Thai Student Nazi Dress-Up Day Causes Outrage

webfact

To come up with all the Nazi paraphernalia, goose step etc, research must have been done by the kids probably the idea of their teacher as this years subject. All here who say it's OK and fun need to get a grip.

Thousands of subjects out there and they pick mass murderers.

So, for you fun guy's, next year it's Jap officers complete with Samurai swords holding Ozzy and Brit severed heads aloft to please the crowd.

Yep, thought so, you think it's good fun and the school know nothing about history. ;)

I think you are being a little bit dramatic here. Was thier theme this year antic semitic complete with gas chambers?

P.S it's Aussie and not Ozzy short for Australia, Ozzy is American as in Ozzy Osbourne :jap:

For me it's Ozzy, and you have spelling mistakes which l hate to bring up.

Gas chambers, no pickup big enough but the machine guns were in place eh.:rolleyes:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely off topic again. The topic is, should schools sponsor parades with a Nazi theme? And in particular Catholic schools (given their complicity in the Nazi regime)?

No one gives a hoot if kids wear Nazi uniforms on a field trip to the mall. No one cares if anyone writes a sitcom where Nazis are depicted as brainless buffoons.

This thread is about a scholastic institution promoting Nazism be it with knowledge or without knowledge of what Nazism means.

Really, please put just a little thought into your posts.

The topic is NOT; should schools sponsor parades with a Nazi theme?

A school field trip would be a school sponsored event.

A number of people get upset and have got upset about Nazi comedies including the sitcom Hogan Heroes but I am guessing since it was not Thais doing this then you have no concern for these people who were upset.

This thread is also not about a school "promoting" Nazism because there is absolutely no indication that is what they did and the apology letter made no indication what-so-ever that is what they were doing. You are free to speculate on such but it certainly is not what the thread is about except in your claimed reality.

Do you honestly believe that this parade was given completely free rein by the teachers and no one apart from students knew about this until the actual event. If you do , then you also must agree that the school was guilty of total negligence. Either way they were negligent.

The school took responsibility and apologized. The apology was accepted by the Israeli embassy who said they didn't believe there was any ill will meant.

A teacher (foreign) at the school said: 'It was all very embarrassing. Traditionally the students wear fancy dress on the summer sports day and they like to keep everything they are preparing quiet. Nobody saw any swastikas around the school before the event..

Edited by Nisa

Have you never been to a toga party?

My point is that different things upset different people.

You are a visitor to this country, and as such accept their ways.

It's pathetic seeing all these self-important foreigners complain about a harmless bit of fun that has absolutely nothing to do with them. You will never be happy here until you learn to accept what you cannot change.

Dressing up as Nazis seems to be a recurrent theme of the Thai school system. I guess we should get used to it in order to be happy in Thailand. Do you accept everything you can't change here Johnniey? How about under age sex workers in Thai brothels on the Cambodia or Burma border? Do you think that's OK?

Acceptance is the key to happiness for sure. I try to accept everything that I can't change, but I'm not perfect. Why on earth would I not accept the things I can't change?

Are you so important that you only accept the things that you think are ok?

I have no problems with your criticism of Okerkommando and I don't like 'sweeping generalisations' [sic] either.

However, your use of the term 'Thai race' piqued my curiosity about the notion of such. Before that, you used the term 'Thai people' in your response. I found this interesting Asia Pacific Nationalism and genetics: Thai obsession with race which was based on two Bangkok Post articles.

The first article covers issues resulting from DNA analysis that could date habitation of Thailand at several thousand years ago. The article ends with this:

They* would undermine the pathetic but nonetheless worrying efforts of these Thai academics to give to the concept of a "Thai race" a genetic justification as well as an historical depth which social sciences are unable (and for good reasons!) to provide them with.

* The 'they' referred to were open questions about whether the ancient inhabitants of the Thailand area were actual predecessors of the current 'Thai people' inhabiting the Kingdom of Thailand.

The second article ends with this paragraph:

Such an obsession for a "pure and old Thai race" is not new, nor is it isolated. It comes along with other obsessions, such as pride of the national flag. Eventually this produces a conceptual framework which reminds me, relatively speaking, of European racist and evolutionist theories at the end of the nineteen century.

The Wiki Race and Genetics Entry lists only 9 population clusters with all of Southeast Asia as a single element. Not that the Wiki is necessarily the best source for anything, but it's, hopefully fairly truthful in the sciences. But maybe not this particular science. In any event, I hadn't heard of the 'Thai race' until your post.

I doubt the good OberKommando would refer to himself as a member of a 'German race' or even one of a 'Germanic race (assuming he is German). And even the Nazis dusted-off the 'Aryan race' to identify their roots. I would never refer to myself as a member of the 'Russian race' nor do the Russians. I don't mainly because I'm not a Russian national, though.

So let me ask you: Do you really believe there is a 'Thai race'?

If so, can you describe the 'Thai race' to us on as many levels as possible including be basis of this belief?

Thank You in Advance

Firstly, I've never studied anthropologogy so am not the best person to ask. Do I really believe there is a Thai race? - well I don't know but since you asked I'll give you my thoughts.

I'm sure you're aware of the first line of the Thai national anthem - - at the end(the last two words) I'd translate as "Thai race". So I believe that the Thai people consider themselves a race.

I used the word 'race' as I see racial discrimination from the person I was addressing so hence used the term race.

Personally, I believe that Thai people is more correct. From the little I know, I'd say Thais were of the 'Mongloid race' which includes quite a few SE Asian countries. Also, culturally, Thailand is more like India and China.

To come up with all the Nazi paraphernalia, goose step etc, research must have been done by the kids probably the idea of their teacher as this years subject. All here who say it's OK and fun need to get a grip.

So, for you fun guy's, next year it's Jap officers complete with Samurai swords holding Ozzy and Brit severed heads aloft to please the crowd.

Yep, thought so, you think it's good fun and the school know nothing about history. ;)

I think you are being a little bit dramatic here. Was thier theme this year antic semitic complete with gas chambers?

P.S it's Aussie and not Ozzy short for Australia, Ozzy is American as in Ozzy Osbourne :jap:

Ozzy Osbourne is an English bloke not an Amerian.

Edited by FOODLOVER

Have you never been to a toga party?

My point is that different things upset different people.

You are a visitor to this country, and as such accept their ways.

It's pathetic seeing all these self-important foreigners complain about a harmless bit of fun that has absolutely nothing to do with them. You will never be happy here until you learn to accept what you cannot change.

Dressing up as Nazis seems to be a recurrent theme of the Thai school system. I guess we should get used to it in order to be happy in Thailand. Do you accept everything you can't change here Johnniey? How about under age sex workers in Thai brothels on the Cambodia or Burma border? Do you think that's OK?

Acceptance is the key to happiness for sure. I try to accept everything that I can't change, but I'm not perfect. Why on earth would I not accept the things I can't change?

Are you so important that you only accept the things that you think are ok?

Cut to the chase. You can't accept prostitution, I can't accept kids dressed up like Nazis. I can't accept something done by a couple of hundred people twice in the last 5 years. You can't accept something done every day by millions of people for the last 1000 years.

Edited by kerryk

I have no problems with your criticism of Okerkommando and I don't like 'sweeping generalisations' [sic] either.

However, your use of the term 'Thai race' piqued my curiosity about the notion of such. Before that, you used the term 'Thai people' in your response. I found this interesting Asia Pacific Nationalism and genetics: Thai obsession with race which was based on two Bangkok Post articles.

The first article covers issues resulting from DNA analysis that could date habitation of Thailand at several thousand years ago. The article ends with this:

They* would undermine the pathetic but nonetheless worrying efforts of these Thai academics to give to the concept of a "Thai race" a genetic justification as well as an historical depth which social sciences are unable (and for good reasons!) to provide them with.

* The 'they' referred to were open questions about whether the ancient inhabitants of the Thailand area were actual predecessors of the current 'Thai people' inhabiting the Kingdom of Thailand.

Such an obsession for a "pure and old Thai race" is not new, nor is it isolated. It comes along with other obsessions, such as pride of the national flag. Eventually this produces a conceptual framework which reminds me, relatively speaking, of European racist and evolutionist theories at the end of the nineteen century.

The Wiki Race and Genetics Entry lists only 9 population clusters with all of Southeast Asia as a single element. Not that the Wiki is necessarily the best source for anything, but it's, hopefully fairly truthful in the sciences. But maybe not this particular science. In any event, I hadn't heard of the 'Thai race' until your post.

I doubt the good OberKommando would refer to himself as a member of a 'German race' or even one of a 'Germanic race (assuming he is German). And even the Nazis dusted-off the 'Aryan race' to identify their roots. I would never refer to myself as a member of the 'Russian race' nor do the Russians. I don't mainly because I'm not a Russian national, though.

If so, can you describe the 'Thai race' to us on as many levels as possible including be basis of this belief?

Thank You in Advance

Firstly, I've never studied anthropologogy so am not the best person to ask. Do I really believe there is a Thai race? - well I don't know but since you asked I'll give you my thoughts.

I'm sure you're aware of the first line of the Thai national anthem - - at the end(the last two words) I'd translate as "Thai race". So I believe that the Thai people consider themselves a race.

I used the word 'race' as I see racial discrimination from the person I was addressing so hence used the term race.

Personally, I believe that Thai people is more correct. From the little I know, I'd say Thais were of the 'Mongloid race' which includes quite a few SE Asian countries. Also, culturally, Thailand is more like India and China.

Your argument is moot as your translation is wrong.

http://en.wikipedia....National_Anthem

First English translation of first sentence

Thailand unites flesh and blood of Thais,

Second English translation of first sentence

Thailand unites its people with flesh and blood,

Third English translation of first sentence

Thailand embraces in its bosom all people of Thai blood ,
Edited by Nisa

Ozzy Osbourne is an English bloke not an Amerian.

:jap:

Cut to the chase. You can't accept prostitution, I can't accept kids dressed up like Nazis. I can't accept something done by a couple of hundred people twice in the last 5 years. You can't accept something done every day by millions of people for the last 1000 years.

I have absolutely nothing against prostitution. Of course I accept it. I've had good friends who were prostitutes in this country and my original one.

Accepting the things you cannot change has nothing to do with if you think it's ok.

Completely off topic again. The topic is, should schools sponsor parades with a Nazi theme? And in particular Catholic schools (given their complicity in the Nazi regime)?

No one gives a hoot if kids wear Nazi uniforms on a field trip to the mall. No one cares if anyone writes a sitcom where Nazis are depicted as brainless buffoons.

This thread is about a scholastic institution promoting Nazism be it with knowledge or without knowledge of what Nazism means.

A number of people get upset and have got upset about Nazi comedies including the sitcom Hogan Heroes but I am guessing since it was not Thais doing this then you have no concern for these people who were upset.

This thread is also not about a school "promoting" Nazism because there is absolutely no indication that is what they did and the apology letter made no indication what-so-ever that is what they were doing. You are free to speculate on such but it certainly is not what the thread is about except in your claimed reality.

It would be great for your argument if you could change the topic of the thread as most of your posts are written for a different topic. But the topic is “Students Nazi dress up day causes outrage.” That topic clearly has to do with students and a school sponsored parade. Saying the teachers didn't know anything about the Nazi theme only makes the teachers look incompetent. And teaching in the Thai school system for a number of years I can guarantee you it didn't happen, the teachers knew.

By allowing the students to dress up as Nazis the school promoted Nazi chic as an appropriate dress for special school occasions.

I watched Hogans heroes, it was poorly done but no one at the time got upset about it. It ran for 6 years.

The Germans didn't like it and it had only a short run in Germany.

Saying the teachers didn't know anything about the Nazi theme only makes the teachers look incompetent.

I would say that the teacher's knew AND they are incompetent.

Absolutely right, and no way did the kids fund OR supply, source the stuff needed to make the paraphernalia. ;)

It would be great for your argument if you could change the topic of the thread as most of your posts are written for a different topic. But the topic is "Students Nazi dress up day causes outrage." That topic clearly has to do with students and a school sponsored parade. Saying the teachers didn't know anything about the Nazi theme only makes the teachers look incompetent. And teaching in the Thai school system for a number of years I can guarantee you it didn't happen, the teachers knew.

By allowing the students to dress up as Nazis the school promoted Nazi chic as an appropriate dress for special school occasions.

I watched Hogans heroes, it was poorly done but no one at the time got upset about it. It ran for 6 years.

The Germans didn't like it and it had only a short run in Germany.

How many times are you going to tell us a different line about what the topic is about?

As for teachers lying about knowing ... I guess the farang teacher who expressed outrage is also lying in saying he and the other teachers were clueless before hand.

Re: Hogans Heroes ... again, you are clueless as to the condemnation it received by some people/group when it aired. It also was not broadcast on German TV until the early 90's. During its original run, it was broadcast on the American Armed Forces Network but stopped at the request of the German Government. (i guess because some people didn't have a problem with it???)

Your argument is moot as your translation skills need improvement.

OK, you belive that wikipedia are better translators than I - I disagree.

How would you translate it?

You are 100% wrong in claiming the first like claims Thais as a race. Why don't you simply ask a Thai who is fluent in both Thai and English. I can understand how you may have thought this but it is wrong.

Edited by Nisa

How many times are you going to tell us a different line about what the topic is about?

As for teachers lying about knowing ... I guess the farang teacher who expressed outrage is also lying in saying he and the other teachers were clueless before hand.

Re: Hogans Heroes ... again, you are clueless as to the condemnation it received by some people/group when it aired. It also was not broadcast on German TV until the early 90's. During its original run, it was broadcast on the American Armed Forces Network but stopped at the request of the German Government. (i guess because some people didn't have a problem with it???)

To try and get back to the topic I guess it boils down to I think the teachers knew what was going to happen and you don't.

As a Farang teacher I witnessed many sport days and I didn't have a clue what they were about beforehand except for the costumes and marching. They tried on the outfits weeks beforehand and practiced marching beforehand.

Anyone who has any knowledge of the Thai educational system would not buy the statement that the Thai teachers did not know about the Sports Day costumes or banners.

Your argument is moot as your translation skills need improvement.

OK, you belive that wikipedia are better translators than I - I disagree.

How would you translate it?

You are 100% wrong in claiming the first like claims Thais as a race. Why don't you simply ask a Thai who is fluent in both Thai and English. I can understand how you may have thought this but it is wrong.

Why not ask a Englishman that is fluent in Thai and English?

Let me guess - you asked your Thai wife?

Thank You in Advance

Good answer, Johnniey. Thanks. There may be something strange going on between your translation of the meaning of the anthem's first sentence and the Wiki's (Thanks, Nisa). I'm wondering why there are three English translations on the Wiki. They're close, but there seems to a difference between 'unites' and 'embraces in its bosom'.

I sometimes tell people people I'm 'African-American' and when they don't believe me I tell them that my ancestors came from Africa 200,000 (depending on the archaeologist) years ago! There seems to be a notion that one had to be black to be 'African-American'.

Edited by MaxYakov

Thank You in Advance

I'm wondering why there are three English translations on the Wiki. They're close, but there seems to a difference between 'unites' and 'embraces in its bosom'.

Translations from other languages often are different because of numerous factors including flowery speech, multiple definitions of individual words and idioms.

If you asked somebody to translate the expression it is raining cats and dog there is not a literal translation but the meaning would be very similar as is the case here. The first translation above is the generally accepted meaning but what is important in this discussion is that "race" is not being claimed. You will not find any reliable source to say they are claiming themselves as a race in their anthem because it simply is not the case.

Think about the word "embrace" ... is it a physical embrace or would it be embracing an idea?

Edited by Nisa

In any case, Thais are not a race. However, it is very naive indeed to assert many Thais don't think they are a race.

http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2006/12/18/nationalism-and-genetics-thai-obsession-with-race/

Such an obsession for a “pure and old Thai race” is not new, nor is it isolated. It comes along with other obsessions, such as pride of the national flag. Eventually this produces a conceptual framework which reminds me, relatively speaking, of European racist and evolutionist theories at the end of the nineteen century.

I'm wondering why there are three English translations on the Wiki. They're close, but there seems to a difference between 'unites' and 'embraces in its bosom'.

Translations from other languages often are different because of numerous factors including flowery speech and idioms.

If you asked somebody to translate the expression it is raining cats and dog there is not a literal translation but the meaning would be very similar as is the case here. The first translation above is the generally accepted meaning but what is important in this discussion is that "race" is not being claimed. You will not find any reliable source to say they are claiming themselves as a race in their anthem because it simply is not the case.

Ok, I'll go with 'embraces in the bosom' the next time I sing the Anthem in English. It has more ... appeal to me.

Your argument is moot as your translation skills need improvement

Because generally an Englishman didn't grow up in Thailand listening to and being taught the Thai Anthem.

Are you really this insistent in being ignorant? You made a claim that was wrong and I said it was understandable but it was wrong.

Did you know that the composer of the Thai national anthem was German?

Actually the music and lyrics were composed by 3 people. I know that one of them (Phra Jenduriyang / Peter Feit) had a German father but not sure what that has to do with incorrectly stating that the Thai anthem says Thais are a race.

Edited by Nisa

Did you know that the composer of the Thai national anthem was German?

I guess so, as you seem to know it all. Did your wife grow up in England?

Don't get freaked-out - it was (according to the trusty Wiki) Peter Feit who also had a Thai name.

He was the son of a German immigrant and royal advisor for music. (Wiki)

Did that make him German-Siamese or Siamese-German, I can't help wondering?

Edited by metisdead
Deleted post edited out of reply.

Saying the teachers didn't know anything about the Nazi theme only makes the teachers look incompetent.

I would say that the teacher's knew AND they are incompetent.

Absolutely right, and no way did the kids fund OR supply, source the stuff needed to make the paraphernalia. ;)

With all the Nazi banners hanging down from the school buildings before the event, it's hard to believe the teachers had no idea what was coming.

With all the Nazi banners hanging down from the school buildings before the event, it's hard to believe the teachers had no idea what was coming.

And I wonder how many rehearsals they had and where?

The teacher's knew about the parade, but I can accept the know nothings knew much about the history of Nazism or bothered to do any research......that's more like work, a no no.

I wonder how far up Doi Suthep on her knees that nun has got?