Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop

saintofsilence

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Collective noun for these low lifes, lets see....

A pod of scammers.....

A crook of thugs...

A bunch of <deleted>....( I like that one ).

Edited by soihok

Chivas says, "I must be the only regular user of Jet Ski's who's never had a problem" It is called "selective bulling"...or preying on certain nationalities. I walked by a jet ski vendor the other day, he ignored me but behind me was asking two Indian guys if they wanted to rent. He followed them like a hawk.

Yes I think your term for it is spot on.......

They always get a Polite approach from me but also perhaps a look that says don't act like idiots with me, and also I tended normally to stick to the same Pod of guys, although not always..... Is Pod the right word !!

If you rent often, then you're probably tight with a particular gang. I'm not insinuating you're in cahoots with them on their extortions, just that they know you, etc. However, just because some tourists are 'green' and (in your words;) 'act like idiots' is not an excuse to rip them off. It's too bad that all tourists aren't as cool as you, and/or buddies with a particular gang on the beach. So, in your view, if a tourist appears to be dorky, it's justified that they get ripped off for tens of thousands of baht?

If the jet ski renters owned a clothes shop, here's how they would operate: they would have one stained jacket. Each time a Middle Eastern browsing customer touched that jacket, they would immediately start screaming 'You soiled this jacket!!!!" It will take Bt.40,000 to clean it!. You pay me immediately, of I will call the police and you will go to jail!!! (of course, the policeman stationed outside is in on the scam)

I hope I'm not giving any unscrupulous Thais another idea for ripping off tourists.

Chivas says, "I must be the only regular user of Jet Ski's who's never had a problem" It is called "selective bulling"...or preying on certain nationalities. I walked by a jet ski vendor the other day, he ignored me but behind me was asking two Indian guys if they wanted to rent. He followed them like a hawk.

They always get a Polite approach from me but also perhaps a look that says don't act like idiots with me, and also I tended normally to stick to the same Pod of guys, although not always..... Is Pod the right word !!

If you rent often, then you're probably tight with a particular gang. I'm not insinuating you're in cahoots with them on their extortions, just that they know you, etc. However, just because some tourists are 'green' and (in your words;) 'act like idiots' is not an excuse to rip them off. It's too bad that all tourists aren't as cool as you, and/or buddies with a particular gang on the beach. So, in your view, if a tourist appears to be dorky, it's justified that they get ripped off for tens of thousands of baht?

If the jet ski renters owned a clothes shop, here's how they would operate: they would have one stained jacket. Each time a Middle Eastern browsing customer touched that jacket, they would immediately start screaming 'You soiled this jacket!!!!" It will take Bt.40,000 to clean it!. You pay me immediately, of I will call the police and you will go to jail!!! (of course, the policeman stationed outside is in on the scam)

I hope I'm not giving any unscrupulous Thais another idea for ripping off tourists.

The "act like idiots" jibe was aimed at the Potential Scammers not against tourists......

One has to actually see and watch a few times what is happening with these people. The young Indians yesterday were devastated. You could see, their vacation was destroyed. The entire area on the beach is something out of a movie with groups of low lives running the show. What does that say about Pattaya as a tourist destination. Why are no authorities, press, embassies etc. stepping up? What is going on?

• Like 1

That's happened to me at a beach road vendor for one of those glass items. I picked it up for two seconds, put it down, and the vendor claimed I damaged it. I did not. She said I will call the police. I just walked away .... fast.

yeah good luck to whatever brave thai journalist would take this on

didn't the majors father had a journalist killed some years back and he was sentenced but they have never been able to find him ,i guessing he still controls chon buri

i think he owns a couple of jetskis

Good to see it getting Indian press.

Shameful this has to give Thailand such an international black eye. Thailand gets up in arms over three topless girls on Songkran and says it is ruining Thailand's image, but does nothing about real issues that really are ruining its imagine.

and to think that thailand had the nerve to complain about a gaga'' tounge-in-cheek'' remark about a rolex copy watch,..................how does that compare to this thuggery and fraud in anyones eyes except the thai authorities is beyond comprehension .

well i'm back and have made 2 beach visits over 2 days without a result. maybe bad luck it's not going to stop on it's own and neither am i going to make it up just to provide some copy on the story.

a lot less people on the beach than january so the pool of potential customers / victims is less too

I met a US Marine who said they were thoroughly briefed on jet-skis and other scams. Maybe the word is getting out there.

seems a pity to me that these guys had the info before coming ashore, i cant see the jetscammers outnumbering the marines on a US aircraft carrier ..........and americans seem to be the only nationals who's embassy actually stands by them ! , just the guys to give these thugs what they thouroughly deserve .Typical that thais dont realise they owe their freedom to the very people they are robbing, if it wasn't for the indians,russians,U.S and Brits the thais would all be talking japanese by now , so thank you so much thailand !

Surely by now every tourist who comes to Pattaya is aware of these scams and must know to avoid them like the plague. All countries have access to the internet even if their media have not warned their citizens of the risk involved.

No they are not

I spent 30 mins on beach road yesterday , and watch 2 people scammed out of 100,000 the each .. It's a joke .. It made my blood boil as pattaya is becoming better but this vile is keeping it bad !

My God that about £2050 !!!! that more than the cost of my entire 3 week Phuket holiday due in September,

Wap

Surely by now every tourist who comes to Pattaya is aware of these scams and must know to avoid them like the plague. All countries have access to the internet even if their media have not warned their citizens of the risk involved.

No they are not

I spent 30 mins on beach road yesterday , and watch 2 people scammed out of 100,000 the each .. It's a joke .. It made my blood boil as pattaya is becoming better but this vile is keeping it bad !

My God that about £2050 !!!! that more than the cost of my entire 3 week Phuket holiday due in September,

Wap

I recommend you don't hire any jetski's while you are on holiday.

Look at it a different way and consider perhaps this......

Obviously there are marine craft repair outlets dotted around Pattaya. I suggest picking up a business card from one of these places and introducing it into the conversation should you attempt to be scammed......

"Well ok we appear to have some scratches etc to the Jet Ski.......What am going to do is have it transported to the workshop and I'll ensure payment direct to them and also pay some compensation for the boat being out of the water for 24 hours etc...."

All said in an authoritive but very polite tone.....

I would consider that the scammers may well take the route of thinking this guys a little switched on and suddenly requests for money suddenly drop to 5,000 baht and a quick exit.....

Doesn't make the Scammers any more disgusting though.....

Obviously there are marine craft repair outlets dotted around Pattaya. I suggest picking up a business card from one of these places and introducing it into the conversation should you attempt to be scammed......

"Well ok we appear to have some scratches etc to the Jet Ski.......What am going to do is have it transported to the workshop and I'll ensure payment direct to them and also pay some compensation for the boat being out of the water for 24 hours etc...."

I would consider that the scammers may well take the route of thinking this guys a little switched on and suddenly requests for money suddenly drop to 5,000 baht and a quick exit.....

They go mainly after the naive, un-informed, insecure Indians, Pakistanis etc. most probably first time on a trip abroad. As in many other respects in this country there is no reasoning or negotiating possible, because these people have no conscience or even consideration for other human beings. I am totally disgusted. This must be one of the most appalling "beachfront-town areas" anywhere in a tourist hub. Just go for a walk fom 17.00-20.00 and observe. Not even to mention the condition of the walkway, garbage, rats, sewer, drug-dealers and much more...

They go mainly after the naive, un-informed, insecure Indians, Pakistanis etc. most probably first time on a trip abroad. As in many other respects in this country there is no reasoning or negotiating possible, because these people have no conscience or even consideration for other human beings. I am totally disgusted. This must be one of the most appalling "beachfront-town areas" anywhere in a tourist hub. Just go for a walk fom 17.00-20.00 and observe. Not even to mention the condition of the walkway, garbage, rats, sewer, drug-dealers and much more...

One days us guys will arrive from overseas and find a ring of steel around the City with the city being completely bulldozed inside under a Compulsory Purchase order for everything....!!

Many a word spoken in jest......!

One days us guys will arrive from overseas and find a ring of steel around the City with the city being completely bulldozed inside under a Compulsory Purchase order for everything....!!

good thought....thumbsup.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

good thought....thumbsup.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

More realistically perhaps you'll find every bar and club shut down !! What do the Thai Government actually get/benefit from Pattaya...?? How many of these girls for openers are paying tax on their earnings.....??

The only Benefit to Thai society is the fabulous honour of being the Sex Tourist country of the world.......

How many extra tourists would come to the country if that Stigma and Scene was removed....?? Millions one suspects.

Edited by Chivas

More realistically perhaps you'll find every bar and club shut down !! What do the Thai Government actually get/benefit from Pattaya...?? How many of these girls for openers are paying tax on their earnings.....??

The only Benefit to Thai society is the fabulous honour of being the Sex Tourist country of the world.......

How many extra tourists would come to the country if that Stigma and Scene was removed....?? Millions one suspects.

In Thailand, trafficking is a Bt500 billion annual business, which is 50%- 60% of the government's annual budget and more lucrative than the drug trade. (Authorites and activists, Kulachada Chaipipat, "New law targets human trafficking," The Nation, 30 Novermber 1997)
Close to 300 million dollars is transferred yearly to rural families by women engaged in prostitution in urban areas, a sum that in many cases exceeds the budgets of government-funded development programs. Between 1993 and 1995, it is estimated that prostitution in Thailand produced an annual income of between 22.5 and 27 billion dollars. (Dario Agnote, "Sex trade key part of S.E. Asian economies, study says," Kyodo News, 18 August 1998)
Edited by lovetotravel

In Thailand, trafficking is a Bt500 billion annual business, which is 50%- 60% of the government's annual budget and more lucrative than the drug trade. (Authorites and activists, Kulachada Chaipipat, "New law targets human trafficking," The Nation, 30 Novermber 1997)
Close to 300 million dollars is transferred yearly to rural families by women engaged in prostitution in urban areas, a sum that in many cases exceeds the budgets of government-funded development programs. Between 1993 and 1995, it is estimated that prostitution in Thailand produced an annual income of between 22.5 and 27 billion dollars. (Dario Agnote, "Sex trade key part of S.E. Asian economies, study says," Kyodo News, 18 August 1998)

So whats your point.....??

I any others could produce as many obscure links depicting the complete opposite to yours.......

How many tourists as a percentage come to Thailand annually to engage in Prostitution compared to everyone else. I'll tell you - 0.13% of all visitors to the Kingdom.....Less than one eighth of just one percent...

How many many millions of tourists are put off coming because of it !!

As an aside whats Trafficking got to do will the conversation...??

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 1

I any others could produce as many obscure links depicting the complete opposite to yours.......

How many tourists as a percentage come to Thailand annually to engage in Prostitution compared to everyone else. I'll tell you - 0.13% of all visitors to the Kingdom.....Less than one eighth of just one percent...

Sorry, but a bit of a stickler when it comes to stats. It's estimated that at least around 40% of tourists come to Thailand for sex:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nrYA8-ky7JS-ULZkyZGnh5Zuf4dktCH8UnR0n2FBt2k/edit?hl=en&pli=1

Now that's a bit out of date, but it's still a valid number. I, like you, am amazed at the number of tourists that come here even with all the problems. But as the doc shows above, many come here for the "fun". Not the beach or the culture. Indonesia has fantastic beaches. But less than 1/2 the number of tourists as we do here.

Sorry to get a bit off topic.

Sorry, but a bit of a stickler when it comes to stats. It's estimated that at least around 40% of tourists come to Thailand for sex:

https://docs.google....dit?hl=en&pli=1

Now that's a bit out of date, but it's still a valid number. I, like you, am amazed at the number of tourists that come here even with all the problems. But as the doc shows above, many come here for the "fun". Not the beach or the culture. Indonesia has fantastic beaches. But less than 1/2 the number of tourists as we do here.

Sorry mate but what utter utter planet are you living on !!!!!!

40% !!

• Like 1

https://docs.google....dit?hl=en&pli=1

Sorry mate but what utter utter planet are you living on !!!!!!

40% !!

Back to the topic please!!!

20.10 now

The Mike Shopping crooks are "escorting" 2 Indians across the road to Soi 9 police, quite aggressively. A bit further down on the stone/tree benches another group of 4 Indians wildly arguing with the middle eastern (dark, hairy, tattooed arm, earring and amulet on chain), which is fast becoming a big and active player.

If he reads this: Be aware that your face is well known by now and several able bodied guys are just waiting to meet you one night without your jet-ski possy. Coward that you are! Setting up people who are on their first vacation in their life-time. Talked to some Indians today, a bit down the road and warned them and asked them to spread the word. Some mentioned that there have been some articles in the Indian press lately. Shame...Shame...Shame...

Edited by Hishoni1945
  • Like 1

WHERE. DOES. THE. MONEY. GO.?

Yes we know the jetski scams happen everyday, yes we know its a national disgrace.

but to me the question is where does the money go?.

one things for sure, is that the people doing the scams obviously dont get much of the profit.

they are obviously junkies and drug addicts most of them, and some of them sleep right there on the beach and are homeless..

the main scams on pattaya beach are mostly at the same spots everyday,

so, i have come to the conclusion that the people doing the scams are just puppets to higher powers and are probably under huge pressure

to bring lots of money in every month,, the scammers on the street im sure dont even own the jetskis,

this probably explains why they have immunity from the police here. there just doing the dirty work for others.

is it the police? the mafia?. ?or all ?

this is a huge international story here in the making and im sure when the right (BIG Name) journalist gets his teeth into it, and the thai goverment lose face over the media coverage things will be done.(eventually)

Edited by bluesky76

WHERE. DOES. THE. MONEY. GO.?

Yes we know the jetski scams happen everyday, yes we know its a national disgrace.

but to me the question is where does the money go?.

one things for sure, is that the people doing the scams obviously dont get much of the profit.

they are obviously junkies and drug addicts most of them, and some of them sleep right there on the beach and are homeless..

the main scams on pattaya beach are mostly at the same spots everyday,

so, i have come to the conclusion that the people doing the scams are just puppets to higher powers and are probably under huge pressure

to bring lots of money in every month,, the scammers on the street im sure dont even own the jetskis,

this probably explains why they have immunity from the police here. there just doing the dirty work for others.

is it the police? the mafia?. ?or all ?

this is a huge international story here in the making and im sure when the right (BIG Name) journalist gets his teeth into it, and the thai goverment lose face over the media coverage things will be done.(eventually)

If youve been in soi 9 police cells you will see that the police do very little, they are run by long term inmates who are addicted to and supplied yaba, its these inmates that do the negotiations with farang that want to buy their way out and keep general order in the cells and sell yaba to other inmates for the police

I very much suspect that the beach scammers are criminals that have been given freedom and yaba in return for bringing in a certain amount of cash each day