Swede With Heart Disease Thrown In Thai Prison: Overstay In Paradise

webfact

love these threads.

A tabloid article with so many holes in it I wouldn't know where to start.

In response, we have 7 pages of conspiracy theory claptrap by desk jockey's who take tabloid journalism seriously, and who, like the subject of the OP, are probably serious contenders for this years Darwin Awards in their own right.

Whats wrong with that?, its a forum for FS, lighten up.

ph34r.gif

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy to get extension based on hospitalization.

From Police order 777/2551

2.25 In the case of medical treatment or convalescence or to look after a patient:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 90 days at a time.

(1) Confirmation and request has been made by a physician responsible for the treatment. The Physician must describe the details of treatment and advised that the illness is a barrier for travelling.

(2) In the case of looking after a patient, confirmation and request has been made by the physician responsible for the treatment or by an embassy or consulate.

(3) Patient Carer, except parents, spouse, children, adopted children or children of spouse, shall be granted no more than 1 extra person.

Bumrungrad International hospital has a desk specifically for this type of problem. he should look into the bangkok hospital policy and WHY they let him down! if the facts are as stated!

What do you suppose would happen in all of your home countries if you walked into a police station and announced that you were an illegal alien?

In my country? The USA? They actually used to give you home mortgages. The government still gives you an earned income tax credit (read: cash stipend) for all of your children, legal or illegal, real or fake. You also enter into the census for purposes of political redistricting, so that you sort of receive political representation based on your racial identity. Your children entitle you, as an illegal alien head of household, to acquire, distribute and spend all welfare funds, including WIC, food stamps, housing, etc. And if you're in a couple of Texas border towns, the official language is even in your homegrown Spanish, if you're from a latin country. In other words, you get everything but the key to the city and sometimes you get that, too, on Cinco de Mayo.

Next question.

Here is the next question: Do you believe that the individual featured in the OP should have been offered a home mortgage in Thailand?

Why not? It was a "success" for a few in the US. http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/08/news/economy/illegal_immigrants/

I would not advise anyone to go the police if over staying, but get to the airport on the day of your flight, you will be asked to pay a fine at passport control and sent on your way, I was worried about this myself when I overstayed as my home address was known by immigration, at the time I did it police arrested some person at his hotel without any warning for overstaying a few days and spent a week in prison,,

Edited by rexpetchpeng

Does any Swede or other know what type of tabloid Aftonbladet is? In the states we have several 'sensational' tabloids such as the National Enquirer that make their living publishing outlandish stories designed to get the reaction most of the posters have been feeling. The stories usually contain only a small piece of truth or no truth at all and embelish the rest. The parties involved in the story are often paid unlike normal news organizations. Is Aftonbladet a decent news source or something else?

Does any Swede or other know what type of tabloid Aftonbladet is? In the states we have several 'sensational' tabloids such as the National Enquirer that make their living publishing outlandish stories designed to get the reaction most of the posters have been feeling. The stories usually contain only a small piece of truth or no truth at all and embelish the rest. The parties involved in the story are often paid unlike normal news organizations. Is Aftonbladet a decent news source or something else?

My Swedish friend tells me it is an afternoon paper and is not considered a respected news source. The do carry news articles but it is very tabloid orientated.

Sounds like b/s to me. Especially Bangkok Hospital will always ask patients if they need help with extending the visa. I know because I was admitted and had a group of people checking if I need help. I had a valid visa so I did not need help. So to me there are bits missing from the story.

Yeah I think so too. And why did he wait a few days after release from hospital......something missing here for sure.

Yeah, the whole story is just BS the guy made up to cover whatever illegal activities he was up to that caused him to be arrested.

The real story is how many TV posters believe the crap unconditionally, but then many get their regular News from sources like the Sun and National Enquirer (if they can read) and have never been to Thailand in the first place other than on the web.

How do you know this is all BS and what were the illegal activities he was up to. I know a chap who was arrested on totally trumped up charges and kept in the monkey house for a week until he agreed to part with 30,000 baht, he was then released and no more was heard about the matter. If you know something the rest of us don't it should make interesting reading.

Are you really that dense, i.e., to believe the original "news" story?

Spidermike -

This story need to be shown overseas, and Thailand need a serious black eye over this. I do not care what the circumstances are, this is completely unjustifiable. The only way changed happen here, is if Thailand loses face worldwide. The tourism industry is dying on the vine, and the TOT continues to spin out the false figures. An informed source told me that the island wide occupancy rate in Koh Samui in June was 20%! That is the lowest rate in the past 20 years. Something is happening, in a big way, and every Thai I talk to has their head in the sand, in regard to the issues. Where is the Anna Hazare of Thailand? Do the Thai people care, at all? Does the government care, or even acknowledge these issues, in the slightest manner? Who is going to be held accountable for this latest travesty?

I agree with you completely.

I too hate the Thai ex-pat big-mouths who come out with all the crap and conjecture and always seem to support the Thais version pouring scorn on anyone's downfall as if they were really living in Paradise. Its just a very dangerous place to live in and can't be acknowledged as anything else. I left AMAZING/MIRACLE Thailand for far nicer places in Asia, that are not a threat to my life or wallet and retain a certain degree of normality not fraught with danger encounters. Although must admit, the whores are not in abundance however realised there's more to life than these flights of fancy and cheap bad food engulfed with spices.

Mark my words, tourism will fall dramatically in Thailand soon now the world is aware of the all the facts and places like Vietnam etc are now vying for position. Who wants to go on holiday and come back with one family member amiss now been interred in an urn and taken back to be spread over their own countries homelands. All the parasites seem to take the Thai version 'period' and at some stage their own family might be facing these involuntary dilemmas. Lets face it. it ain't AMAZING or even a MIRACLE if you can go on holiday or work abroad and come back safe and sound - so why is it so different in THAILAND ?

Anyway, had my say and maybe somebody will recognize the message I'm trying to get across without being a hypocrite.

Cheers.

Spidermike -

This story need to be shown overseas, and Thailand need a serious black eye over this. I do not care what the circumstances are, this is completely unjustifiable. The only way changed happen here, is if Thailand loses face worldwide. The tourism industry is dying on the vine, and the TOT continues to spin out the false figures. An informed source told me that the island wide occupancy rate in Koh Samui in June was 20%! That is the lowest rate in the past 20 years. Something is happening, in a big way, and every Thai I talk to has their head in the sand, in regard to the issues. Where is the Anna Hazare of Thailand? Do the Thai people care, at all? Does the government care, or even acknowledge these issues, in the slightest manner? Who is going to be held accountable for this latest travesty?

I too hate the Thai ex-pat big-mouths who come out with all the crap and conjecture and always seem to support the Thais version pouring scorn on anyone's downfall as if they were really living in Paradise. Its just a very dangerous place to live in and can't be acknowledged as anything else. I left AMAZING/MIRACLE Thailand for far nicer places in Asia, that are not a threat to my life or wallet and retain a certain degree of normality not fraught with danger encounters. Although must admit, the whores are not in abundance however realised there's more to life than these flights of fancy and cheap bad food engulfed with spices.

Mark my words, tourism will fall dramatically in Thailand soon now the world is aware of the all the facts and places like Vietnam etc are now vying for position. Who wants to go on holiday and come back with one family member amiss now been interred in an urn and taken back to be spread over their own countries homelands. All the parasites seem to take the Thai version 'period' and at some stage their own family might be facing these involuntary dilemmas. Lets face it. it ain't AMAZING or even a MIRACLE if you can go on holiday or work abroad and come back safe and sound - so why is it so different in THAILAND ?

Anyway, had my say and maybe somebody will recognize the message I'm trying to get across without being a hypocrite.

Cheers.

Spidermike -

Cheers.

Yes we recognize your crap message ... for the crap that it is.

Waiting for that dramatic downturn in tourism now that you are getting your message out and no longer honoring Thailand with your presence. The horror and inhumanity!

Aftonbladet on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aftonbladet

Spidermike -

Cheers.

Mark my words, tourism will fall dramatically in Thailand soon

That would be wonderful, it was better 15-20 years ago.

My mate works for the ambulance service and is often called to police stations to pick out sick people and take them to the police hospital. He said the conditions are shocking. Some cells you cant sit down because a layer of dirty water from the toilet covers the floor. it would therefore be impossible to sleep. I always wondered do they not have Human Rights laws or some kind of law that protects even the guilty!? Also stories of beatings. A mentally handicapped farang was beaten by 4 policemen inside the cell because they could not understand him. Welts covered his body and later an X-Ray reviled a broken rib. He was then moved to a Psychiatric ward once it was discovered he was crazy. Another African guy begged my mate to let him go because he had been beaten and tortured all night trying to make him confess to a crime he allegedly did not commit. Stories are endless!.... just be aware. Walk the right path and avoid problems if you can. Not much mercy is shown here, not even to foreigners.

Very, very little in the way of human rights laws. Thailand is always ranked very low, and is consistently being warned by the US, when it comes to the human rights watch. Anyone remember the myanmar immigrant fishing boat incident of a few years ago? I would imagine that is a regular occurrence here, and we just do not hear about it. The troubling thing is, does anybody care? Where is the Anna Hazare of Thailand? Can anyone even imaging such a person in Thailand? Someone fasting to near death, to protest corruption and abuse.

<br />
<br />The usual knee-jerk reactions without knowing the full story.<br />
<br /><br /><br />Don't you love it, any story true or not always brings out the I hate Thailand brigade. But I still live here and will not move but I hate this place and will bad mouth it every chance I get bunch.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yes, Here is where I agree with you completely.

Some people consistently post "Thais are animals" "This country is corrupt" on , and on , and on ,and on...every day...in response to every single "news" article.

Folks, please focus on this concept....This gentleman and I are not talking about this specific case. We are pointing to the definition of insanity "To repeat a behavior and expect a different outcome."

You must be insane to continue to wake up every day in a place you hate..and then stay!!! The Thailand you live in is SO different than the Thailand I live in.

Example: Yesterday i was at JJ market...weaving thruogh the crowd, reached for phone, and dropped three 1,000 baht notes. I never new it...just kept walking....They barely hit the ground before a 24 year old Thai girl returned them. ( *Sigh* waiting for some ridiculous reply form the peanut gallery that somehow makes this nice story stink...i don't know how you will make it a bad thing...but i know you will..)

Question haters - "When are you leaving???"

Have a listen to yourself. Go and have a lie down you old goat.

OK, I lied down and had a rest. What do you suggest I do now? Curl up and die? Stop complaining? Keep my mouth shut like a good boy? Any other creative solutions from that brilliant mind?

The tourism industry is dying on the vine, and the TOT continues to spin out the false figures. An informed source told me that the island wide occupancy rate in Koh Samui in June was 20%! That is the lowest rate in the past 20 years. Something is happening, in a big way, and every Thai I talk to has their head in the sand, in regard to the issues.

Expats and "informed" sources have been saying this same stuff now for many many years but Thai Tourism is actually doing incredibly well considering the global economy and the current strength of the baht. Thailand has incredible beaches, wonderful historical sights, is inexpensive, has very good accommodations, has great service and great people ... at least this is the case for actual tourists as opposed to those coming here to behave like morons and believe Pattaya is what Thailand is about.

Could you please share your informed sources with me? I know several GM's at major hotels, and they all tell the same story. They tell me the arrival figures are "cooked", and the occupancy rates are lower than ever. There are thousands of tourist related businesses folding. Do you not see that? Do you talk to anyone? Have you traveled to Phuket, Pattaya, or Samui lately? Thousands have gone out of business already. What universe do you live in?

Intersting spidermike, my thai wife said after returning to hua hin last year after a few years away," LOTS of suspicious characters lurking around Hua Hin now ,never see like this before"

In Bangkok african girls lined up in the street in Nana no Work Visa in the face of police.

Lots of tourists got scarred away from the red shirt era and now lots of russian mafia in BK and lots more arab and indian tourists espscially in BK.

Thailand changed then and needs cleaning up sorry to say but to many mafia now running the crime and combining with thai.

Personally I used to enjoy a few days in pattaya and phuket but now I could not be bothered with the mafia infested plc's.

What you say in very true. And NOTHING is being done about it. Very, very little in the way of law and order. Nearly all police in thailand are goombas, goons, thugs, and wannabe mafia types. I understand they do not get paid enough. But, that is just another systemic problem that has been ignored for way too long. It is catching up. I predict that Thailand will be not only a footnote in the tourist trade, but an economic backwater 20 years from now. They are the only country in the region that is going backwards, on a dozen different levels.

Funniest post of the thread. Goes to show how low the bar is for posting on web forums these days. People just make stuff up and there are no consequences. Sadder are the gullible ones that believe this baloney.

I know someone that knows someone from an informed source. Yeah, people are going to believe you instead of published data because of your "informed source."

But I am not calling you a nitwit because that would get me a warning and the post deleted any way.

So I am not calling you a nitwit.

It is OK, call me a nitwit, if you feel compelled. Spend your life living in denial, if you feel compelled. My informed source happens to be a GM at a major hotel in Samui, and he gets the true occupancy figures every month from the thai tourism board. Believe me, they have no reason to lie about this, and neither do I. Wake up, and smell the social decay.

A hotel GM has access to true arrival figures? Or sour grapes because his business is off?

The reason so many businesses have closed is because too many of them opened, too many of them were identical to the ones right next door, and most of them were crap.

I suppose immigration is also fudging the number of people coming through Suvarnabhumi? And that the Thai government is flying dummy planes in and out? And paying people to line up and create hour-long waits at immigration?

<br />
<br />The usual knee-jerk reactions without knowing the full story.<br />
<br /><br /><br />Don't you love it, any story true or not always brings out the I hate Thailand brigade. But I still live here and will not move but I hate this place and will bad mouth it every chance I get bunch.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yes, Here is where I agree with you completely.

Some people consistently post "Thais are animals" "This country is corrupt" on , and on , and on ,and on...every day...in response to every single "news" article.

Folks, please focus on this concept....This gentleman and I are not talking about this specific case. We are pointing to the definition of insanity "To repeat a behavior and expect a different outcome."

You must be insane to continue to wake up every day in a place you hate..and then stay!!! The Thailand you live in is SO different than the Thailand I live in.

Example: Yesterday i was at JJ market...weaving thruogh the crowd, reached for phone, and dropped three 1,000 baht notes. I never new it...just kept walking....They barely hit the ground before a 24 year old Thai girl returned them. ( *Sigh* waiting for some ridiculous reply form the peanut gallery that somehow makes this nice story stink...i don't know how you will make it a bad thing...but i know you will..)

Question haters - "When are you leaving???"

Your point is well taken. I think the vast majority of Thai people are wonderful. I consistently run into thoughtful, kind, honest people. We are simply referring to the vast majority of the police, politicians, government officials, mayors, councilmen, parliamentarians, and the military. There is a small percentage of Thai business people, jet ski operators, motorcycle rental places, etc., that run scams, and give everyone a bad name. The issue here is that if the country had competent police, who cared about anything other than money in their pocket, many of these scams would cease to exist. That is what angers so many of us. Nobody but us farengs seem to care about these things. I refer to this as massive social decay, on an unprecedented scale. It is happening right before our eyes. That does not mean I do not love the place. Just would like to see it improve a little bit, on a few levels.

Funniest post of the thread. Goes to show how low the bar is for posting on web forums these days. People just make stuff up and there are no consequences. Sadder are the gullible ones that believe this baloney.

I know someone that knows someone from an informed source. Yeah, people are going to believe you instead of published data because of your "informed source."

But I am not calling you a nitwit because that would get me a warning and the post deleted any way.

So I am not calling you a nitwit.

It is OK, call me a nitwit, if you feel compelled. Spend your life living in denial, if you feel compelled. My informed source happens to be a GM at a major hotel in Samui, and he gets the true occupancy figures every month from the thai tourism board. Believe me, they have no reason to lie about this, and neither do I. Wake up, and smell the social decay.

Settled then.

A friend of a friend, who knows someone in the Thai government told you.

Must be true.

The tourism industry is dying on the vine, and the TOT continues to spin out the false figures. An informed source told me that the island wide occupancy rate in Koh Samui in June was 20%! That is the lowest rate in the past 20 years. Something is happening, in a big way, and every Thai I talk to has their head in the sand, in regard to the issues.

Expats and "informed" sources have been saying this same stuff now for many many years but Thai Tourism is actually doing incredibly well considering the global economy and the current strength of the baht. Thailand has incredible beaches, wonderful historical sights, is inexpensive, has very good accommodations, has great service and great people ... at least this is the case for actual tourists as opposed to those coming here to behave like morons and believe Pattaya is what Thailand is about.

Could you please share your informed sources with me? I know several GM's at major hotels, and they all tell the same story. They tell me the arrival figures are "cooked", and the occupancy rates are lower than ever. There are thousands of tourist related businesses folding. Do you not see that? Do you talk to anyone? Have you traveled to Phuket, Pattaya, or Samui lately? Thousands have gone out of business already. What universe do you live in?

Yes, it is all a conspiracy (tourist figures, the full beaches, all the white faces, the international arrival figures, international figures for top tourist destinations ...) against you and your negative outlook and views.

No matter what you want to believe, Thailand has not been hit by the global economy melt down as many other tourist destinations despite the strength of the baht and weakening of other currencies .... Somebody like you who surely believes (wishes) Thailand would be crippled by a huge loss in tourism should consider Thailand unemployment rate continues to trend down and is currently about 0.5%.

Edited by Nisa

What a load of BS.

Hospital would have checked and retained his passport...they do this as guarantee until full payment is made. If his visa was due to expire they would have noticed this and advised him. There is an immigration office in Pattaya-Bangkok hospital but its opening hours are very limited. Hospital would have given him evidence of hospitalisation and told him to go to immigration not police....He did just about everything wrong and/or didn't listen to advice given to him....

He got what he deserved for being stupid.....

Oh my goodness, thank god you made it out of here alive! Never mind, I'll stay on a bit and keep an eye on things!

:)

So, the Swede was not unfamiliar with TH, stayed longer time here before already and did not know, that you in case of Overstay,

best go to a border and leave the country.

Pay the fine and talk there about possibilitys not to pay it because of his Hospitalisation?

Sorry for him,but he should have known better.whistling.gif

The Swede said-

I did not know that Thailand was so dangerous. I still lived there previously for ten years and was no novice. I want to warn others. The police were just looking for my money, says Kent Melmblom.

This story sounds very fishy. You do not go to any police station to sort out overstay problems, you go to the immigration office. You pay the fine and in case of emergencies like hospital visit they will give you seven day emergency extension visa. I'd bet also the hospital would do this automatically or at least give papers for immigration to you at checkout.

Just to make sure everyone is clear here: Immigration IS the Thai Police. Same Same.

Yes, they are both part of the Interior Ministry but have different jurisdictions and handle a visa overstay in very different manners. Anyone with an overstay should head to the airport or nearest immigration office (if have legit reason) and stay well clear of the regular Thai police.

Sounds nasty.... But for some reason, I can't help but think some pieces were left out of this story, perhaps a history of overstays, or something else...

mmmm...Possibly. His last mistake was going to the police instead of immigration. 10 years in Thailand you'd think he'd know that...

But, still a horrible ordeal, just keep him until he paid a "fair" bribe. Miracle Thailand. jap.gif

Exactly! Why would you ever go to the police if you have an over stay? Another poster had it right, get on an airplane and pay your over stay on the way out. Why was he living in Thailand on a tourist visa in the first place? He was old enough for a retirement visa...

$24,000?

What do you suppose would happen in all of your home countries if you walked into a police station and announced that you were an illegal alien?

In my country? The USA? They actually used to give you home mortgages. The government still gives you an earned income tax credit (read: cash stipend) for all of your children, legal or illegal, real or fake. You also enter into the census for purposes of political redistricting, so that you sort of receive political representation based on your racial identity. Your children entitle you, as an illegal alien head of household, to acquire, distribute and spend all welfare funds, including WIC, food stamps, housing, etc. And if you're in a couple of Texas border towns, the official language is even in your homegrown Spanish, if you're from a latin country. In other words, you get everything but the key to the city and sometimes you get that, too, on Cinco de Mayo.

Next question.

Here is the next question: Do you believe that the individual featured in the OP should have been offered a home mortgage in Thailand?

Why not? It was a "success" for a few in the US. http://money.cnn.com...gal_immigrants/

This really wouldn't be a good idea for Thailand's tax payers, No country can afford this kind of largess. Unfortunately in America all this is being done on the backs of the American Tax Payers. That is the 49% of Middle and Upper Class tax payers who still pay taxes. The poor not only don't pay taxes in America they get a "stipend" called an "Earned income tax credit" as the other poster mentioned. In America illegal immigrants who overstay their visa's get free cell phones too. It's outrageous http://immigrationcounters.com/ The contrast between how your treated in America if youi overstay your visa and how your treated in Thailand is an Amazing one. 555 Amazing Thailand. It really would become "Miracle Thailand" if Thailand adopted even one or two of America's immigration policies. Thy way foreigners are treated in Thailand is a disgrace and Thailand should be ashamed of itself. I'm not suggesting they do what America has done but I do think the severe measure taken against this man make the country look barbaric.