True 3G And True Hspa Coming Next Month

I just want to let everyone know that while I went to CAT telecom office today in nathon they told me next month for sure koh samui will have True 3G and True HSPA. then while at tesco lotus today I went to talk with true and they told me the same thing, here's the kicker though if you want true HSPA you'll have to go contact true in bangkok or true in suratthani to get that sim card for HSPA.

Incase you don't know what HSPA basically its High Speed Packet Access its supposed to be faster for internet data than 3G and have a lower latency time.

Like many of you I'm not actually sure or not about this but hope it happens wait and see

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes .... same story last month and the month before! :o But the HSPA part is interesting, they did not tell me that when I was in on Monday... I did inquire about a ADSL fibre optic line to my house, but because more that 1 km off the Ring Road, they cannot or will not do.

"supposed to be faster for internet data than 3G and have a lower latency time. "

ok, Im not the greatest with computer tech speak, so please can you explain it to me like I'm an 8 year old?

it goes zoom zoom zoom like a racing car not chugga chugga chugga like a steam train.

"supposed to be faster for internet data than 3G and have a lower latency time. "

ok, Im not the greatest with computer tech speak, so please can you explain it to me like I'm an 8 year old?

it goes zoom zoom zoom like a racing car not chugga chugga chugga like a steam train.

Bit cryptic that...are you saying it will crash more often as well? biggrin.gif

Yes .... same story last month and the month before! :o But the HSPA part is interesting, they did not tell me that when I was in on Monday... I did inquire about a ADSL fibre optic line to my house, but because more that 1 km off the Ring Road, they cannot or will not do.

i know someone that lives well out in the sticks, probably 5km away from the ring road entrance to soi 5 mae nam, and he has just had fiber optic installed and said he's getting download speeds of 1.5mbps. i live just a stones throw from the main road and i can't get it installed without paying them to put 5km worth of cable from nathon. bastards.

i know someone that lives well out in the sticks, probably 5km away from the ring road entrance to soi 5 mae nam, and he has just had fiber optic installed and said he's getting download speeds of 1.5mbps. i live just a stones throw from the main road and i can't get it installed without paying them to put 5km worth of cable from nathon. bastards.

I think it comes down to how many people they can service in a particular area... Soi 5 has a large number of "High End" houses... so enough people to make it worth while.... My Soi has few if any "high end" such dwellings!

As for Steelerian's comment,... yes I meant to add I had never heard of HSPA before either... so you are not the only one confused with all this "jargon".... so ....don't feel so bad... :blink:

For regular computer I find the CAT dongle is very good, it's just the Ipad, that drives me crazy with poor signal at my house... I have tried True, AIS, and now on DTAC... all not good at the house... although fine, else where in built up areas at least..... Defeats the purpose of using Ipad, when having to turn on computer to create a Wifi signal.....:annoyed:

:cheesy:

I think it comes down to how many people they can service in a particular area... Soi 5 has a large number of "High End" houses... so enough people to make it worth while.... My Soi has few if any "high end" such dwellings!

As for Steelerian's comment,... yes I meant to add I had never heard of HSPA before either... so you are not the only one confused with all this "jargon".... so ....don't feel so bad... :blink:

For regular computer I find the CAT dongle is very good, it's just the Ipad, that drives me crazy with poor signal at my house... I have tried True, AIS, and now on DTAC... all not good at the house... although fine, else where in built up areas at least..... Defeats the purpose of using Ipad, when having to turn on computer to create a Wifi signal.....:annoyed:

could be it i suppose but the guy i know lives km's away from any of these high end houses, in a small bungalow seemingly km's from anything. i was pretty upset when they said they couldn't get service to my house on the main road. in time, i guess.

crystal clear now, may thanks :jap:

:lol:

:lol:

I Googled HSPA this morning, clearer than mud, now ..... it was all in Thai!

Think I will wait to see what actually comes.... but not holding my breathe!;):(

Think I will wait to see what actually comes.... but not holding my breathe!;):(

Good idea me thinks. Last time that I was in the True office (opposite the PO on Chewang ring road) they said "not before December".:o

When I cancelled my True sim last month, for ipad, I got three phone calls from them..(in BKK, I think) .... within hours.... seemingly concerned about poor reception !!!! :rolleyes:

They promised another call...within a few days...... . that never came.....:o

So now been through GSM, AIS , True now Dtac..... all lousy where I live! :(

Are there more Sim card choices??? Does anyone know?

Good idea me thinks. Last time that I was in the True office (opposite the PO on Chewang ring road) they said "not before December".:o

When I cancelled my True sim last month, for ipad, I got three phone calls from them..(in BKK, I think) .... within hours.... seemingly concerned about poor reception !!!! :rolleyes:

They promised another call...within a few days...... . that never came.....:o

So now been through GSM, AIS , True now Dtac..... all lousy where I live! :(

Are there more Sim card choices??? Does anyone know?

Crikey Jimmy - where do you live?

Just be a bit careful - I have GSM, AIS and DTAC as back-ups. All of them have their bad days now and again. It depends on how many people are using the blxxdy systems. With TOT being so iffy many are using the 'dongles' for back-up. July and August have been bad in Plai Laem where I live. You will need to check them over a period of time.

CAT GSM has been the best over the long run to date for me.:blink:

When I cancelled my True sim last month, for ipad, I got three phone calls from them..(in BKK, I think) .... within hours.... seemingly concerned about poor reception !!!! :rolleyes: They promised another call...within a few days...... . that never came.....:o So now been through GSM, AIS , True now Dtac..... all lousy where I live! :( Are there more Sim card choices??? Does anyone know?
Crikey Jimmy - where do you live? Just be a bit careful - I have GSM, AIS and DTAC as back-ups. All of them have their bad days now and again. It depends on how many people are using the blxxdy systems. With TOT being so iffy many are using the 'dongles' for back-up. July and August have been bad in Plai Laem where I live. You will need to check them over a period of time. CAT GSM has been the best over the long run to date for me.:blink:
yes Crikey is right! :blink: I am less than 2 kms off ring road, lucky to see three bars.... on any of the Sims ... any time of day or night...

I like to listen to some of the streaming music stations, but buffers every few seconds... that's pain in the you know where! :D

Having used a Maxis 3g Sim traveling around Malaysia I know how good it can be! Even in non urban areas! My CAT 727 dongle is pretty darn good, on computer.... but Ipad won't take it, says uses too much power.... :bah:

My CAT 727 dongle is pretty darn good, on computer.... but Ipad won't take it, says uses too much power.... :bah:

When 3G does arrive will we be able to just get one SIM for your phone and tether it to the ipad, instead of having 2 sims?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I just found out it depends which phone you are using.... friend in Canada has a Blackcurrant and it won't tether with his Ipad 2 :blink: so that won't necessarily work.... Iphone, probably yes!

I have decided to give up on the Ipad and just get a net book, where I can just change my dongle.... and get good speed... Some times so slow I feel like using it as a Frisbee ...:annoyed:

I've listed it in Russia, (through my Rusty neighbour) where IPads are about 20% + more in price, and it's listed for what I paid for it! He seems to think it will go fast....we'll see....?

Then paying for one service from CATCDMA, dongle, rather than paying for 2 services, that will almost pay for the new net book within a year with the savings.....Makes sense to me....

PS...... had to edit out some "quote" marks as said did not match....:blink:

Edited by samuijimmy

Well I just found out it depends which phone you are using.... friend in Canada has a Blackcurrant and it won't tether with his Ipad 2 :blink: so that won't necessarily work.... Iphone, probably yes!

I have decided to give up on the Ipad and just get a net book, where I can just change my dongle.... and get good speed... Some times so slow I feel like using it as a Frisbee ...:annoyed:

I've listed it in Russia, (through my Rusty neighbour) where IPads are about 20% + more in price, and it's listed for what I paid for it! He seems to think it will go fast....we'll see....?

Then paying for one service from CATCDMA, dongle, rather than paying for 2 services, that will almost pay for the new net book within a year with the savings.....Makes sense to me....

Yeah I tried the blackcurrant with the ipad 2 and it didn't work either.

I'm ditching the blackcurrant for an iphone now, so you'd expect it will tether to anything mac and since i've got the iphone no real point in the ipad, so i'm doing the same, better off with a note book air. This is all for business use mind, I need things to tether, be easy to carry round and just one sim/phone bill.

I reckon it will sell in Russia, everything is expensive there, good luck i hope you sell it on.

I might pm you about some of these mobile services if you don't mind, it's all new to me and you sound like you are in the know jap.gif

Yeah I tried the blackcurrant with the ipad 2 and it didn't work either.

I'm ditching the blackcurrant for an iphone now, so you'd expect it will tether to anything mac and since i've got the iphone no real point in the ipad, so i'm doing the same, better off with a note book air. This is all for business use mind, I need things to tether, be easy to carry round and just one sim/phone bill.

I reckon it will sell in Russia, everything is expensive there, good luck i hope you sell it on.

I might pm you about some of these mobile services if you don't mind, it's all new to me and you sound like you are in the know jap.gif

Might be the "blind leading the blind".... :rolleyes:...... but you're welcome to contact me....

Some of these things I "no understand" !!! I just want it to be quick and simple.... ('KISS' works for me!- "Keep it simple stupid"!!!!! )

Last night I sent two photos off the ipad, it took over an hour and a half to send..... :blink: OMG! I could have downloaded off a regular camera and sent in minutes off a computer.....

When in Malaysia in July I used 3g, it was no problem at all.... whiz bang..... gone, .... not chug a chug.... chuuuuuuug! :D

As for the question from Ryosuke, of keeping numbers when changing Sims or carriers, I am not sure..... but sure there are some "geeks" around here that would know <_<

There is number portability in Thailand now, you can keep same number and change from 1 operator to another like Ais to Dtac or True.

ubc are selling 3g but they told me that it does not cover all parts of the island. has anyone tested it in different places. if so what was it like. for example lamui chaweng beach road manam bohput nathong biliem, Hua Thanon lipa noi ban talingam seatran ferry ? donsak lol

There is number portability in Thailand now, you can keep same number and change from 1 operator to another like Ais to Dtac or True.

i've tried this already to switch my dtac service to ais. have had the same number since the day i got here but dtac service at my house is complete crap, have to stand on the porch to make or receive calls and they are typically bounced off of a tower on phangan first.

ais at tesco said "yes, can do. you need to go to bangkok because we cannot do here"

i'm pretty much immune to this sort of utter stupidity now so just shook my head and walked out.

ubc are selling 3g but they told me that it does not cover all parts of the island. has anyone tested it in different places. if so what was it like. for example lamui chaweng beach road manam bohput nathong biliem, Hua Thanon lipa noi ban talingam seatran ferry ? donsak lol

Since you have not told us the name of the product, how can it be tested?

It's not unlike writing that tesco is selling food, has anyone eaten it?

The name of the product is in the thread title..

True 3G and True HSPA

The name of the product is in the thread title..

True 3G and True HSPA

I can see that UBC is linked to TRUE, but it still doesn't tell me the specific name of the product.

Since there are no other reports of TRUE 3G working as yet, perhaps it is CAT CDMA. So that why I'm interested in the name of the product.

Thank you for your input, but my reply was addressed to Big C.