Electricity Bill Doubled The Past Three Months

Hey people

for the past three months i am getting electricity bills of 10000 plus baht per month i paid more then 30000 baht for just three months nothing has changed

Before 3 months ago the bill used to be only 3000-4000 B range now more then 10000 a month nothing has changed

One bedroom ac running only 10-11 hours a day one fan and 2 fridge 24/7

one led tv running 4-5 hours a day

and a macbook pro Running 8-9 hours daily

one blu ray player

Few energy saver bulbs for lighting

i live in sukhumvit soi 31 bangkok

any of you experiencing this?

I live in buriram and first bill i got was 3500 baht and i couldnt believe why so much... Had an old aircon in the bedroom that i thought was the problem so i changed it.. Guess what my bills are now 2000 baht... so just shows it was a faulty aircon

Advice I've read before, is to turn off the electricity supply at your main circuit breaker box, and check to see if the meter is still running. If so, someone is tapping into your supply at your expense.

Have you retained your old bills, if so check the number of units used and the per unit cost. Are you paying MEA direct or via your landlord (increased his rate).

The above advice is good, also if the meter does stop try the same thing mid evening and see if any other units lights go out.

Regular cleaning of the Aircon is required, also where are you staying? renting or do you own?

I have two rooms and two meters, one in the bedroom where the aircon is on every night from 10 until around 8am, also a water heater for hot or warm showers, and a TV that is occasionally on.

The other room, the main items used are a TV, DVD unit, Microwave, Washing machine, computer 24/7, aircon on for about 6 hours a week, electric fan on all day if we are home.

For both rooms the bill is never more than 1100per month, I have the aircons serviced every 4 months

Edited by beano2274

Did I read this right 10,000 baht a month for electricity. I donot pay that in 2 years total. It would seem impossible to me to have a bill like that. I have friend who owns a internet shop, He has 30 computers going all day plus 2 big aircons,with people going in and out all day,plus lights on all day, his bill doesnot even reach 8,000. Also have a friend with a bakery ovens are electric 4 hugh ovens working all day everyday plus aircon going steady in other areas of the bakery to keep it cool for customers Thiers also seldom reaches 8,000. You must be supplying the whole neighbourhood.

What kind of residence? Apartment, house or condo?

Its Actually a house in mooban and I pay directly no middlemen

Call in the MEA electrician to check the state of your meter and wire cables, esp if the cables running into the house are laid underground.

I suspect the meter reader made an error and input incorrect data in to the hand held computer that generates the invoice. If you have copies of previous invoices that were normal you can compare this to the new ones and look at the meter to determine if might have happened. Or the meter has a serious mechanical problem and its not working correctly.

• 7 years later...

I find that the most common problem to be the Air Con. If you ever see an air con freezing up or dripping water, have it checked, it's a bad sign. Have it cleaned regularly with a company that pays attention to the cleaning inside and outside units especially the top of the blower (internal) unit. One of the most common problems is the relay or contactor being stuck shut and the compressor running continuously. to check whether that is the problem observe if the compressor on the outside goes off if you raise the temperature on the remote after a few minutes. Also you should hear a click every so often from either the blower unit or the compressor then the compressor will turn off immediately. If it is a unit older than ten years and you have a problem with the relay or contactor then it may not be worth the repair, unless it is normally efficient. Regular maintenance is a must especially with the bedroom unit as you breathe that air on recirculation while asleep. Clean the filters monthly. Unit, every 3 months if used regularly.                                   

Edited by Sumarianson