Non-Immigrant O Visa Versus Retirement Extension

My plans involve staying in Thailand for 11 months of the year, returning to the UK for 1 month a year.

I currently stay in Thailand on a Non-Immigrant 'O' visa and I am happy to visit neighbouring countries, for holidays, every 90 days-ish. Whilst not a major objective, I am sure I can get 15 months out of each visa.

I am debating whether to apply for a an extension based on retirement. I have no problem meeting the income requirement.

I am not enamoured by the prospect of 90 day reporting but I suspect that this is more of a perceived hassle than reality - local immigration are only an hour away.

I am attracted by visits to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam so the re-entry permit cost of 3,900 Baht would apply. I would save the Non-Imm 'O' cost of circa 5,000 Baht but would pay 1,900 Baht (plus sundry costs) to apply for the extension.

On balance I like the 'permanency' of the extension but have a slight reluctance to deal with local immigration - to whom you seem to have to cow-tow to get the simplest things done. The Non-Imm 'O' seems to give a greater feeling of 'freedom' and independence - I accept that you lose that 'certainty' of being able to reside in the Kingdom, but for all practical purposes you are always going to be allowed re-entry.

Does anyone else have a different take on the pluses and minuses - and is there anything that have not considered (or misconstrued) ?

Hi cardholder, I'm in the same boat as you, but don't have the cash. So it's off to Lao every 3 months. Not that far for me, but a goat track of a road. I guess it;s 6 of one or half a dozen of the other. In saying that I was lead to believe you could do your 3 month report at the local police station if you were far from the immigration center. Jim

Hi cardholder, I'm in the same boat as you, but don't have the cash. So it's off to Lao every 3 months. Not that far for me, but a goat track of a road. I guess it;s 6 of one or half a dozen of the other. In saying that I was lead to believe you could do your 3 month report at the local police station if you were far from the immigration center. Jim

Many Offices allow Postal Reports, check that out.

Hi James, I believe the 'rules' also stated that address reporting could be done by post - Korat don't seem to apply this rule. wasn't aware of the local cop shop option

As you plan to only stay 11 months and return to where you can easily obtain a new visa each year and like to travel suspect doing as you do now is the best choice - when you get tired of the traveling is when you should consider extensions of stay.

Hi James, I believe the 'rules' also stated that address reporting could be done by post - Korat don't seem to apply this rule. wasn't aware of the local cop shop option

Although 90 day reporting is not allowed by post @ Dan Kwien (Korat) Immigration, they are very friendly and efficient. It typically takes me between 2 minutes & 15 minutes (depending on the queue) to do a 90 day report.

It's all quite painless. My last 1 year marriage extension + 90 day report took around 20 minutes....

As you plan to only stay 11 months and return to where you can easily obtain a new visa each year and like to travel suspect doing as you do now is the best choice - when you get tired of the traveling is when you should consider extensions of stay.

Good point, but I also realise that if I keep getting an extra 3 months on each Non-Imm 'O' visa (by holidaying and returning to Thailand just before the visa expiry), I will soon fall out of sync with my travel plans i.e. to return the UK in August each year.

On balance I am starting to lean towards the retirement extension. Presumably, if I am applying on an income basis, I will need to get the income verification letter from the British Consul each year (at a cost of 2,250 Baht).

Does anyone do this by post ?

Assuming the Non Imm O Visa would be from the UK, are you certain that they will issue one? The rules have been tightened. I used to go down this route for reasons similar to you to avoid going to Immigration etc. But now, I have no choice but to do the retirement extension.

I did my first extension last week. It was all pretty painless and straightforward. And the knowledge that I do NOT have to do a visa run every 90 days (with expenses) is a nice feeling.

The yearly non imm o multi entry can be obtained yearly, they will cancel the old one if it is still valid, and then issue a fresh one. this would entail three border runs each 11 month visit.

the costs are - 5000baht for visa from home country vs 1900baht,extension at immigration, + 2300baht income letter, +3900baht multi re-entry permit.

the other thing is if you do regular border runs using your re-enty permit, the 90day reporting clock would be reset each re-entry.

but as lopburi3 posted the easy way while it fits in with your plans, is to obtain a non imm o multi entry visa. thats the way i would go, but we all have different thoughts.

If you have proof of 900 pounds income do not believe there is any problem getting visa in UK if over age 50.

I based my advise on your posting "staying in Thailand for 11 months of the year". There is no requirement to use 15 months so that is a false argument (will cause you to change schedule). That would be of your doing not the visa. :)

But if you are going to make that argument indeed do believe you need to start the extension process. Cost will be 1,900 plus 3,800 plus Embassy letter plus trip to Immigration. This will be every 12 months (not 15) and if you do not travel for 90 days you will have to report address.

Assuming the Non Imm O Visa would be from the UK, are you certain that they will issue one? The rules have been tightened. I used to go down this route for reasons similar to you to avoid going to Immigration etc. But now, I have no choice but to do the retirement extension.

I did my first extension last week. It was all pretty painless and straightforward. And the knowledge that I do NOT have to do a visa run every 90 days (with expenses) is a nice feeling.

I have no problem satisfying the criteria for the issue of a Non-Imm 'O' on the basis of over 50, with income min GBP 900 p.m., visiting Thailand.

I agree about the visa runs but in my case I can take the opportunity to holiday. I never tire of going to Siem Reap (4 hours away by road) or visiting new places. The 90 days exit gave a reason to take a holiday.

If you have proof of 900 pounds income do not believe there is any problem getting visa in UK if over age 50.

I based my advise on your posting "staying in Thailand for 11 months of the year". There is no requirement to use 15 months so that is a false argument (will cause you to change schedule). That would be of your doing not the visa. :)

But if you are going to make that argument indeed do believe you need to start the extension process. Cost will be 1,900 plus 3,800 plus Embassy letter plus trip to Immigration. This will be every 12 months (not 15) and if you do not travel for 90 days you will have to report address.

thanks again. I agree - it is me (not the visa) that would cause timings to move out of sync.

However, I guess this is what it is all about - fitting one's own personal circumstances to the visa requirements and finding the best solution.

I think I will start to get everything ready for the retirement extension.

There is no local cop shop option.

You have to report at the office who issued your extension.Most do accept postal reporting.

In my view making 90 day reports is preferable to having to leave the country every 90 days.

You can report at any immigration office in the Kingdom, not just the one where the extention was issued.