Laptop

Spaniel

My wife is now interested in getting a laptop. This will be her first and has zero computer experience. Yesterday I was looking at a Acer Aspire One for under 10,000 bhat that might be ok. It comes with Windows 7, Intel Atom processor, 2 GB of memory, 320 GB HDD, etc. Since their is a chance she will probably lose interest in I dont want to put a lot of money in one. Any other suggestions?

Try to buy a 15 inch laptop....for a 1 time user a 10 inch screen would be complicated for here to use, as she doesn't understand nothing windows xp or windows 7 and other things that comes with using a Pc.

Best starter software would be windows xp....sample...if she understand everything in a while....on windows 7...other software like windows xp would be a whole new experience again.

Edited by kamluan

Try to buy a 15 inch laptop....for a 1 time user a 10 inch screen would be complicated for here to use, as she doesn't understand nothing windows xp or windows 7 and other things that comes with using a Pc.

Best starter software would be windows xp....sample...if she understand everything in a while....on windows 7...other software like windows xp would be a whole new experience again.

Win XP - I read about that once in the history books :whistling:

Netbook is a perfect idea for a lady. However, if you really care about her, you won't buy her an Acer product. Look at ASUS instead. They have similar size models and prices, but far superior machines.

This is good advice.

Acer are pretty much the last brand you consider buying. Their components are low quality and support is awful. I've repaired a lot of Acer's for other people and its around $100 to send you out a recovery disk, for example.

All the big high street retailers are pushing Acer on their customers because their margins are better but you're getting a laptop with poor build quality and components. It is very much a situation of if you care for someone don't put an Acer in their hands.

ASUS are a good choice as they make rock solid motherboards.

Previously HP were the best choice but now they are spinning off their hardware business there's an element of uncertainty will them. I believe there's some good deals from them at the moment, perhaps because of this.

Dell are fine and priced well so long as you don't buy the optional extras they trying to flog you. Support from them is not good either.

Best of luck with the purchase.

If money is not an issue get an Apple and forget about Windows!!!

JH

Since their is a chance she will probably lose interest in I dont want to put a lot of money in one.

iPad

First, chances are she won't lose interest. Buy her one of the 99 cent Facebook apps, and done deal. She'll be glued to the screen all day.

Second, you can sell it on for not too much loss if she loses interest, or you can keep it for yourself.

Prediction: You'll keep it. I've given my iPad 1 to my son (4) who loves it, and gotten myself a new one. Seriously considering getting one as a laptop replacement for the wife, too.

In Thailand, the iPad has an additional advantage, which is the soft keyboard. Entering Thai with the soft keyboard is way easier than with a traditional keyboard where you have to press weird combinations of function keys to get what you want. My wife says she can type much faster on her iPhone than on her Mac, even though she has a Thai keyboard.

If you buy her a shitty 10k baht windows netbook that doesn't work, you're pretty much guaranteed she'll lose interest, and that's 10k baht lost. There is only so much laptop you can get for 10k baht - you get what you pay for.

A new iPad is 16k baht.