Desire And Karma

RickThai

Hello To All,

Yesterday (the day after Sep 11) I rode my bicycle to a local park, where they had held a 9/11 Remembrance event the day before.

I went to the 9/11 memorial (several bronze statues with the names of the victims) and walked around them while looking at the various offerings that people had left at the bases of the monuments.

I was doing walking meditation, and was feeling a deep, calm, touched with a bit of sadness for the victims, and touch of happiness for the people who left the various offerings.

Then, at one monument, I noticed someone had left a half-sized image of the face of Buddha. It was a beautiful piece of work. It appeared to be made of either ceramic, or perhaps even jade. It was a beautiful, translucent green color and the image captured the tranquility of the Lord Budda perfectly.

I am ashamed to say, that I wanted to take that image home badly.

There was no one around, and I had on a backpack, that would easily allow me to slip the image into it, so there was no way to get caught.

Of course, I immediately knew that taking an offering left for the victims of 9/11 by some kind person, would be the worst kind of karma, so I felt bad, offered a silent prayer, and moved on.

My desire for the offering completely destroyed my tranquility, and I soon left the memorial.

Today, I rode by the memorial and quickly rode by, as I ddin't want to be tempted by the offering (provided someone else hadn't already took it).

Although, I know I did the right thing by not taking image, I still feel the desire to have taken it.

Since "intent" behind actions are more relevant to one's karma, than the actions themselves, I am struggling on how to reconcile my desire to possess the image.

It really was a quite beautiful image of the Lord Buddha.

If anyone can help me resolve this spiritual quandry, I would be very thankful.

Respectfully,

Rick

Hi Rick.

What I've learned is that Mindfulness or Self Awareness of the mind (as well as the breathe, body, feelings, and our interaction with the world) is our practice.

What I would say to you is to observe, as you did, your thoughts, and the subsequent feelings.

There is no shame in having thoughts and feelings.

Whilst we are unenlightened these things are normal.

The beauty of Mindfulness allows you (the observer) to know how you think and feel, whilst maintaining control due to your awareness.

If you didn't practice, there would be no observer and you might have acted on your thoughts.

Your conditioned self will be predisposed to certain ways of thinking (greed, aversion, delusion) with consequent feelings.

Mindfulness will allow you to know your conditioning and in time help you to deal with your thoughts.

Continue to be mindful of your thoughts and feelings, your breathe & body, and your interactions with the world.

In time subtle changes will take place rendering your thoughts as just that, something to be observed without attachment until they slip away.

Edited by rockyysdt

Here's my take on it (and I find ethics perhaps the most difficult branch of philosophy):

RickThai, the image was not yours and, having been left in a special place for memorials, it wasn't really public property either. Its place was there; hence it would have been wrong to take it home. There was no invitation on it to do so.

Whether others took it or carelessly threw it out is not your concern. It was placed in that place in honour of the dead. If the donor was worried that someone might come and take it or misuse it then they were perhaps unwise to put it there, but maybe they were not concerned about that. If they think it's stealing to take it away, then they must bear some responsibility for creating a thief.

In this case, probably the importance of the image was not the image itself, but what it signified in that context. Actually, I'm not sure what signification was intended, but the image itself, like everything, is impermanent. It wouldn't really matter if that particular image was removed; its signification depended on its location at the monument. But, as I said, it was not yours to take home, so I think you were right not to. Karmically speaking, I think some more good seeds have been deposited in your store-consciousness. :)

Since it is not your offering, it is not yours to remove. I hope that park personnel have some procedure for how to dispose of sacred objects left in the park other than throwing them in the trash.

Nor should you feel bad about the fact that you coveted it and wanted to take it. You did not so you did not commit the actual act. You did however, fall prey to craving, one of the root mental infractions. Rest and feel assured that proves only that you are human.

You need to let go of the statute externally. But also, and more importantly, you need to let go of your response to the situation. The attachment you have to the insight into your craving nature is far more serious than thinking about taking it or actually doing it.

My suggestions would be to visualize yourself making an offering of the statute to all the Buddhas; make the offering yours mentally. Then dedicate the merit to all sentient beings. Finally, pray that all the beneficial wishes made by the person who left the Buddha head will be fulfilled. In other words, apply the antidote to craving, which is extensive generosity.

Here's my take on it (and I find ethics perhaps the most difficult branch of philosophy):

Whether others took it or carelessly threw it out is not your concern. It was placed in that place in honour of the dead. If the donor was worried that someone might come and take it or misuse it then they were perhaps unwise to put it there, but maybe they were not concerned about that. If they think it's stealing to take it away, then they must bear some responsibility for creating a thief.

How can the donor be responsible for creating a thief?

We are each responsible for our own actions. If the OP had taken the object I'm sure he would have been the recipient of bad Karma. Though you could argue one has nothing to do with the other. but how it is perceived in the mind, i.e. Is it right to take that which is not yours? I applaud the OP for not reacting negatively and controlling his desire. May your Karma be a good example.

How can the donor be responsible for creating a thief?

We are each responsible for our own actions.

Yes, you're quite right; even if temptation is put in our way, we are responsible for our actions, even if there are mitigating circumstances.

The saying "to create a thief" may be archaic now. I don't know where it came from, but it is used in reference to people who leave things lying around. A person who is tempted thereby and steals what has been left unattended is in part a victim of the owner's carelessness. A moot point ethically, perhaps, but useful as a reminder to be responsible for our individual or collective property.

To take another example: In present times of individual assertiveness and collective censoriousness, a woman who dresses seductively may tempt some males to act irresponsibly. If that happens, is she or isn't she irresponsible? Jodie Foster and the Slutwalk people would say no. Others (if they dared) would say yes. However, to even suggest that she has any responsibility will probably bring down the full weight of liberal opinion on one's head, as well, possibly, as the regulatory powers of the state. This is another scenario for discussing whether one bears some responsibility for another's actions.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies.

Yes fabianfred, this was in the USA, and I did think that either someone would eventually take it, or the maintenance people would dispose of it some way unbefitting the image.

However, I also thought that perhaps this was just a rationalization that I would use to justify my desire, which I do believe would have been wrong.

Today, I rode back by the memorial, and to my surprise, the depiction of the Buddha is still there.

I looked at the tranquil image, silently reflecting the sun's light and I felt no desire to take or even touch the image. I experienced only a quiet happiness and joy to look at the image, still in its place of offering.

What changed in the last couple of days, was that I had spent time thinking about how the individual who placed the offering must be a very kind and generous soul.

Someone, whose compassion must be very great, and someone, who I should respect and try to emulate.

That I think was the true gift of the offering.

As to the fate of the Buddha mask, that is for Karma to decide, something that I will not play a active role in.

I will try and stop by whenever I pass the memorial (about 2 or 3 times a week) and say a blessing for the victims of 9/11 and for the individual who left the offering.

Again, thanks for all the helpful and supportive responses.

With Deep Respect,

Rick

Edited by RickThai