Stolen: Dell Streak 5

jb081027

Mea Baan's son told me that he sold it at used cell phone shop at Kad Suan Kaew department store.

We went to the shop to buy it back but the owner said they sold it to "Farang Man".

If you have it, please let me know.

I want to buy it back at the price you paid for.

Once I get the IMEI number from my carrier then I will report it at police and they will trace this phone.

Model: DELL Streak 5

Black color, Rooted and Custom Mod.

//e-mail removed as per forum rules//

"Once I get the IMEI number from my carrier then I will report it at police and they will trace this phone."

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: If you've been in Thailand long enough to have a "Mea bann" you probably know already why that's funny.

The only interaction worth having with the Police would be slipping them a couple of thousand baht to make the "Mea bann's" son comprehend the error of his ways. :whistling:

BTW if you employ domestic staff - valuables in your pocket or in the safe ALWAYS

Very possible and police often trace phones by triangulation. GPS is accurate to 40 feet. I understand if the OP has written code for the OS, there is alot of valuable time and information in that phone.

If they will do it for you is the question. More than likely the phone was never sold to a farang, its probably sitting in the back of the shop somewhere.

Sorry to hear this, and good luck. As others have already said, don't expect much progress from here on.

BTW, I would have expected to read your story as "my ex-mae baan's son..." or my mae-baan's hospitalized son..."

Also, did the shop tell you how much they paid for it and sold it?

Thai police track cellphones from known criminals and drug dealers all the time.

I use to work for a company that made the software to do it, although BiB dont need the software, they just ask the cell provider to track it.

Thai police track cellphones from known criminals and drug dealers all the time.

I use to work for a company that made the software to do it, although BiB dont need the software, they just ask the cell provider to track it.

They don't do 'it' all the time, maybe CM does it once or twice a year, but they have never done what the OP wants..

They don't do 'it' all the time, maybe CM does it once or twice a year, but they have never done what the OP wants..

DSI does ;)

I had a phone stolen once, and I still had the original box with the IMEI number on the side.

The police didn't want to know (despite offering tea money)..

DTAC didn't want to know

AIS didn't want to know

Although we all know that they could just as well have the same systems here for stolen phones as they do in Europe and US. It's not gonna happen and your phone has gone!

Please someone correct me if I`m wrong here:

But I thought that all farangs had to give details of their names, addresses and passport numbers to the store owner when they purchase a mobile phone in Thailand.

And Thais too, and any other ethnicity too, though that was a couple years ago. Don't see much record keeping these days.

Either way, this would not help the OP.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Hey OP, if you manage to get a cop to help, I'd recommend bringing him with you to the shop to lean on the proprietor a bit. There's something fishy about the "I sold it to a farang" story. It's an easy way to throw the whole thing back on you. As someone else here suggested, the phone may still be at the shop, but the owner didn't want to produce it because that would be an admission of guilt and big loss of face. So it's easier to say that it's just among you farang. But with a policeman looking at all that hardware, licking his chops, pressing for details, suggesting that receiving stolen property is a crime etc, you may have some luck. A long shot, but better than no shot at all.

^ why send a cop? if it's still at the shop, just send a friend there, and have him buy the phone.

I'd offer to play sherlock... I'd go there, check out phones, and eventually ask for "something with a bigger screen". Since nothing has a bigger screen than the humongous Dell Streak 5, it should come out of hiding at that point. Then again maybe the guy sold it on to some other shop (if he knew it was hot property, then likely did so...).

In fact, you should have done that in the first place, before the guy knew you (hindsight is 20/20 I know)...

But I thought that all farangs had to give details of their names, addresses and passport numbers to the store owner when they purchase a mobile phone in Thailand.

Nah. Nobody cares. You can buy SIM cards at any little phone shop, and they don't ask for ID (or your name, or anything)....

In fact I was a little surprised when I recently bought an AIS 3G prepaid card at the official Telewiz / AIS shop in CM and they didn't ask for ID. For post-paid, sure, they want ID and all that but that's only to ensure that you'll be paying the bills...

I just bought a new phone from an AIS shop and no ID required at all.

There was a push a few years ago that all mobile numbers had to be registered by the owner. This meant current owners and new purchases. I just went to a local mobile shop and did my registration as were many Thais. They had a large log book to take down the information. This was due to the insurgency in the South using mobile phones for remote triggers.

Maybe in theory but not in practice. If asked for your passport, usually all you need to do is say "no have" and they'll let it pass.

Any new ideas to share on how to ensure you don't lose the photos and the contact list if your phone is stolen or lost?

I know about storing it / updating it on a second sim card, but any other ideas?

Please share.

Most phones sold today come with a USB cable that allows you to connect to a computer, and software that allows you to back up/synchronize the data in your phone on the computer. Check your phone manual.

Many recent smartphones allow you to back up your contact list on a remote server on the Internet, for example HTC Sense's online system. These systems also allow you to wipe everything on your phone remotely and display a message on the phone when it is missing.

Any new ideas to share on how to ensure you don't lose the photos and the contact list if your phone is stolen or lost?

I know about storing it / updating it on a second sim card, but any other ideas?

Please share.

Most phones sold today come with a USB cable that allows you to connect to a computer, and software that allows you to back up/synchronize the data in your phone on the computer. Check your phone manual.

Many recent smartphones allow you to back up your contact list on a remote server on the Internet, for example HTC Sense's online system. These systems also allow you to wipe everything on your phone remotely and display a message on the phone when it is missing.

That's the same as blackberry protect, you can back up then wipe your photo if it gets stolen, which is great if you have it for business like I do. But in response to the OP good luck with it all but I think your p**sing in the wind if you think you have any chance of getting a result from it. Just break the son's fingers, sure you'll not get the phone back but it will make you feel better.

I have Anti Theft SW installed on my mobile. What that means is even if a thief changes the SIM card, I can still track the phone's general whereabouts, go to the vicinity, then ring the bloody thing to see who answers it.

Anyone concerned about losing or having a costly mobile nabbed, you might want to install F-secure, or a similar program.

Aitch

Nah. Nobody cares. You can buy SIM cards at any little phone shop, and they don't ask for ID (or your name, or anything)....

In fact I was a little surprised when I recently bought an AIS 3G prepaid card at the official Telewiz / AIS shop in CM and they didn't ask for ID. For post-paid, sure, they want ID and all that but that's only to ensure that you'll be paying the bills...

Bought a new phone last month and nobody asked for ID. Last week we came back into the country from Malaysia and they were handing out SIM cards like confetti in Swampy and CNX for pre-pay.

Sounds great, but I assume once the person realizes that the phone is locked they have it reset. This is especially true with a phone shop.

Its better than nothing though...

I have Anti Theft SW installed on my mobile. What that means is even if a thief changes the SIM card, I can still track the phone's general whereabouts, go to the vicinity, then ring the bloody thing to see who answers it.

Anyone concerned about losing or having a costly mobile nabbed, you might want to install F-secure, or a similar program.

Aitch

IMHO registering is well worth doing. If you lose the phone, you can get any money that is unused and all your phone number information transferred to your new phone.

That and buy a cheap phone that you don't have to worry about loosing. Back up your contacts regularly; when your phone does disappear or whatever, you're never more than a few hours and a couple of thousand Baht away from being fully re-instated.

No hassle and no worries. On the few times something's happened to my phone (lost/broken) it's been about time to replace it anyway so I've always had my money's worth. Sweet! I just don't get lugging expensive phones and gadgets around!

I don't get why the OP want's his back anyway. If its for the data on it, you can be sure the shopped wiped it, reformatted it, unlocked it, put it in a different colour case and/or whatever else, immediately they got it. Buy another one, (new or second hand) re-install your backup :whistling: :whistling: and move on......

IMHO registering is well worth doing. If you lose the phone, you can get any money that is unused and all your phone number information transferred to your new phone.

Dont need to register.. Just tell them the amount of credit you had.. Or numbers called etc..