Expats -- If You Had A Million Dollars, Would You Stay In Thailand?

Jingthing

Millon Dollars! Poll is for expats living in Thailand only, thanks  

202 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's always amusing to see poor boys salivating with envy :lol:

Whats more amusing is that most genuine people that have.....don't tell anybody......except those with bad taste of course.

Many, of the more humble variety, donate quietly to their local Wat on a regular basis.:rolleyes:

Good standing....and all that.;)

Whats more amusing is that most genuine people that have.....don't tell anybody......except those with bad taste of course.

Many, of the more humble variety, donate quietly to their local Wat on a regular basis.:rolleyes:

How do you achieve 'good standing' if no one is aware of your efforts.

A quiet, even smug, Self-satisfaction perhaps.

That's the beauty of this activity, my friend....

The self-absorbed attention is not necessary.

Some just don't understand.;)

A quiet, even smug, Self-satisfaction perhaps.

God knows...

Anyway, doing it for good standing is like wearing a Rolex.

The benefit is in doing it for the monks or the poor people.

Camels and needles.

If it doesn't hurt, its not giving.

SC

.....is like wearing a Rolex.

So you guys out there, just takes off from your Rolex as many watch band links from the metal bracelet until it hurts and you will get the whole feeling of "giving", thanks SC :D

i fully agree that my life would be completely changed having a million dollars because i would be forced to live like a pauper. <_<

You would have to fire your tri-lingual, stock broker/gardener for incompetence. :huh:

Totally off topic, but I had a tri-lingual dog, he understood German, English and Thai, all equally well. So not sure why a tri-lingual gardener would be such a big deal - some learn more easily than others, as my dog clearly shows ;)

Huh wonders never cease, me too, though her third language was sign... Her ashes are sitting here next to me on my bookshelf BTW.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Why not? Money has little to do with what I enjoy and the people I spend time with. I can only sit on one chair at a time, sleep in one bed at a time and eat one meal at a sitting. I'm happier sitting around a campfire with good friends than sitting in a 5 star hotel with maids and servents carrying out my wishes.

Really? Are the ladies you always make mention of all for free?? Having money doesn't mean you have to flaunt it by spending it on 5 star hotels and servants....

No, they are not free, but very little in life is. But, because I have simple tastes I have enough to live the life I enjoy for as long as I am physically able. My three young ladies are more than enough to keep me happy and if I had more money then I'd give them more, but as it is now they all seem satisfied. I can go fishing when I want and wherever I want. And, I prefer doing things myself rather than having others do it for me. Like Ulysses, if I had an extra million dollars I'd just take a few more trips abroad. I'd probably fly back and forth from Thailand to Canada more often, rather than just staying for long periods of time at each place. And, I'd let my children struggle a bit before I paid off their mortgages. It is a character building process to pay for your own home on your own.

I would play golf 4 times a week on the way over priced golf courses here on Phuket, have adequate health insurance, buy a nice little cheap car and nice 250cc motorbike, I would stay in Thailand which is far better than ther UK,,,

Why not? Money has little to do with what I enjoy and the people I spend time with. I can only sit on one chair at a time, sleep in one bed at a time and eat one meal at a sitting. I'm happier sitting around a campfire with good friends than sitting in a 5 star hotel with maids and servents carrying out my wishes.

Really? Are the ladies you always make mention of all for free?? Having money doesn't mean you have to flaunt it by spending it on 5 star hotels and servants....

Warp,

do you mean one should stay in shitty guesthouses when travelling and let the old lady work her àss off doing chores around the home instead of making it easier for her employing a maid and a cook, and you mow the lawn yourself instead of having a gardener that the heirs can enjoy a better life one you conk off? :o GIVE ME A BREAK! <_<

much wiser is: "FLY FIRST CLASS BECAUSE YOUR HEIRS WILL!" :whistling:

p.s. having made money and spending it according to ones demands and whims is not "flaunting" but a dàmmn given right by godess Fortuna, Karma, Kismet or you name it. that goes for the house you live, the car you drive, the jewelry your wife wears, the food you enjoy and last not least for the wine you drink and the cigars you smoke.

Ian,

you are entitled to enjoy a campfire and share with friends a can of baked beans. personally i prefer an airconditioned environment and eat baked beans... as long as they are accompanied with other goodies i like :lol:

Aside of the fact that half a million US isn't really a lot of money these days, its my experience that those who do have the big bucks are the last to talk about it.

and those that do crave the attention because that is the only way they can get it...

God knows...

Anyway, doing it for good standing is like wearing a Rolex.

The benefit is in doing it for the monks or the poor people.

Camels and needles.

SC

"If it doesn't hurt, its not giving." - sorry SC have to disagree, "if it doesn't help it isn't giving" perhaps, but if I do not want my old sofa and I give it away to some poor family that sits on the floor for want of the cost of some seating, then it is still 'giving' if I donate it to them - and hopefully much appreciated.

"If it doesn't hurt it's not Masachism"

The curse of the Nouveau riche is flaunting their money - old money knows how to use it, how to wear it and how to make it work for them and not for an advertisment in its self. Old money can wear aran jumpers with holes at the elbows, fishing waders and a deer stalker covered in fly hooks and still look classy.

Edited by wolf5370

Warp,

do you mean one should stay in shitty guesthouses when travelling and let the old lady work her àss off doing chores around the home instead of making it easier for her employing a maid and a cook, and you mow the lawn yourself instead of having a gardener that the heirs can enjoy a better life one you conk off? :o GIVE ME A BREAK! <_<

much wiser is: "FLY FIRST CLASS BECAUSE YOUR HEIRS WILL!" :whistling:

p.s. having made money and spending it according to ones demands and whims is not "flaunting" but a dàmmn given right by godess Fortuna, Karma, Kismet or you name it. that goes for the house you live, the car you drive, the jewelry your wife wears, the food you enjoy and last not least for the wine you drink and the cigars you smoke.

Ian,

you are entitled to enjoy a campfire and share with friends a can of baked beans. personally i prefer an airconditioned environment and eat baked beans... as long as they are accompanied with other goodies i like :lol:

No, there's a significant difference between "shitty guesthouses" and "5 star hotels", there's a lot of nice places to stay in between those 2.. Yes I do see many things wrong with having EVERYTHING done for you, I don't see much wrong with two people in a relationship doing occasionally shitty work around the house TOGETHER. Like Ian says about his children, bonds are grown from struggling a bit which is why so many high end couples get divorced so easily they never face challenges together and are both too busy doing their own self involved things and never build those bonds that sustain them through the tough times and the good times so even as you say it takes too much work to try in the relationship, it's easier just to quit it..

I rather prefer getting out and having a good sweat mowing the lawn with the smell of fresh grass and clean air (when I'm back home that is) it keeps me in good shape and is a catharsis of sorts why should my heirs have it so easy that's what wrong with the world today as it is a sense of entitlement and not working and earning anything you have..Why do you think so many of the rich youths these days get into so much trouble with drugs and alcohol addiction, they have no values, everything is easy come easy go and someone else will wipe my backside for me so why have any responsibility for my actions?

I'm with Ian on much of his thoughts but I do think there is a medium ground between "5 star hotels" and "shitty guest houses". Sorry but for you to claim some sort of special "kismet from the Gods" is really low class which just proves having lots of money doesn't buy one any if one doesn't have it to begin with....

Edited by WarpSpeed

As a travel writer I was often offered a fancy room in a resort. But, because I often traveled in my own camper I was quite happy where I was, There was no reason to mess up a room just so I could experience it. All I needed to do was look in the rooms and observe what was offered to make my report. Like I said, I have simple tastes and don't need much more. I just don't like waste and I think excess in anything is waste. If money was no object I would probably fly first class just for the comfort on long flights, but for a short trip I don't need luxury. However, it does give me pleasure to help others, so if I had more I'd probably give more away. I once had a surveilance salesman try to sell me a security system for my home. I asked him "What for?" I said anything someone wanted bad enough to steal it I would happily give away... if they asked. To point out what I meant I offered the salesman anything he wanted in my home. And, I meant it. He left probably thinking I was crazy, but I really meant it. I"m not going to be around for that much longer and anything I have will be given away or sold when I did. My kids can have anything they want right now.

• Like 1

i fully agree that my life would be completely changed having a million dollars because i would be forced to live like a pauper. <_<

You would have to fire your tri-lingual, stock broker/gardener for incompetence. :huh:

Totally off topic, but I had a tri-lingual dog, he understood German, English and Thai, all equally well. So not sure why a tri-lingual gardener would be such a big deal - some learn more easily than others, as my dog clearly shows ;)

Anyway, a million dollars isn't a huge amount in Thailand but it would be nice and if Naam would like to offer me a million from his pocket change I wouldn't say no :P

no problem SBK if you wait till monday afternoon when i will most probably carry a several millions in my right trouser pocket. the reason is that we celebrate since 12 years mid of september the 49th birthday of Mrs Naam. this year we celebrate in Hanoi, Viet Nam where 1 US-Dollar buys 20,300 Vietnamese Dong.

you are also cordially invited for drinks on sep 14 evening in the bar of the Silk Path Hotel, Hanoi where we do NOT celebrate Mrs Naam's 61st birthday.

Sorry but for you to claim some sort of special "kismet from the Gods" is really low class which just proves having lots of money doesn't buy one any if one doesn't have it to begin with....

Warp,

would you please be kind enough and translate that in a language i understand? i've tried hard but have no idea what you are trying to say. even Mrs Naam, who is a native english speaker, has no clue whatsoever.

:huh:

Aside of the fact that half a million US isn't really a lot of money these days, its my experience that those who do have the big bucks are the last to talk about it.

and those that do crave the attention because that is the only way they can get it...

Depending on the type of attention. The variety that develops naturally or the manufactured kind.

Sorry but for you to claim some sort of special "kismet from the Gods" is really low class which just proves having lots of money doesn't buy one any if one doesn't have it to begin with....

Warp,

would you please be kind enough and translate that in a language i understand? i've tried hard but have no idea what you are trying to say. even Mrs Naam, who is a native english speaker, has no clue whatsoever.

Yes, exactly...

It is kind of sad when you see these wealthy Thais with their outrageously tacky furniture and designs in their homes....thinking they are stylish.....even sadder when you see foreigners do it when they should know better...but don't.

Money cannot buy good friends or good taste...

If someone gave me a million in cash I think I would take it to Darwin and play a single game of 2 up.....heads or tails....I didn't have it yesterday and if I lost it, I would not have it tomorrow....I would still have what I have and a 50% chance of walking away with $2mil....not to bad odds in my book......then I'd buy some tacky furniture and burn it.

If someone gave me a million in cash I think I would take it to Darwin and play a single game of 2 up.....heads or tails....I didn't have it yesterday and if I lost it, I would not have it tomorrow....I would still have what I have and a 50% chance of walking away with $2mil....not to bad odds in my book......then I'd buy some tacky furniture and burn it.

Well, where I travel we DO burn the furniture. When we forget to bring a fold up chair to sit around the camp fire we sit on the fire wood and hope someone brings a power saw to cut another one..

Eve_camping_2.jpg

It is kind of sad when you see these wealthy Thais with their outrageously tacky furniture and designs in their homes....thinking they are stylish.....even sadder when you see foreigners do it when they should know better...but don't.

LOL, your post begs for a harsh reply, but I will hold back...

Warp,

Yes, exactly...

a comprehensive explanation. thanks for going through that much trouble :ph34r:

now looking forward to read more essays with topics "i'm simple man. if suddenly i had a million dollars i would..."

-donate the money to the successor of Mother Theresa,

-have no idea how much that is,

-still not sit at more than one campfire at the same time,

-convert that in Chang and Leo, sell the empty cans and be a rich man,

-close the outhouse and build an indoor bathroom,

-replace the pink, blue, green, red tiles in my living room with granite or marble,

-buy a new lawnmower,

-never tell anybody that i acquired taste by reading the book "how to acquire taste",

-run the ceiling fans day and night not worried about the electricity bill,

-buy a fridge because i'm p*ssed off by drinking a cold Chang sitting on the steps of a 7/11,

-sell the Honda Wave and buy a luxury 4-door limousine. perhaps... a Honda Jazz,

-go to a pub in Darwin and buy a few Foster's for my former mates,

-stop bitching about people who also have a million dollars or more.

:lol:

Well, where I travel we DO burn the furniture. When we forget to bring a fold up chair to sit around the camp fire we sit on the fire wood and hope someone brings a power saw to cut another one..

Eve_camping_2.jpg

Strange ain't it ..the need for some humans to leave their comfortable homes and go sit in the bush someplace and sleep in a box.

....when I used to sail in BC we would be out in the rain wet, uncomfortable etc sleeping down in a fiberglass cave at night and I used to wonder &lt;deleted&gt; am I doing this for...all good fun though..

re the million..probably buy an old wooden ketch for a few thousand and spend my time piddling about with it...the rest I would just have to throw at the marine supply store...lol

post-36430-0-31682200-1315610999_thumb.j