Doi Suthep - How Fast Are You Uphill?

alexpoker

So Ive decided to try and get better at this biking stuff by trying to time myself riding up Doi Suthep.

Ive only done it like three times where I try and go fast.

Third time my time was 11min 48 seconds.

Timing myself from the Chiang Mai Zoo, where you pass under one of those things over the road, which usually has the Kings picture on it, to the last bend approx 100 m before the first steps up to the Temple. Didnt wanna time myself all the way to the Temple, cuz theres always ppl walking across the street/traffic.

Would love to hear what some of the more experienced riders have as times if you time yourself :P

Alex

I guess the more experienced riders know better than to time themselves up Doi Suthep... of all places.

My own time would vary greatly with traffic - there's lots of bends with no visibility as far as I can remember.. the last few times I've been up there there were always one or two spots where you either had to go behind a bus, or make a no-look passing maneuver hoping that nothing too fast would come up the opposite lane. In which case I usually stay behind the bus...

cheers ;)

haha I guess thats my excuse :P

Doi Suthep surely seems the safest route in the vicinity of the city to time yourself. Theres no crossroads and as long as you arent doing anything overly stupid it seems pretty safe. Also there seems to be enough challenge as there are lots of bends etc.

Don't do it

Get a playstation or go to a track-day somewhere. If you record a DNF it won't hurt as much.thumbsup.gif

Very sound advice! +1

My fastest time up there?

No idea! Fast enough to enjoy the ride & slow enough to be safe!

BTW, isn't Doi Sutep where you had your recent spill after painting your bike?

Racing up Doi Suthep, listening to music while riding, instigating drag races at the Canal Road intersection, then running from cops at another Canal Road intersection and practicing wheelies during the wee hours of night and getting chased by security guards,....what's next?...a yaba toking skoy as passenger? :D

Welcome to Thailand, that's what makes it great ! ;)

Don't do it

Get a playstation or go to a track-day somewhere. If you record a DNF it won't hurt as much.thumbsup.gif

Isnt the closest track near bangkok somewhere? I heard its pretty far.

Very sound advice! +1

My fastest time up there?

No idea! Fast enough to enjoy the ride & slow enough to be safe!

BTW, isn't Doi Sutep where you had your recent spill after painting your bike?

It it was!

What was your weapon of choice Alex?

NSR 150 SP

Racing up Doi Suthep, listening to music while riding, instigating drag races at the Canal Road intersection, then running from cops at another Canal Road intersection and practicing wheelies during the wee hours of night and getting chased by security guards,....what's next?...a yaba toking skoy as passenger? :D

Welcome to Thailand, that's what makes it great ! ;)

Making me wish I was 25 years younger and fearless - or 65 years younger for other Thaivisa posters. Good times.