is often at a traffic junction. To be so would be against the law and inconsiderate of pedestrians.

Never ride a motorcycle as far left as possible. Keep about a motorbikes width to your left. That way when you meet idiots like you did you have some room to move out of their way. Worst thing is when high speed buses or trucks pass you close..at first they blow you aside then suck you back. SCARY....

Edited by KKK

As an old buddie of mine used to say "Never drive in a country that believes in reincarnation" ...don't know where he got this from but occassionally I wished I'd heeded the advice

Unfortunately it is not only driving that can be dangerous ... try being a pedestrian or a passenger in public transport. Your putting your life in somebody elses hands who doesn't give a <deleted> because he/she believes in reincarnation not only for themselves but you too.

So perhaps it should be "Never visit a country that believes in reincarnation"

On a related topic. Have you ever wondered why Thai drivers never give way to ambulances or fire trucks?

Well the reason is because about 0.0000000% of them have ever had any formal training.

Back home failure to pull over to the side of the road & stop for emergency vehicles will face a big fine & points off their license.

As an old buddie of mine used to say "Never drive in a country that believes in reincarnation" ...don't know where he got this from but occassionally I wished I'd heeded the advice

Unfortunately it is not only driving that can be dangerous ... try being a pedestrian or a passenger in public transport. Your putting your life in somebody elses hands who doesn't give a <deleted> because he/she believes in reincarnation not only for themselves but you too.

Yes especially when you have impatient and inconsiderate motocy drivers coming up between the queue to pile out in front of the rest of traffic because they somehow believe they're privileged or entitled to do so, it is illegal BTW just like anywhere else, nobody has mentioned that little tidbit..

Edited by WarpSpeed

On a related topic. Have you ever wondered why Thai drivers never give way to ambulances or fire trucks?

Well the reason is because about 0.0000000% of them have ever had any formal training.

Back home failure to pull over to the side of the road & stop for emergency vehicles will face a big fine & points off their license.

And there's no enforcement..

To actually ask this question shows a total lack of knowledge about Thailand.

no worries there! I am unashamedly the first to admit I don't understand their thought process :lol:

What thought process? Isn't this a country of act first, apologise (if required too) later.

If there was any kind of thought process before an action wouldn't it include "is what I'm about to do gonna hurt/harm/interfere/inconvenience anybody?" I.E. consideration for others rather than total selfishness.

Yes especially when you have impatient and inconsiderate motocy drivers coming up between the queue to pile out in front of the rest of traffic because they somehow believe they're privileged or entitled to do so, it is illegal BTW just like anywhere else, nobody has mentioned that little tidbit..

It is only illegal if the motorbikes are past the STOP line as I have mentioned that before. Sounds like you're suffering from ME1ST syndrome.

Edited by KKK

And there's no enforcement..

And it's not them that's in the ambulance or their house that's on fire.....again selfishness rules....no consideration for others...PERIOD.

Last night I left Buriram at 18.10 with overcast skies. Without question it was already headlights on. I drove for 40 minutes to our destination at which point 70% of Cars STILL didn't have any lights on at all.

It just sums them up completely ??

Nope wrong answer (but true anyway)

Correct answer is "ITS NOT MY PROBLEM" -Period.

Edited by Chivas

I hope you wern't past the STOP line and into the the zebra crossing that is often at a traffic junction. To be so would be against the law and inconsiderate of pedestrians.

something that really annoys me is the way songthaews park right in front of the zebra crossing waiting for passengers thereby

cutting off the line of sight by about 50% when you want to cross the road safely :angry:

Just a little bit of common sense and they would realise they could achieve the same result by parking on the other side

of the crossing not that they should even be parked in that location anyway but the traffic police don't seem to care one bit. :blink:

Edited by midas

In another topic I just read about Buddhism and the inner and outer circle...

i.e. some forms of Buddhism involve the outer circle and bringing benefit to others...

In Thailand (forgive the huge generalization) the Inner circle takes precedence - what can I do for myself.

The poster in the other thread was far more articulate but what it boils down to is none other than selfishness and ignorance... I want, I do, I happy (or I not not happy !).

i.e. some forms of Buddhism involve the outer circle and bringing benefit to others...

In Thailand (forgive the huge generalization) the Inner circle takes precedence - what can I do for myself.

The poster in the other thread was far more articulate but what it boils down to is none other than selfishness and ignorance... I want, I do, I happy (or I not not happy !).

Now the thread is getting the hang of it...it's not just driving..it is everything....ME ME ME....I'M ALL THAT COUNTS....everybody and everything else comes second place.....

KKK

Reading you posts on this thread, I take it you don't care much for Thai people. :rolleyes:

It is not a matter of liking or not liking it is a matter of knowing what/who you're dealing with.

And while we're on the subject just how much do you think the average Thai cares about Farang?

KKK

Reading you posts on this thread, I take it you don't care much for Thai people. :rolleyes:

It is not a matter of liking or not liking it is a matter of knowing what/who you're dealing with.

And while we're on the subject just how much do you think the average Thai cares about Farang?

Zilch. And why should they? We are all aliens here.

Edited by Semper

Now the thread is getting the hang of it...it's not just driving..it is everything....ME ME ME....I'M ALL THAT COUNTS....everybody and everything else comes second place.....

Not sure if it's purely a Buddhist thing. One of the most selfish people I've met here in Thailand is Christian. And not one of those "fake" converted Christians, either.

This thread is quite funny.......

All I can say is some of you folks need a hobby or something to divert this pent up anger you hold against Thai's. Its interesting. While you harbor this angst the Thai folks are going about their daily lives, probably what most of you should be doing too.......biggrin.gif

Today I rode my Moto over near Nakhom Pathom to look at some old CJ Jeeps. I Met a few nice guys, we laughed, They offered me lunch. Their Mom was very nice and accommodating. I had zero issues both there and back with Thai drivers only thing that surfaced, which was easy to avoid, was the BIB had a dragnet going and I just dropped a gear and blew out onto the big road and it was a moot point.

Edited by JAFO

This thread is quite funny.......

All I can say is some of you folks need a hobby or something to divert this pent up anger you hold against Thai's. Its interesting. While you harbor this angst the Thai folks are going about their daily lives, probably what most of you should be doing too.......biggrin.gif

Today I rode my Moto over near Nakhom Pathom to look at some old CJ Jeeps. I Met a few nice guys, we laughed, They offered me lunch. Their Mom was very nice and accommodating. I had zero issues both there and back with Thai drivers only thing that surfaced, which was easy to avoid, was the BIB had a dragnet going and I just dropped a gear and blew out onto the big road and it was a moot point.

All I can say is some of you folks need a hobby or something

Well for some folks, posting here is a hobby. :D