Tinned Beer

Eff1n2ret

I am not a great fan of the yellow fizz that passes for beer in this part of the world (German and Belgian lagers are something else entirely), but I can just about get along with the stuff in bottles or on draught.

However, I have developed a positive dislike of tinned beer, which has an acrid bite to my palate, and I have convinced myself that there is some additive in the tinned stuff which is not present elsewhere. Some of my friends agree that bottled or draught tastes better, but maybe they are just humouring me.

I am quite willing to accept this may be an irrational prejudice on my part, but I wondered whether there is someone with actual knowledge of the commercial brewing industry who could throw light on this. Do they put some extra chemical into cans, or is it gassed up differently, or what?

Beer tastes horrible from a can only because of the smell from the aluminium. Smell makes up a large portion of what we perceive as taste.

If you pour your beer into a clean (soap free) glass your beer will taste a lot better than drinking from the can.

But on Thai beer it really doesn't matter.

I have developed a positive dislike of tinned beer

Have you tried drinking it with a straw? Perfect. :)

Or………………………have you ever had to wait till your tongue swells up and bitch-slaps you for a wet of beer………….From a can……..Shit, I'd drink it though a 65 year old hookers gusset, after she's been grinding the dance pole all night, (and I do mean dance pole, not love pole) if that's what was called for….pussy's…

Try Heineken in a mug on the rocks. If your a beer drinker, best way to go. Low alcohol content and tastes pretty good also.

The rocks must add flavour then, do you buy any particular type of rocks or just pick up what's lying around in the garden?

Edited by PattayaParent

Try Heineken in a mug on the rocks. If your a beer drinker, best way to go. Low alcohol content and tastes pretty good also.

Heineken tastes good and has low alcohol.......LOL.....anyone who drinks Heineken is not a real beer drinker....its a pussies beer....:D

The rocks must add flavour then, do you buy any particular type of rocks or just pick up what's lying around in the garden?

Pick up the ones you pissed on the night before, because you were too drunk/lazy to go inside and pee.

If you are a beer drinker and have only Thai-Heineken on hand, I recommend to mix it with Coke.

I am on the way to stop drinking alcohol at all, due to the bad taste of beer in Thailand.

Large bottles of Chang beer is the best or really it's a lager with a bit of a beerey taste but it's strong so that's why I find not so many tend to drink it.

That's good, all the more for me.

As for can beer good answer already given, pour it into a glass.

Edited by Kwasaki

Heineken tastes good and has low alcohol.......LOL.....anyone who drinks Heineken is not a real beer drinker....its a pussies beer....:D

I agree and I also do not particularly get off on Heineken, but have acquired a taste for it for one reason only. I don't like change, especially in what I drink on a regular basis. I used to drink Kloster (yeah I know) way back when and then it was gone. Even when it was still around Thailand, I would be without it when I worked in China. One thing Heineken has going for it is that I can buy it about anywhere I go and it all taste the same. So I guess I have stayed with it for that one main reason over the years. Heinekens marketing and distribution system is what made it the largest selling beer, not the taste I can assure you. So if that makes me a pussy, then I'm a pussy:)

Low alcohol content and tastes pretty good also.

Dont quite see the point of low alcohol beer. :blink:

I drink Chang Extra (6.5%) out of tins through a straw, or poured into a glass. Tastes OK to me, and works out cheaper than weaker beers. Most other locally-brewed beers here are just too bland to be drinkable. So-called draught beers seem to be particularly anaemic.

I drink Chang Extra (6.5%) out of tins through a straw, or poured into a glass. Tastes OK to me, and works out cheaper than weaker beers. Most other locally-brewed beers here are just too bland to be drinkable. So-called draught beers seem to be particularly anaemic.

Sure you dont mean Cheers Extra(red tin)?, Chang do,classic, draught and light.

I agree and I also do not particularly get off on Heineken, but have acquired a taste for it for one reason only. I don't like change, especially in what I drink on a regular basis. I used to drink Kloster (yeah I know) way back when and then it was gone. Even when it was still around Thailand, I would be without it when I worked in China. One thing Heineken has going for it is that I can buy it about anywhere I go and it all taste the same. So I guess I have stayed with it for that one main reason over the years. Heinekens marketing and distribution system is what made it the largest selling beer, not the taste I can assure you. So if that makes me a pussy, then I'm a pussy:)

Mates who are Heinny drinkers disagree with that.

They tell me that Thai Heinny is the worst tasting while Singapore Heinny is the best and VN is good too.

I can agree that the Thai Heinny tastes awful but I don't drink it anywhere if I can avoid it. I might just try h90 solution of adding coke next time.

Sure you dont mean Cheers Extra(red tin)?

Had a look in the fridge. You're right! I just pick up the big red tin in the supermarket.

I never order it anywhere, because no one ever has it.

I go for Chang when I have to order it from someone in a restaurant etc.

Cheers, Chang. What's in a name? :blink:

Simpsons_Duff_Lite_Dry.jpg

cheaper than weaker beers indeed, just as pure ethyl alcohol is cheaper if all you are after is getting pissed.

perhaps you should try an intravenous drip, i hear that is a great cost saver

In the UK i can only drink beer out (pub) in a glass or beer at home in a can. I will never drink out of bottles as they taste different.

However in thailand

I drink beer from bottles and cans. bottles taste better but cans still ok. thai beer in a glass i cannot.

make of that as you like :) but for me it all depends on what beer you are drinking i guess.

cheaper than weaker beers indeed, just as pure ethyl alcohol is cheaper if all you are after is getting pissed.

I drink one beer per day, in the evening, before my supper.

I like it to have some flavour, and be strong enough that I don't feel the desire to drink two as that would leave me feeling bloated and would probably make me put on weight which I am trying to avoid.

That red can I buy fits the bill nicely.

The only exception to this is once a week when I eat pizza. With that I have two smaller weaker Chang beers, as it washes the pizza down.

If I wanted to get drunk (which I don't, thanks) I would drink Bombay gin with tonic water, or decent Champagne, as they never give me a headache.

I have developed a positive dislike of tinned beer

Have you tried drinking it with a straw? Perfect. :)

And put a little umbrella in the tab and hang a lemon slice over the side.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Edited by cmjantje

perhaps you should try an intravenous drip, i hear that is a great cost saver

But you have to mix the ethyl alcohol into a punch to make it drinkable and that would make it more expensive again.

(ex 'eth' and 'flash' drinker in Kuwait)

Heiniken does make for a good illustration of the effect of cans on the taste though. Pour a can of Heineken into glass and you'll find that the "skunk" taste that it often has when served in bottles. Some people don't like it that way though, since many people think that the skunky taste that comes from the beer being light struck is the way that good beer is supposed to taste.

Edited by OriginalPoster