Tmb And Scb

For a few years now I've had a TMB passbook account with an ATM card. I usually try to use the TMB ATMs as the other banks usually charge a fee (from 20 baht to 50 baht). However, the other night I was need of some cash and as there were no TMB ATMs around I used a Siam Commercial Bank ATM. In the past, SCB, have always charged 20 baht, but this time there was no charge. I tried again another night with the same result.

So my question is, are the two banks merging, or have all the Thai banks come to an agreement not to charge customers of other banks (I have only tried SCM so far)? Anyone know?

Edited by eyebee

My GF opened a TMB savings account this week but in looking at it she said that TMB ATM withdrawals from other banks were free?

I would not guarantee this without checking but makes more sense then a merger/takeover. Their charges should be somewhere on their website I guess

I've had a TMB account for 5 years and have always had to pay 20 Baht to withdraw from other banks ATMs.

However I read on TV that earlier this year there was a concensus among banks that the first 4 ATM withdrawals in a month would be free and a fee charged thereafter.

Try 3 more withdrawals and see if you get charged for the last one.

I opened an account with TMB the other day and the cashier told me very clearly that all TMB ATM withdrawals are free from any bank in Thailand, and that TMB are the only bank who does this.

Of course, she may be mistaken.

Bangkok Bank have a limit of 4 withdrawals per month on a TMB ATM card, after that you pay a fee. I've been with TMB for 2 years and they have been great. Some of the staff even speak English and are always friendly, I'm glad I changed banks.

I've had a TMB account for 5 years and have always had to pay 20 Baht to withdraw from other banks ATMs.

However I read on TV that earlier this year there was a concensus among banks that the first 4 ATM withdrawals in a month would be free and a fee charged thereafter.

Try 3 more withdrawals and see if you get charged for the last one.

Correct; though to my understanding not so much consensus by the banks, as force by the BOT - but the outcome is the same. The charge after the 4th transaction per month is 10 Bt; balance inquiries count as transactions.

I have a Bank of Ayudhya ATM card and I found out recently that if I used it in other bank in my area and there was no service fee.

So it is possible that the previous poster ( PattayaParent ) is right and we can use it in other bank ATM not more than 4 time a months.

In my case it was only 2 time in the same month. Very convenient.

Edited by cnx355

it's a special TMB ATM card where there are no limits to withdrawals from other banks' machines (for 3 years)

not sure whether it is still available

Apparently this is what my GF was talking about. As aother poster said cost 500 baht one time payment for the card. Not supposed to be for non residents but okay of you have certain visas - sorry do not have details and will probably depend on the branch as usual. As she inquired only this week it should still be available.