Introducing The $450 Checked Baggage Fee

craigt3365

Excerpt:

Yet, as USA Today reports, arguably the most absurd, off-the-charts expensive baggage fees are now being charged by the "legacy" carriers American, Continental, and United. To check a bag categorized as overweight (between 70 and 100 lbs.), a passenger can expect to pay $400 on international flights with Continental and United, which are now sister carriers after a merger, and $450 on American's routes to Asia.

http://blog.budgettravel.com/budgettravel/2011/09/introducing_the_450_checked_ba.html?wpisrc=newsletter

I love the articles first recommendation to avoid these fees....pack less. Great stuff. :whistling:

I do wonder why these airlines list a price for a flight at all. They may as well just say everyone can have a free flight anywhere in the world at anytime. Then of course hit you with a $400 baggage fee, $200 seat allocation fee, $100 to use the toilet fee, $300 customs declaration fee, $300 fuel surcharge fee.

Well actually here in oz the airlines did start doing things like that but now that type of advertising has been banned (for our airlines at least). They have to advertise the actual cost of the flight.

But really, does some guru think that having a kind of hidden charge like that is the best way to give customer satisfaction? I would have thought one flight with them and being hit with excessive charges would mean a hell of a lot of bad publicity.

Some people think the free market and de regulation is way to do things. I don't, I think govt regulation in certain things is a must otherwise Joe Public is at the mercy of what could be termed a cartel.

I don't, I think govt regulation in certain things is a must otherwise Joe Public is at the mercy of what could be termed a cartel.

I'm old enough to remember the "regulated" airlines. Flying today costs less than it ever did back before deregulation. Try Fed-Exing or UPS'ing a 100 lb bag from the USA to Bangkok and even $450 sounds cheap.

That said, I'm all for transparent pricing where you actually know what a flight is going to cost- guts, feathers and all- before you actually buy the ticket.

But if you think airlines are bad, try getting hit with a $100 "facility usage fee" tacked onto a hotel bill to pay for that swimming pool and gym you never used. At least with baggage fees, you're paying for something you have chosen to do.

Even in Bangkok, I get hit with a 5% "service charge" on my hotel bill. I figured the service was included in the room price, but I guess that's just their way of wedging their fingers a little deeper into my wallet.

Edited by impulse

Folks

A friend of mine was hit with this the other day by Continental his bag was 55 pounds luckly he was traveling with friends and was able to switch some items around. I believe that you may have a small third bag for a fee of 35 dollars. If you suspect that you might be overweight it might not be a bad idea to pack a small collasable duffel that you could use to move some things around if necessary.

Moe

:whistling:

I agree that 450 dollars does seem excessive...but you will have to learn that passenger's baggage does not fly free... and actually never did.

Baggage doesn't pay an airline to fly it, passengers do pay. Every pound of baggage costs the airlines in fuel costs. The more baggage a plane carries the fewer passengers it can carry.

IATA rules state that all airlines must obey a mandate that an airliner MUST arrive at their destination with a specific number of minutes of fuel left. This is a safety issue, to allow for a flight to circle the destination airport if required by weather or any delay in landing due to airport congestion and landing delays. This minimum fuel safety requirement is normally 30 minutes of fuel left on arrival at destination airport.

Any airline whose flight arrives at the destination without this mandated minimum fuel, can and often will be fined for that infraction by IATA. This is a safety procaution, and IATA takes it very seriously.

Passengers today want longer direct flights, bigger aircraft, and few refueling stops.

All this leads to more passengers on bigger planes and long haul flights that are closer to the maximum range of the aircraft.

In addition, passengrs are getting heavier (the Fat American syndrome).

Air fuel costs are increasing all the time also.

All these things add up to the fact that the amount of baggage a passenger is allowed to carry "free" is going to have to be lowered. Or a passenger with overwieght baggage must be prepared to pay for the privaledge of bringing half of his/her earthly belongings with them for that week long vacation on the other side of the world.

So basically passengers, especially on long haul flights really have two choices.

Either bring less luggage with you...or be prepared to pay for it.

Also, in July, the last time I flew from the U.S.A. to Bangkok United was announcing it's new 2 carry-on bags rule. Both of your two carry-on bags must fit that box the airline uses to see if your carry-on is legal or must be checked.

Of your two carry-on bags, only ONE is to be stored in the overhead bins, the other needs to go under the seat in front of you.

And ladies, if you carry a handbag or purse with you THAT is considered one of your allowed two carry-ons.

United was also announcing that this policy be implemented first on long-haul flights (such as SFO to Narita and then to BKK...the one I was on).

That won't be popular with passengers...but it's going to happen...if not being done already.

And the pilots and cabin crew are all behind these new baggage rules. Flights are already being delayed by the cabin crew having to sort out those passengers who have 3 or 4 "carry-on" items and are trying to stuff them all into the overhead bins. So passengers won't get any sympathy from the cabin crew and staff for complaining about the new rules.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

The dirty little secret about the baggage fee, the change flight fee, special seat fee is no taxes paid to Uncle Sugar as on the ticket. I fly EVA airline book 2 bags I think 50 lbs free. I refuse to fly any US based airline on international flights. You can join the frequent flyer club with enough miles you do get disconts and freebies.In Thailand I fly Bangkok Airlines and because of my standing in the frequent flyer club I get 2 bags free.

OK, I have a solution.

Step 1: Be prepared to look fat and carry a light plastic shopping bag.

Step 2: When packing your bags put your heaviest clothes, Big Jacket, Jeans, heavy boots on the top.

Step 3: When your bags get checked and are overweight start putting on additional leyers.

Boots first they way a lot, then the big jacket, maybe an extra pair of jeans.

Note if you do step 3 before getting your bag weighed you may score a more comfy seat for your extra bulk.

Step 4: Once through checkin, take off the extra bulk and carry it in the plastic bag.

Been there done that.

(the Fat American syndrome)

Lordy, Lordy! I hope that's not contagious. I'd sure hate to get struck fat on my next flight.

It's plain and simple. Passengers and their luggage as relate to the cost of flying are nothing but cargo.

Take the guesswork out of it, (and the accompanying loopholes to whine).

You with all your baggage will be weighed at check-in and charged accordingly. Otherwise it is a classic case of "Those that pay, pay for those that don't pay". Just because you got away with it for years, does not make it fair or just.

Off topic I know but.....

We are having a work xmas party and tried to book 20 rooms at a boutique hotel about 3 hours south of Brisbane. Charge per room was $350. So we went to book it and the price had gone up, they put on an extra $10 per room for 'porter service'.

So I called them to say that surely the cost of the porters are included in the price of the room, and we can tip porters if we want to. Also, we are all quite capbable of carrying our own bags to the rooms as we are only there for 1 night. Do we have to pay extra for the room to be cleanded, or extra for a chef to cook for us?

They insisted on the $10 per room add on, just wouldn't budge.

We are now having our xmas party at another hotel.

Just annoys the hell out of me with all the add ons.

Edited by Wallaby

I agree to wearing your heavy stuff.

All this really sucks as I do a lot to keep my body weight down: Jogging, swimming, eating healthy food and weigh only 10 lbs more than I did in high school.

The norm, however tends to be closer to double that.

So, why do I pay the same for an airline ticket as the one who weighs twice as much as me?

And American based airlines are by far the most rude in my experiences.

I do wonder why these airlines list a price for a flight at all. They may as well just say everyone can have a free flight anywhere in the world at anytime. Then of course hit you with a $400 baggage fee, $200 seat allocation fee, $100 to use the toilet fee, $300 customs declaration fee, $300 fuel surcharge fee.

Well actually here in oz the airlines did start doing things like that but now that type of advertising has been banned (for our airlines at least). They have to advertise the actual cost of the flight.

But really, does some guru think that having a kind of hidden charge like that is the best way to give customer satisfaction? I would have thought one flight with them and being hit with excessive charges would mean a hell of a lot of bad publicity.

Some people think the free market and de regulation is way to do things. I don't, I think govt regulation in certain things is a must otherwise Joe Public is at the mercy of what could be termed a cartel.

Agree with what you say however everyone seems to miss the point of excess baggage, all airline have a weight limit for a single bag based on health and safety for its baggage handlers I belive the max is around twenty kilos could be less, if a passenger is dumb enough to show up with a single bag weighing a hundrede pounds or more they deserve to be slapped with a big fee.

I should add it does happen and I have witnessed it .

I agree that 450 dollars does seem excessive...but you will have to learn that passenger's baggage does not fly free... and actually never did.

Baggage doesn't pay an airline to fly it, passengers do pay. Every pound of baggage costs the airlines in fuel costs. The more baggage a plane carries the fewer passengers it can carry.

IATA rules state that all airlines must obey a mandate that an airliner MUST arrive at their destination with a specific number of minutes of fuel left. This is a safety issue, to allow for a flight to circle the destination airport if required by weather or any delay in landing due to airport congestion and landing delays. This minimum fuel safety requirement is normally 30 minutes of fuel left on arrival at destination airport.

Any airline whose flight arrives at the destination without this mandated minimum fuel, can and often will be fined for that infraction by IATA. This is a safety procaution, and IATA takes it very seriously.

Passengers today want longer direct flights, bigger aircraft, and few refueling stops.

All this leads to more passengers on bigger planes and long haul flights that are closer to the maximum range of the aircraft.

In addition, passengrs are getting heavier (the Fat American syndrome).

Air fuel costs are increasing all the time also.

All these things add up to the fact that the amount of baggage a passenger is allowed to carry "free" is going to have to be lowered. Or a passenger with overwieght baggage must be prepared to pay for the privaledge of bringing half of his/her earthly belongings with them for that week long vacation on the other side of the world.

So basically passengers, especially on long haul flights really have two choices.

Either bring less luggage with you...or be prepared to pay for it.

Also, in July, the last time I flew from the U.S.A. to Bangkok United was announcing it's new 2 carry-on bags rule. Both of your two carry-on bags must fit that box the airline uses to see if your carry-on is legal or must be checked.

Of your two carry-on bags, only ONE is to be stored in the overhead bins, the other needs to go under the seat in front of you.

And ladies, if you carry a handbag or purse with you THAT is considered one of your allowed two carry-ons.

United was also announcing that this policy be implemented first on long-haul flights (such as SFO to Narita and then to BKK...the one I was on).

That won't be popular with passengers...but it's going to happen...if not being done already.

And the pilots and cabin crew are all behind these new baggage rules. Flights are already being delayed by the cabin crew having to sort out those passengers who have 3 or 4 "carry-on" items and are trying to stuff them all into the overhead bins. So passengers won't get any sympathy from the cabin crew and staff for complaining about the new rules.

Believe its forty five minutes fuel left if the fight includes night flying as all long haul does.

On 19 September I checked in for my Baltimore to Bangkok flight on Delta at BWI. I had two checked bags and one was ok at exactly 50 lb but the other was 53 lb. The agent said I could either remove 3 lbs from the overweight bag or she had to charge me $92 for the excess baggage. Needless to say I removed 3 pounds of stuff a put it in my carry on bag.

United and Continental now allow only one checked bag at 50lbs.

And I wonder how much of the hold is taken up by air freight that also pays for using the plane? I pay 1500 US dollars for a ticket. You think that maybe thats not enough and I should pay more or that after forking out $1500 I should fork out a bit more so that they can make room for my luggage and not air freight?

United and Continental now allow only one checked bag at 50lbs.

And I wonder how much of the hold is taken up by air freight that also pays for using the plane? I pay 1500 US dollars for a ticket. You think that maybe thats not enough and I should pay more or that after forking out $1500 I should fork out a bit more so that they can make room for my luggage and not air freight?

If you think they are making money hand over fist you can always buy stock.

I do wonder why these airlines list a price for a flight at all. They may as well just say everyone can have a free flight anywhere in the world at anytime. Then of course hit you with a $400 baggage fee, ...

Air Asia started this a few years ago. The word "free" has been re-defined.

In 1970, a certain music venue (Fillmore East in NYC) initiated a "free night" when they would showcase local bands. You still had to pay for the ticket to get in.

OK, I have a solution.

Step 1: Be prepared to look fat and carry a light plastic shopping bag.

Step 2: When packing your bags put your heaviest clothes, Big Jacket, Jeans, heavy boots on the top.

Step 3: When your bags get checked and are overweight start putting on additional leyers.

Boots first they way a lot, then the big jacket, maybe an extra pair of jeans.

Note if you do step 3 before getting your bag weighed you may score a more comfy seat for your extra bulk.

Step 4: Once through checkin, take off the extra bulk and carry it in the plastic bag.

Been there done that.

(the Fat American syndrome)

Lordy, Lordy! I hope that's not contagious. I'd sure hate to get struck fat on my next flight.

A great suggestion that sounds like it came right out of STEAL THIS BOOK by Abbie Hoffman (if my memory isn't too blurry these days).

Advice you can use and thank you very much.

$450 for a 70 - 100 pound bag is not that excessive these days. Qatar Airways charges 1000 baht per kilo or more from BKK for excess, depending on your destination. Excess bag fees are an absolute killer on any airline now.

Americans are lucky on most flight from Europe you can only bring one bag at 50lbs. So stop whining. Its only normal they charge if your bags are overweight. Why else set limits.

yeah come on 70-100 lb over weight <deleted>............$450 is cheap as chips mate would have cost much more for the gf's ticket. just hope you made sure she could breathe ok inside the case ;)

and yeah qatar well they top the pile....last year i was at birmingham airport with 1 case and 1 crry on also my laptop bag which i thought was not included in allowances same as on emirates...........wow was i wrong they told me i was 11kg over weight from my laptop bag and informed me that if i wanted to take it on they wanted £360 YES THATS £360 the dam_n machine was only worth about £320 so i obviously wasnt gonna pay. i asked if there was anywhere to put it safely in the airport until i returned andd they just said no. i had no way of getting it home so i politely told them my father was still outside and i could give it him ;)

of i toodled to the departure lounge with both bags on my back lol.......did it work ? well sorta........got through all customs checks and baggage checks no problem but when i got to the departure gate i was quick swiftly pulled and castigated for trying to take an extra bag on the plane, after about 20 minutes of me telling them i cannot pay for this and i will just have to miss the flight as i cant leave my laptop it has important documents on it they called a senior manager...when she arrived i give her all the same sob story and eventually she told me i was lucky that the flight was under weight so they could allow me on the flight "this time" thank f*k for that "result"......but i was made to look a right cock infront of all the other passengers........probably worth it lol.

since then lesson learned, never fly with qatar again :) thank you emirates for allowing my laptop bag for free ............

$450 for a 70 - 100 pound bag is not that excessive these days. Qatar Airways charges 1000 baht per kilo or more from BKK for excess, depending on your destination. Excess bag fees are an absolute killer on any airline now.

Americans are lucky on most flight from Europe you can only bring one bag at 50lbs. So stop whining. Its only normal they charge if your bags are overweight. Why else set limits.

yeah come on 70-100 lb over weight <deleted>............$450 is cheap as chips mate would have cost much more for the gf's ticket. just hope you made sure she could breathe ok inside the case ;)

and yeah qatar well they top the pile....last year i was at birmingham airport with 1 case and 1 crry on also my laptop bag which i thought was not included in allowances same as on emirates...........wow was i wrong they told me i was 11kg over weight from my laptop bag and informed me that if i wanted to take it on they wanted £360 YES THATS £360 the dam_n machine was only worth about £320 so i obviously wasnt gonna pay. i asked if there was anywhere to put it safely in the airport until i returned andd they just said no. i had no way of getting it home so i politely told them my father was still outside and i could give it him ;)

of i toodled to the departure lounge with both bags on my back lol.......did it work ? well sorta........got through all customs checks and baggage checks no problem but when i got to the departure gate i was quick swiftly pulled and castigated for trying to take an extra bag on the plane, after about 20 minutes of me telling them i cannot pay for this and i will just have to miss the flight as i cant leave my laptop it has important documents on it they called a senior manager...when she arrived i give her all the same sob story and eventually she told me i was lucky that the flight was under weight so they could allow me on the flight "this time" thank f*k for that "result"......but i was made to look a right cock infront of all the other passengers........probably worth it lol.

since then lesson learned, never fly with qatar again :) thank you emirates for allowing my laptop bag for free ............

I don't want to imply anything, but I have been traveling with Qatar Airways many times and never had a problem with my laptop bag.

But then again mine doesn't weigh 11 kgs :o.

Yermanee :jap:

I booked my girl friend Bangkok to Christchurch New Zealand. Emirates. I told her bring all your clothes baby you are here for a while.

I was thinking maybe $50 for another case. Emirates describe themselves as having one of the most generous baggage policies in the world.

Then I found out

I don't think very generous .Same as Quatar. 1000 bath per kg overweight. That is sinister

If she carried 20 kg in another case the price of luggage was the same as her ticket.

No more emirates for me.

Baggage Allowances and Rules - Baggage - Essential Information - Emirates Online Booking and Planning - Emirates

Does anyone know how I can advise her a reasonable price method for shifting a 20 kg case.

Edited by peterquixote

I booked my girl friend Bangkok to Christchurch New Zealand. Emirates. I told her bring all your clothes baby you are here for a while.

I was thinking maybe $50 for another case. Emirates describe themselves as having one of the most generous baggage policies in the world.

The do. You won't find many airlines that give 30KG in economy.

Considering that most airlines have run at a deficit for decades, it's about time they do whatever they can to get the ledgers into the black. It's that or go out of business. There are 3 options in cases like this: 1. Pack less, 2. carry everything with you including the kitchen sink and pay the fee, or 3. find alternate travel arrangements. Welcome to the brave new world.

On another note, I am often amazed at the sheer volume of luggage some people carry with them while traveling. Having been a professional traveler for decades, I have staid away from home base for up to one month with only the contents of 1 small roller-bag that fits in an overhead compartment and 1 backpack. I NEVER check luggage. Anything I need that I have not packed, I purchase at my destination..

I agree to wearing your heavy stuff.

All this really sucks as I do a lot to keep my body weight down: Jogging, swimming, eating healthy food and weigh only 10 lbs more than I did in high school.

The norm, however tends to be closer to double that.

So, why do I pay the same for an airline ticket as the one who weighs twice as much as me?

And American based airlines are by far the most rude in my experiences.

Agree to your take on fatsos. Besides the same fare that we pay as the tubs of lard, sitting next to him/her for 10 hours is worse than a baht bus on Sukhumvit at 5PM.

And to your remark about the rudeness of American based airlines, we have unions to thank for that. Seniority. That means that grumpy old flight attendants cannot be retired in favor of attractive (and attentive) younger ones, unlike locals airlines such as Nok Air who hire based on attractiveness.