Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An underpaid City Hall employee will stand up against the police/mafia?

That's asking the fox to guard the henhouse.

It's been estimated the scammers take 300,000 Bt. / day.

That's 9 million / month.

Are these numbers just made up? if NOT then what's your source, how can you make claims about the money they make?

Are these numbers just made up? if NOT then what's your source, how can you make claims about the money they make?

Any person who has spent a lot of time at the beach watching these scams and extortions can soon work it out , some days i have personally seen up to 20 scams in one day just walkin along the beach , tour groups have all been scammed in one lot that adds up to a lot of money these occur Pattaya , ko larn , jomtien.

Its big money 300.000 baht may be an underestimate.

An educated guess by watching them and reading about the scammers.

Maybe it's only 5 million a month?

So you have no evidence at all about actual amounts just fabricated numbers?

Ok, thanks for clarifying that.

• Like 1

So you have no evidence at all about actual amounts just fabricated numbers?

Ok, thanks for clarifying that.

you the tax man or something ??? of course they are estimates based on months and months of observation witness accounts and victim interviews, anyone with half a brain can work out it involves huge sums of money

that is all we can go on right now unless you have some bright idea (which I very much doubt) or you know the book keeper for the local mafia

in fact some peoples tax revenue bills are worked out on esimates - hardly rocket science

Ooooh, did that touch a nerve?

Do you ( and several other do gooders ) not have a life other than this jetski scam ( that you will never stop ), sad, REPEAT, very sad!

go rent a jetski and let us know how you get on lol I'll even pay the rental fee if you pay the damages -

Edited by Rimmer

Ooooh, did that touch a nerve?

Do you ( and several other do gooders ) not have a life other than this jetski scam ( that you will never stop ), sad, REPEAT, very sad!

go rent a jetski and let us know how you get on lol I'll even pay the rental fee if you pay the damages -

Dry em - lol

PHUKET CITY: It’s official. Following a deal signed at Phuket Provincial Hall today, Phuket jet-ski operators will now be required to get mandatory insurance for their machines.

Phuket Jet-ski Association President Anusorn Sahreh signed the deal with Saiwalee Sakornjit of Ayudhya Insurance Public Company Limited just before noon.

The event was witnessed by around 15 jet-ski operators.

Phuket Governor Wichai Phraisa-ngop was also present at the signing.

The deal will be a relief to Gov Wichai, who has been told by the Deputy Prime Minister to end the island’s infamous ‘jet-ski scam’, in which tourists who rent out jet-skis are forced to pay out large amounts of cash in compensation for alleged ‘damages’ to the machines.

The island’s 219 legally registered jet-skis now have until November 15 to sign up to one of two insurance schemes:

For 13,500 baht per year per vehicle, jet-ski hirers will be insured for up to 40,000 baht in hospital expenses and the jet-ski will be covered for up to 100,000 baht’s worth of damage.

For 9,400 baht per year, the hirer will be insured for up to 20,000 baht in expenses, while the jet-ski will be covered for damages up to 50,000 baht.

Gov Wichai told the meeting, “I understand that we’re all just doing our jobs and trying to make money to survive, so from now on please just go and do your jobs honestly.”

“Only you can take care of this problem now,” he added.

Mr Anusorn complained that hotels had erected signs telling their customers not to rent jet-skis.

“Now that we’ve all agreed to get jet-ski insurance, we ask for understanding and for people to support and promote us again,” he said.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=7884

Wait a minute.

This was reported last February, they all were insured.

"TUESDAY FEB. 28 2012

PHUKET: The problem of jet-ski disputes between operators and tourists had been solved, Phuripat Theerakulpisut, Chief of Phuket's Marine Office 5, told a meeting of the island's honorary consuls yesterday.

He said that Phuket's jet-skis were now all insured, so there was no longer a need for tourists and operators to negotiate the cost of damages when crashes occurred."

• Like 2

Wait a minute.

This was reported last February, they all were insured.

"TUESDAY FEB. 28 2012

PHUKET: The problem of jet-ski disputes between operators and tourists had been solved, Phuripat Theerakulpisut, Chief of Phuket's Marine Office 5, told a meeting of the island's honorary consuls yesterday.

He said that Phuket's jet-skis were now all insured, so there was no longer a need for tourists and operators to negotiate the cost of damages when crashes occurred."

i

Edited by StealthEnergiser

Phuket making waves as jet-skis get legal September 30, 2012 2:30:00 PM

Two weeks ago, Mr Phuripat confirmed that 286 jet-skis were the limit and that no more can be registered.

“Actually 281 jet-skis have been registered; five were not presented to us for registration. If the owners attempt to rent them out, they will be caught,” he asserted.

“Jet-skis can still be registered with the Marine Department, but not for renting to the public. If caught, they risk a fine of up to 10,000 baht,” he added.

Speaking specifically about the Bang Tao jet-ski operators, Mr Phuripat said that the local dispute between local operators and a new foreign-owned concern had been resolved and the illegal foreign-owned jet skis were no longer operating.

'The way things are at the moment is that the current agreement between the Provincial Office and the jet-ski operators is for two years and will end next July," said Mr Phuripat.

“Nearer the time we will have meeting with the Provincial Office to see the results. If the project is not successful, it can be canceled. However, all jet-ski operators have agreed to follow the regulations.”

Looking to the future, Mr Phuripat said it depended on the Phuket Governor to continue the measures and to improve them. Certainly there will be no more jet-skis without discussions with the Provincial Office.

Insurance policy details

Jet skis are required by the Marine Department to have “first class” insurance cover. Currently many rental operators are going for two policies. One to cover the mandatory requirement to insure riders and passengers, and a second covering damage to property while also providing a “reserve” should medical bills out-strip the limit of the first policy.

The TUI policy covers the jet-ski driver and one passenger for personal injury or death, and limited medical costs. Each contract will not pay more than 300,000 baht per jet-ski annually.

Death or permanent disability of rider or passenger: 100,000 baht.

Medical costs of rider or passenger: up to 15,000 baht per person.

SAGI’s insurance policy covers the same range of risks at a lower payout, but also includes third party liability and damage, including damage to the jet-ski. The contract will not pay more than a total of 200,000 baht per policy.

Death or permanent disability of rider or passenger: 50,000 baht.

Death or permanent disability of a third party: 50,000 baht.

Medical costs of rider or passenger: up to 20,000 baht per person.

Damage to third party property: up to 25,000 baht.

Damage to the jet-ski: up to 50,000 baht.

In addition to the insurance, jet-ski operators will insist that the renter sign a rental contract. These contracts are written either in English/Thai or Russian/Thai. The salient features are:

The lessee must pay the first 1,000 baht of damage.

The lessee must pay any costs not covered by the insurance.

If the lessee causes the jet-ski to sink or capsize, the lessee must pay 3,000 baht to the lessor for flushing the engine.

Where the jet ski needs repair due to a collision or accident, the lessee must pay 3,000 baht per day for loss of income to the lessor, up to a total of 15,000 baht.

The insurance is rendered in valid if passengers or drivers are drug positive or have a blood alcohol level exceeding 150 milligram

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/detail.asp?id=7884

Just back from beach. No action near Miked shopping. Only 1 ski rented out. A lot of pissed off faces and nasty figures....Further down, just before Hard Rock, business as usual...A group of 5 Thais yelling at 4 Indians and pointing out imaginary damages on 3 skies, which looked at least 10 yrs old and nasty already. 2 look-outs on the walkway which did not like me going down close up to watch....The number 30'000 fell several times and when they did not understand they showed it with their fingers.. Nothing ever changes...PF.sick.gif

Just back from beach. No action near Miked shopping. Only 1 ski rented out. A lot of pissed off faces and nasty figures....Further down, just before Hard Rock, business as usual...A group of 5 Thais yelling at 4 Indians and pointing out imaginary damages on 3 skies, which looked at least 10 yrs old and nasty already. 2 look-outs on the walkway which did not like me going down close up to watch....The number 30'000 fell several times and when they did not understand they showed it with their fingers.. Nothing ever changes...PF.sick.gif

So a tourist will still be liable/scammed for:

First 1,000.

Loss of use 15,000.

Uncovered damages.

And forced to take a drug/alcohol test.

at least now they will get scammed legally cheesy.gif

you post that 3x yoslim. ermm.gif

matter of interest, how many people here actually rents jet ski's ??

i have never done so but have rented plenty of bikes and my experience with them is, return with no damage, no problem... return damaged and expect to get shafted with an massive repair bill plus loss of rental.

TBH, I expect it is the same with jetskis but it has been so dramatized with thick stupid tourists who have smashed up a jetski and think a couple a quid will sort it out or even thicker tourists who don't check/mark damage before taking jetski out...really don't see why all the TV keyboard warriors are getting all worked up when there are more serious issues in Pattaya like the beach-chair, baht-bus, taxi-bike, mafia scams ongoing :whistling:

I'm sorry but this is just not true.

I must have seen over 100 scams go down

True maybe 2-5% had badly damaged the ski I'm sure it cost them BIG time.

Maybe another 30% minor damage usually the front bumper or very minor scuff This must cost all of a couple of hundred Baht, but have seen tourists forced to pay 20-50k thats £500-£1000, for what it essentially wear and tear.

5 times I have seen customers turn the ski over, this should be no problem this is what they are designed for NO DAMAGE but oh no of course water go in engine BIG PROBLEM seen customers pay 30K for this and ski was on the water next day.

This leaves over 50% I cant see any damage we are talking BS 10-30K a time for NO DAMAGE.

This is big money with threats of violence intimidation basically AGGRAVATED THEFT MUGGING for 10's thousands Baht.

Make no mistake it is BIG money and this is why it continues despite the bad publicity and will continue for as long as it can possibly be continued.

Yes, fully agreed. Seen 100's of them. In high season they call them back within a few minutes often and start the scam...It is beyond me how some people o these forum can defend these scumbags and try to find excuses for them. Many good people had their vacation destroyed and these low lives laugh their asses off after getting their dough. Disgusting. PF.

i have never done so but have rented plenty of bikes and my experience with them is, return with no damage, no problem... return damaged and expect to get shafted with an massive repair bill plus loss of rental.

TBH, I expect it is the same with jetskis but it has been so dramatized with thick stupid tourists who have smashed up a jetski and think a couple a quid will sort it out or even thicker tourists who don't check/mark damage before taking jetski out...really don't see why all the TV keyboard warriors are getting all worked up when there are more serious issues in Pattaya like the beach-chair, baht-bus, taxi-bike, mafia scams ongoing whistling.gif

Maybe another 30% minor damage usually the front bumper or very minor scuff This must cost all of a couple of hundred Baht, but have seen tourists forced to pay 20-50k thats £500-£1000, for what it essentially wear and tear.

5 times I have seen customers turn the ski over, this should be no problem this is what they are designed for NO DAMAGE but oh no of course water go in engine BIG PROBLEM seen customers pay 30K for this and ski was on the water next day.

This leaves over 50% I cant see any damage we are talking BS 10-30K a time for NO DAMAGE.

This is big money with threats of violence intimidation basically AGGRAVATED THEFT MUGGING for 10's thousands Baht.

Make no mistake it is BIG money and this is why it continues despite the bad publicity and will continue for as long as it can possibly be continued.

Yes, fully agreed. Seen 100's of them. In high season they call them back within a few minutes often and start the scam...It is beyond me how some people o these forum can defend these scumbags and try to find excuses for them. Many good people had their vacation destroyed and these low lives laugh their asses off after getting their dough. Disgusting. PF.

Don't really think anyone is defending them but why all the special attention?

I don't see ;

Baht bus mafia scam - when will it stop?

Double pricing scam - when will it stop?

Beach chair scam - when will it stop?

Motor bike rental scam - when will it stop?

Should i go on....

TBH, I expect it is the same with jetskis but it has been so dramatized with thick stupid tourists who have smashed up a jetski and think a couple a quid will sort it out or even thicker tourists who don't check/mark damage before taking jetski out...really don't see why all the TV keyboard warriors are getting all worked up when there are more serious issues in Pattaya like the beach-chair, baht-bus, taxi-bike, mafia scams ongoing whistling.gif

I don't see ;

Should i go on....

Maybe it's something to do with the amounts being extorted............a few hundred baht on a taxi fare or beach chair etc is in a totally different league.

What about damage or "supposed damage" to a rental motor bike or car, also big money?

Car rental scam - when will it stop?

My point is there are numerous scams here in LOS, that's the way it is here and most other SEA tourist spots and tourist spots around the world - this will NOT change.

I don't see ;

Should i go on....

You sound like a jet ski advocate or a person bored and wanted to post something.

The attention is because of the insane amounts stolen, the violence in plain view of people on the beach and the fact that complaints taken to the police have fallen on deaf ears.

What about damage or "supposed damage" to a rental motor bike or car, also big money?Car rental scam - when will it stop?My point is there are numerous scams here in LOS, that's the way it is here and most other SEA tourist spots and tourist spots around the world - this will NOT change.
These may also be big money scams but they are not being carried out brazenly with threats of violence and in full view of the police and public every day.

Oops....should have read Walking man's reply before posting.

Edited by gmac

What about damage or "supposed damage" to a rental motor bike or car, also big money?

My point is there are numerous scams here in LOS, that's the way it is here and most other SEA tourist spots and tourist spots around the world - this will NOT change.

Don't agree with this post, and a number of your other postings in this thread.

I've rented cars in Thailand loads of times - never had a problem and service could not be better.

I've rented jet-skis during a number of holidays in Bali and never once had a problem, or ever witnessed any of the behavior reported here.

I wouldn't rent a jet-ski in Pattaya (or Phuket) and one of the reasons for this decision is the on-going reports here by a number of unselfish TV members.

I suggest that you try and not live up to your avatar name.

A bit thick in the head I see.

This is the jet ski scam discussion.