Gutters: Vinyl V Galvanised Steel

Greenside

I need to install some guttering in our new house. Have been shown some ugly galvanised steel units imported from Scandinavia and about to check out the prices of Windsor Vinyl guttering which I prefer the look of. Does anyone have experience of using upvc or vinyl gutting over an extended period here? The galv has a 20 year warranty (they say) and the Vinyl only a couple of years - does that tell the story?

Edited by Greenside

Have a look at Lindab Aqualine range (unless these where the ones you said were ugly!). I installed on our house last year and blends in really well. Loads of colours too but not too that cheap.

Here is a thread when i was searching - http://www.thaivisa....ing-accessories

We also have Lindap gutters and they work very well. And they aren't ugly at all...

Would question galvanized lasting any length of time from what I have seen but do not believe it is imported. What is sold here is very cheap and quick to rust. Most Thai use stainless steel which is fabricated and installed on-site. Have had very good results from this. Remember these are going to be full and extremely heavy during normal rainfall here so you do need size and strength.

Would question galvanized lasting any length of time from what I have seen but do not believe it is imported. What is sold here is very cheap and quick to rust. Most Thai use stainless steel which is fabricated and installed on-site. Have had very good results from this. Remember these are going to be full and extremely heavy during normal rainfall here so you do need size and strength.

We had the over sized galvanized ones installed on our house 5 or 6 years ago and painted them to match the trim around the roof so they blend in perfectly and aren't really even noticed. In that time we've had no rust problems but repainted them this year due to some peeling and chipping. They were installed by a guy driving down the road in a pickup bending and making them on the spot and didn't cost much for what we got. as the poster said above, just make sure you get a big enough size and that it is installed at the correct incline with the right size, number and location of down pipes. In heavy rains ours can overflow in two areas, because of an incorrect angle in one spot and another down pipe needed on one side of the home.

Oh, and we also paid to have a wire mesh (that wire fencing that comes in about 2 cm squares) cut and installed covering the top of the gutters to keep birds from nesting in there and keep debris like leaves from building up so that the gutters do not have to be cleaned.

Edited by hhfarang

Thai galvanised installed 2008 in Phuket, now holes in it

pvc installed back home in 1991, still fine and no leaks

I have just priced up Windsor Delux to go around three sides of an outside area which is about 2.5M above ground. I allowed for two down pipes. The gutter run lengths are 4.93M, 6.76M and 5.5M so I need six 3M lengths of guttering. Erecting at the recommended support lengths it comes to 8040Baht excluding glue, silicon and screws.. I am quite capable of erecting this.

Unfortunately my facia is not vertical so I need to use Facia fixers.

HallMart prices at present are

Gutter 3M....520Baht

Gutter joiner....75Baht

Drop Outlet....265Baht

90Deg Corner....210Baht

DownPipe 3M....290Baht

Downpipe 30Deg elbow...75Baht

Gutter hanger....40Baht

Facia Fixer....40Baht

Downpipe Clip 40Baht

If anyone knows where I can purchase and get delivered much cheaper please advise.

I have just priced up Windsor Delux to go around three sides of an outside area which is about 2.5M above ground. I allowed for two down pipes. The gutter run lengths are 4.93M, 6.76M and 5.5M so I need six 3M lengths of guttering. Erecting at the recommended support lengths it comes to 8040Baht excluding glue, silicon and screws.. I am quite capable of erecting this.

Unfortunately my facia is not vertical so I need to use Facia fixers.

HallMart prices at present are

Gutter 3M....520Baht

Gutter joiner....75Baht

Drop Outlet....265Baht

90Deg Corner....210Baht

DownPipe 3M....290Baht

Downpipe 30Deg elbow...75Baht

Gutter hanger....40Baht

Facia Fixer....40Baht

Downpipe Clip 40Baht

If anyone knows where I can purchase and get delivered much cheaper please advise.

we have bought 2lots of windsor the costs are more or less the same [home mart] 2010 and 2011.

I have the same issue with the fascia but haven't seen fascia fixers - what are they exactly. A picture would help as our local stores don't seem to have a solution on the shelf.

Here are a couple of pictures from the catalogue...I'll post a picture of one when the stuff comes.

post-17329-0-54693700-1316061574_thumb.jpost-17329-0-54693700-1316061574_thumb.j

post-17329-0-99904000-1316061604_thumb.j

Edited by JAS21

I purchased my PVC gutters from True Value they come in brown or white, went for the brown to match paintwork, they have now been up for 4 years and still as good as new, they are suppose to be imported from USA and tested in Arizona, they have a 10 year guarantee “take this as face value”

Fitted them myself very easy.

post-17329-0-10053400-1316140538_thumb.j

Thanks JAS, that's very helpful.

It all comes tomorrow morning..I'll post a photo..it's just a 1200Baht pity that I need them, but angled facias do tend to look better.

OK you can work out from the pictures how the fixers work..I think that I placed them correctly. The instructions say where you see the name WINDSOR make sure it is at the top...presumably the right way up. Each support needs four screws and I bought 2.5inch long ones.

post-17329-0-70515100-1316140302_thumb.j

post-17329-0-10053400-1316140538_thumb.j

Thanks JAS, that's very helpful.

It all comes tomorrow morning..I'll post a photo..it's just a 1200Baht pity that I need them, but angled facias do tend to look better.

OK you can work out from the pictures how the fixers work..I think that I placed them correctly. The instructions say where you see the name WINDSOR make sure it is at the top...presumably the right way up. Each support needs four screws and I bought 2.5inch long ones.

they are the same supports we used,we had one couple who came to look at our job and asked what are holding up the guttering they do look the part.