Cheap House Building

jonik

The house has very simple solutions ,but at that price.........

Is this a normal cost............

I suppose you get what you pay for.

At first glance the "house" looks like a cheap construction - galvanised steel roof, no guttering etc., air bricks for ventilation (unsuitable for air con.), in fact, no better than a shed for storing non perishable stuff. I wouldn't choose to live in it but sure reckon that I could build it for less than Bt880K.

The house as it is is definitely not worth 880k baht. No doors, windows, etc. Also from the picture I can not tell about the quality of the construction and whether it will fall down soon or not. The eaves are small so this is an indication that it was built to save money. It is possible that the house could be worth 880k but only if the windows, doors, kitchen, and baths (maybe 2 or 3 baths?) were all done with high quality fixtures, equipment, tileing and details....but....looking at what they've done so far it seems more likely that these will be done cheaply too.

You really haven't given us enough to evaluate.

• 4 weeks later...

Dont jump to conclusions...it could be OK once they have finished it :o

Little duck pond at the front with the Barbi on the go,couple of deck chairs........some cold beers on a barmy winters night.....

asbestos.............? Do they use asbestos in los.... is that legal ?

Asbestos cement is used in making wall sheeting, roofing, and drain pipes....but don't worry because the asbestos used is not the dangerous kind...I am careful, however to not breath any of the dust whenever I cut any of this material.

You might not believe me on this...when I've told other people about this they are really sceptical....go google about this and read a variety of sites and I think you will agree with what I've said.

I will go slightly off topic to Pakistan to where I spent 7 months as a site construction supervisor and say you don't always get what you pay for unless you are actually on site making sure it is done properly. That is one reason for the houses collapsing after the earthquake in Pakistan.

Back on topic.

I live with my family in a 150 sq/m 2 floor house.

My wife was here on site for the 8 months it took to build and we contracted out the building work and paid for the materials ourselves. Excluding the land the house cost about 1,000,000 to build up in the central region.

The bottom is brick and the upper floor is wood including a lot of teak from another house that my wife had.

We also built a small house 25 sq/m for my wife to live in while we built the bigger one, and that was only 40,000 for labour, again we paid for the materials.

I hopefully have attached a couple of pictures.

I will go slightly off topic to Pakistan to where I spent 7 months as a site construction supervisor and say you don't always get what you pay for unless you are actually on site making sure it is done properly. That is one reason for the houses collapsing after the earthquake in Pakistan.

Back on topic.

I live with my family in a 150 sq/m 2 floor house.

My wife was here on site for the 8 months it took to build and we contracted out the building work and paid for the materials ourselves. Excluding the land the house cost about 1,000,000 to build up in the central region.

The bottom is brick and the upper floor is wood including a lot of teak from another house that my wife had.

We also built a small house 25 sq/m for my wife to live in while we built the bigger one, and that was only 40,000 for labour, again we paid for the materials.

I hopefully have attached a couple of pictures.

post-5614-1134278946_thumb.jpgpost-5614-1134279288_thumb.jpg

post-5614-1134278840.jpg

Asbestos cement is used in making wall sheeting, roofing, and drain pipes....but don't worry because the asbestos used is not the dangerous kind...I am careful, however to not breath any of the dust whenever I cut any of this material.

You might not believe me on this...when I've told other people about this they are really sceptical....go google about this and read a variety of sites and I think you will agree with what I've said.

Quite correct, Chownah.

I worked for Mintex in Uk for a short while.

There are two types of asbestos, blue and white.

You still have to inform the DoE when you move a truck load of the stuff but the white is nowhere near as dangerous as the blue stuff

Very nice Bill. :o

Good to see wide eaves shading your windows, that should cut down your A/C bills.

Klong Lan Pattana ?  Nearest city?

Actually udon I have only had the A/C on twice this year for a hour to see if it still worked.

I am about 60 km south west of Khampaeng Phet and 125 km north west of Nakhon Sawan on the edge of the Mae Wong National park. Probably about 60 km directly from Burma but there is no road so I would have to go up to Tak and back down again.

Been here a couple of years and I love it. I am surrounded by hills and mountains and all the fresh air I can breathe.

We have one set of traffic lights but I have never seen them work properly yet. I hane a couple of problems though.

The nearest landline is 4 1/2 km away and we have been o n the waiting list for 2 years now and sometimes in the dry season we dont always get water sometimes for 3 or 4 days at a time.

Every year I build extra storage tanks and it never seems to be enough. We can't drill for a borehole as less than a metre down we are into rock and I suspect I would need something like a diamond drill bit used on oil wells.

Apart from that I love it here. We have 15 rai and are renting another 11.

There is my wife and 16 month old son, her brother, sister in law and their 4 year old boy, a friend and her 3 year old daughter and a guy, his wife and the odd son or two who work for us.

This is why we need water storage.

billd

Quite correct, Chownah.

You still have to inform the DoE when you move a truck load of the stuff but the white is nowhere near as dangerous as the blue stuff

Near as dangerous..................well if it's dangerous at all i wouldn't use it just because it's cheap :o

Quite correct, Chownah.

Near as dangerous..................well if it's dangerous at all i wouldn't use it just because it's cheap :o

Regular old concrete is dangerous if you cut it with a diamond blade or an abrasive wheel and breath in the dust....the best thing is for you to go out on the internet and educate yourself about asbestos rather than to.....oh forget it...you better not use it 'cause its "dangerous".

You are already using it.

It's in the brake friction material in your car, and in the clutch and in the alternator.

Better stop using the car and keep away from all roads if you don't want to breath it.

Near as dangerous..................well if it's dangerous at all i wouldn't use it just because it's cheap :D

It's in the brake friction material in your car, and in the clutch and in the alternator.

Better stop using the car and keep away from all roads if you don't want to breath it.

If in doubt of present /past exposure get yerself on the Register...yer widow might need the dosh....X Shipyard Spark..me :o

Asbestos :D

At least 3500 people in Great Britain die each year from mesothelioma and asbestos related lung cancer as a result of past exposure to asbestos.

Annual numbers of deaths are predicted to go on rising into the next decade.

Analyses of mesothelioma deaths indicate that many deaths are due to heavy asbestos exposures in industries like shipbuilding and railway engineering in the past.

If current control measures are not adhered to, asbestos removal workers are now potentially at the highest risk, as are workers involved in the refurbishment, repair or maintenance of buildings - such as plumbers, carpenters and electricians.

Asbestos still kills!

Asbestos was used extensively as a building material in GB from the 1950s through to the mid 1980s. Although some of this material has been removed over the years, there are many thousands of tonnes of asbestos still present in buildings. It is estimated that over half a million non-domestic premises currently have some form of asbestos in them. There is extensive repair and removal work, which will continue for the foreseeable future

http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/

Near as dangerous..................well if it's dangerous at all i wouldn't use it just because it's cheap :D

If in doubt of present /past exposure get yerself on the Register...yer widow might need the dosh....X Shipyard Spark..me :o

Asbestos :D

At least 3500 people in Great Britain die each year from mesothelioma and asbestos related lung cancer as a result of past exposure to asbestos.

Annual numbers of deaths are predicted to go on rising into the next decade.

Analyses of mesothelioma deaths indicate that many deaths are due to heavy asbestos exposures in industries like shipbuilding and railway engineering in the past.

If current control measures are not adhered to, asbestos removal workers are now potentially at the highest risk, as are workers involved in the refurbishment, repair or maintenance of buildings - such as plumbers, carpenters and electricians.

Asbestos still kills!

Asbestos was used extensively as a building material in GB from the 1950s through to the mid 1980s. Although some of this material has been removed over the years, there are many thousands of tonnes of asbestos still present in buildings. It is estimated that over half a million non-domestic premises currently have some form of asbestos in them. There is extensive repair and removal work, which will continue for the foreseeable future

http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/

The asbestos used in asbestos cement (from which wallboard, roofing tiles, and pipes area made) is not the same as the asbestos used in insulation materials (which are found in homes and ships). Asbestos cement is not dangerous like the other kind. My advise is to go to the internet and read a variety of sites to learn the difference.

Ohhhh ............i'm sure the asbestos has been replaced with some other material.

At least it reads so on the package lable. :o