Best Bargains In Phuket

madmitch

A couple of days ago I went to Kata Big Rock to use the pool. It's a large pool, perfect for laps (and not really suitable for kids!) and at 100 baht per person is excellent value.

As most of the threads on the Phuket forum are generally pretty negative I thought I'd start a positive one so that members can tell us of the best bargains in Phuket for both tourists and expats.

No freebies, we all know about beaches, viewpoints etc., but bars, restaurants, shops, attractions, anything else.

So I'll start with the above pool plus the oft-mentioned Kangaroo Bar on Soi Bangla, not the cheapest in Phuket but for the location it can't be beaten.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A shop in Rawia near where we live, they also have a shop in Kata/Karon

At the end of the high season they take all of there left over stock from kata and sell it of cheap in Rawai

Then restock the shop in Kata

All womens swimsuits 100Baht as a example and they sell out of stock in hours

Super-Cheap is a great department store for everything including western foods.- whole bean coffee for 250 baht a half kilo, cereals, pastas, condiments, etc..

It also has the best selection of Thai crafts at very good prices. It s a Thai style department store where you can buy just about anything from plastic kitchen ware to power tools, make up, stationery, even liquor and a pharmacy that sells all kinds of drugs, syringes, supplements- bandages etc etc etc all priced very well .

BUT it is not air conditioned in the main sections

( the Pharmacy and computer section are ) so go early, on a cloudy day and never on a weekend.

Located on the main route into Phuket Town, Route 402 on the right, (heading south ) and is south of Bypass Rd by 3 or 4 k.

It is across from the new bus station and the GoodYear tyre store and next to an Esso.

Edited by TigerWan

At the end of the high season they take all of there left over stock from kata and sell it of cheap in Rawai

Just a rumour of course but I have heard that an enterprising farang has opened a shop right next to the airport selling all sorts of self defense items such as gumshields ,pick handles ,base ball bats etc, just to ward off the usual rip off merchants who may attack en mass any farang who refuses to pay for the exorbitant tuk tuk fares or imaginary damage to motor cycles and jet ski's!! Edited by Colin Yai

50m Olympic swimming pool at Saphan Hin (not far from Immigration)

Can someone update on the used to go there regularly for lap swimming, understand it was closed for redevelopment earlier this year?

Used to cost 80b entry fee, 40b if a member of a swim club - my Phuket Lifeguards shirt worked for that; daytime during the week often only 2 or three other adults, occasional school groups but generally quiet and under-used.

SuperCheap - family with a restaurant near our home in Chalong went there every Sunday evening and I'd tag along, get their supplies for the week then dinner at a big 'cook your own' restaurant with cooker mid-table, an all-you-can-eat place, cheap and good food.

SuperCheap itself is an experience, they'd have three shopping lists and we'd split up like a military operation, lots to see. Tropical fish for displays, fish for eating; car and motorbike parts . . . something for everyone.

Again need a price update (we moved April '10) but renting kayaks at Yanui cost 100b/hr, just over the hill at Hai Harn 200 and 300b/hr, cheaper at Yanui for renting snorkel gear too, ideal location for families/beginners. And they used to insist on wearing lifejackets.

and some pretty pics

Just a rumour of course but I have heard that an enterprising farang has opened a shop right next to the airport selling all sorts of self defense items such as gumshields ,pick handles ,base ball bats etc, just to ward off the usual rip off merchants who may attack en mass any farang who refuses to pay for the exorbitant tuk tuk fares or imaginary damage to motor cycles and jet ski's!!

What is that to do about best bargains in Phuket :unsure:

Just a rumour of course but I have heard that an enterprising farang has opened a shop right next to the airport selling all sorts of self defense items such as gumshields ,pick handles ,base ball bats etc, just to ward off the usual rip off merchants who may attack en mass any farang who refuses to pay for the exorbitant tuk tuk fares or imaginary damage to motor cycles and jet ski's!!

I believe it is called trolling!

Just thought I would write something positive about the negative aspects of holidaying in Phuket!,LOL.

Just thought I would write something positive about the negative aspects of holidaying in Phuket!,LOL.

I hope you are not one of the people who come to Thailand once or twice a year on a cheap package holiday, drinking

cheap booze and enjoying bar ladies company and think they know a lot about Thailand

There again you could be a troll as mentioned before on this thread :whistling:

Can someone update on the used to go there regularly for lap swimming, understand it was closed for redevelopment earlier this year?

Used to cost 80b entry fee, 40b if a member of a swim club - my Phuket Lifeguards shirt worked for that; daytime during the week often only 2 or three other adults, occasional school groups but generally quiet and under-used.

and some pretty pics

I was there few months ago cost me 20tbh , speak thai and the price go down maybe ;)

^ thinking about it, maybe it was 40 or 20b

is it still a 50m pool?

A couple of years ago there was a suggestion to make it more family-friendly by cutting it to an 8-lane 25m pool, adding a walkway/barrier and making the remaining pool shallow and better suited to children.

as always - I have pics! - kids water safety training at Saphan Hin pool, Sept 2009

Edited by Atmos

Although it's not specific, I'll add the hotels and guesthouses that bring their prices down to a very affordable level during the low season. You can get a four star hotel for not much more than 1,000 baht on some of the late booking sites and for the real cheapies dorm beds for 150 baht.

Uptown restaurant in Phuket Town. Great menu with dishes rarely seen anywhere else, and average 70/80 baht for good quality and fresh food. Apologies if this sounds like a restaurant review, it isn't. But for bargain food in Phuket Town, very difficult to beat.

For those that are aghast at the high prices in the "markets" of Patong, take a 10 minute ride down the road to Karon. On Patak is the Karon Bazaar. Go there during low season or when the rush of tourists is gone for the day and you can usually purchase the same merchandise available in Patong for 10-25% less at a minimum.

The guy who sells fried chicken and sticky rice at 0600 everyday in front of the 7-11 on the main road in Kamala. Best fried chicken I have ever had. And it's cheap.:D

OMG that fried chicken. I get it twice a week and is major detriment to my figure- Southern Muslim ladies recipe, just like moms from Alabama, 5 sections of breast for 90 baht . GAWD

Uptown restaurant in Phuket Town. Great menu with dishes rarely seen anywhere else, and average 70/80 baht for good quality and fresh food. Apologies if this sounds like a restaurant review, it isn't. But for bargain food in Phuket Town, very difficult to beat.

I'd be interested to know what dishes are rarely seen anywhere else :)

sanuk

and some pretty pics

I was there few months ago cost me 20tbh , speak thai and the price go down maybe ;)

I was there a few months ago too and it was still closed, as it has been for a least the past 6 months.

Earlier on in the year when it was open it was 20 baht for everyone. (10 baht for children)

Last month I checked again......looks like nothing has been done yet......there is now a new Youth Sports Centre Development

proposal for Saphan Hin...so I wouldn't hold my breathe.

sanuk

I'd be interested to know what dishes are rarely seen anywhere else :)

sanuk

There's a couple of chicken and cashew dishes, one in particular with crispy noodles that I haven't come across elsewhere, or at least with the same quality of preparation and presentation. That's only an example of course.

Suwai Restaurant in P.Town is very good value for money.

Amazing food, great service and pleasant atmosphere.

Turn left at the Family Mart on Ratsada (its one way so walk) about 100M on the right.

Must try: Mai Tai and their Beef salad!

Edited by Kernow86

I gotta give a big props to KOPI http://www.kopidephuket.com/ theres at least 2 in phuket town ive noticed.

Best REAL ice coffee shake on the island and at 50 or 60 baht fare priced. Other varieties of coffee/tea available of course. Great hybrid fusion thai/chinese/misc food menu is rad otherwise havent had a bad thing yet. Recommend the deep fried crab balls, or curry roti. Id go more often if it was closer to my house!

I hope you are not one of the people who come to Thailand once or twice a year on a cheap package holiday, drinking

cheap booze and enjoying bar ladies company and think they know a lot about Thailand

There again you could be a troll as mentioned before on this thread :whistling:

Nah My friend been living here full time in Issan (buriram) since Nov 04 but been all over Thailand from Had Yai in the South to Chang Ri in the North ,even been to Phuket 3 times , the last time showed me how times had changed for the worse since I first went there in 92 ,not only does one read about the many scams and tourists being assaulted but in many cases the police are "in on it " too , anyway the post was just meant as a light hearted joke, in view of the well deserved bad publicity Phuket has been receiving over the last year or so. ;)

For those that are aghast at the high prices in the "markets" of Patong, take a 10 minute ride down the road to Karon. On Patak is the Karon Bazaar. Go there during low season or when the rush of tourists is gone for the day and you can usually purchase the same merchandise available in Patong for 10-25% less at a minimum.

Naka Markets in Phuket town actually posts the prices on their merchandise....probably 50% cheaper than most other "markets" on the island.

For restaurants one of the best value going is "farang" restaurant at Cherng Talay. A couple of dishes, a beer and a soft drink was 330 baht, and tasty too. Ive been there at least half a dozen times and its allways good.....Ive heard the one near big C is good too

Suwai Restaurant in P.Town is very good value for money.

Amazing food, great service and pleasant atmosphere.

Turn left at the Family Mart on Ratsada (its one way so walk) about 100M on the right.

Must try: Mai Tai and their Beef salad!

you know ratsada road is about 50km and has over 30 family mart? it goes further than you think