Are Thais Taught Anything About The World Outside Of Thailand

nong38

A lot of honest people owning up to not knowing to much about this part of the world before they came here. So what about me, I asked the question in the first place. I was pretty good at school about knowing the capitals and major cities around the world, the rivers, imports and exports. Later on whilst the Vietnam War was on, always followed that, because I wondered where else might fall in the North won and rembered being surprised when the Vietnam went into Cambodia and took on the Kymer Rouge. Do I know as much as I know about places closer to home (UK - well used to be my home ) certainly not, but have always been interested in whats going on around the globe, some more than others and I have to say have learnt a good bit more with these conversations. Since arrival here have learnt a lot more, some I am sure we would all like to change but its likely not in our power too and in the end its the choice we made, take the rough with the smooth, we cannot cherry pick, so I live and learn and bite my tongue sometimes too and hope that changes I can see to be positive will also we seen by a Thai person and that Thailand to can benefit a little.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I admit, before I got interested in it, I had no clue about South East Asian history, or Asian history for that matter. It wasn't taught when I was a kid.

That's a good, honest answer. The Thai kids are no different than you. Why is it so hard for all the loudmouths here to at least admit that?

Not quite the same though is it.

I was taught nothing of Asian history or culture before I came here, but once here I did some research, I learned how to show respect to Buddha images, Monks and Thai people in general (in public at least).

It's exactly the same, actually. If you hadn't come here, you'd know nothing about Thailand nor be interested to learn. So how do you expect the Thai kids who hadn't venture beyond the border to know?

OK, I admit, before I got interested in it, I had no clue about South East Asian history, or Asian history for that matter. It wasn't taught when I was a kid.

That's a good, honest answer. The Thai kids are no different than you. Why is it so hard for all the loudmouths here to at least admit that?

I was taught nothing of Asian history or culture before I came here, but once here I did some research, I learned how to show respect to Buddha images, Monks and Thai people in general (in public at least).

It's exactly the same, actually. If you hadn't come here, you'd know nothing about Thailand nor be interested to learn. So how do you expect the Thai kids who hadn't venture beyond the border to know?

We may not have been taught about Thai history, but we were taught a fair amount of European and American history.

As far as I can see Thai children are taught nothing about any other country and - are somehow instilled with the belief that Thailand is superior to everyone else.

I realise that EVERY country feels this way about itself, but generally they have something to back up this idea.

Edit - Foreigners coming here for a cheap life and the easy availability of women does not constitute an argument for superiority.

Edited by F1fanatic

It has been said countless times on this post already that no one here is blaming the clueless children. It is the education professionals (in the losest possible term) who mange the school and teach the children who should have had at least a faint understanding of what Hitler and 'Nazism' stood for and that it would be somewhat inappropriate to have children parading round the school in SS uniforms brandishing plastic guns.

Edited by Kananga

As far as I can see Thai children are taught nothing about any other country and - are somehow instilled with the belief that Thailand is superior to everyone else.

Have you actually read any Thai textbooks?

No -- I didn't think so.

So upon what, exactly, are you basing this ridiculous statement?

Before you turn the question back on me: yes, I have read Thai high school textbooks and helped tutor many high school and college kids.

Their textbooks DO cover world history and they do NOT -- as far as I can see -- state or imply anywhere that Thailand is "superior to everyone else". (They do, however, teach Thai kids to be proud of their history -- like kids in every country around the world are taught about their history).

Perhaps your opinion is colored by encounters with completely uneducated bumpkins who never went beyond elementary school -- or who are so dim that they remember nothing they were taught in high school.

No -- I didn't think so.

Before you turn the question back on me: yes, I have read Thai high school textbooks and helped tutor many high school and college kids.

Their textbooks DO cover world history and they do NOT -- as far as I can see -- state or imply anywhere that Thailand is "superior to everyone else". (They do, however, teach Thai kids to be proud of their history -- like kids in every country around the world are taught about their history).

Perhaps your opinion is colored by encounters with completely uneducated bumpkins who never went beyond elementary school -- or who are so dim that they remember nothing they were taught in high school.

So they cover world history, but just not the Nazi invasion of Europe and subsequent attempted eradication of an entire race of people?

No -- I didn't think so.

You're right - it is the uneducated here that have the belief that everything Thai is superior. Those educated abroad have a far better knowledge of the world.

I still don't understand though how ANY teacher would think a nazi parade is acceptable. I understand even less if a previous poster is right in saying that they think Hitler was 'good'.

No -- I didn't think so.

You're right - it is the uneducated here that have the belief that everything Thai is superior. Those educated abroad have a far better knowledge of the world.

Well..duh? Of course someone who has been abroad has a "far better knowledge of the world": at least they've seen some of it.

By the way -- that goes for non-Thais just as much as Thais.

Read my entire post again, more carefully, and then think about it for a little longer and harder.

If you still come to the conclusion that it is exactly the same, I will pray for you.

<deleted>, of course we know about Thai history. We were forced to watch that awful musical with Brynner & Kerr growing up in the 60's.

ph34r.gif

I wonder why this is such an unpleasant forum.

Three other sites which I visit frequently, rarely carry such nasty posts as those which seem to characterise ThaiVisa.

Which sites do you visit? I'm finding these discussions of this topic quite embarrassing...

Oops...it looks like the Taiwanese aren't taught anything about the outside world either.

Thailand / Taiwan...same-same?

http://news.blogs.cn...tems/?hpt=hp_c2

Golly ghosh, dont think someone in authority has been reading this do you? Or maybe someone just realized................"could do better" anyone else get those on the report?

Oops...it looks like the Taiwanese aren't taught anything about the outside world either.

I just posted the very same article on another thread. It should be apparent by now (except to the most hardened tools) that in Asia, western historical events may not have the same meaning or significance to Asians. Not just Thais, but all Asians. In other words, Asians may not be as "sufficiently offended" by some things as westerners think they should be. Not rocket science.

Doesn't give them the right to be sufficiently offensive though.

Point taken. But it's all about motive. I really don't think the kids (or their teachers) were intentionally trying to offend.

I agree, as do most people here. In fact you will be hard pressed to find anyone here who blames the kids in the slightest. However, when you run or teach at a Catholic International school (even in Thailand's second largest city) you should not only know who Hitler is, what he did to millions of people in many living people's lifetime but also that people would be offended. Common sense did not prevail in this instance, which leads onto a more worrying line of thought. In what other areas of teaching in this private school (or others round Thailand) is common sense also not being applied on a daily basis.

I just posted the very same article on another thread. It should be apparent by now (except to the most hardened tools) that in Asia, western historical events may not have the same meaning or significance to Asians. Not just Thais, but all Asians. In other words, Asians may not be as "sufficiently offended" by some things as westerners think they should be. Not rocket science.

Its a sad day when the Israeli government prevents us charicaturing and lampooning evil dictators, though.

I expect the "Hitler rants" series of youtube videos will be next, since they lampoon Hitler and portray him having a sensible discussion.

I am more concerned by the Orwellian attacks on free speech, which appear to be an attempt to sway opinion by suppression of expression rather than by discourse.

I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but we should make the most of that privilege while we have it.

SC

I agree.

No one should expect the rest of the world to respect your own "sacred cows".

Good point. I would not expect anyone to complain about being served pork or beef in the UK, nor horse in France. Other people may not be appalled by that which appalls us, nor be aware of the reason for our dismay

SC

Nothing like having the best education, finest schools, the blessed royal houses of europe and going to a fancy dress in a nazi uniform, yup but the Thais know nothing about history.

Have I ever told the story of the red headed dwarves of Narnia? or Thai Visa for that matter

prince-harry-nazi.jpg

Nothing like having the best education, finest schools, the blessed royal houses of europe and going to a fancy dress in a nazi uniform, yup but the Thais know nothing about history.

Have I ever told the story of the red headed dwarves of Narnia? or Thai Visa for that matter

prince-harry-nazi.jpg

Bet he dose not use that dry cleaners again.

Its a sad day when the Israeli government prevents us charicaturing and lampooning evil dictators, though.

I expect the "Hitler rants" series of youtube videos will be next, since they lampoon Hitler and portray him having a sensible discussion.

I am more concerned by the Orwellian attacks on free speech, which appear to be an attempt to sway opinion by suppression of expression rather than by discourse.

I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but we should make the most of that privilege while we have it.

SC

What a bizarre paranoid sentiment. Look, dude, the Israeli government, the government of a tiny nation far, far, away isn't interested in or capable of "preventing" comedic/satirical portrayals of Nazis, Hitler, etc. Au contraire, actually, Mel Brooks (The Producers -- Springtime for Hitler) is beloved among the Jews. You imagine a totally non-existent issue. Much more about your internal "logic" circuits than the government of Israel.

If you are referring to the reaction to the Nazi glorification parade in Chiang Mai, which nobody in their right mind viewed as comedic, yes a number of foreign governments including Israel did register complaints, and rightly so. Do you really see a Hitlerian Third Reich Nazi glorification parade as free speech that needs to be protected?

Edited by Jingthing

I'm not sure how the students could have been "glorifying" Naziism when they didn't even know what Naziism is.

It was just a silly dress-up day gone sour. The worst thing they're guilty of is ignorance. Tempest in a very small teapot.

I agree. Its the teachers who were at fault.

Its hard to believe that they were so ignorant that they didn't realise that the nazis are not a 'fashion icon', but a group that killed millions of people.

God help the children if the teachers are so ignorant!