Birth Certificate Of Thai Son Lists Grandparents As Parents?

Hello,

37-year-old American here. My girlfriend has a Visitor Visa interview coming up. She has a 13-year-old son, and this relationship was one of the "ties to Thailand" she is trying to prove to the US Embassy. I just found out that the boy's birth certificate lists his Grandparents as his parents. I think his family did this to save face, since the Thai father immediately split and has never been part of his or his Mother's life.

Is this a common thing for Thais to do when the father splits? I've never heard of it myself. Any thoughts as to how to handle this with the US Embassy? I think she should still bring the document, and explain the reasons behind her name not being present. It just sucks cuz now there actually isn't any documented proof that she is his Mother, though she certainly is.

Any thoughts?

-Scott

not quite the same but my stepson has just come to uk on a settlement visa and he had his grandfather on the birth certificate as his father, i know not quite the same as you cos his mothers name was on it, she was questioned as to why his grandfathers name was on and not his real father, she explained that cos the father wanted nothing to do with her when she fell pregnant his father put his name on to save the family grace i assume?, but yes i think it is quite common practice in thailand for grandparents to be on it

Trying to think outside the box here.......

If the mother gave birth in a hospital, they may still have a record of her admittance,reason for admittance and subsequent birth… worth a try?

Even though the child's birth certificate lists the grandparents as the parents, if the above can be obtained it would be compelling evidence I think, same dates etc.

Also any birth photos, (like 2 hours old with mother still in hospital bed with baby)?

Just a thought….

Edited by Frogster