Sunrise Tacos Coming To Jomtien!

Jingthing

I was down in Pattaya/Jomtien this past weekend and ate at Sunrise Tacos twice - for dinner on Saturday and lunch on Sunday. Both times the place was crowded and it was clear that they were in the process of ironing out little kinks, but the food was excellent and the service had the best intentions. I'm a regular at Sunrise's Emporium location so I'm very familiar with their menu.

As for labeling what type of Mexican food Sunrise Tacos is, I think it's virtually impossible to define. The beauty of eating at a restaurant like this is their huge salsa bar, so you can customize your dish to your liking. Rarely is any dish at a Mexican restaurant served exactly as you like it, so being able to add salsas to spice and juice up the dish is a great asset!

Oh, and the beer is cold and very reasonably priced!

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was down in Pattaya/Jomtien this past weekend and ate at Sunrise Tacos twice - for dinner on Saturday and lunch on Sunday. Both times the place was crowded and it was clear that they were in the process of ironing out little kinks, but the food was excellent and the service had the best intentions. I'm a regular at Sunrise's Emporium location so I'm very familiar with their menu.

As for labeling what type of Mexican food Sunrise Tacos is, I think it's virtually impossible to define. The beauty of eating at a restaurant like this is their huge salsa bar, so you can customize your dish to your liking. Rarely is any dish at a Mexican restaurant served exactly as you like it, so being able to add salsas to spice and juice up the dish is a great asset!

Oh, and the beer is cold and very reasonably priced!

A true fan of Mexican food, or part of the ST team ... lurked for almost 5 years before making a post about ST.

The Yanks and Ivans never had as good of a mole back in the Cold War days. Bring on Salt II the movie.

How many of the critics here ever opened a business in Thailand or worked with Thai staff I wonder?

There is alot going on & as Gil explained there have been some opening week glitches...broken equipment, staff disappearing.

We need to give the staff a break here. They are Thai kids for the most part, taking orders for Mexican food from foreigners.

I was watching the boss train a staff. The menu is complex, like learning a foreign language.

(Can you imagine an English speaking kid, going to work in a Thai restaurant, that has been open a week, serving Russian food?)

I think these kids Gil hired are pretty brave for taking on a job like this.

How many of the critics here ever opened a business in Thailand or worked with Thai staff I wonder?

There is alot going on & as Gil explained there have been some opening week glitches...broken equipment, staff disappearing.

We need to give the staff a break here. They are Thai kids for the most part, taking orders for Mexican food from foreigners.

I was watching the boss train a staff. The menu is complex, like learning a foreign language.

(Can you imagine an English speaking kid, going to work in a Thai restaurant, that has been open a week, serving Russian food?)

I noticed they have self serve menus to just tick the boxes of what you want on the table, this would make ordering a lot easier in the early stages of operation.

I really appreciate this note. We have been training our staff in BKK for a full month before arriving in Pattaya. Learning complex names (Ranchiladas Enchiladas) for Thai native speakers is not a small hurdle. We will get there. On top of that, we have a very multi-national crowd. Even I have trouble with some English accents now and then! Like I said though, we will get there. Life in Thailand (22 years here) is in no small way a little about an excercise in patience.

I agree though, that our kitchen is still far too slow. We are now working on a variety of systems to improve speed / accuracy. We don't pre-prepare food though, everything is made fresh. We don't use a warming lamp also, my goal is to have it whisked off the service table immediately to your table still hot. My biggest pet peeve is cold food. Especially fries.

This weekend, we will be experimenting with runners, whose sole job is to bring food to the tables. Likely though, we will get some complaints that the runner does not know who ordered what! Alas, we are working on all kinks.

Best,

Gil

wow no posts for 16 hours, good or bad sign?

I would say that it is not a good sign. Drove past yesterday morning around 11am. There were no customers or staff visable from the outside.

As we open at 10am, our mornings are relatively quiet. However, we have hit daily sales records for each of the last consecutive 7 days. Please understand that when you make posts like this, you indirectly try to damage a man's hard fought restaurant. Please come at 7pm, see the crowd, then comment.

Thank you,

Gil

So is the delivery service online yet? If so, what's the phone number, service area, and charge for delivery, if any? Is delivered food charged plus plus or just plus? With delivery at least you can wait for the food in comfort. I agree 30 - 45 minutes is too long to wait for Mexican food service at the table.

BTW, a few days ago the owner mentioned some technical problems in the kitchen design that they were working on fixing that was making it very hard for them to keep the food warm. Thus, some people here have mentioned getting served cold food. Can people commenting on their experiences from now mention if they think that is fixed yet, or not?

This has been fixed. We have installed a second buffer door betweent the dining room, and the serving window. Cold air no longer blows across our serving window. We are also taking the fix one step further, by installing a second venting fan in the kitchen. We are ALSO going to downsize the main exhaust hood fan, so that we can run it continuously without fear of it cooling food at the window. We have been getting great remarks on our comment cards regarding the food quality. Alas, we are working on improving speed / accuracy which now remains on of our biggest challenges.

Best,

Gil

And still no comment on ++ for a fast food joint, where at present the boss even agrees service isn't up to scratch but you still get to pay extra for it.

Your "issues" regarding restaurants that have ++ policies are up for debate...some people consider them reasonable and others don't. I suggested in a post that the service charge just be incorporated in the menu price structure but for whatever reason, Sunrise, and others, chose to break it out separately. I am sure there is some logical reason for this.

However, what is not debatable is your contention that Sunrise is a "fast food" restaurant. The owner has stated that all items are cooked to order and there is a sit-down table service. There may be kinks to work out regarding service quality but it is definitely not a "fast food joint."

In addition, it's really only a "+" policy as the other plus is the VAT tax that is mandated by the government.

Edited by FarangBuddha

"Indirectly try to damage" Okay, I am sorry you feel that way and can assure it was not my goal, either indirectly or directly. I will consider myself persona non grata on this thread and will refrain from any more comments.

I think it's code for a summons/writ is coming your way :lol:

Good post! :thumbsup:

I'm impressed, Gil! I have not been to your restaurant yet, but will make the extra effort to stop by shortly. I'm from Southern California and love all variations of Mexican food!

I've never been in the restaurant biz, but have many friends who are/have been. It's a tough biz for sure. You seem to be doing a great job of addressing customers concerns. Internet forums can be rough places. :(

Keep up the good work!

Craig

The technical term for this restaurant is "Fast Casual"

And still no comment on ++ for a fast food joint, where at present the boss even agrees service isn't up to scratch but you still get to pay extra for it.

Your "issues" regarding restaurants that have ++ policies are up for debate...some people consider them reasonable and others don't. I suggested in a post that the service charge just be incorporated in the menu price structure but for whatever reason, Sunrise, and others, chose to break it out separately. I am sure there is some logical reason for this.

However, what is not debatable is your contention that Sunrise is a "fast food" restaurant. The owner has stated that all items are cooked to order and there is a sit-down table service. There may be kinks to work out regarding service quality but it is definitely not a "fast food joint."

In addition, it's really only a "+" policy as the other plus is the VAT tax that is mandated by the government.

I don't buy this fast food label at all. In the US or Mexico, a restaurant with an ambitious menu such as at Sunrise (as opposed to a basic taqueria) would simply be called a MEXICAN RESTAURANT. Sunrise is a Mexican restaurant, end of story.

Contrast with Chipotle chain in the US. You could call that fast food. Very limited menu. You wait in line and direct the staff to build your tacos or burritos from a steam table. You pay at a cashier on the way out of the line. They don't sell enchiladas, birria soup, tortilla soup, fajitas, quesadillas, chilaquilles, "wet" burritos, chimichangas, etc. Plus no table service.

http://www.chipotle.com/en-US/restaurants/the_chipotle_experience/the_chipotle_experience.aspx

Edited by Jingthing

I understand that sometimes the Sunrise chain changes their menu.

For example, I think they used to serve a chile relleno style dish that's no longer on the menu.

So just for fun, what would y'all like to see on the next revision of their menu?

I would love to see:

Real chile relleno platters and as a choice in burritos instead of meat!

Giant tamale platter served with red sauce and rice and beans (like the famous Roosevelt Tamale Parlor in San Francisco)

Tostadas with Mexican fish ceviche

Mexican style shrimp cocktails in a tall cocktail glass

post-37101-0-29136600-1323422779_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

I understand that sometimes the Sunrise chain changes their menu.

For example, I think they used to serve a chile relleno style dish that's no longer on the menu.

So just for fun, what would y'all like to see on the next revision of their menu?

I would love to see:

Real chile relleno platters and as a choice in burritos instead of meat!

Giant tamale platter served with red sauce and rice and beans (like the famous Roosevelt Tamale Parlor in San Francisco)

Tostadas with Mexican fish ceviche

Mexican style shrimp cocktails in a tall cocktail glass

post-37101-0-29136600-1323422779_thumb.j

Giant tamales

99 cent burrito

Chile relleno

Cheese enchiladas w/ tomatilla sauce

Shredded beef enchiladas

Chile relleno burrito

Real juevos rancheros (corn tortillas, refried beans, eggs, and salsa)

And some tips: Make all enchiladas with corn tortillas (standard) and not flour tortillas (which I have never seen anywhere). If, for some strange reason you want to make them with flour tortilla, make that an option. Present a free bowl of chips and salsa to every customer (standard for most Mexican restaurants in the West and I can think of two in Thailand that do this). Offer a taco with two soft corn tortillas instead of one. Make sure the girls wear much shorter skirts :) Customers will appreciate all of this. :)

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

I totally agree that many or most customers would very much appreciate a free SMALL portion of tortilla chips included with all meals. It's really over the top to ask 60 baht for a large portion if you only want a small portion as a teaser. Who knows, the samples may inspire many people to buy the bigger portion.

I also totally agree customers would appreciate a CHOICE of tortillas for the enchiladas. I don't have a strong opinion about the rarity of flour as a standard because I've never been big on enchiladas. Even the big enchiladas ...

Oh, I forget one for my "dream" Mexican menu.

Chicken in dark mole sauce

The complex kind of sauce that is cooked with some chocolate. For some reason, I have a hunch that Thai palates would love that dish, could be wrong!

post-37101-0-44921000-1323428561_thumb.j

Oh, some classic breakfasty ones ...

Huevos Rancheros

And also ...

Machaca platter (shredded beef cooked with eggs w/ rice and beans)

Edited by Jingthing

I totally agree that many or most customers would very much appreciate a free SMALL portion of tortilla chips included with all meals. It's really over the top to ask 60 baht for a large portion if you only want a small portion as a teaser. Who knows, the samples may inspire many people to buy the bigger portion.

I also totally agree customers would appreciate a CHOICE of tortillas for the enchiladas. I don't have a strong opinion about the rarity of flour as a standard because I've never been big on enchiladas. Even the big enchiladas ...

The complex kind of sauce that is cooked with some chocolate. For some reason, I have a hunch that Thai palates would love that dish, could be wrong!

Huevos Rancheros

And also ...

My favorite mexican dish of all time is huevos rancheros. Sunrise has one, but its not listed on the menu. We will be developing a local one here for the Pattaya market. My goal is to offer an unbelievable breakfast menu, with unlimited refills of coffee or tea. We now have both English and Thai newspapers daily on site, and shortly our own WiFi network. We are working on the pies tomorrow too, for offer on Sunday and Monday. We have been doing a steady business since 3pm today, Friday Pattaya traffic certainly does not help the cause!

A food writer visted us two nights ago while I was in BKK. He sent us very favorable comments, his only note was that our salsa bar can sometimes block the passage. Fair enough.

Best,

Gil

Just for the ++ complainers (and also do not complain I never post here), a close friend works in the kitchen and she confirmed, without me asking, that they get their share of the service charge every day although she saves it for the end of the month, avg. 70-100/day. Not a bad addition to their salary by local standards

Just for the ++ complainers (and also do not complain I never post here), a close friend works in the kitchen and she confirmed, without me asking, that they get their share of the service charge every day although she saves it for the end of the month, avg. 70-100/day. Not a bad addition to their salary by local standards

Good to hear. smile.gif

My favorite mexican dish of all time is huevos rancheros. Sunrise has one, but its not listed on the menu. We will be developing a local one here for the Pattaya market. My goal is to offer an unbelievable breakfast menu, with unlimited refills of coffee or tea. We now have both English and Thai newspapers daily on site, and shortly our own WiFi network. We are working on the pies tomorrow too, for offer on Sunday and Monday. We have been doing a steady business since 3pm today, Friday Pattaya traffic certainly does not help the cause!

Glad to hear you are free to do some custom menu items for your location. I thought you might be tied into the chain menu out of Bangkok.

As long as you're expanding the breakfast choices, maybe you might consider a machaca con huevos dish? You're already making shredded beef barbacao, not sure if that would work in machaca con huevos but it might. I'm picturing breakfast plate with the machaca con huevos, rice, refritos, and corn tortillas. The downside is maybe the dish isn't well known enough, but it can be so good.

Another idea for drinks. Beer Lao Dark has got a sort of Negro Modelo thing going on, well kind of anyway ...

Edited by Jingthing

Glad to hear you are free to do some custom menu items for your location. I thought you might be tied into the chain menu out of Bangkok.

As long as you're expanding the breakfast choices, maybe you might consider a machaca con huevos dish? You're already making shredded beef barbacao, not sure if that would work in machaca con huevos but it might. I'm picturing breakfast plate with the machaca con huevos, rice, refritos, and corn tortillas. The downside is maybe the dish isn't well known enough, but it can be so good.

Another idea for drinks. Beer Lao Dark has got a sort of Negro Modelo thing going on, well kinda of anyway ...

You drink beer for breakfast? ohmy.gif You just went up a notch in my mind....biggrin.gif

"Just for the ++ complainers (and also do not complain I never post here)"

Difficult to imagine that the place is adding 2100 to 3000 Baht per month to an employee's salary from the ++ scheme-- and since you've never posted here before, how would anyone know that you're not just a shill? . . . :D

The main point of the ++ scheme is that it is bad business practice and deceptive. If you want to sell 3 tacos for 220 Baht and add 17.7% after the fact, why not just say up front "3 Tacos 260 Baht"

Many people have posted here that they simply WILL NOT patronize a place that uses the ++ scheme. If the owner is shooting for the local HI-SOs and the "Bangkok Trendies" who probably don't even look at the finally tally on their check-bin, more power to him-- but it's doubtful if there's enough of that crowd to support such a scheme in Jomtien. Why not drop the ++ and attract more customers?

Play it straight and be up-front like most other restaurants in the area. You could still pad your employees pay to the tune of 3000 per month if you choose to, but you'd have most customers to help defray that expense.

Edited by SurfRider

Huevos Rancheros

And also ...

As I said in and earlier post I am a complete novice when it come's to Mexican food. It might taste great (It will need too) your chicken in dark mole sauce that is, to me look's like one of the most unappetising plate's of food I have ever seen.

As I said in and earlier post I am a complete novice when it come's to Mexican food. It might taste great (It will need too) your chicken in dark mole sauce that is, to me look's like one of the most unappetising plate's of food I have ever seen.

That's funny. Worse than Haggis? How about this one from Oaxaca? Uglier? I bet it tastes even better. Don't fret. We're VERY unlikely to see this dish in Thailand, at least cooked from scratch. It's quite a complex sauce to make.

post-37101-0-85511400-1323473009_thumb.j

http://www.grouprecipes.com/12086/oaxacan-black-mole-mole-negro.html

Huevos Rancheros

And also ...

Agree, mole sauces are disgusting...picture ra roast chicken in melted chocolate sauce and you begin to get the idea. Almost worst than haggis even :)