Marriage

awarrumbungle

Foreigners first have to sign paperwork at there Embassy and have it translated and registered with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Below is the official marriage process:

Marriage

Marriage Registration

Regulations

A couple must be of legal age (17 years) upon filing for marriage registration, otherwise permission must be granted by a court.

Permission from the parents is required for parties under legal age.

Both parties must not be registered as married to anyone else (Multiple marriage registration is prohibited).

The parties must not be direct blood relatives nor be sister or brother through either parent.

Adopting parents shall not be permitted to marry their own adopted child.

A widow or divorcee will be permitted to remarry not less than 310 days after the previous marriage has expired, unless

Has given birth to a child.

Remarrying the same person.

Not pregnant, as certified by doctor. (in case of early remarriage)

Approval to remarry from a court is obtained.

No service fee is required whatsoever.

Required Documents

Identification Cards of both parties.

The House Registration Certificates of both parties.

If an alien is registering to be married to a Thai citizen or another alien, he or she is required to submit following documents.

A copy of their passport.

A Letter of Certification, issued by an Embassy or Consulate or a Government Organization from their country, regarding the marital status of the person. The Letter must be translated, then certified by the relevant Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Procedures

Marriage registration can be filed at any District Office or Minor District Office nationwide regardless of the birthplace of the couple.

Once the marriage registration is completed, each party will be given a copy of the Marriage Registration Certificate as evidence.

If the marriage registration is filed at the District Office located in female's birthplace (where the name is registered on the House Registration Certificate), the title used with the forename and the last name of the female will be changed by the District Officer. The female is required to file for a new Identification Card within 60 days. A service fee of 10 baht is required. If the marriage is registered elsewhere, the female is required to contact the local District Office to change her name and last name, as well as filing for a new Identification Card.

If both parties are unable to file for marriage at any District Office of Minor District Office, the couple can submit a request to the Registrar to register their marriage at any location under the supervision of that District Office. The parties filing for marriage are required to provide transportation for the Registrar. A service fee of 200 baht is required.

Contents

lopburi's information is spot on except for the "how much". So far it's cost me 3 million baht :D and worth every penny :D

:o

Lopburi's info was the official version... you must have things confused with how much money your wife actually cost you... to date.

:D

This might be a stupid question, but i've always been confused when farang tell me they got married here, but they are not really married legally. What is that all about? They seem to be referring to some kind of ceremony, but it has no legal standing.

Huh?

This might be a stupid question, but i've always been confused when farang tell me they got married here, but they are not really married legally.  What is that all about?  They seem to be referring to some kind of ceremony, but it has no legal standing.

Huh?

That's right. Ceremony or blessings are not legal marriages but may be considered a marriage in the eyes of friends/family/village. There is no required ceremony but for a marriage to be legal it must be registered at a District Office as outlined in my above post.