Sunrise Tacos Coming To Jomtien!

Jingthing

I read a post earlier that stated the enchiladas were made with flour tortillas.

I looked at the menu today and did see enchiladas with corn tortillas.

There was a menu item named ranchalidas made with flour tortillas.

The poster must have ordered the wrong item.

I have enjoyed everything I have ordered so far except the carne asada burrito. Tough meat.

"The poster" (aka. me) ordered ranchilada enchiladas because of the huge poster of enchiladas on the wall. I thought that must be a signature dish. I also thought, naturally, it would be made with corn tortilla as that is normal (never have seen an enchilada made with flour tortilla). And, at that time, I did not have my glasses, so I could not even read the menu :) Thus far, two food items have stood out: pumpkin pie and the entire salsa bar. I would like to see a cheese enchilada on the menu made with corn tortilla (hint, hint, hint) and that chewy, white Mexican cheese inside.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took some friends visiting Thailand from South Texas over to Sunrise in Jomtien yesterday. They were underwhelmed to put it mildly. Like some of the other posters in this thread they liked the clean facilities and the desserts a lot more than the average Mexican food served. We had a variety of items including burritos, enchiladas and tacos. Their most common comment about the food was it was bland. Total bill for 4 people with 2 drinks a piece was about 2000 Baht.

My take on Sunrise is that it is good to have a chain like that in Jomtien. That stretch of road now has some relatively good places to dine; e.g., Pig & Whistle, Shenanigans, Jolly Friar, etc. I've tried all of those and I would put Sunrise in the middle of the pack price wise and at the lower end of that group food wise. If you just have to have a "Mexican fix" and can't make it to Bangkok to Monitas or T&S, then Sunrise is ok but I would not make a special trip to eat there otherwise.

I read a post earlier that stated the enchiladas were made with flour tortillas.

I have enjoyed everything I have ordered so far except the carne asada burrito. Tough meat.

"The poster" (aka. me) ordered ranchilada enchiladas because of the huge poster of enchiladas on the wall. I thought that must be a signature dish. I also thought, naturally, it would be made with corn tortilla as that is normal (never have seen an enchilada made with flour tortilla). And, at that time, I did not have my glasses, so I could not even read the menu :) Thus far, two food items have stood out: pumpkin pie and the entire salsa bar. I would like to see a cheese enchilada on the menu made with corn tortilla (hint, hint, hint) and that chewy, white Mexican cheese inside.

Pumpkin pie slathered with salsa...sounds delicious...a new signature dish :lol:

Good luck sourcing Mexican cheese in THAILAND :D

If you just have to have a "Mexican fix" and can't make it to Bangkok to Monitas or T&S, then Sunrise is ok but I would not make a special trip to eat there otherwise.

Have you had a chance to try Diablo...a new place deep down Sukhumvit soi 22?

Yeah, the place near the Davis Hotel. It is a small place but the decor is pretty good, i.e., makes it look like an authentic Mexican restaurant. Although it isn't a chain like ST (which should stand for Sukhumvit Tacos given all of the outlets around these days ... there is another one in the new Terminal 21 mall at Asoke also)

I think this Diablo is associated with the one in CM but regardless you get more of a feeling at Diablo's that the food is made on the premises then you get at Sukhumvit Tacos and that the owner knows something about the cuisine. The cheese Quesadillas are great and the burritos tasty unlike the rather bland/mediocre fare at ST.

But it's great to have any Mexican food choice in Thailand these days. If you know just a little about Bangkok, e.g., how to get off Sukhumvit, you can find a lot better Mexican fare than ST, but then ST's market is probably more of the tourist that knows little about Mexican food and who thinks Slickman is a good source for news about Bangkok.

Pumpkin pie slathered with salsa...sounds delicious...a new signature dish :lol:

Good luck sourcing Mexican cheese in THAILAND :D

Ha ha.....the pumpkin is, I think, the best food item in the place. The salsa bar is second. Thais might like pumpkin pie with hot salsa on top. For me, the whipping cream on top was fine. Cheese? No doubt authentic Mexican cheese would be hard to find and very expensive to get. Surely, and no doubt Jingthing knows, there is a good and inexpensive substitute available here. I like the white-looking, sort of chewy cheese. Maybe Monterray Jack?

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

If you just have to have a "Mexican fix" and can't make it to Bangkok to Monitas or T&S, then Sunrise is ok but I would not make a special trip to eat there otherwise.

That's kind of the point, isn't it?

BTW, I like the Jolly Friar too but find it amusing to suggest that a Mexican place is directly competing with a British place. Many of us are specifically looking for Mexican food (or British) food and when we want that kind of food the choices are all the "Mexican" places in town, not all the chippies in town.

There is a pattern here of people commenting the food is too bland overall. Maybe the owner might consider upping the flavor a notch and/or there is always the SALSA BAR.

Edited by Jingthing

That's kind of the point, isn't it?

BTW, I like the Jolly Friar too but find it amusing to suggest that a Mexican place is directly competing with a British place. Many of us are specifically looking for Mexican food (or British) food and when we want that kind of food the choices are all the "Mexican" places in town, not all the chippies in town.

There is a pattern here of people commenting the food is too bland overall. Maybe the owner might consider upping the flavor a notch and/or there is always the SALSA BAR.

I am not suggesting that ST is directly competing with JF on a taco vs. fish basis, but both places like the similar-priced places that are sprouting up along that stretch of the road in Jomtien are all after the same/similar customer base(s). They are all mid-range eateries and none that spectacular enough to warrant a trip for the sole purpose of dining there.

Yes, that is an opinion; one from someone that has eaten at each place and except for ST ... more than once at each place. Having the relative luxury of what is on offer in Bangkok for Mexican fare, I wouldn't bother returning to ST, either in Jomtien or Bangkok.

Yeah, the place near the Davis Hotel. It is a small place but the decor is pretty good, i.e., makes it look like an authentic Mexican restaurant. Although it isn't a chain like ST (which should stand for Sukhumvit Tacos given all of the outlets around these days ... there is another one in the new Terminal 21 mall at Asoke also)

I think this Diablo is associated with the one in CM but regardless you get more of a feeling at Diablo's that the food is made on the premises then you get at Sukhumvit Tacos and that the owner knows something about the cuisine. The cheese Quesadillas are great and the burritos tasty unlike the rather bland/mediocre fare at ST.

But it's great to have any Mexican food choice in Thailand these days. If you know just a little about Bangkok, e.g., how to get off Sukhumvit, you can find a lot better Mexican fare than ST, but then ST's market is probably more of the tourist that knows little about Mexican food and who thinks Slickman is a good source for news about Bangkok.

:huh: Is ST a authentic Mexican Restaurant?

Decor-wise; I guess it is if you think Taco Bell is authentic Mexican.

Noticed that too...upping the spice quotient would probably be popular with the trendy Thai customers as well :)

Maybe not the Scandinavians and Russkies though? :ermm:

Yes, that is an opinion; one from someone that has eaten at each place and except for ST ... more than once at each place. Having the relative luxury of what is on offer in Bangkok for Mexican fare, I wouldn't bother returning to ST, either in Jomtien or Bangkok.

Fair enough, but I reckon most local residents are not inclined to travel to Bangkok (or East LA) every time they wish for a Mexican food fix.

Edited by Jingthing

Pure "Mexican" authenticity isn't really the point as there are so many different kinds of Mexican style food. To some people only food as served in Mexico City would be authentic. Good luck finding a California style burrito there (or any burrito).

On the other hand, it can be said objectively Taco Bell is not "authentic" ...

I recall reading that Taco Bell was entering the market in Mexico itself and their ads there made a point of saying they are NOT claiming to serve actual Mexican food.

Some items on the Sunrise Taco menu are authentically Mexican Mexican. Their California style burritos are authentic California style burritos. The best examples in the world? Not likely.

Edited by Jingthing

Pure "Mexican" authenticity isn't really the point as there are so many different kinds of Mexican style food. To some people only food as served in Mexico City would be authentic. Good luck finding a California style burrito there (or any burrito).

On the other hand, it can be said objectively Taco Bell is not "authentic" ...

I recall reading that Taco Bell was entering the market in Mexico itself and their ads there made a point of saying they are NOT claiming to serve actual Mexican food.

Some items on the Sunrise Taco menu are authentically Mexican Mexican. Their California style burritos are authentic California style burritos. The best examples in the world? Not likely.

Exactly, ST will never be the be all for Mexican food, and it is not trying to be. It is, however, a good addition to Jomtien restaurant choices.

Now, Taco Bell returning to Thailand ... that would make LOS a paradise again.

Why divert from the topic of this thread, SUNRISE, the exciting, NEW Mexican restaurant in town with the most ambitious Mexican food menu by far in the history of the province?

That is your opinion and you are entitled to that. I highly disagree with your opinion.

:ermm: Join the club! One person promotes the restaurant,controls the thread, and likes to acriticize.B)

There's an old saying "If it sounds to good to be true, it's usually not."

Also keep in mind all the time when reading the local "press" for food reviews, they are not even ALLOWED to publish negative food reviews.

Keep in mind when reading this thread, that Sunrise Taqueria is a sponsor of Thai Visa. :whistling:

You guys are a tough audience. It's kinda like trying to find an "authentic" Thai restaurant in Venice, Brussels or Phoenix. Ain't gonna happen. ST fills a gap. Dinning choices in Pattaya/Jomtien aren't that great anyways....especially compared to Bangkok.

I love "true" Mexican cuisine. Like I've had on my many trips to Mexico. But I also love Tex-Mex, Cal-Mex, hole in the wall Mex, whatever. All are great. Very hard to get here unless you import mammacita. ;)

Exactly, ST will never be the be all for Mexican food, and it is not trying to be. It is, however, a good addition to Jomtien restaurant choices.

The highlight of my weekly trip to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia was lunch in Taco Bell.

That's great for you and no doubt there is a market for American fast food Taco Bell in Thailand but there is also a market for good Mexican food.

That's great for you and no doubt there is a market for American fast food Taco Bell in Thailand but there is also a market for good Mexican food.

I would love to see Taco Bell here. But it would not be right for me to say why.

when one looks at the the overview of the Pattaya forum at any time of the day or night , it always says :

Replying to News Flash -- Sunrise Taqueria Coming To Jomtien!

Jingthing -10 minutes ago...............

Flattery with get you everywhere.

if you are not getting paid for this with free food or money, you dam_n well ought to be.........

when one looks at the the overview of the Pattaya forum at any time of the day or night , it always says :

Replying to News Flash -- Sunrise Taqueria Coming To Jomtien!

Jingthing -10 minutes ago...............

Flattery with get you everywhere.

if you are not getting paid for this with free food or money, you dam_n well ought to be.........

B) The way he promotes ST he must have part of the action.B)

B) The way he promotes ST he must have part of the action.B)

Can't help the silly things silly people think.

:crazy:

By all means, try this new place yourself and let us all know what your ordered and how you liked it! (Or why didn't like it.)

Tell them Jingthing sent you.

:coffee1:

The secret code word is ... santorum.:shock1:

Here is the naked truth. Yes I am very happy Sunrise Tacos opened in Jomtien. Yes I wish them great success and hope they make their Mexican food as good as it can be. Maybe our yapping here will help with that, maybe not. And yes I would also love to see OTHER established Bangkok and Chiang Mai Mexican places open locally.

Edited by Jingthing